• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

Apdiddy

What the hell is this game about? It looks like Children of Men in a war-torn country. I don't even know anymore.

I want to be excited but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man that music was SO GOOD.

I don't even own a PS4 or next gen anything. But that music sold me on getting hype.

... but whatever, this game is still 8 years away. So keep releasing bi-yearly trailers, that is fun!

BumRush

3iohvez.jpg

Hahaha!

Nzyme32

I want to get Hype but I have no idea if this game is coming out in 2021 or 2022

Wouldn't be surprised to see the scope and scale of the game gradually inflate. Either way I wouldn't really care - it's all about the quality and game at the end. Although the supposed PC version will be hilariously further out than that even.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
OK in the sea of gushing I say we look at the trailer again. I'm watching it now and babies, fetuses and the like seem to play a big roll. There is even a baby doll in the very beginning. Yet all these things seem either very valuable or rare or at least something to be protected as we can see Del Toro's character clutching the uhh... bottle baby close to his breast and constantly looking about in distress at the death filled war torn landscape full of tanks and troops and... viscera. I'm guessing children and youth, typical symbols of life and purity are not something easily found in the game world, perhaps even strikingly rare and under severe threat. In the past trailer with Reedus he was also holding a child and there was a lot of umbilical cord stuff going on.

In general it seems to be a huge contrast between the living, the young and human and everything else. I'm going to make a reaching guess based only on a hunch that this is some kind of limbo or place where death is quite literally real. We see the tank driving by on the bridge above and its quite literally covered in guts and gore. Of course this could be an actual regular, and use the term loosely, earth where some soldiers have gone nuts and covered their tank with guts of enemies or innocents but with everything else as crazy as it seems I don't think its the real world.

Perhaps in this death and war filled nightmare realm is filled with spirits of the dead? Of course we have nowhere near enough info but even at the end when Del Toro's characters seems to take refuge inside the tunnel under the bridge and once again baby doll seen glowing and floating away leading us further inwards. Then we get the troops with Mads Mikkleson and tentacles or something under the surface of the sewer water. I'm honestly not sure what to make of this scene yet. Still digesting things but just make tank on things after a few viewings of the trailer.

Camwi

Mads fucking Mikkelsen? I was on board after that beautiful first trailer, now the hype is just amplified as hell.

Betty

Banned
This is gonna be a technical masterpiece.

I can feel it.

MGSV was already with that rock stead 60fps 1080p open world goodness (even if it wasn't that full of life)

The art style and imagery blows away in Death Stranding blows away so many of it's competitors.

I have no doubt this trailer was running on PS4 PRO now. Every upcoming game should be showcased on PS4 PRO. Looks close to next-gen.

Stiler

From the trailer what I think the game is about is a limbo afterworld, a place where all of these people have went to after they've died and have regrets or things they felt unfinished with.

Hence why you have soldiers and things that look from different eras all in the same world.

It also would make sense for having the monsters and other wordly things in it.

I find it weird that Del Torro isn't ccredited anywhere and this makes me worried about him only being in this trailer and not actually involved in this game at all :(

DavidDesu

I'm all over this. Christ it looks incredible on the Pro. And it seemed to be, maybe, 60fps like MGSV?.. I really hope it is, the smoothness makes such a big difference.

Fuck me. Need a Pro and good 4K tv for when this comes out!

We are in an era where video games are catching up to cinema very quickly. Death Stranding is the closest to reach that goal.

I have no idea what this is or what its about

BUT I NEED IT

He wasn't kidding about the "connections" thing, almost looked like Mads was controlling the soldiers through those cables.

Bashtee

Like I said in the other thread, the only thing that trailer was missing was Junji Ito

Would be funny if del Torro and Junji Ito would actually work with Kojima on this. Just going by the style I think Ito at least left an impression on the team.

I find it weird that Del Torro isn't ccredited anywhere and this makes me worried about him only being in this trailer and not actually involved in this game at all :(

I am sure he is involved in this game since the game is about bonds and connections between people and this is what this photo is about:

jpg

kurahador

He is a part of the game and the full cast was teased some time ago:

jpg

That doesn't look like a cast tease to me. More like implying Kojima is keeping contact or consulting with GDT . And the game seems oozes Lovecraftian horror GDT good at.

I'm thinking the actual scene will be Norman Reedus butt naked, so this trailer is a clever way to circumvent that.

Top Bottom