• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Death Stranding + HDR = WOW

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
Can confirm

Pro hooked up to a mid-range 4k/HDR display.

im a graphics snob for the most part, I don’t heap praise lightly. The game is visually stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

my Pro went jet engine fans at beginning but seem a little quieter now
yep my pro moaned like a cheap hooker during the first half an hour but has been quiet since then.

Game looks beautiful..

Last edited:

Chunk Loves Sloth

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
After about the fans seem to be fine, strange. I have the quieter model and everything, they definitely went full blown jet engine for a bit at the beginning

Its amazing but RD2 on X in 4K is a lot more impressive imo, thats not to put DS down though as it's EASILY the best looking PS4 game I've played.
I don’t own an X, so I can’t directly compare, but I going into this directly after playing RDR2 on an average gaming PC.

I dunno if this is the best looking console game I’ve played. God of War really impressed me

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Verdanth

Oct 26, 2017
Played on Amateur and it is one of the best graphics I played this gem.

It is gorgeous, sharper IQ, great AA.
Can confirm

Pro hooked up to a mid-range 4k/HDR display.

im a graphics snob for the most part, I don’t heap praise lightly. The game is visually stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

my Pro went jet engine fans at beginning but seem a little quieter now
Got some bad news for your bro. It’s NOT native 4K. Will look blurry as hell on your 4K.

Try sitting as far as away as you can, or wait for PC version.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2013
Got some bad news for your bro. It’s NOT native 4K. Will look blurry as hell on your 4K.

Even low budget 4K tvs have near perfect upscaling from 1080p.

You seem to have very little first hand use of the technology.

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
My 4koled is ready for tonight.

It's gonna be hard to surpass rdr2 but we will see...

Skyr

Sep 4, 2013
Its amazing but RD2 on X in 4K is a lot more impressive imo, thats not to put DS down though as it's EASILY the best looking PS4 game I've played.
I would agree that RDR2s graphics are more impressive overall but the HDR implementation is truly the best I have ever seen in any game on my TV.
I also love the art style and color pallet which gives it an incredible realistic look.

Reactions: Chunk Loves Sloth

Kagey K

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2013
It looks pretty impressive from what I have seen and is definitley the best looking strand game out there right now
I get that it’s the best looking strand game, I have to give them that. Once you get past the wow, is it the best playing or most fun strand game?

• Thoughtful

DoctorEkkoUK

Dec 14, 2014
I get that it’s the best looking strand game, I have to give them that. Once you get past the wow, is it the best playing or most fun strand game?
I mean, strand games aren't really about fun. It's like drinking coffee at first it tastes bitter but you learn to appreciate the taste until you can't get enough. Strand games are meant to be boring at times and not fun at others thats part of what makes the whole experience complex and unique.

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
Haha is this a joke? Not even close of being the best looking game. Did you see RDR2 in NATIVE 4K? Looks so epic on my LG OLED
I don't know about him but i played rdr2 in native 4k. It is the best looking game of all time.

But death strandings environments look better. The mountain rocks especially look stunning. They almost have this photo realistic quality to them. Too early to say if ds will look better overall but its off to a good start.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DonF

Jul 10, 2017
After about the fans seem to be fine, strange. I have the quieter model and everything, they definitely went full blown jet engine for a bit at the beginning
I play mostly digital games, and my Pro is super quiet, but disc games make my console go nuts.
I think many people confuse the bd drive noise for the fan. The ps4 spins the disc super fast when installing and then when it checks the disc. Then it quiets down.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mckmas8808

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Only played for a couple of hours, but the game's visual presentation is impressive as hell. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and a LG 55" B6 (4K HDR) and it's breathtaking at times. I'm also impressed at just how little visual "bugs" there are. No pop-in or weird glitchy shadows or anything of the like make it feel really polished.

Are all of these cutscenes real time, too?

mckmas8808

Gold Member
May 24, 2005
Only played for a couple of hours, but the game's visual presentation is impressive as hell. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro and a LG 55" B6 (4K HDR) and it's breathtaking at times. I'm also impressed at just how little visual "bugs" there are. No pop-in or weird glitchy shadows or anything of the like make it feel really polished.

Does it feel like it looks better than Spiderman on the PS4 Pro?

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
HDR is great.
Don’t have a HDR TV but do have a laptop with a HDR screen and it makes games look great.
Can’t wait to see this game on PC.

thelastword

Apr 7, 2006

The power of a well done 1st party engine...…...In Decima I trust...…...This engine should be absolutely nuts come next gen....

LOLCats

Sep 5, 2013
I don't know about him but i played rdr2 in native 4k. It is the best looking game of all time.

But death strandings environments look better. The mountain rocks especially look stunning. They almost have this photo realistic quality to them. Too early to say if ds will look better overall but its off to a good start.

oh i didn't know there was a sex doll you can carry around in this game, maybe i will pick it up.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: ethomaz and Isa

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018

Is it at least "Faux-K"? I dunno some of the games with the reconstruction thingamajiga. The....fuck I forgot the name of it....

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why am I typing everything I'm thinking? Fuckin weirdo...they don't care...they probably like weirdos.

Ooop feel a poop incoming...

Edit:
CHECKERBOARDING!?

Last edited:
  • LOL
May 31, 2016
Toronto
noisackda.blogspot.ca

Damn! On graphics alone this is a 6.

Reactions: Psykodad

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Damn! On graphics alone this is a 6.
yea I've only been impressed with some of the character models. The water physics are terrible. Cutscenes are really nice. but people who are saying this is a graphical masterpiece when RDR2 was released this year? How soon we forget.