• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding is so good that it shouldn’t have a sequel

thelastword

Banned
"The most implausible thing about Death Stranding is that it exists at all. Hideo Kojima, its writer and director, has been saying that he wants to stop making Metal Gear Solid games for as long as he’s been making Metal Gear Solid games. Now, with a newly independent Kojima Productions receiving what appears to have been carte blanche from Sony to make whatever it wanted to as long as it was a PS4 game, Kojima’s first non-Metal Gear directorial project in decades is here

Death Stranding positively drips with Kojima’s aesthetic, from its evocative not-quite-English terminology to its willingness to break the fourth wall and confound your expectations. Although the setting is completely different, playing Death Stranding often feels like an alternative-universe Metal Gear spinoff where characters still stop what they’re doing for lengthy Codec phone calls. And yes, there are a lot of cutscenes in Death Stranding, directed with Kojima’s distinctive, less-than-subtle flair.

Much of the familiarity comes not just from Kojima, but from the people who he works with. Yoji Shinkawa’s unmistakable character design, which effortlessly blended the organic and the mechanical throughout the Metal Gear series, is the most obvious throughline here, with instantly iconic creations like the flapping flower-like Odradek sensor and the surreal BB tank. Shinkawa even found a way to include some bipedal mech designs in Death Stranding’s post-apocalyptic world.

There’s also DNA shared with the ill-fated Silent Hills project that caused Kojima to leave Konami in the first place. It starts with its star, Norman Reedus, while the intended co-director Guillermo del Toro had a facial performance captured for a major dubbed role. It’s also easy to see echoes of the cult favorite PT demo in Death Stranding’s ethereal, unsettling take on horror, even if certain fan theories may have gone a little too far.

Death Stranding isn’t perfect. But I like it so much that I don’t want it to have a sequel. It’s not that it wraps up everything about its story, that there’s no room for expansion, or even that the ending makes any sense at all. (Let’s just say I am looking forward to reading Reddit and wikis once this game is out in the wild.) But it shows what Kojima Productions can do with a blank slate, a bunch of funding, and a mandate to create something truly unique. It is very much not a game for everyone, of course, and I expect many players won’t make it past the opening hours. Nothing about Death Stranding is accidental, though. It exudes confidence in what it is.

“Hopefully they’ll come to some sort of agreement and that happens, or we do something very similar that’s different. I don’t know,” Norman Reedus said after Silent Hills was canceled. “I have faith that we’re going to do something though because it just seems like it was one of those things that needs to happen.”
Death Stranding was revealed just six months after Reedus’ comments and released a little more than three years later. That is a stunning turnaround for a project of this scale, ambition, and originality. What could the new Kojima Productions have achieved over the past 15 years if Kojima had managed to quit after Metal Gear Solid 3?

There is an alternate dimension in which that happened and we got several new games as weird, divisive, and brilliant as Death Stranding. But rather than rue what might have been, consider that Death Stranding’s release and likely commercial success point to an exciting new future for Kojima Productions, one where the studio can continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible in blockbuster game development — as long as Kojima doesn’t find himself trapped in another franchise, that is."

More at the link.....

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953031/death-stranding-hideo-kojima-metal-gear-solid-sequel

diffusionx

Gold Member
People don’t understand that you need a high IQ to understand the new stranding genre.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The delivering is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the steps will go over a typical player's head. There's also Sam's delivery outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from UPS commercials, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these backpacks, to realise that they're not just functional- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the depth in Sam's existential journey "Walk from point A to point B," which itself is a cryptic reference to Costner's Hollywood epic The Postman. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's genius gameplay unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Death Stranding tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Aggelos

Death Stranding isn’t perfect. But I like it so much that I don’t want it to have a sequel. It’s not that it wraps up everything about its story, that there’s no room for expansion, or even that the ending makes any sense at all.

The only way for Death Stranding not to have a sequel is by becoming a commercial failure, or just failing to break even as a business venture, for Kojima Productions. Then Kojima Pro would probably go belly up, or in case they still have capital left (or if they would be able to get loans/funding/subsidies) they might develop a new IP to save the day.

Otherwise, if the game becomes commercially successful, then business development takes inevitably over, everything slides inescapably towards business development and how to make more money. I mean, Kojima has to make sure that his dev studio will have future, since he's put money on the line to set up the independent Kojima Productions.
Thus, if a franchise (movie or video-game) becomes successful and sells well, then sequels unavoidably ensue. It's called business development.
Companies that operate (and are based) on profit(ability) are always looking for new opportunities to develop their business and sell more.
Therefore, for a sequel not to come to being, somehow we have to annul-revoke the idea of business development in itself. The matter of fact is that such an wild idea is not probable, as business development is one of the cornerstones of capitalism.... We're talking about a wild goose chase here.

Last edited:
I don't think it should have a sequel just because I want to see Hideo Kojima continue to make new IPs instead of sticking to the same one for decades like he did with Metal Gear.
This is why I'm hoping he stays as an independent second party studio for PlayStation.

He is already working on the next game, and it could be a brand new IP but shares similarities in terms of it being part of the Social Stand genre.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd prefer if Kojima made a new IP with each game.

He is kind of like Hidetaka Miyazaki (Dark Souls) in that he intentionally leaves gaps for the player's imagination to stretch its legs. The bigger and more detailed his worlds become with each passing title in a series, the less space there is for imagination.

He is kind of like Hidetaka Miyazaki (Dark Souls) in that he intentionally leaves gaps for the player's imagination to stretch its legs. The bigger and more detailed his worlds become with each passing title in a series, the less space there is for imagination.
I wonder what Kojima thinks of Miyazaki.....

I'm gonna be playing Death Stranding on January 1st, 2020. To mark the new decade, I shall become a Patient Gamer just like my Papa on GAF :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
People don’t understand that you need a high IQ to understand the new stranding genre.
To make a genre, it has to catch on with other developers. It tends to happen naturally as more developers add their own flair to it. Battle Royale happened that way. The way Kojima is going about it seems...well...unnatural.

John Day

This is why I'm hoping he stays as an independent second party studio for PlayStation.

He is already working on the next game, and it could be a brand new IP but shares similarities in terms of it being part of the Social Stand genre.

Imagine a Kojima game where you’re a journalist piecing together stories with the help of other players via the Strand system. 😱

To make a genre, it has to catch on with other developers. It tends to happen naturally as more developers add their own flair to it. Battle Royale happened that way. The way Kojima is going about it seems...well...unnatural.

Speaking of.. BR games were definitely inspired by MGO2's stealth deathmatch mode, it's like a mini BR mode.

zenspider

The only way for Death Stranding not to have a sequel is by becoming a commercial failure, or just failing to break even as a business venture, for Kojima Productions. Then Kojima Pro would probably go belly up, or in case they still have capital left (or if they would be able to get loans/funding/subsidies) they might develop a new IP to save the day.

Otherwise, if the game becomes commercially successful, then business development takes inevitably over, everything slides inescapably towards business development and how to make more money. I mean, Kojima has to make sure that his dev studio will have future, since he's put money on the line to set up the independent Kojima Productions.
Thus, if a franchise (movie or video-game) becomes successful and sells well, then sequels unavoidably ensue. It's called business development.
Companies that operate (and are based) on profit(ability) are always looking for new opportunities to develop their business and sell more.
Therefore, for a sequel not to come to being, somehow we have to annul-revoke the idea of business development in itself. The matter of fact is that such an wild idea is not probable, as business development is one of the cornerstones of capitalism.... We're talking about a wild goose chase here.

That's not necessarily true of books, theater, music, or film - it's stranger that gaming is such a sequel heavy mediu. That more likely has nothing to do with "business development" as some kind of intrinsic tilt to the universe, but rather the economy of development and the economy of technology obsolescence.

Death Stranding's success ought to be Kojima "breaking the wheel" so to speak.

Last edited:

Shifty

The review thread's gotten to bad that the reviews are trying to escape :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And I for one am all for it. You can't find the information for the shouting in there anymore.

That MGS3 comparison is fightin' words, I hope it holds up.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
That whould be great for the game to not have a sequel, so we can prevent being flooded with topics about it.

Virex

Banned
KojiPro should call the next Death Stranding game : "Death Stranding 2 - Walking Shoes Of Liberty"

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Well 5 hours Into the Game. Well Made and exactly what I was looking for. Looking to become my GOAT. Enjoy your journey Friends!
Yes yes, played about two hours this morning, excellent stuff all round.....I really like the animation when Sam tries to balance his backpack on rocky terrain, makes sense....

Nero_PR

Banned

That is a strange way to spell Fumito Ueda or Yoko Taro. There are actually a lot more people like them in the industry, but these are the ones that come to my mind right now.

Caffeine

The same could be said for Breath of The Wild, but here we are....
breath of the wild left longing for good dungeons which hopefully the sequel does, the first game only did world building, but it still missed the mark on a lot of staples in the franchise, dungeons being 1 of them.
death stranding feels complete upon finishing You could do a sequel, but I would rather have kojima pump out multiple new ip's and then worry about sequels down the road.

Freeman76

The part in chapter 2 where you leave the base for your first trip to the incinerator, where the camera zooms out and that song kicks in, was worth the money I spent on this game alone. The FEELS!!! I dont even care if the rest of the game is a turd, that was an amazing moment.

Was that the stand alone multiplayer behind mgs4? I only played it a time or two. But ill take your word for it

Here the mode. Difference is that you're camouflaged unless you get shot at, or outside of the circle. And you choose your starting weapons in this video but the host could change things up quite a bit.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The same could be said for Breath of The Wild, but here we are....

Wasn't a big fan of Botw although I finished it. Botw definitely needs a sequel with a more fleshed out, populated world, better bosses and dungeons like old school Zelda not the repetitive shrine shit we got. Im looking forward to seeing what thy do with the botw sequel.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
never understood this bullshit logic.

"i love this game so much! i don't want any more of it"

i see it all the time with Bloodborne. People start hissing and spitting when a sequel is mentioned "no sequel!! it's too good!!!!"

i love Bloodborne and would love a sequel.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Here the mode. Difference is that you're camouflaged unless you get shot at, or outside of the circle. And you choose your starting weapons in this video but the host could change things up quite a bit.

LOL @ the random gun just floating in the air. Looks pretty fun actually

GymWolf

Sounds like

Wow, this was the most perfect blowjob, now walk away, i don't wanna fuck your beautiful ass too.

So...bullshit i guess...

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
never understood this bullshit logic.

"i love this game so much! i don't want any more of it"

i see it all the time with Bloodborne. People start hissing and spitting when a sequel is mentioned "no sequel!! it's too good!!!!"

i love Bloodborne and would love a sequel.
I agree. It's also how I feel about the bs logic ppl have when a game has come out with a great campaign and mp but if it's announced it won't have an mp they say "omg yes now thy can just focus on the sp" Total bs and stupidity imo.

Bkdk

Absolutely don’t want any more of this, a silent hill spiritual successor would be way better. It suits Kojima. Less focus on gameplay, more cutscene, discoveries, weirdness and Mysteries. This one will likely end up as most disappointing AAA single player campaign of this gen. Sigh.

Top Bottom