• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

DonF

i've noticed the lights in the private room change colors, is this relevant or provides any information?

also, are bt zones random, scripted or both? I just went back to the first area and the bt zones are, i feel, the same.

i'm loving the game, its so freaking weird.

i've noticed the lights in the private room change colors, is this relevant or provides any information?

also, are bt zones random, scripted or both? I just went back to the first area and the bt zones are, i feel, the same.

I don't know if any are random, but there are definitely static BT areas.

Roni

Gold Member

BT areas are random from the second area onwards. In the first area, as far as I've noticed, they're static.

VertigoOA

Banned
The Sony and monster energy advertising is annoying...

it made the licensed music tracks shitty compared to mgsv’s (which was fucking amazing).

listening to the phantom pain soundtrack right now at work.

Don’t care what the hate was back then... MGSV is fucking awesome

Roni

Gold Member
Zip lines are so OP. Feel like I’m cheating.

I don't use them unless I've made the trek on foot first, or I'm in a real bind.

I'm okay with it in that I've had to set up about three quarters of them myself. There is no way I would want to trudge back and forth through this snow so many times.

I actually enjoy making journeys on foot to the most isolated and unlikely places in the game.

I find myself not using the roads and zip lines unless I'm grinding something.

Last edited:
I'm okay with it in that I've had to set up about three quarters of them myself. There is no way I would want to trudge back and forth through this snow so many times.

I noticed that the game will only pull one or two zip lines from other porters in any one area. It’s handy for mopping up stars. They take a lot of chiral power so you can’t flood the entire map, but I find I’m cleaning out about 5 outposts to max 5 stars then I’ll delete them all and do the same in a diff area.

Coconutt

Just finished chapter 9 and just wow.

I'm so confused wtf, could have sworn I reached the end of the game, now i gotta cross the entire map to get back to Lake Knot City. Was Bridget the true villain all along?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
How can you enjoy about something you don't even fully understand??

Especially in a game like this where cutscene with story bits are kinda the big payoff...

Mgs was always crystal clear compared to this game....

This made me think, and I probably enjoy stuff I don't fully understand more that the other way around. Jodorowsky movies like someone mentioned... 2001... Twin Peaks...

GymWolf

This made me think, and I probably enjoy stuff I don't fully understand more that the other way around. Jodorowsky movies like someone mentioned... 2001... Twin Peaks...
I'm the opposite, when i don't understand some films or serial or vg i search on the internet and forums for some clarification.

Terce

Important question and I don't think it's been touched on yet.

While you have the choice to knock out or kill hostile NPC's, the question on the back of my mind is can I put someone only knocked out into the incenerator? I want to raise my reputation as a porter who will burn you alive if you screw with me

nowhat

While you have the choice to knock out or kill hostile NPC's, the question on the back of my mind is can I put someone only knocked out into the incenerator? I want to raise my reputation as a porter who will burn you alive if you screw with me
:D I don't have an answer for you, but I like the way you think.

imsosleepy

dam im stil stuck in chapter 3 :D
Just farmed some chyral chrystals by getting caught by a Bt. Man that whole mechanic is just awesome as fuck, and that battle gets quite easy when u get more weapons.

I really think Kojima made a massive mistake with their big e3 trailer by not showing any vehiciles or guns because the especially the guns they are really fun. I cant get enough of trapping mules with the bola gun lol, and there are so many of them!

Also just finally got the floating carriers and geez those are fun as fuck to ride down mountains lol

I am having way, way, way more fun traversing in this game then in zelda..

Sometimes I can slide down a mountain on my floaty thingy,
sometimes there is a sweet highway i can speed along on,
sometimes im wakling in the middle of no where and I come across a bike or a base where I can make one and ride hard

And the walking really is not tedious anymore because Kojima made plenty of upgrades that made the walking alot more easier and sweeter. The more I play the more i'm sure most reviewers quit before chapter 3 lol and I dont even have ziplines yet :eek:

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I gotta admit, I've been having a blast in the mountain region connecting the place with zip lines. The mountaineering in this game is just a ton of fun for me.

I found a bunch of zip lines in my world, but they weren’t really connected well. I spent some time climbing around and adding a few more connection points to bring it all together and now it’s much quicker to get around. Pretty satisfying in the end.

Kagero

Oh right MGSV is an exception to the rule, coincidentally it's also the worst game in the series. And the only people who don't see it are Kojima cultists who love to smell his farts as much as Kojima himself.
You're talking out of your ass Mr. Butz.

Just finish! Pass midnight and have to work tomorrow. Played from the moment I arrived home.

damn what a journey, didn’t played a game until so late for maybe 10 years.

Didn’t count more than 35 hours and I didn’t rush it. Haven’t even used zip lines and taking difficult route to avoid all bts , for me was really slow walk. Lol

Awesome game!

Last edited:

I don't think you can put unconscious people in body bags. No body bag, no carry.

nowhat

Didn’t count more than 35 hours and I didn’t rush it.
I clocked about similar hours. It really depends on how OCD you are (or how much you want to do the side deliveries/contribute to building roads and such). But I could have spent much, much more. Which I think I will after some time, from the start, don't want to burn myself out with this game.

HotPocket69

Banned
The Sony and monster energy advertising is annoying...

it made the licensed music tracks shitty compared to mgsv’s (which was fucking amazing).

listening to the phantom pain soundtrack right now at work.

Don’t care what the hate was back then... MGSV is fucking awesome

the song “Ludens” from Bring Me The Horizon is great

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This video is still accurate when it comes to depicting fanboys like you who cry about a game not getting 100/100 scores.

O25rLIL.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just wanted to say this is one of the best games i've ever played. It's a masterpiece in game design. Any game that makes walking this much fun and engaging deserves all the praise in the world.

Oh and the online implementation is nothing short of revolutionary. The feeling of relief you get when finding a ladder or a rope after you have used up all your gear is nothing short of ecstasy. Building roads, bridges and generators and getting flooded with likes (up to 750k likes now) is an amazing feeling. I helped.

I only wish the story was as good as the cutscenes look. its nothing compared to MGS so far.

P.S Ziplines are the most fun ive had gaming in like forever.

nowhat

Oh and the online implementation is nothing short of revolutionary. The feeling of relief you get when finding a ladder or a rope after you have used up all your gear is nothing short of ecstasy. Building roads, bridges and generators and getting flooded with likes (up to 750k likes now) is an amazing feeling. I helped.
I don't think this can be overstated. I'm someone who really doesn't do online multiplayer at all, and I so wish all of social media would go the way of the dodo, so it's not like I'm addicted to getting likes from my peers, let alone strangers. Yet here, getting and giving help from/to other players (that you never interact directly with) is somehow really rewarding. I know I've showered a ton of praise to some generators and bridges that are just there when I've needed them the most. I hope I've contributed too. And it's not like you can choose who are in your game world, unless you're extremely lucky it'll all be strangers. Altruism as a game mechanic, it really is a novel approach.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't think this can be overstated. I'm someone who really doesn't do online multiplayer at all, and I so wish all of social media would go the way of the dodo, so it's not like I'm addicted to getting likes from my peers, let alone strangers. Yet here, getting and giving help from/to other players (that you never interact directly with) is somehow really rewarding. I know I've showered a ton of praise to some generators and bridges that are just there when I've needed them the most. I hope I've contributed too. And it's not like you can choose who are in your game world, unless you're extremely lucky it'll all be strangers. Altruism as a game mechanic, it really is a novel approach.
i spent hours putting up ziplines connecting every single mountain base to cut down travel time between bases to seconds. i dont get much likes on them for some reason but it was an extremely rewarding experience for myself. especially since i had to really put myself at risk climbing up steep mountains and standing at the top trying to find a steep slope to place it on.

I also spent an insane amount of time logging materials and building roads. game says ive built almost 50 roads myself. every time i do that i get flodded with likes form people using it which makes it all worth it. even though likes dont really do much in the grand scheme of things.

i spent hours putting up ziplines connecting every single mountain base to cut down travel time between bases to seconds. i dont get much likes on them for some reason but it was an extremely rewarding experience for myself. especially since i had to really put myself at risk climbing up steep mountains and standing at the top trying to find a steep slope to place it on.

I also spent an insane amount of time logging materials and building roads. game says ive built almost 50 roads myself. every time i do that i get flodded with likes form people using it which makes it all worth it. even though likes dont really do much in the grand scheme of things.
About ziplines a theory is that only a few structures are shared between worlds. That's why you see so many ziplines not connected to anything.

Barakov

Gold Member
Just finished chapter 9 and just wow.

I'm so confused wtf, could have sworn I reached the end of the game, now i gotta cross the entire map to get back to Lake Knot City. Was Bridget the true villain all along?
Definitely my feeling on that part. Kojimbo went all in on the traveling across America part. This game is the most egregious example of padding I've ever seen.

psorcerer

Banned
About ziplines a theory is that only a few structures are shared between worlds. That's why you see so many ziplines not connected to anything.

Not only that. It seems none of your structures are shared before you quit or suspend the game.

I also see a lot of badly placed zipline anchors: low ground, bad lines of sight, etc.

A question for people who already finished the game.

The course of events and revelations in chapter 8-9 are gonna be much more clear going on right??

Because if kojima think that it was already clear he made a huge mistake, or maybe i'm jist too dumb to understand...
I'm talking abiout all the
higgs and amelie situation, heartman revelations, the boss fight, the extiction entity mumbo jumbo, the umbilical cord etc.

This shit make mgs story the most clear and down to earth plot ever in comparison...
Yes, but some details can still get confusing. There will also be some emails/interviews that you can read

Hold down the PS button for a second to pop out the side menu, and you should be able to select source like Spotify or USB device.
I thought someone said spotify is disabled in this game.
It's really surprising that there's no mp3 player or walkman in this game you can listen to while traversing.

Man, the ending is very long.

Oh well. I loved the gameplay except for the boss fights.
The story has two sides. The one about pseudo scientific spiritual mumbo jumbo was meh. The other i enjoyed more.
All characters were very charming.
Technically was jaw droping. Can't wait to see this game on pc. Someone has to make a MAGA hat mod.

I give it an 8. It's my GOTY.

Last edited:

Kagero

Listened to Sacred symbols (CLS) this morning and grinned from ear to ear. I was almost convinced those dudes were going to shit all over this game. They get it. Excellent impressions from both of them. This is a special game that could have never happened if it wasn’t for someone like Kojima. I’m glad they see it that way.

KiNeMz

Banned
Listened to Sacred symbols (CLS) this morning and grinned from ear to ear. I was almost convinced those dudes were going to shit all over this game. They get it. Excellent impressions from both of them. This is a special game that could have never happened if it wasn’t for someone like Kojima. I’m glad they see it that way.
Agreed. This made me happy.

Valonquar

Just arrived at post-endgame. Great story-line. Lots of interesting lore. I laughed when I saw the Kobo Abe quote at the start of the game. Abe's books are really surreal and it's no suprise Kojima is a fan. I highly recommend Kangaroo Notebook and Inter Ice Age 4. The Face of Another probably inspired some stuff in DS & The Box Man likely inspired some stuff in the MGS games.

There were only a few times I wanted to football spike BB into the ground. It got notably better when I set it to BB on controller speaker and then turned that sound down to zero.

So....
If Sam is actually Cliff's BB, then why do we get flashbacks with Cliff when we connect to Lou? Just her acting as a bridge? So Lou is just completely random baby or are we supposed to know where she came from? Is it suggested that it might somehow really be Sam's OG Lou?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it last night. I passed on a bunch of the side stuff because I wanted to see the game unfold. I really enjoyed it. It’s hard finding a game that includes so much detail around delivering packages. It included emotions that I don’t often have for characters. I love Fragile. I felt like I lived in their world. Lots of times good game(s) can’t display that type of empathy or they give it to you underneath everything else. I felt like I was fighting the fight by just getting to the objective. The rough spots like getting around obstacles was the game giving me a playground of sorts. I had to plan ahead, think about what I needed, and rely on chance.

I don’t think everyone will see that. The grounded character with a noticeable objective isn’t a bad thing, but Death Stranding makes you view your next decision as your last.

The whole complete circle at the end was neat. I did feel for Cliff. It was an enraged father who wanted his son back. During the first trailer for Death Stranding he seemed like a end boss type. He felt like some military leader and now I’m pleasantly surprised by how it unfolded. The ending part was a bit long. I ran around that beach for what felt like forever and there was no skip button for the credits lol

Last edited:
Just arrived at post-endgame. Great story-line. Lots of interesting lore. I laughed when I saw the Kobo Abe quote at the start of the game. Abe's books are really surreal and it's no suprise Kojima is a fan. I highly recommend Kangaroo Notebook and Inter Ice Age 4. The Face of Another probably inspired some stuff in DS & The Box Man likely inspired some stuff in the MGS games.

There were only a few times I wanted to football spike BB into the ground. It got notably better when I set it to BB on controller speaker and then turned that sound down to zero.

So....
If Sam is actually Cliff's BB, then why do we get flashbacks with Cliff when we connect to Lou? Just her acting as a bridge? So Lou is just completely random baby or are we supposed to know where she came from? Is it suggested that it might somehow really be Sam's OG Lou?
In episode 1, Deadman explains when Dooms and BB get connected their feelings and memories cause feedback.

I also read someone saying BBs are clones (not necessarily Sam's) but I haven't read the emails/interviews to confirm it myself.

Last edited:

Shrap

One thing I really want to complain about is other players putting stuff in your way. Mainly vehicles. At the moment I'm trying to 5 star the cosplayer's shelter and some piece of shit intentionally jammed their truck in the entrance so you can't get in. I've got in the truck and jumped, reversed and moved like crazy but I still can't get it out.

Fuck you to whoever did it. I hope a BT drags you into the abyss while a mule sticks an electrical rod up your cargo chute.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At times, playing as Sam feels just like carrying a real baby and the cargo. Some logical thinkers might disagree, but that sense of emotion for your cargo is what a father feels like going for a stroll with a baby in a carrier. I’ve been out of the OT for a while.

Top Bottom