• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Mista

Banned
01-TITLE.jpg

02-SYNOPSIS.jpg

03-KJP.jpg

05-GAMEPLAY.jpg

06-EDITIONS.jpg

08a-MEDIA.jpg

10-END.jpg

A Special Thank You To GeistUnit GeistUnit Because If It Weren't For Him This Wouldn't Have Happened

Last edited:

ROMhack

This is the official thread to shit on death stranding, right?

Let me get the party started...

OMG it sucks. I hate walking. Ugh reminds me of the time I had to wait for a fedex delivery but it didn't arrive. OMG Kojima is so overrated. Why can't he make MGS3 again?! My feet hurt.

:)

P.s. amazing work with the OP!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Cannot wait, especially because I truthfully do not know if the gameplay is going to work for me.

It might seem like a small thing to prioritize traversal over combat to some, but in my opinion its an extremely brave and radical creative choice - particularly at the scale Death Stranding is as a project.

Obviously just the absence of combat alone isn't that novel in the AAA space, especially for Sony who have extensively published high budget "interactive movie"-style games typified by Quantic Dream and Supermassive's output, the difference here is that what Kojima is doing is trying to challenge killing and/or being killed as the focal point of an "action" game.

That is the crucial differentiation it seems, because that specific dynamic has always been a staple conceit in stealth games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cannot wait, especially because I truthfully do not know if the gameplay is going to work for me.

It might seem like a small thing to prioritize traversal over combat to some, but in my opinion its an extremely brave and radical creative choice - particularly at the scale Death Stranding is as a project.

Obviously just the absence of combat alone isn't that novel in the AAA space, especially for Sony who have extensively published high budget "interactive movie"-style games typified by Quantic Dream and Supermassive's output, the difference here is that what Kojima is doing is trying to challenge killing and/or being killed as the focal point of an "action" game.

It all swings back to the very first Metal Gear. Where the combat loop would not work, so he created a stealth genre, everyone (his peers, bosses, etc.) "did not get it", and look what happened with that.

Not saying this will have the very same impact, but I can understand him not being afraid to try new things.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Rosetta stone I guess is the whole Rope/Stick analogy, which seemed kinda high-falutin' at first, but its actually a very precise and on-point articulation of the way that the toolset of gaming has always leaned so hard towards the destructive.

Violence and conflict tends to be use as a one-size-fits-all solution both diegetically and mechanically, and with DS Kojima is trying to go in the other direction. Altruistic tools that construct, connect, and bind together, as opposed to those that destroy, expel, and divide.

Wink

It all swings back to the very first Metal Gear. Where the combat loop would not work, so he created a stealth genre, everyone (his peers, bosses, etc.) "did not get it", and look what happened with that.

Not saying this will have the very same impact, but I can understand him not being afraid to try new things.
Gonna once again also point to the story of the making of Demon's Souls and how Sony told them to shove off with this game that is so hard that it'd just kill you over and over again cause no significant enough amount of people would ever wanna play this frustrating mess.

ManaByte

The PSN pre-order dynamic theme is locked until the game releases. Is that normal? I don’t remember that happening with Spider-Man.

MiguelItUp

This is beautiful! I love seeing the work that folks put into the OTs, it's always awesome. Kudos across the board! I've been intrigued by the look of Death Stranding's world ever since we all saw it for the first time. I can't believe it's finally coming out. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I'm in a small predicament though, I preordered the collector's from Best Buy which was said to be received on or by release date. It hasn't shipped yet! :messenger_pensive:

I guess it could still ship today and be received Friday depending on where it's coming from. But man, it feels like it's cutting it close. :pie_thinking:

I was seriously debating buying it digital just so I could for SURE play on Friday as I took a day off of work and everything... STILL UP IN THE AIR! 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom