• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yh, I get what you mean.

My issue is how convoluted it all works.
If you overloaded yourself, you have to go to options, pick Cargo, select the items you want to drop, confirm your choices, then hold X to confirm once again and then confirm your confirmation.

Could've been handled a lot better.

Wonder if this is something that could have options to adjust in a patch like past games have done after feedback.

ethomaz

Banned
Yh, I get what you mean.

My issue is how convoluted it all works.
If you overloaded yourself, you have to go to options, pick Cargo, select the items you want to drop, confirm your choices, then hold X to confirm once again and then confirm your confirmation.

Could've been handled a lot better.
I did not reached that level of menu use :D :D :D
I just finished chapter 2.

Last edited:

alienator

i put so many packages on me that Katamari Damacy called that they wanted their junk back.

3 hours in i can see this game is not for the average fortnite audience (and i might sound like a snob now) this game is very engaging, forces u to think and i only seen the tip of the iceberg.

The scenery is very breathtaking, incredible graphics, the gameplay sofar relaxing until u hit a BT spot, that stuff scared the living crap out of me.

And about the multiplayer part.. it just struck me, i was climbing a mountain on my way thinking on top, how the heck do i get down there...

only to find a rope placed by another player.

utterly brilliant... sofar =)

Geki-D

Banned
I’m-game dlc are unlocks as you progress. I haven’t gotten any of the avatars though but my lady did
Nah, the sunglasses weren't even in the list of stuff in the DLC. They're not listed in my content. Same for the avatar, it just wasn't in the DLC.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m not ready to hype it up as I’m so early in the game, but it’s clear that people like D dark10x were right, and there’s a lot more to the terrain traversal than some outlets were saying.

It’s consistently engaging in a way that no other open-world traversal is. Your brain is always humming along, trying to find the best path forward.

I need to get further into the game to see where I stand on it, but serious props to Kojima for finding a totally unique style of gameplay for a big adventure, that isn’t about dealing with enemies in some manner. That is not something we see in gaming very often, especially in blockbuster gaming.

Oh btw:
I was prepared today when I launched the game :D
7p3mkxK.jpg
i ta podkladka z cd action :D

I'm seeing the public opinions now and I don't understand what got into people.
Must be because I'm on the internet seeing the "trolls" talking, right?

As a long "semi-fan" of Kojima's games I know very well his limitations as a writer. He is kinda the George Lucas of gaming, his dialogues are subpar. Is almost always just nerd babble. The way characters talk, like for example in this case Deadman, is just unbelievable. Makes you want to get Kojima by the neck and ask "WHY?!".
But anyway, what I think is strange is how I'm seeing people taking everything so seriously. There's a lot of ridiculous phrases, but isn't obvious that Kojima was aware of this?
It's common knowledge that his games are self aware in the sense that they remember you that they are video games. In this case this aspect in even stronger. The game is always remembering with that it's a game. The characters frequently say something to indicate this reality and they also frequently joke with each other about this. Then someone screencap one of those scenes and uploads saying "look how ridiculous this is!". Yes, it's ridiculous, that's part of the purpose.

Despite goes to extreme lengths to explain everything, the game also remembers that it's all just otaku masturbation, it's not that seriously, don't pay that much attention. Pay attention however to the overall themes and messages, but this is being almost entirely ignored, and in a way makes me suspicious that it's intentional.

What are the opinions about this here?
As I was discussing in another place, I believe that this game makes some comments about the USA that the people in this hemisphere may dislike.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Also, the ‘connection’ stuff surprisingly lives up to the hype.

It was an absolute joy to find two ladders and a rope, saving me a ton of time and difficulty scaling the mountain towards the incinerator, and I spammed the like button for it. I hope that player starts up the game and realizes how genuinely helpful and awesome that was.

I was kind of worried, before the game came out, that it would feel like somebody did the work for me, but in actuality, it just felt like a natural part of the terrain gameplay, and a considerate helping hand from another player.

ManaByte

Also, the ‘connection’ stuff surprisingly lives up to the hype.

It was an absolute joy to find two ladders and a rope, saving me a ton of time and difficulty scaling the mountain towards the incinerator, and I spammed the like button for it. I hope that player starts up the game and realizes how genuinely helpful and awesome that was.

I was kind of worried, before the game came out, that it would feel like somebody did the work for me, but in actuality, it just felt like a natural part of the terrain gameplay, and a considerate helping hand from another player.

I think those ladders and rope are there for everyone as part of the "tutorial".

MacReady13

Not too sure what made me make the initial purchase, especially after hearing the game wasn't "fun", but after playing for a while i'm not quite sure what game the reviewers were playing. Game is great so far! Traversal is always interesting and fun, and there is almost an element of strategy to getting around. I'm really enjoying my time with the game and can't wait to play more!

Verdanth

The intro song is stray out of Netflix's Dark. As soon as it started playing, it reminded me of Dark.

So far, so good, digging the setting, the story and the gameplay. But I need to play more to see if the gameplay gets repetitive or not.

The terrain is the main opponent in this game. Really like the traversal and the mechanic to balance Sam.

It's different and refreshing.

Last edited:
I’m not ready to hype it up as I’m so early in the game, but it’s clear that people like D dark10x were right, and there’s a lot more to the terrain traversal than some outlets were saying.

It’s consistently engaging in a way that no other open-world traversal is. Your brain is always humming along, trying to find the best path forward.

I need to get further into the game to see where I stand on it, but serious props to Kojima for finding a totally unique style of gameplay for a big adventure, that isn’t about dealing with enemies in some manner. That is not something we see in gaming very often, especially in blockbuster gaming.

Can you see this being repetitive and annoying at some point, or each delivery is uniquely designed? Thx!

Got a sealed copy sitting around, will crack it open this weekend.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you see this being repetitive and annoying at some point, or each delivery is uniquely designed? Thx!

I believe you make every delivery unique.
If you do the same in all delivery it will be the same but if you choose to creative and do each delivery in a unique way it will be unique.
This games has a blast of possibilities for delivery.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

It’s hard to say. It’s not like any other game, on top of being early, so all the usual points of comparison fall flat, and I don’t have enough experience. Hopefully, someone a bit ahead of me can chime in.

I did notice that the game seems to be ramping up, adding more and more challenges, and elements, so I think it’s going to follow an evolving gameplay curve similar to other games.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Anybody got an idea on how to fix the Power Skeleton? I got the hang of the battery but don’t know how to replenish the durability bar

Wink

Unsurprisingly, loving the shit out of the route planning, nothing fetch questy about this to me. Really engaging systems. What a fucking boss to make a game with such specific niche appeal. Thanks to the wider world buying it on launch day even though chances are slim you'll enjoy it. Hope KoProd gets bathed in money and can continue doing whatever the fuck it wants.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One criticism I have the game so far, and I realize this is really subjective, but goddamn the names of the characters are so embarrassingly stupid. I'm doing my first playthrough in Japanese as I always do with Kojima games, but even then, it's hard not to cringe at these names. I'm trying to not let them hamper my enjoyment of the story, but it's hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
One criticism I have the game so far, and I realize this is really subjective, but goddamn the names of the characters are so embarrassingly stupid. I'm doing my first playthrough in Japanese as I always do with Kojima games, but even then, it's hard not to cringe at these names. I'm trying to not let them hamper my enjoyment of the story, but it's hard.

It's one of those games that you should play with english dialogs to enjoy the acting of the original actors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I mean, "Old Snake", etc., lol.

Shifty

Okay I swear I just saw BB flip Guillermo the bird when Sam hands him over in the cutscene at the start of chapter 2.

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

Samantha America Strand is the greatest thing I’ve ever heard in a videogame. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t know. I honestly just like it at this point. Diehard Man is a lot more memorable and entertaining than some regular looking guy with a generic first and last name.

I think things like that used to be part of the flavor of videogames, and we’ve kind of lost that.

Plus, for others, the whole thing of your last name is your organization, and the middle is your purpose, is kinda cool.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Samantha America Strand is the greatest thing I’ve ever heard in a videogame. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t know. I honestly just like it at this point. Diehard Man is a lot more memorable and entertaining than some regular looking guy with a generic first and last name.

I think things like that used to be part of the flavor of videogames, and we’ve kind of lost that.

Plus, for others, the whole thing of your last name is your organization, and the middle is your purpose, is kinda cool.

He uses metaphor and essentially meme'd the character names. Something we all do online.

For your last sentence, kind of native in a way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of those games that you should play with english dialogs to enjoy the acting of the original actors.

Oh, I will on my second playthrough (assuming I end up liking the game). I just like to first experience game content in the native language of the creator whenever possible.

I mean, "Old Snake", etc., lol.

Fair enough, but at least I could excuse that as being a code name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
The durability bar is not recharged with the generator but with the repair spray. The generator just replenishes battery.
Ah then my bad. I thought the battery icon represented the battery and not the bar. Thanks for the clarification
The plans become available through the main quest line in episode 3.
Nice. I just finished connecting the places there and now heading back to the main place. Thanks bro

For anyone that needs the collectibles, each time you complete a main order or simple order sleep a few times to let new emails come. Some of those mails mention the appearance of shiny objects. Only then the collectibles appear. You need to scan near the collectible though to see it, but without reading the mail is not even rendered.

One more tip (though it's easily noticable). Each Facility houses it's own material storage that replenishes with each order. It's faster and easier to do orders to gather materials than collecting materials from the floor. Also mule camps are a good starting point for metals, special alloys etc.

Last edited:

vpance

I dunno, I think it kind of works in this game. Everything about the story is so weird and fantastical. It almost doesn't make sense to have normal names, lol.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Holy shit I just spent an hour going “what?” over and over again and I loved it. Glorious esoteric sci go horror fantasy 🖤

The story cinematics in this are the most compelling he has ever done. Well done HK ❤

I am irl clapping after these cutscenes lol

Last edited:

Wink

It is such a bummer that some people are just not built for getting the appeal of this gameplay system. I don't think I've ever enjoyed walking inside a video game this much. The landscape has so much personality that comes through not just visually, but because it forces the player to constantly interact with and pay attention to it.
This has real level design that allows the player to weigh his decisions and make choices constantly. I'm so impressed.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
One criticism I have the game so far, and I realize this is really subjective, but goddamn the names of the characters are so embarrassingly stupid

I look at it kind of like the Bond girl names, it's just cheeky fun. Pussy Galore, Holly Goodhead, Octopussy, Plenty O'Toole, Chew Mee...these are absolutely ridiculous, and awesome. Would it be better if these characters had "serious" names?

I hadn't kept up on this game really, and I was looking at the OT today and saw the character Die-Hardman, and just laughed. Kojima you magnificent bastard, never change.

Top Bottom