• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

-Arcadia-

Banned
OK, the game becomes infinitely better after the first 8h or so. Feeling it now! I just wish Kojima hadn't named his damn characters like MEGA MAN bosses. Deadman? Die-Hardman?

KzeuoED.png

I feel the need to comment on how crazy good looking that character is.

They have the most amazing depictions of eyes in this game, and that mask really throws emphasis on it.

MiguelItUp

I shouldn't of even bothered replying in the review thread, big mistake on my end, lmao. It's such a hot mess.

Just wanted to say I'm in Episode 2 right now and I'm really loving it. The story, the atmosphere, the aesthetic, just everything. I already love the everything, and would love to see more of it. Obviously I'm getting more in this, it's still early on, but it'd be really cool to see other games in the same universe.

ethomaz

Banned
i think im spending too much time on chapter 2 lol even tho i was advised to rush and come back later
Same :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But I'm loving to do the delivery... I had to get two packages into the rain... it was awesome... the enemy got me and everything become all black liquid like an ocean lol I had to force my way out and when I reached the normal territory the rain stopped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Few hours in now and really enjoying it. Graphics are stunning and I'm loving the story so far, which is really interesting and very weird, in the best possible way.

I'm finding the gameplay to be very satisfying so far. Controls are responsive and easy to learn. Navigating the landscape is like a big puzzle, finding the best routes and using the right equipment to reach the destination. Love the soundtrack too.

The online system works great, finding helpful things and dropping it a bunch of likes, works really well and getting likes from other players for items you leave behind feels rewarding.

It's a slower paced game for sure but so far it's everything I wanted it to be. It's fast becoming one of my favourite games this gen.

Also BB is awesome. :)

You made a good point about the terrain feeling like a puzzle. So far it keeps you very engaged, and I have never been so conscious of where I was traversing with every step in a game before. Very immersive.

The music and sound design. Top notch!

I like how when you pan the camera behind the electric barriers, it muffles the sound. Nice touch.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played for six hours today. I was expecting a shitty game but am really enjoying it. Navigating around the world is a lot of fun and I like the story so far. Not sure if it will hold up for how long I read the game is, but for now I like it.

GHG

Gold Member
Got to the middle of chapter 2 yesterday, really enjoying it so far.

The traversal is basically one large puzzle game to figure out the best route to your destination.

The balancing mechanics are well thought out, are 100% physically based and logical. I think someone said it's like if gran turismo was a walking game and that's 100% accurate. You can't just run around and hope for the best , every step, every turn and route needs to be considered. Somehow, somehow, just walking around is 100% engaging and requires your concentration. Honestly, watching other people play doesn't convey what it's like to play it for yourself.

The only time I've had my cargo fall Sam's back is when I stumbled into enemy territory and panicked after they started scanning me. Ran straight off a steep cliff and stumbled down it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's hilarious how quickly you can pick the cargo back up though.

Mossybrew

Would you say this is the Dark Souls of walking simulators? Hah I am enjoying the hell out of this game so far, it is a breath of fresh air similar to Control and promises even more slick wierdness.

Shifty

I finished up chapter 2 and left a shiny new bridge as a parting gift. Building helpful stuff feels good in this game.

And the return to Kojima doing a protagonist that actually speaks again is so nice.

I also had my first actual fall-over-and-drop-everything at the start of chapter 3.
That first stretch is absolutely jammed with heavy shit that's just sat there saying "pick me up, do it now girly man", and I did :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The chapter 2 boss fight was slow, but really cool. And it goes without saying that Higgs is the man, I love a good charismatic villain.

Calling it now: His BB is a BT.

Last edited:

Shifty

This game is like GAF. I give out way more likes than I receive

😂
It also encourages cheap like tactics!

Pop out of a reconnection cutscene and hmm, I wonder why there are 5 Happy Baby likes positioned in a line away from the spawn point, all from different players, with progressively less likes as you get further away 🤔

It totally works though #NoShame

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well i just finished the game.
For people that don't understand wtf it was about.

Here is it explained. Big huge fucking spoilers.

Sam was born from a "stillmother" - which I expect is someone stuck in a coma or is brain dead - named Lisa Bridges. His father was Clifford Unger, a former US Spec Ops Captain. He agreed to work with President Strand to help save his son and wife, but later realized that his prematurely born baby son would be used as a prototype BB, to lay a foundation of the chiral network. The nature of baby Sam's birth meant he, as a BB, had an equal connection between the sides of the living and the dead, and the orange vessel he was kept in would maintain that state - meaning he would stay in that fashion, never growing up to be a proper child. Cliff rebelled; killing his comatose wife to put her out of her misery, and attempting to escape with BB Sam from the facility, but was cornered and gunned down. Unfortunately for President Strand, BB Sam was killed as collateral damage. In the limbo region called Beach, where's the Ka- Half of Strand, Amelie, resides, BB Sam was found. Amelie and Strand - both two halves of the same person - decided, out of maternal affection, to use their EE powers and revive the BB - which makes the revived Sam a repatriate: someone who can return from Limbo post death. The nature of the process, owing to an unforseen side-effect, triggered Death Stranding - a significant dissolution of the barriers between the realms of living and dead. Many creatures from the living plane were transported to the Beach plane, while roaming spirits from the Limbo plane, called BTs, were in turn transported to the plane of the Living. This caused sizeable apocalyptic events; the plane of death, and the BTs in essence are composed of antimatter, and when they devour someone who is alive, the reaction causes a Massive Explosion that leaves a crater. Since the events of Sam's death and revival occurred first on US, that is where the phenomenon of Death Stranding gradually began to occur, laying waste to most of the US in the process. The revived baby Sam no longer could serve as a BB, but the research data until the point were sufficient to produce artificial clones of baby Sam to be used as BT detectors and other purposes. The real baby Sam was adopted by President Strand and raised as her own son. As an adult, he marries a woman, but an unfortunate miscarriage and death causes a voidout of his wife's body, and Sam, suffering both from losing his wife, his unborn child, and public persecution, leaves his life to become a delivery guy...

I understand the story now and i also get why some love it and some hate it

-Arcadia-

Banned
Leaving Konami and Metal Gear behind ended up being the best outcome for Kojima. This is one of the most creative and original games I’ve played in a long time.

Absolutely. I’m not 100% on board with the gameplay yet, but being in love with the story, world, and concept, it would have been an absolute tragedy to see Kojima just wither away on Metal Gear for the rest of his career, and these ideas go to waste.

Which was probably not out of the question.

I feel like all the weird stuff in Metal Gear, right up to superspeed fog zombies and bosses controlling the dead, finally makes sense. It was Kojima wanting to make something different, and expressing it the only way he could. Those two examples even specifically seem like Death Stranding poking through.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Leaving Konami and Metal Gear behind ended up being the best outcome for Kojima. This is one of the most creative and original games I’ve played in a long time.

Completely agree. Not a big MG fan, last one I played and beat was MGS2 on the PS2 when it came out, but this game man, so immersive. The story strangely makes sense, and I find it easy to pick up on all the metaphors and innuendos. The pacing of learning more and more of what is going on is pretty well done while still retaining the overall mystery.

Kept wanting to play all night, but need to get some sleep. Jumping right back into it tomorrow for sure!

Azaroth

Seems Sony is taking down videos on youtube, watch out if you plan on posting vids:

It's possible that what that dude is posting is overblown and not giving the full story. I saw a post on the Death Stranding subreddit earlier warning people about two specific youtube accounts that were posting videos with significant spoilers in the titles. The poster was telling people how to make sure youtube doesn't recommend their videos in your feed so that you don't accidentally come across them. That Shirrako person was one of the two accounts mentioned as ones to avoid.

Anyhow, I have no idea how true that is, but the only reason I recognized that Shirrako name was because I saw it mentioned in that thread. *If* he was posting videos with spoilers in the titles, Sony might have just started taking down his Death Stranding videos, to prevent him from being a jackass.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
It's possible that what that dude is posting is overblown and not giving the full story. I saw a post on the Death Stranding subreddit earlier warning people about two specific youtube accounts that were posting videos with significant spoilers in the titles. The poster was telling people how to make sure youtube doesn't recommend their videos in your feed so that you don't accidentally come across them. That Shirrako person was one of the two accounts mentioned as ones to avoid.

Anyhow, I have no idea how true that is, but the only reason I recognized that Shirrako name was because I saw it mentioned in that thread. *If* he was posting videos with spoilers in the titles, Sony might have just started taking down his Death Stranding videos, to prevent him from being a jackass.
Yeah, thnx for reminding me. I'm gonna clean my youtube search and watch history

Kagero

just popping in to say I’m only two hours in, and I’m loving this game! Everything is so pretty. I’m 100 on board and the story so far is great! Apparently, The beginning is the part that’s a slog and I’m enjoying it this much?! Damn! If it does in fact get better, easily my GOTY so far.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kept wanting to play all night, but need to get some sleep. Jumping right back into it tomorrow for sure!

I had a day off, and on top of that, nothing to do, but I’ve put almost ten hours in since yesterday. :messenger_unamused:

Not happy with myself for that, lol, but something about the whole experience has me irresistibly hooked. Even when I’m not playing, I’m thinking about it. Even when I stop playing, I just head back after a while.

Nydus

Gold Member

Does he work for giant bomb or what? I don't t get why some people can't be professional about spoilers. And if this is true I'm 100% on Sony with this one. No crying about your income and career is changing that you fucked up. If I start to be an asshole to my clients I will get fired. That's life.

Btt:

Couldn't really enjoy the first hours because of some raging headaches and here's hoping this evening will be better. Performance seems great so far! Just the end screen after a mission is a bit convoluted/confusing.

Jtibh

Banned
Started chapter2.
Sometimes i wonder if i play a game or if i am in some lars van trier movie.
But i know on thing. I wont rest until i find this geoff keighley motherfucker

Rien

Jelly Belly
Once i get pulled by the BT’s is there a way go get out of this floating city thing?

just popping in to say I’m only two hours in, and I’m loving this game! Everything is so pretty. I’m 100 on board and the story so far is great! Apparently, The beginning is the part that’s a slog and I’m enjoying it this much?! Damn! If it does in fact get better, easily my GOTY so far.

Same here. I saw the both highly positive and the few negative reviews, but 1 hr in and I was sold 100%. Kojima still has it 100%.

Clearly has everyone by the balls too (Epic/Steam).

I would not be surprised if Netflix/Amazon/etc was fighting for an actual Norman Reedus/Mads Death Stranding series at this point.

For those who bought the game, how is it? Some of the reviews have me skeptical but willing to hear first hand accounts that cuts through all the bullshit.

J3nga

For those who bought the game, how is it? Some of the reviews have me skeptical but willing to hear first hand accounts that cuts through all the bullshit.
After 8 hours it exceeded my expectations, I was quite skeptical after TGS gameplay and questioned myself if should pick it at launch. I don't remember playing 8 hours of anything in one day and feeling I could play some more. It has some places to improve such as HUD and menu/inventory navigation(you'll get used to anyway), but other aspects of the game outweighs those. that is gameplay, graphics, cutscenes and atmosphere. The visuals on PS4 Pro are stunning, I couldn't believe it's time to control Sam after very first game intro cutscene. The plot is very intriguing, will have you hooped up to the cutscenes for sure.

Last edited:

Terenty

I'm only at the beginning and i liked what i played, the topography is great, i think its the first game with real life scale to the world. And the way Sam is controling and moving has this tactile feeling, dunno how to describe it, its cool in other words.

But, man, the exposition the characters are spouting is fucking obnoxious and downright insulting. I thought the game is rated M, why the fuck Kojima treats his players like brainless children?

The most grating example is
when you drive with CD guys in a truck and this Igor character starts telling Sam about the world, how it was before Death Stranding, what is the role of the porters in the world now etc etc as if Sam is from another planet or smth. And all of this just to make sure the player woudnt get lost in the plot

If you have Codex in your game then relegate all kinds if lore to this place instead of sacrificing the believability of your characters with obnoxious awkward exposition.

I'm scratching my head why he doesn't understand this and nobody in his team doesn't either it seems.

I cant remember the last game or movie where it was so in your face.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Just stealthed through a MULE camp, got the stuff I needed for my delivery, and made my escape without being noticed. Felt like something straight out of MGS V.

Woodchipper

I played MGS2 last night and it was way worse than this honestly.
You’re probably right. Guess I’ve forgotten how cutscene heavy his games are, and I’m not used to it.

However, I eventually got hooked last night and played for 6 hours straight. I love the atmosphere, and it looks freakin amazing. There are a few things that annoys me though, like the UI, and the controls can be frustrating at times (but not on a RDR2 level.)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played until 2am... About 8 hours in one stretch. Ive not done that for some time. Absolutely love the game. My previous post was 2 hours in and its still addicting and beautiful. Don't understand negative reviews.
Unique, new, very well thought out game with new kind of gameplay, unleashed kojima and best graphics ever? 2 stars? 35/100 Fucking cmon. If special things were rewarded we would have more original games.

Btw - how does it work on ps4 if I want to start a new game to show beginning of a game to my father but dont loose any of my progress? He is over 50 and I am 30 but he still likes to come along and watch some games
He loved the trailers

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ok some sparse opinion after 2h30min

-graphics are nice, sometimes great, but it is not rdr2, character models are hit and miss some great some meh, not the best in the gen imho, maybe top 5 with the more detailed chara.
They look more human or realistic than what they actually are because the base model are famous real actors so it's easy for the brain to get fooled. (Sorry for my english but i think my point is clear)

-digital acting, again hit and miss, some great like sam and deadman, some strangely rigid and kinda unnatural\jarring sometimes like fragile and amelie, overall unchy4 and tlou2 looks better in the acting department diring cutscene, but camera work and cinematography are far better in DS.

-plot is kojima unchained, nothing less nothing more, for me is a positive thing, for others probably not.

-movements and animation are very good, the chara is heavy and has momentum etc. But it still feels gamey and more responsive than rdr2, maybe a little bit floaty in some rare occasion, rdr2 has the advantage in how animation are chained and how the chara react to the scenery, say thank to the euphoria engine for that.

-after 2h and a half the gameplay loop has not really opened to much, i don't think i have a ladder or a rope right now, but the planning of the trip in the map is enjoyable enough for now.

-stealth section with BTs are tense enough but they feel really simple and basic, mgs5 base infiltration this game is not.
They catch me one time but i managed to escape lol.

-menù visuals and functionality are the worst thing right now, maybe i have to get used but some thing like double\triple confirmation to do something or the need to long press the buttons are the stuff of nightmare in a game with so many microsystem that you have to manage via menus...

-killer soundtrack for now

I'm forgetting something probably...

Mista

Banned
This thread is making me happy. Reading all the posts about how people are enjoying the game is making me smile like an idiot

It really is a good deep smart game and seeing that people are enjoying something “different” makes me believe that gamers are still in it just like the old times. Enjoying new ideas and adventures♥️

Mista

Banned
You see this why I’ll play anything Kojima makes. Hold on I’ll tell you why! So back at the room when you piss or poop they use it to make grenades right? Okay, now I went to a BT territory and I pissed straight in their line of direction AND THE BT DIDN’T CONTINUE TOWARDS ME. HE MADE A 180 AND CHANGED HIS DIRECTION!

ethomaz

Banned
This thread is making me happy. Reading all the posts about how people are enjoying the game is making me smile like an idiot

It really is a good deep smart game and seeing that people are enjoying something “different” makes me believe that gamers are still in it just like the old times. Enjoying new ideas and adventures♥
It really feel like old gaming design... I think we are all used to most game have the same design philosophy nowdays that makes DS really a experience more interesting than most games I played this gem.

Top Bottom