• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

mekes

Sitting about 6m away from the screen I do wish there was an option to increase the text size. That’s my only real gripe with the game so far. Everything else is subjective and I’m still early in terms of progression.

Robhimself

Ok so I'm 3 hours in now, and I must say i'm impressed.

The sheer ambiance at the beginning when you're walking along the cliffs, sky is grey, no life visible within miles, and then this music starts while you are walking along..... I felt lonely.. I mean REALLY lonely...

This game sucks you right in from the get-go... I decided to play in a dark room with headphones on. No distractions and man, this isn't as much as a game, it's an experience.

Yes it's slow at first and it my look like a fetch quest, but it just grabs you and the story makes you want to continue more and more.

People expecting an action game should turn away. It's really leans on storytelling and exploring.

Neff

Is it definitely worth the full price for you, guys?

I'd say yes. It's a lot deeper and more video game-y than appears from the outset. The lower scores suggest a repetitive and simplistic experience operating at the behest of its narrative, and that's not the case. Choices matter significantly, both in terms of what's required for the mission, and your weight which has a palpable impact on the way Sam controls. Reactions and precision are important when considering grip, balance, and momentum. Traversal in itself is frequently unpredictable, with varied environmental dynamics and random offerings from other players which can have a big impact on your route plan. And this is all early stuff. The game opens up at a good pace with new tools and ways to keep up with the game's increasing demands.

On top of that you have all the usual Kojima attention to detail, tech fetishism, thick melodrama and bizarro metaphysics all wrapped up in long-ass cutscenes, but the meat of the game itself has been dealt a shit hand by those unwilling to look closer and invest.

draliko

Got the limited pro with ds (too good to pass deal at gs, 130e plus 2 games and the pro will be valued 250e for the ps5, sorry for the ot) and I was very skeptical abut the game... Well let's say I didn't sleep much this night, this thing is a drug, as everyone said it's not a game, it is an experience, an awesome experience. This isn't assassin creed or spiderman, this is something else, something different and you need to live it to understand, no youtube video will ever do justice to this game. Played with headphones in a dark room plus oled (my first time on a real hdr display, it is gorgeous ..) is awesome, the ost is awesome. If this is just the slow part of the game I'm already happy. I started my play session with a lot of doubts abiut the game and ended it with a lot of questions about the story, best feeling ever in a game.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
WCXvk00.jpg

SLB1904

Banned
You see this why I’ll play anything Kojima makes. Hold on I’ll tell you why! So back at the room when you piss or poop they use it to make grenades right? Okay, now I went to a BT territory and I pissed straight in their line of direction AND THE BT DIDN’T CONTINUE TOWARDS ME. HE MADE A 180 AND CHANGED HIS DIRECTION!
Oh shit lol
That's what I'm going to do.
Btw the quantity of mushroom on the road lol

You see this why I’ll play anything Kojima makes. Hold on I’ll tell you why! So back at the room when you piss or poop they use it to make grenades right? Okay, now I went to a BT territory and I pissed straight in their line of direction AND THE BT DIDN’T CONTINUE TOWARDS ME. HE MADE A 180 AND CHANGED HIS DIRECTION!

That's hilarious! No wonder he chugs so many energy drinks. Gotta keep your 'gun' stocked with 'ammo'. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ivellios

Im liking the game so far, the story, graphics and soundtrack are pretty good. Must have played for 5 hours straight yesterday without noticing it. As for the gameplay im enjoying it for the most part for now, though i dont know if i'll get bored with It later on.

I do have a question though, how do i protect my cargo against rain? Every time i get to a bt area i just lose many of my cargo and grenades to rain degradation. Because of this i cant defend myself against BTs at all.

HotPocket69

Banned
Im liking the game so far, the story, graphics and soundtrack are pretty good. Must have played for 5 hours straight yesterday without noticing it. As for the gameplay im enjoying it for the most part for now, though i dont know if i'll get bored with It later on.

I do have a question though, how do i protect my cargo against rain? Every time i get to a bt area i just lose many of my cargo and grenades to rain degradation. Because of this i cant defend myself against BTs at all.

Pretty sure you’re fucked until you’re able to build portable rain shelters

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm only at the beginning and i liked what i played, the topography is great, i think its the first game with real life scale to the world. And the way Sam is controling and moving has this tactile feeling, dunno how to describe it, its cool in other words.

But, man, the exposition the characters are spouting is fucking obnoxious and downright insulting. I thought the game is rated M, why the fuck Kojima treats his players like brainless children?

The most grating example is
when you drive with CD guys in a truck and this Igor character starts telling Sam about the world, how it was before Death Stranding, what is the role of the porters in the world now etc etc as if Sam is from another planet or smth. And all of this just to make sure the player woudnt get lost in the plot

If you have Codex in your game then relegate all kinds if lore to this place instead of sacrificing the believability of your characters with obnoxious awkward exposition.

I'm scratching my head why he doesn't understand this and nobody in his team doesn't either it seems.

I cant remember the last game or movie where it was so in your face.

Now take what you said, and remember some of those reviewers that still said they couldn't understand shit.

:pie_roffles:

Put in a decent amount of time yesterday and at no point did I think damn this games amazing, but I couldn't stop playing either and I keep being drawn back into it. We'll see how long it lasts, first impressions so far are that I'm intrigued and enjoying it, but I don't know why, so I'm cautiously expecting that I'll put it away at any moment and never play it again, lol.

Use the repair spray, I forget what it's called exactly, but you have to craft it, then select it using right on the d-pad, then press L2 and Square to aim it backwards (if the containers are on your back and not on the ground or bike) and pres R2 to spray them.

Edit: or maybe not, see next post.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Use the repair spray, I forget what it's called exactly, but you have to craft it, then select it using right on the d-pad, then press L2 and Square to aim it backwards (if the containers are on your back and not on the ground or bike) and pres R2 to spray them.
I haven't tried that, but the game says that the repair spray doesn't repair rain damage?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Put in a decent amount of time yesterday and at no point did I think damn this games amazing, but I couldn't stop playing either and I keep being drawn back into it. We'll see how long it lasts, first impressions so far are that I'm intrigued and enjoying it, but also expecting to put it away at any moment and never play it again, lol.

I'm hoping I get as much of it done as possible before next Friday and Jedi Fallen Order.

Something I'm finding really frustrating about this game is BB's arm thing, whatever it's called. It detects the BT's, but you're supposed to crouch to avoid making noise when they're around, and if you have cargo on your back, then it totally blocks the arm thing so you can't even see where it's pointing to. Am I missing something obvious here?

I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure the tutorial text said that when I was in the rain. Unless it was talking about a specific situation I just didn't notice.

I'll have to test it out next time I have the chance to, but I'm pretty sure I repaired some after they got damaged by the rain, but, the damage may have come from somewhere else and it repaired that bit instead.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Something I'm finding really frustrating about this game is BB's arm thing, whatever it's called. It detects the BT's, but you're supposed to crouch to avoid making noise when they're around, and if you have cargo on your back, then it totally blocks the arm thing so you can't even see where it's pointing to. Am I missing something obvious here?

If you sit still you can see where the are. The faster it spins, like a windy pinwheel, they are super close.

Also, doing forget to hold your breath while crouched, I forgot to the first time, lol.

Ivellios

I'll have to test it out next time I have the chance to, but I'm pretty sure I repaired some after they got damaged by the rain, but, the damage may have come from somewhere else and it repaired that bit instead.

As far as im aware, no you're not missing anything. Im having the same difficulty and need to struggle with the camera to see bb arm when carrying a lot of cargo.

Psykodad

Banned

Press R3 to switch shoulder view.

Kagero

Same here. I saw the both highly positive and the few negative reviews, but 1 hr in and I was sold 100%. Kojima still has it 100%.

Clearly has everyone by the balls too (Epic/Steam).

I would not be surprised if Netflix/Amazon/etc was fighting for an actual Norman Reedus/Mads Death Stranding series at this point.
I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only one that loves a game like this. So glad to see games move in this direction, and not surprised to see its Kojima leading the way. Damn this world is so captivating. No doubt in my mind this will be a game we look back on Similar to games like Mario 64, and say. This is a game that moved the needle.

Bryank75

Banned

For the first couple missions you just go as fast as possible, you won't be going too far. Then you get 'repair spray', after traveling a good distance in rain, check your inventory and if the protection is about 50%, take out the spray, press R2, then square to aim it backwards at the stuff on your back, then press R2 to spray and it will fix all the protection....... you should be good for enough time to do most deliveries.

Bryank75

Banned
If you sit still you can see where the are. The faster it spins, like a windy pinwheel, they are super close.

Also, doing forget to hold your breath while crouched, I forgot to the first time, lol.
You can literally be right under them.... as long as you hold your breath, you should be good. If it is blue, do not hold your breath, make sure you pace your breath well and you should be good.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So private storage is not shared ever, correct? Is it designed to keep you moving your items from point to point?

I have two full resin packages I found in act two, and unsure to just store at first connecting waypoint or keep them packed on my back.

Last edited:

D-Dude

So, I played the proloque and now on my way to
burn the body in the incinerator
and I have to say I am liking this. When I saw those
huge giants or whatever
I was smiling, and my gf was crunching her snacks. Still messing around a bit with all the info the game gives you..

Top Bottom