• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Fake

Horizon 2 could get those gameplay implementation like hold R1 for first person vision. Was a great ideia.

imsosleepy

Horizon 2 could get those gameplay implementation like hold R1 for first person vision. Was a great ideia.
When I was playing there was 1 thing I would LOVE horizon had..
Its the slowmotion on the move pick up of those chyrial chrystals. In horizon u had to pick a lot of flowers and it was annoying. This small thing death stranding had was sooo smooth and great

Fake

When I was playing there was 1 thing I would LOVE horizon had..
Its the slowmotion on the move pick up of those chyrial chrystals. In horizon u had to pick a lot of flowers and it was annoying. This small thing death stranding had was sooo smooth and great
Indeed. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 has such a giant potential if they could extract some ideias from DS. Another cool aspect is the climb mechanic.
IMO those crater or canyon from DS are so amazing to rappel. You can easily escape from MULE just by running inside the canyon entrace. The view from above and the visual really help enjoy inside those places. I just hold the R1 and look up for explore. Is great way to explore.
Actually I can't even understand why Aloy have a rope for rappel the tall robot, but can't use in the montain.

Terenty

Honestly, the worst thing about the game so far is plot.

I just watched this awesome cutscene with Del toro and Mads from 2016 trailer in the game and, man, it was so much cooler and creepier when i didn't know the context for all the craziness in there.

Kojima just loves to explain everything in his games. I find it kinda strange how he is a fun of Lynch and his storytelling is on the opposite spectrum of that

Last edited:

Sakura

Fucking asshole preppers making me go bring them shit after I treked all the way there. Just let me hook up to the network first. Why do I even need their permission

Honestly, the worst thing about the game so far is plot.

I just watched this awesome cutscene with Del toro and Mads from 2016 trailer in the game and, man, it was so much cooler and creepier when i didn't know the context for all the craziness in there.

Kojima just loves to explain everything in his games. I find it kinda strange how he is a fun of Lynch and his storytelling is on the opposite spectrum of that

I love how everything is explained and (mostly) makes sense in the universe, going from the start of like wtf is all this to slowly piecing it together is one of the best parts!

But you're right about some of the presentation, those early scenes with Mads and Del Toro that were teased... in game weren't nearly as impactful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 has such a giant potential if they could extract some ideias from DS. Another cool aspect is the climb mechanic.
IMO those crater or canyon from DS are so amazing to rappel. You can easily escape from MULE just by running inside the canyon entrace. The view from above and the visual really help enjoy inside those places. I just hold the R1 and look up for explore. Is great way to explore.
Actually I can't even understand why Aloy have a rope for rappel the tall robot, but can't use in the montain.

I gotta say, and it's not really fair, but going back and forth between Horizon and Breath of the Wild at the time really made the lack of climbing and environment traversal mechanisms in Horizon stand out in a rather negative light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake

I actually like the plot, but I understand is not for everyone.
Besides, I find more easy to understand than Kingdom Hearts. Maybe that's the reason I like this as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I actually like the plot, but I understand is not for everyone.
Besides, I find more easy to understand than Kingdom Hearts. Maybe that's the reason I like this as well.

I only wish it were just a little bit more grounded in reality. It's so out there at times that it becomes hard to relate to for me. The Metal Gear story got far more convoluted over time, but I appreciated that it's core setting was more grounded in reality. This made some of the more fantastical elements feel more impactful to me.

Terenty

For all the shit that mgs 5 got, for me the story and characters there were more interesting. I'm not done with the game yet (8 chapter) so maybe it will change

HotPocket69

Banned
9i2Xp4u.jpg

Non lethal assault rifle straight outta MGSV. And you can switch over to blood bullets on the fly.

This game bros

ZtZ7fOf.jpg

D-Dude

So completed it today

Took me around 49 hours..

I liked how everything was explained in the end, especially with Sam & Clifford. My gf was tearing when I left for the incinerator to bring Louise and that sad "BB's Theme" helped haha. Boss battles were okay, I liked the Giant and Higgs, the rest not so. A lot of mysterious about those 5 floating figures.. well they are not what I thought they would be, and the whole game is a lie. But I enjoyed myself a lot, and my gf watched most of it with me, which is rare. Tumbled only 8 times :messenger_beaming:

Jtibh

Banned
This game is pissing me off sometimes.
I had to deliver a package ny hand and it kept dropping the package and a message said i di t have enough materials to complete the mission.
After watching a bunch of videos turns out i have to hold the l2 or r2 button in order for him not to drop it.
No where does it say in the game i have to hold the button.
There are just too many mechanics this game does not explain.

Are there any other parts in the game where i will be unable to continue without digging deep for a solution?

Fake

What tool tip?
I never had that.
Those tips appears everytime you're close to an object. You can read in the loading screen, press 'option' button or either inside your room.

You can press triangle for put the item in the back, hold R2 or L2 for pick in hand or select cargo option and attach to your shoulder or legs.

You can, while hold R2/L2 an item, use him as a weapon, but will break the item and can cause massive damage on the target.

If you press the square button while holding an item in the hand, but release tem R2/L2 just in the punch time, you launch the item. If hit a target, will both damage the item and stun the target.

Terenty

Has anyone found use for
all terrain exosceleton, power gloves and termal pads?
They feel kinda redundant?

Last edited:
Has anyone found use for
all terrain exosceleton, power gloves and termal pads?
They feel kinda redundant?
All 3 of those are wonderful actually, the pad less so but the 1st one allows
carrying on hips and fast walking in snow as well as no need to hold L2R2 on uneven terrain
Junk dealer and Artist storyline was kinda funny. Didn't expect those emails after, lol.

Yeah that was pretty hilarious

Jtibh

Banned
Those tips appears everytime you're close to an object. You can read in the loading screen, press 'option' button or either inside your room.

You can press triangle for put the item in the back, hold R2 or L2 for pick in hand or select cargo option and attach to your shoulder or legs.

You can, while hold R2/L2 an item, use him as a weapon, but will break the item and can cause massive damage on the target.

If you press the square button while holding an item in the hand, but release tem R2/L2 just in the punch time, you launch the item. If hit a target, will both damage the item and stun the target.
Aha yeah no.
Not for me and i assume its something you have to select under options.
In chapter 3 20hours or more in and this was some hourglass mission where you have to carry cargo in hand . Kept dropping it and nothing said i have to hold the button in order to carry it. It picked up with r2 and then dropped it.
Only message i got was that i di t have enough materials or something to finish the mission.
Had to youtube the solution.
I also had an issue whit building completing structures as i saw the option button but nowhere did it mention you have to hold it.
Like what game makes you hold the option button?
Anyways no i am not told by the game many times how to do what.

Aha yeah no.
In chapter 3 20hours or more in and this was some hourglass mission where you have to carry cargo in hand . Kept dropping it and nothing said i have to hold the button in order to carry it. It picked up with r2 and then dropped it.
Only message i got was that i di t have enough materials or something to finish the mission.
I also had an issue whit building completing structures as i saw the option button but nowhere did it mention you have to hold it.

Yes you are though, I never touched the options and any time I'm near an item it shows me buttons and what pressing em does. And it tells you at the beginning of the game when a prompt has that circle around it you have to hold the button.

Not to mention the game constantly brings up those loading screen tips on the right side of the screen whenever they're relatable to what you're doing

Keihart

Aha yeah no.
haven't youtubed anything and carring cargo in one hand is like one of the basic mechanics.
There is an encyclopedia of tutorials inside the game called data, in case you are having trouble with some mechanics, you can check that out too.
The tooltips are on by default too, so i think your are the one that didn't pay attention and the game told you how it worked several times.

KiNeMz

Banned
Aha yeah no.

60 hours in and it still shows messages like this.

iu

Check the options.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
60 hours in and it still shows messages like this.

iu

Check the options.
Ok everyone here is writting me about this.
In that mission it maybe tells me to pick up with r2 or l2.
Which i did but it doesnt show that you have to hold r2 or l2.

We just wannah make sure you're enjoying the game as best you can!

Oh man I'm just now realizing how beneficial it is to earn the stars at places, the unlocks...

Keihart

Been reading the emails since the start but now i'm super curious about those shinning floating objects mentioned in some of them, don't tell me what it is if you know, this is just a heads up if you haven't read about them.
i tried to find the one in Capital knot city in chapter 2 but only found a memory stick, after reading a couple more mails, i'm not so sure that it was that, might be something else.

Terenty

The game seems as if it had been designed with a more hardcore difficulty in mind, but then was dialed back for whatever reason.

There's a lot of mechanics that simply dont come into play, because the balance is on the easy side.

For example, in my 70 hours(still playing) i haven't used repayer spray, only stopped to rest once or twice, never slept, never run out of energy drink, managing stamina is never a problem.

Even some upgrades like canteen lvl 2, stabilizer etc hint at the idea of some kind of challenge.

Will be interesting to replay on pc if hardcore mods are a thing.

The game is great nevertheless, so many hours and still not bored

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
The game seems as if it had been designed with a more hardcore difficulty in mind, but then was dialed back for whatever reason.

There's a lot of mechanics that simply dont come into play, because the balance is on the easy side.

For example, in my 70 hours(still playing) i haven't used repayer spray, only stopped to rest once or twice, never slept, never run out of energy drink, managing stamina is never a problem.

Even some upgrades like canteen lvl 2, stabilizer etc hint at the idea of some kind of challenge.

Try to play it more in a crazy or chaotic way instead safe one. Do not use private rooms, safe houses or shelters. And see how it goes. Anyway this is so great about DS that it gives you tools and options. Have you used whistling or harmonica to soothe BB?

Last edited:

vpance

Been reading the emails since the start but now i'm super curious about those shinning floating objects mentioned in some of them, don't tell me what it is if you know, this is just a heads up if you haven't read about them.
i tried to find the one in Capital knot city in chapter 2 but only found a memory stick, after reading a couple more mails, i'm not so sure that it was that, might be something else.

I did the same as you. Searched for like 10 mins and couldn't find any shiny thing. I'm assuming it'll be explained later.

Sign

Let me tell you a story of me finishing a boss battle and having my delivery sitting at 99% damage and 100% cargo box damage with no spray. Once the fight ended Sam collapsed due to his adrenaline rush ending, and rather than take a knee I tried to stand only for the leaning tower of pizza on my back to pull me backwards crashing into the ground destroying the cargo and giving me a game over. . . the game is about hubris lol.

Saruhashi

Banned
Ok everyone here is writting me about this.
In that mission it maybe tells me to pick up with r2 or l2.
Which i did but it doesnt show that you have to hold r2 or l2.

No offense meant here but did you not notice that when you pressed R2 he picked up the case and then when you let go of R2 he let go of the case again?

Dude, it seems like the kind of thing you'd learn almost immediately.

OK, I pressed R2 to pick up the item.
But then when I let go of R2 he immediately let go of the item.
So let's try pressing R2 and holding it...
OK now let go of R2...
A-HA!

No offense meant here but did you not notice that when you pressed R2 he picked up the case and then when you let go of R2 he let go of the case again?

OK now let go of R2...
A-HA!

While the game does inform you that you need to hold the button i believe that when you pick something and start sprinting it keeps it in your hands until you stand still.

Saruhashi

Banned
While the game does inform you that you need to hold the button i believe that when you pick something and start sprinting it keeps it in your hands until you stand still.

So you are saying my severe anxiety caused by constantly thinking "don't you DARE let that fucking button go while you are sprinting or you'll drop that package you useless cunt and the people depending on you will be disappointed and will call you the worst delivery fellow in the land so DO NOT LOOSEN YOUR GRIP ON THE TRIGGER BUTTON" was all for nothing?

Well, godsfucking dammit! :)

So you are saying my severe anxiety caused by constantly thinking "don't you DARE let that fucking button go while you are sprinting or you'll drop that package you useless cunt and the people depending on you will be disappointed and will call you the worst delivery fellow in the land so DO NOT LOOSEN YOUR GRIP ON THE TRIGGER BUTTON" was all for nothing?

Well, godsfucking dammit! :)

I'm not 100% sure, but there where a lot of instances that i don't remember holding the trigger on said occations. Also updates may changed stuff. I platinumed tha game almost a month ago so i haven't touched it recently.

Saruhashi

Banned
I'm not 100% sure, but there where a lot of instances that i don't remember holding the trigger on said occations. Also updates may changed stuff. I platinumed tha game almost a month ago so i haven't touched it recently.

Dude, I gripped those triggers so tightly that my hand is now in a permanent claw position. :)
Cos dropping that hourglass would have just been unbearable!

Terenty

OK now let go of R2...
A-HA!

To be fair he doesn't drop it immediatey when you unpress. It takes about 3 sec and he does drop it even when you are sprinting

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

OK now let go of R2...
A-HA!
No not at all.
When i press r2 he picks it up and he holds it for a few seconds. Then drops it. Thats what confused me and the error message from the game that said everything else as in i dont have enough resources to complete the mission. That alone made me go in circles like i thought the reason he keeps dropping the case was cuz i needed more resources like metal or what not

Look i finished the mission i am way past it.

Top Bottom