• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Roni

Gold Member
So, I finished the game. What a ride, ladies and gentlemen... What a ride!

I genuinely didn't see the ending coming until the more on-the-nose emails about Amelie never being seen IRL started dropping towards the end. That Sam was a BB when younger, I had no doubt. That BB's visions were actually Sam's and that he's the son of Clifford Unger and Lisa Bridges, that caught me somewhat off-guard. At the end of Vietnam, I thought Cliff had heard from Bridget that Sam was a nice guy and worthy of taking care of Lou...

I never once thought Amelie wasn't real until the first explicit hints came. Bridget and Amelie being the same entity is cool and I got Cthulhu vibes from the way she was talking about the universe seeking to end life and etc...

I loved the sci-fi background for the crazy shit we saw in the game. Bought it 100%, though I would love for them to go a bit more into the Extinction Entity lore and backstory in following games, if there are any. Felt I couldn't fully understand the general rules by which they exist, though that could change upon revisiting the written material after seeing the ending...

Still curious to understand more about how exactly the Death Stranding happened... Sure, I understand it happened during the removal of a baby from a braindead pregnant woman. But why in this particular one?

Was that operation simply never attempted before and that was the secret to it all along? Or was Amelie somehow involved, since she did explicitly say she chose to speed up the coming of the sixth extiction?

If she was, what did she do?

Anyway, I'm just rambling now... I'll dive into the game again to look for these answers and see what else is there to find in the gameplay!

Mista

Banned
That fight against Higgs was so fucking brilliant. Loved the part where it turned like a fighting game
What a damn game!

Mista

Banned
To the people that finished the game, is it possible to go back and finish orders until I reach max level with all the settlements?

nowhat

Yes of course. The whole concept is nonsense so what are you expecting?
Oh I knew what I was getting into with a Kojima game, and I'm not complaining, as said the plot can be still very enjoyable and entertaining. Just that I think within say a month we'll start to see these two-hour YouTube essays trying waaaay too hard to make sense of all of the story. Which I don't think is possible, unless you really enjoy them new clothes on the Emperor.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Oh I knew what I was getting into with a Kojima game, and I'm not complaining, as said the plot can be still very enjoyable and entertaining. Just that I think within say a month we'll start to see these two-hour YouTube essays trying waaaay too hard to make sense of all of the story. Which I don't think is possible, unless you really enjoy them new clothes on the Emperor.
As always with Kojima games. There’re always those pricks that analyse every damn thing😂 They’re really trying hard for nothing

Fake

After I beat the game I got curious about Kojima's life. Never knowed about his father died when he was 13...

-Arcadia-

Banned
Has this brief look at the mo-cap/acting been posted yet? There appears to be spoilers, so be careful, but I was really impressed by how amazing a job they’re all doing, considering they’re under bright lights, in giant pseudo-gyms, and with dots and tracking gear all over them.

The performances in-game look so natural, so props to both the actors and Kojima for that.

Also, it looks like Tommie Earl Jenkins was absolutely killing it.

as i spend soo much time on esport gaming with fifa you guys think this one is worth it? idc for any reviews but does the story suck you in?

Mista

Banned
NvBSSIp.jpg

LokusAbriss

as i spend soo much time on esport gaming with fifa you guys think this one is worth it? idc for any reviews but does the story suck you in?

Well, you run a lot in fifa, so the transition to the gamplay in Death Stranding shouldnt be too hard for you. A lot of hiking and climbin will await you. The story is good, but shouldnt taken too seriously. It may trigger some feelings, atleast it did for me. Really depends on you. Maybe watch the first hours on youtube and see if it is something for you? Or rent it first. Because the game is great, but not everyone might enjoy it.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

It wil be something completely different but for sure the story wil really suck you into it and what I noticed alot was that. Sometimes u gotta do alot of deliveries before the story moves on again but this game... The way the story unfolds, the timing of the cutscenes, different events that happen when u reach certain points. It makes getting true the hard deliveries really well worth it. Personally I found most cutscenes freaking awesome. The first time u meet higgs god dam and that comes after a long long hike.

Its something hardly any reviewers talked about but its so well done in this game.

I was just at chapter 8 near the end and I had to do a few annoying deliveries true the mountains and then had a long ass hike ( I did it with a bike) but then the reward when chapter 9 started god dammit. So good

Not many games do this..

And just only focus on the main story mission

Just finished Death Stranding a few mins ago. Just wanted to give my thoughts.

I do think the game is good but not an amazing out of this world experience. The game on a technical level is absolutely stunning. But I'm so mixed on the game play. The actual deliveries imo weren't that much fun. The traversal and figuring out how to get around was interesting but personally I thought it got old after a while.

I did a few side missions in the beginning but was just getting so burnt out with the game as a whole I stopped and just focused on the main story as the story I found intriguing and was the main driving force for me to continue to play even in some of the games most tedious moments. The first 3 chapters were an absolute slog to get through and I was nearly turned off entirely from the game but persevered as I figured the devs would spice things up later. Thankfully that does happen as chapter 4 got me fully hooked onto the game. From there, i went from "i'm tolerating this game" to "i'm liking this game" but it honestly never really went past that for the rest of the game for me.

I had a very strange experience at the part where Sam is separated from BB and the game tells you you'll have to manage deliveries without it and having to deal with BT's on your own. I kid you not when I say from the time BB was separated until the time I got it back I didn't have a single enemy encounter. Not one! Maybe I got really lucky and took paths where there was no BT's, or maybe it was something else, but that really didn't help my views on the game play as I was already finding it dull at that point and some enemy encounters might've helped whether scripted or not.

The boss fights are also (imo) underwhelming. There were 2 that I really liked which were against Higgs in his giant BT mech thing and I really liked the whale boss fight at the very end (even if I thought it was a little too easy). It really bothered me how epic the cut scenes were for these boss fights only to get to them and have it be underwhelming (looking at you Cliff).

The story i thought wasn't that hard to understand, especially at the end when everything is fully explained. I found it much easier to understand than the MGS stories. The social features are a god send for this game, thanks for your contributions guys.

For me the game is a 7.5/10. I don't consider that a bad score by any means and I don't regret my purchase or playing the game but I'm hoping Kojima's next game has a bit more energy to it, or he can keep the energy of Death Stranding but make an actual horror game like Silent Hill.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m still in the beginning area. Chipping away 30 mins here and there every few days.

I enjoy it because it’s clearly a Kojima game. But I can’t stomach it for too long when I wonder what the fuck I’m playing. I don’t get excited about fetch quests so I’ll take my sweet ass time

the terrain movement reminds of botw... and botw reminded me of MGSV with its goblin outposts on the map. So it kinda comes full circle.

Regardless, Kojima you hollywood whore... give us snake back.

say what you want about cinematic storytelling... kojima’s games always have stellar gameplay that’s at the forefront of modern gaming interfaces and tech. It’s what he’s better at... stay with games bro. Movies suck

edit: I take it back. This game is not fun

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I’m still in the beginning area. Chipping away 30 mins here and there every few days.

I enjoy it because it’s clearly a Kojima game. But I can’t stomach it for too long when I wonder what the fuck I’m playing. I don’t get excited about fetch quests so I’ll take my sweet ass time

the terrain movement reminds of botw... and botw reminded me of MGSV with its goblin outposts on the map. So it kinda comes full circle.

Regardless, Kojima you hollywood whore... give us snake back.

say what you want about cinematic storytelling... kojima’s games always have stellar gameplay that’s at the forefront of modern gaming interfaces and tech. It’s what he’s better at... stay with games bro. Movies suck

Once you hit Episode 3 you’ll get sucked the fuck in. Try not to concern yourself with too much side content in that first zone. Just do story stuff. Soon after, you’ll be well equipped to go back to that first area and knock out all the side deliveries (if you want of course) with your new tools etc

Well I'm screwed, I got a codec from deadman telling me there's a body about to go necro near me but I don't see anything on the map.

Googled it and there's only other people with the same problem, some of them having to restart the whole game cause they can't find the body and get stuck in a voidout gameover loop...

Keihart

Well I'm screwed, I got a codec from deadman telling me there's a body about to go necro near me but I don't see anything on the map.

Googled it and there's only other people with the same problem, some of them having to restart the whole game cause they can't find the body and get stuck in a voidout gameover loop...
luckly the game has every save state that you could want since the start of the game, just select load and estimate how back you have to go.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned

Maybe you knocked out a MULE in water or shot him or ran him over?

Mista

Banned

Did you kill a MULE?

Did you kill a MULE?
Probably I've been runnin those hoes over since I first got a car

luckly the game has every save state that you could want since the start of the game, just select load and estimate how back you have to go.

Yeah but like how can I possibly know how far back to go?

Maybe you knocked out a MULE in water or shot him or ran him over?

Definitely punched some fools off some cliffs...

vpance

I was wondering what would happen if I left a dead MULE lying around. Didn't want to risk it and took it to the incinerator.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ahhh, back in the lovely rainy valley after a several day Thanksgiving food binge, delivering packages up and down the mountain. this game is so much fun to just inhabit. it is a very nice world to explore.

the idea to have all your inventory items not just shown but physically weighing down your character, it's amazing. has any other game done this before? the concept is fascinating, it brings up all kinds of questions.

it's always funny how in Zelda or whatever your inventory can consist of dozens of items, as if you are lugging around swords and sheilds and potions, etc. all at once. but in-game, you are light on your feet, unencumbered. you suffer no consequence whether you pick up a new sword or not, whether you whole 500 gold bars or not. of course it is there for convenience, and games must make a number of design choices that render abstract and simplified a far more complex (or banal) physical real world process, but it's still fascinating to consider. it is a common convenience of abstraction that DS purposefully refuses. i love it.

like i could imagine Kojima thought of that very question one day and challenged himself to make a game where it is all about dealing with that reality that most other games never address. a game about managing your inventory. and if the more stuff you hold, the harder it gets, then the goal should be you getting rid of items, lightening the burden, so to speak. thus perhaps the delivery core loop is such a natural fit.

most games are content to let a potion or whatever be represented by a mere number, which has no weight, no size, no shape, no impact on the world other than it's pre-determined use. this game almost dares games to be more realistic, tho thankfully, that interesting banality is made far more interesting through Kojima's wild cinematics and sci fi action movie worldview. <3

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
ahhh, back in the lovely rainy valley after a several day Thanksgiving food binge, delivering packages up and down the mountain. this game is so much fun to just inhabit. it is a very nice world to explore.

the idea to have all your inventory items not just shown but physically weighing down your character, it's amazing. has any other game done this before? the concept is fascinating, it brings up all kinds of questions.

it's always funny how in Zelda or whatever your inventory can consist of dozens of items, as if you are lugging around swords and sheilds and potions, etc. all at once. but in-game, you are light on your feet, unencumbered. you suffer no consequence whether you pick up a new sword or not, whether you whole 500 gold bars or not. of course it is there for convenience, and games must make a number of design choices that render abstract and simplified a far more complex (or banal) physical real world process, but it's still fascinating to consider. it is a common convenience of abstraction that DS purposefully refuses. i love it.

like i could imagine Kojima thought of that very question one day and challenged himself to make a game where it is all about dealing with that reality that most other games never address. a game about managing your inventory. and if the more stuff you hold, the harder it gets, then the goal should be you getting rid of items, lightening the burden, so to speak. thus perhaps the delivery core loop is such a natural fit.

most games are content to let a potion or whatever be represented by a mere number, which has no weight, no size, no shape, no impact on the world other than it's pre-determined use. this game almost dares games to be more realistic, tho thankfully, that interesting banality is made far more interesting through Kojima's wild cinematics and sci fi action movie worldview. <3

Some games like Skyrim have done part of it, with encumbrance once you go past a certain number on weight. It’s still ridiculously unrealistic, though.

It’d be interesting to see other games make use of this. I like the inherent balance between, okay, you can take these things that super help you, but every single one has a price on your stamina, balance, ability to handle emergency situations, etc.

Terenty

Is this a bug, i have 360 bandwith for some reason in chapter 8. I have almost five stars with geologist and other ppl in the area and cant build anything. I built some zip lines but not enought to spent all the bandwith

Anyone encountered something like that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom