• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Alebrije

Reached yesterday the chapter when you can use a weapon ( a real one ) ...and got a feeling of MGS V.

Know the game is not about those kind of wapons and action but my instant feeling about was....

tenor.gif

Those moments are scarse....

HotPocket69

Banned
Have bought and installed the game but have not started this up yet.. Been playing too much MW 2019 on my One X.

On an unrelated side note.. Don't believe PlayStation has the better version of MW.. I have it for Pro also and the X beats it in Audio and Visual, the difference is quite noticeable. Patch updates have improved performance on the X also, with the Xbox controller, sharper high res image and superior audio, I can't play it on my Pro anymore, it def feels like a downgrade.

Cool man, thanks for filling me in

I finished the game this weekend and wanted to let it all sink in.

Story wise there's a couple things here and there that bothered me like Sam not realizing he's never physically met Amelie? C'mon. Unless there's something I missed there's no explanation for that but yeah, I really love this game. I haven't dug deep into story theories much (I'll be going back to read through this thread) and I can see how this is going to be a game that the fans are going to be talking about for decades.

Gameplay wise, I mostly loved it. A few things like not having any kind of cover system is absolutely bonkers for a modern game with any shooting mechanics . The menu system overall could use a LOT of streamlining. Other than a few other things, the gameplay doesn't get enough credit - the whole strand system is an interesting evolution of things that Dark Souls introduced. It was always satisfying working to get highways and zip lines built and getting those likes.

Geki-D

Banned
It's dumb for die hardman too, and so is his name after finishing the game.
I think it's ok for Die Hardman. The problem is the fact it's not just some random mask but it has this whole history behind it that isn't explained.
no, i think there is more to it than that. people wear masks at different points in the story. Higgs even takes it off at some point. there has to be a more thematic meaning IMO than just covering your face.
no idea at this point tho. i'd imagine you would need to play through the game several times to start drawing those kind of connections.
I get the analogies about masks, generally people in game who wear them are lying and hiding things; they're hiding behind a mask. But it really is an on the nose metaphor that's probably the poorest part in the game's writing. Looking around I've read that Bridget wore the mask to hide the fact she looked the same as Amelie which makes sense when you don't think about it. But in universe how did she explain that off? That she just has this mask on all the time that looks like a skull? Why a skull mask?; Why a mask that looks so evil? The mask is just silly and there's no real logical reason for it.
Story wise there's a couple things here and there that bothered me like Sam not realizing he's never physically met Amelie? C'mon. Unless there's something I missed there's no explanation for that but yeah, I really love this game.
Sam has known and met Amelie, right in front of him and been able to touch her ever since he was born, but on the beach along with holograms outside. It's understandable that since childhood he'd eventually get mixed up and assume that he met her out of the beach in person too. I can easily let that slide.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i dunno, i wasn't bothered by any of it LOL. why the evil mask? i mean they are talking extinction of all life. might as well get upset there is a guy named Die Hardman. "it's so silly!" yeah, cool, the nonfiction section is thataway...

Kojima games are big and large, i remember not realizing things about MGSV's plot until the 3rd time through.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I think overall the writing was stellar, pretty much everything setup was explained. But the part about the mask before Die Hardman was the weakest point and not as solid as the rest 🤷‍♂️

#Phonepunk#

Banned

decent review tho i don't really agree with him on the story. dude is complaining about Kojima's lack of subtlety and longwindedness i'm like, "how many decades of his games have you played?"

it is funny how he compared Koji to Lynch then complains "i didn't get it the first time, I had to read some articles" um with Lynch movies you don't "figure them out" the joy is in discovering your meaning.

Bunnyhop is good at games but i don't think he knows what he is talking about wrt movies.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Zip-line the areas and you barely have to touch the snow. The initial treks to set them up was fun for me.

That whole process of exploring, building out and optimizing zip-line placement, then using them to max out the camps and get loads of 5 star premium deliveries is practically a game in itself. Really satisfying and fun. Its also one hell of a tech showcase popping an odradek pulse as you are zipping through the sky and watching huge swathes of terrain and the objects within it highlight.

Last edited:

Terenty

decent review tho i don't really agree with him on the story. dude is complaining about Kojima's lack of subtlety and longwindedness i'm like, "how many decades of his games have you played?"

it is funny how he compared Koji to Lynch then complains "i didn't get it the first time, I had to read some articles" um with Lynch movies you don't "figure them out" the joy is in discovering your meaning.

Bunnyhop is good at games but i don't think he knows what he is talking about wrt movies.

I love the game, still playing postgame but he vastly overestimates the intricacies of the traversal system. I will even go as far as to say traversal is just a complementary system to the rest of the game.

His clips showing his slow and precise descent down the mountain and even some strange manipulations of stick and buttons is a dead giveaway he somehow doesnt know about L2+R2, which completely negates any risk.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Ok, so I finally just "played" the first hour or so. This feels like it could be my kinda game. It has Kojima written all over it, literally and figuratively. I guess I don't have much to say since I've only watched intro cutscenes the whole time with very little exposure to what the game is, but the setup has been great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly if I had to categorize DS into a traditional style, I'd argue its more of a strategy game than anything else. To me, that's the core appeal of the gameplay.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, this game is so fucking weird! I'm still just barely scratching the surface. I purposely ignored the first mailbox they show you thinking that if I carried the annoyingly huge stack all the way to the waypoint, I'd get more credit. Nope, it was all for nothing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But I love this eerie feeling and just always wanting to continue to find out what in the hell is going on.

Mista

Banned
Man, this game is so fucking weird! I'm still just barely scratching the surface. I purposely ignored the first mailbox they show you thinking that if I carried the annoyingly huge stack all the way to the waypoint, I'd get more credit. Nope, it was all for nothing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But I love this eerie feeling and just always wanting to continue to find out what in the hell is going on.
This feeling you described is what made all of us come back. This feeling made me always want to go home from work and continue my journey. The same feeling that made me think of Sam Porter Bridges everytime I see a FedEx, DHL...etc trucks

This game came in the perfect time for me as I was about to hit snooze on gaming for a bit

I really don't want to go back to 5 star the people in snowy areas...

One of the things I did the moment I unlocked the zip line was setup zipline points every 200 or so meters across most points in the game including the crazy snowy terrain. Been such a great experience receiving likes from players for placing them zipline towers at strategic spots!

Just finished the game and I m so confused . I loved it but I can definitely see someone not liking it at all. It can be a masterpiece or a torture for different people. Haha

I give it 8.75/10.
If chapter 3 had more variety I would give it 9.5 .

Aion002

Bought on sunday on an impulse... Damn this game is good!

Just making routes to deliver stuff is so fun. Also, brute forcing the way with the motorcycle is amazing.

I am not caring about the story to be honest, simply because I just wanna keep playing the game.

Initially I thought that since the game doesn't focus on combat I would not like it.... I never imagined that I could enjoy this type of gameplay.

I will try to plat it!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Platinumed today!

That was a really awesome game.

First I thought that it would leave a "Void" in me after completing it but I'm satisfied and done with the game.

It's not a perfect game but I apriciate it for what it is. Something fresh and different.

Verdanth

Finished the game today, and honestly, the game drags to long and my main feeling is this is a very niche game, you either love it or hate it.

The story ends up being pretty good, but only clicks when you are near the end. All the things you do through the middle feel pretty irrelevant if you ask me and there's clearly a lack of better story telling through those hours.

However I'm glad I stick with it to the end because the themes and messages Kojima delivers in this game are really interesting. The twists are nicely made.

Regarding the gameplay is ok, fun at times, and I liked some of the journey's it makes you make, some gadgets are cool to use at first but that's it. Then the game starts to drag...a lot...because the loop is really repetitive.

Vehicle mechanics are horrible, possibly the worst physics I've seen this generation.

Social mechanics are nice thought. The constant community work to upgrade structures really shines.

Graphics are very pretty, and the soundtrack...oh man, the soundtrack. Excellent taste.

However, in the end, this is not a new genre. Sorry Kojima-san.

What I initially thought I would feel with the game was on spot. An experience that shines better as a interactive movie rather than a game.

I praise Kojima for trying something totally different and refreshing but that doesn't mean he should have a free pass just because he created something so spectacular as the Metal Gear franchise.

Can't score it higher than a 7.5/10.

Last edited:
Whoa do roads actually form from often walked paths!?

I think it's ok for Die Hardman.

Well my main issue with it is that
he uses that name as an alias because he's in hiding but THAT WAS HIS NICKNAME BEFOREHAND

Like there are emails that go
duhh who could that be
and its like come on man...

Terenty

Kojima posted some awesome stuff

The best thing is Kojima obviously had the whole game figured out without any pre production period, that's why the game was made in such a short period.

I bet his next game is something he's had in mind for quite some time as well so we can hope for the fast development here too

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel like I’ve seen this scene before, slightly altered, but for Christmas I got Santa Mads in a BB flashback!

Also, some people in charge of delivery centers are wearing Santa hats

Nothing too big, but it’s nice to have some seasonal recognition while playing this awesome game. ( :

A.Romero

Finished today despite I got it on release day. Enjoyed the ride and I hope they keep releasing crazy games like this in the future. Not gonna replay it again, though.

Mista

Banned
Forcing myself to finish the game :(

Everything I built is gone! Now I have to walk all the way back to save Fragile😭

nowhat

The best thing is Kojima obviously had the whole game figured out without any pre production period
I think it's really incredible that
every trailer/teaser we saw is actually in the game. Watching them at release, I was sure it was more like concept art that wasn't intended to make sense. But all of it does within the game.

Terenty

Finished the game but still playing. That’s an indication for me that this game is special. I didn’t close the game like any other game after I finish it. No, I’m still damn playing!

I finished the main story at 80 hours and have been playing since then at 120 hours now, finished all the roads and almost leveled up all preppers. Then i'm gonna gather all my resources from all the preppers, build a postbox at every paver and donate 1000 of metals and ceramics per postbox. Then i will stop for good i think.

In other words, Kojima delivered

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Finished the game but still playing. That’s an indication for me that this game is special. I didn’t close the game like any other game after I finish it. No, I’m still damn playing!
Same for me.

Finished the story at about 60 hours and kept playing far longer.

I just couldn't stop.

Mista

Banned
Over 150 hours here too. LOL even though I’ve done almost everything in the game I can’t stop it’s just too fun to play.
The online interaction is a big part of the great experience. I like helping people a lot. I even spent lots of hours upgrading their stuff

Top Bottom