• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

The Shepard

35 hours into this game and I'm absolutely loving it. I only brought it as it was cheap. I hated metal gear solid 5 compared to the rest of the series and thought this would be a bore fest on a similar level, never been so glad to be proven wrong.

Woggleman

I enjoyed the game while I played it for the most part but moving around as frustrating as hell and since I beat it I have had no desire to return. I find myself just returning to Red Dead 2 or HZD because those two games to me have much more enjoyable post games. That being said the story is top notch in DS.

Grinchy

Banned
I finished those 3 main orders and did some extra stuff afterward (chapter 3) and I'm loving my new toys. I also only contributed to one section of the freeway and now it spans through so much of the area. I assume it's a group effort. Holy shit did that just make a bunch of sidequests much easier lol

Mista

Banned
I finished those 3 main orders and did some extra stuff afterward (chapter 3) and I'm loving my new toys. I also only contributed to one section of the freeway and now it spans through so much of the area. I assume it's a group effort. Holy shit did that just make a bunch of sidequests much easier lol
I see you’re digging it more now. Glad to read that you’re enjoying it

Trimesh

Banned
I've got so many games I haven't started playing yet, I was trying to avoid getting any more - but this game seems so polarizing it's got to be worth trying. Out of my friends, about 80% love it at 20% hate it - but everyone has an opinion...

So I finally gave in a got a copy...

kwlfNrF.jpg

LokusAbriss

I've got so many games I haven't started playing yet, I was trying to avoid getting any more - but this game seems so polarizing it's got to be worth trying. Out of my friends, about 80% love it at 20% hate it - but everyone has an opinion...

kwlfNrF.jpg
You will love it or regret your purchase. No inbetween. Enjoy!

Do not waste your time with completing everything in the starting chapters.

Mista

Banned

kwlfNrF.jpg
That’s a weird sticker on the box. Which version is this?

Grinchy

Banned
Well I visited a cool farm and went back to a weather station. I just can't stop doing side content no matter how much I want to push myself to continue the story :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Planning out routes to gather big loads of supplies with knowledge of where there will be lots of them and what tools you'll be using to make the trip easier is just too addicting. I have to promise myself I'll only fill up a couple more auto pavers before I go back to story stuff.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
200+ hours in now, just finishing the last remaining deliveries, while running around and looking for memory chips. whenever i get to a place with a Share Locker i just take everything, so im constantly making deliveries for other people. trying to get my Bridge Link score up this way, cos it is something i ignored entirely during my first playthrough.

nothing like getting to a place, loading up a truck full of premium stuff, and driving full speed, stopping whenever you want to pick up stuff along the highway. the gameplay loop is so perfect and varied, it is quite customizable. ultimate sandbox right here!

DapperSloth

I am giving away a code for bonus digital items. I already have them so don't need them. It's for the digital album "TimeFall" and Ludens GoldMask :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:.

You can PM me, don't want lurkers to get it.

Today walking to my work I start thinking about the games I played recently..RDR2, Spiderman, GoW, CoD, Judgment, etc.
All awesome games but Death Stranding, BBs, BT, EE..... how that $#% Kojima have those ideas and up that make a game that make mostly sense. lol.

I can barely remember SpiderMan or RDR2 main story hahaha.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, there is an awful sequence in chapter 4. There is a section with some of the worst third person shooter controls I've ever witnessed. It was visually incredible, but so, so flawed.

I ended up having to reduce the difficulty down from Hard just to get it over with so I could continue with the good parts of the game. This game is such a roller coaster. There are some brilliant moments followed by "what the fuck were you thinking??" moments.

And the side story with the junk dealer and the woman whose voice actor sounds like a 10 year old with a learning disability was such a swing and a miss :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm glad to be back on track with good shit again in chapter 5.

Mista

Banned
Man, there is an awful sequence in chapter 4. There is a section with some of the worst third person shooter controls I've ever witnessed. It was visually incredible, but so, so flawed.

I ended up having to reduce the difficulty down from Hard just to get it over with so I could continue with the good parts of the game. This game is such a roller coaster. There are some brilliant moments followed by "what the fuck were you thinking??" moments.

And the side story with the junk dealer and the woman whose voice actor sounds like a 10 year old with a learning disability was such a swing and a miss :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm glad to be back on track with good shit again in chapter 5.
Yeah it wasn't perfect but not bad at all at the same time. Was challenging a bit but easy when you take a different approach

The woman who was the voice actor is someone that is a big deal in Japan somehow😂

Have fun!

KOMANI

KOMANI
Mala Morgan, she’s an IG celebrity. Has written some things and taken some photographs.
16:30 in

Grinchy

Banned
Mala Morgan, she’s an IG celebrity. Has written some things and taken some photographs.
16:30 in

Instagram celebrity...ah, well I guess that explains it, then. I mean, I don't know if a better voice actor could have made that storyline interesting to me, but this one guaranteed it wouldn't work.

And then the game goes into some Fragile/Higgs stuff that's so damn good. It's just so all over the place with being high quality one moment and then amateur hour the next.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm finally getting so close to finishing this. It's the game that never ends lol. I enjoy doing side missions too much and I find myself begrudgingly continuing the story. I really liked the stuff with Heartman in whatever chapter that was and I've made it all the way to Edge Knot and now I have a new trek ahead of me after some goings-on.

This is a good game, but I still find myself on some kind of sea-saw where I'm really liking it one moment and quite annoyed with it the next. It's finally wrapping up, though. I imagine once it's over, I'll find myself right back to building roads and maxing out preppers. My favorite activity so far is setting up efficient zipline networks where I have to make my way up to mountain peaks to get the best coverage.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's finally over. The cord binding me to this game has been severed. There was some pretty good stuff in the ending, but it also ended way too many times, had too many annoying segments, and just took way too long. Man, do I have some extremely mixed feelings about this game. For now, I'm just glad it's over.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Is that referring to the drawn out, repetitive animation every time you encounter BT territory?
You mean the one that comes after the interruption to tell you it’s raining and then another interruption to signal something is wrong? Making it a total of 3 interruptions in gameplay? Yes, that’s the one.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is that referring to the drawn out, repetitive animation every time you encounter BT territory?

Yeah. On a bit of a rant, it’s not just the BTs. It’s the entire game. There are so many forced animations that grind things to a halt, or become unbearably repetitive.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m a fan, but I don’t care for those moments at all. Everything would flow so much better without them. A prime example being the recycle cutscene, which almost makes me not want to bother. Even skipping it requires two skips!

I hope Kojima learns from that for his next. At least vary the camerawork and animations so that we have something fresh to see every time, or better yet, make this stuff happen in gameplay.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah. On a bit of a rant, t’s not just the BTs. It’s the entire game. There are so many forced animations that grind things to a halt, or become unbearably repetitive.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m a fan, but I don’t care for those moments at all. Everything would flow so much better without them. A prime example being the recycle cutscene, which almost makes me not want to bother. Even skipping it requires two skips!

I hope Kojima learns from that for his next. At least vary the camerawork and animations so that we have something fresh to see every time, or better yet, make this stuff happen in gameplay.
I had gotten to the point where I was filling up my private locker with used container repair sprays, used blood bags, worn out robot legs, ect, all just because I didn't feel like going through those god damn recycling skips and menus just to do one or two items at a time. I waited until I had big stacks.

Hell, just look at the process of going into your private room and taking a shower! Park car on garage, hold O to go down, skip 4 cutscenes to finally have control in your room. Select shower. Skip 4 cutscenes to have control again. Fill up stamina? Select the drinks 3 times and skip 3 cutscenes. Now, leave the room. Skip the initial loading bay cutscene, skip the Cliff vision if it's a repeat.

All of that just to do a simple visit to your room. I hope you don't have to recycle anything now that you're back upstairs!

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah. On a bit of a rant, it’s not just the BTs. It’s the entire game. There are so many forced animations that grind things to a halt, or become unbearably repetitive.

The patch today add an option that these animations only happens the first time.

Collin

Banned
I really hope that Kojima scales down his next project. MGSV and Death Stranding have their moments but neither come close to the brilliance of MGS1 or MGS3. Open worlds work for some games but I don’t think Kojima understands how to make them feel lived in or how to make exploring them feel rewarding. Both games have very bland environments and in both I got very bored pretty quickly. Just do one location, one long night, with a cool exciting cast of characters telling a wild crazy sci-fi-meets-politics story. It doesn’t even have to be that long, I’d be fine with a tight polished 8-hour game. Not every game needs to be an 100 hour grind. I’d be so goddamn excited if he announced something like that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the new update totally rules. i really appreciate them patching out a way to skip those micro cutscenes.

still trucking along, delivering Premiere packages, slowly maxing out all of them. this game is still so much fun to play around in. i will start playing and then 3 hours will go by like that.
Just started playing this for the first time. Any non-spoilery must-know tips for new players?
just do the Deliveries for Sam to progress the story. moving it along to Chapter 3 is probably a good idea, cos by then you get all your tutorials and items out of the way, you can make full use of the tools at hand. don't worry about doing side missions or picking up anything you don't have to, unless you want to challenge yourself.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wow this is straight up horror territory. They decided to use the most generic ones it seems
The designs are amazing, I wonder why they didn't eventually use them in game.

They are, but with BTs mostly being simple human spirits reaching out from the other side, looking for connection, the grotesque zombie/Silent Hill direction doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Don’t get me wrong, those designs are unbelievably cool, but I don’t think they fit where the game ended up.

Finished the game after 51 hours. Ill be honest, after all the reviews I was sure I was gonna hate it but in the end I got hooked on the gameplay from the very beginning. Its like MGS5 where the gameplay part made you keep coming back just I feel here its even better. Just when I thought "how stupid, why dont I have this and this", I get it in the next chapter so it has a very good pacing for equipment progression. Loved the super long cutscenes as thats what I missed most from MGS5 since MGS4 is my favorite in the series.

I avoided mainly pointless fetch quests under Other Orders, just kept chugging at that mainline story so it kept it fresh for me. Oh and I also did the pizza missions :p I loved coming to a safehouse and checking the shared locker and finding sometimes 2 times higher level equipment that I couldnt fabricate myself yet. If theres one thing I wish was different its the actual interaction between other players. Likes are the main thing but I got disappointed that when I would shout out "im sam", that its their structure that automatically replies. It kinda killed the magic where I thought someone is really playing at the same time as me we just cant see each other. I wish at rest zones if you had a headset, we could actually chat with each other "hey man dont go there, wow what I just experienced".

Anyway Ill continue to build roads, donate to other players but for me DS shouldnt have a sequel. Its a pewrfect one off. Has obviously issues but its not 1/10 nor does it deserve 10/10. Thats just marketing BS. But from me a very strong 8/10. Keep on keeping on!

Top Bottom