• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Death Stranding Review Thread

Nydus

May 6, 2014
Just finished it. Roughly 85 hours played. Just. . . fuck. Goty.
I also finished it around that mark. Gameplaywise it's not that spectacular, albeit something new and intriguing but here and there it could have needed some more time in the oven. You really need a thick hide to platinum this beast.

But the story...oh boy. I don't know the last time when I was so captured by the cast of a videogame. I cheered and feared for them and the ending almost made me cry...twice!

I'm with skillup on this one. It's bullshit to criticize this game for some minor flaws when the whole grand thing is such an epic adventure.

Death stranding has earned it's place in my life as one of the greatest and most impactful games I ever payed besides secret of mana (where I was 10) and doki doki literature club.

PS: fuck the dunkey review. Did he do this on purpose to farm drama???

MajinSweet4

Sep 3, 2014
People are really over reacting to the Dunkey review. I absolutely love this game and I thought his review was perfectly fine. Death Stranding is not the type of game that most people are going to like as is, and if you know Dunkeys taste, you'd know he'd hate this game. And that's fine, Death Stranding is a weird game.

mckmas8808

May 24, 2005
The pacing of my progress 35 hours in is amazing! It's insane how small upgrades and new tech opens the game up every 5 or so hours. Makes it feel like a new game everytime I get a new piece of tech to use.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
Nov 26, 2016
I also finished it around that mark. Gameplaywise it's not that spectacular, albeit something new and intriguing but here and there it could have needed some more time in the oven. You really need a thick hide to platinum this beast.

But the story...oh boy. I don't know the last time when I was so captured by the cast of a videogame. I cheered and feared for them and the ending almost made me cry...twice!

I'm with skillup on this one. It's bullshit to criticize this game for some minor flaws when the whole grand thing is such an epic adventure.

Death stranding has earned it's place in my life as one of the greatest and most impactful games I ever payed besides secret of mana (where I was 10) and doki doki literature club.

PS: fuck the dunkey review. Did he do this on purpose to farm drama???
sony fanboys are so delusional. its crazy, its like a cult or something like that. wow reading this and I cant believe what Im reading here...
get a live bro, please, go out, get some fresh air.. this is not healthy anymore

Reactions: Bodatan

Northeastmonk

Mar 18, 2013
Omaha, NE - USA
sony fanboys are so delusional. its crazy, its like a cult or something like that. wow reading this and I cant believe what Im reading here...
get a live bro, please, go out, get some fresh air.. this is not healthy anymore
What do non-Sony fanboys think is an epic adventure? Gears, Witcher, Half-Life? Does the praise to the plot have to be watered down to the point of non-existence? Its like those people who say "nerd" and "get a life" after someone comments after a Star Wars trailer. Reach some certain amount of praise over a piece of entertainment and someone calls it unhealthy. Might as well cut down the maypole while you're at it and burn our books.

Last edited:

Nydus

May 6, 2014
People are really over reacting to the Dunkey review. I absolutely love this game and I thought his review was perfectly fine. Death Stranding is not the type of game that most people are going to like as is, and if you know Dunkeys taste, you'd know he'd hate this game. And that's fine, Death Stranding is a weird game.
He didn't like it, and of course he exaggerated everything. Parody is his thing.
Didnt feel like good parody to me this time. normally i enjoy his videos, even if he shits on games i like. this time around it just felt a bit forced to me. i raged for the same reasons he did, but those happened once every hour tops. (at least if you dont try to bruteforce your way to your destination) Maybe its less the topic of this video that bothers me but more that it just isnt a GOOD video for me. i had no real laughs while watching it. I mean the jokes for the cringy cutscenes write themselves but they where just not really funny in his video. :/ well not all his videos can be to my taste. its not like ill write him a mean comment and unsubscribe so he cant sleep at night! :p

H Heinrich rofl that "insult" is so 2000. i dont know if you are oldschool or just shit at trolling :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MiguelItUp

Feb 24, 2015
Honestly I'm sure majority of those "user reviews" were made by people that never played the game, didn't care to, or were just haters. That's the biggest issue with user reviews. There's no way to confirm if a person has legitimately played a game. So, as a result, you pretty much get children review bombing games. Which, in my opinion, is an absurd practice.

nikolino840

Dec 30, 2018
Honestly I'm sure majority of those "user reviews" were made by people that never played the game, didn't care to, or were just haters. That's the biggest issue with user reviews. There's no way to confirm if a person has legitimately played a game. So, as a result, you pretty much get children review bombing games. Which, in my opinion, is an absurd practice.
And if someone have voted 10 Just for raise up the user score without judging the pros and cons of the game? Maybe Just becouse they have played only the tutorial before voting and not finished the game?

Is the First Time for metacritic clean the negatives users score?

Aug 26, 2018
Wait, people are actually applauding that Metacritic removes negative reviews? Based on what metric do they know that 6400 reviews were unreasonable and review-bombs? Thats total BS and padding a games overall score. Then they should remove a ton of 10/10 reviews because just as equally, they came running wanting to defend and either just left a score with barely any context or wrote, best game ever even though it was out for like 12 hours.

What about COD MW? The negative comments have nothing to do with with gameplay, you can easily see who wrote an honest review and which 3000+ Russians were pissed off the way they were represented in the game and left 0/10. Or what about infinite Warefare? It was a hype train to hate on it before it even came out just because it was set in future and not WW2. Even though it was probably one of the best campaigns and looked beautiful, they had no problem with leaving the 3.5 user score. Fuck Off MC and this Kojima deepthroating. At least be equal towards all games.

MiguelItUp

Feb 24, 2015
Fuck Off MC and this Kojima deepthroating. At least be equal towards all games.
The thing is that it has been a problem for several years. I think it'd just be beneficial to remove user reviews that are score based. Or metacritic altogether, if something better can replace it.

It has nothing to do with "Kojima deepthroating", I just think that Death Stranding is clearly the latest AAA title, maybe even "exclusive" (albeit timed), that has gotten slammed that bad. Has to stop somewhere, it just should've never gotten to that/this point. It's stupid.

Arachnid

Jan 31, 2019
Wait, people are actually applauding that Metacritic removes negative reviews? Based on what metric do they know that 6400 reviews were unreasonable and review-bombs? Thats total BS and padding a games overall score. Then they should remove a ton of 10/10 reviews because just as equally, they came running wanting to defend and either just left a score with barely any context or wrote, best game ever even though it was out for like 12 hours.
Review bombing is waaaaaay more prevalent than those unwarranted 10s. That wouldn't equal out.

Reactions: mckmas8808

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007
Sounds like there's some huge review bombing by some upset gamers out there. Good job Metacritic. God forbid people actually like a game that's not available on another console.
I imagine they had some way to identify that those were done by bots or something. They don't remove genuine troll/ridiculous 0 point reviews for the most part.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Reactions: ethomaz

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I think so too... the fact they "only" removed 6k from 9k means they have some type of curate to remove the trolls scores.
If you search this very forum, it goes back years and years. Some make news more than others depending on the fanaticism or salt.

Steam does it too. They are well aware of review bombing (hence why EGS supposedly was against user reviews).

Last edited: