• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

D-Dude

Pretty mixed, like we all expected. Waiting for ACG.
I watched SkillUps review, he seems to like it. I never read IGN or the rest or watch their horrible video-reviews. This will be a sale for me, because I already bought Medievil and Luigi for our son

Mista

Banned
I honestly don’t find it that negative, and the one posted just up above seems much more negative. (Post 65) since iOS 13 wont let me quote for some reason.

If they don’t enjoy the gameplay why are they going to suffer through it to get to the next story point? and if they all are playing on easy how annoying is it going to be for the average player who starts on normal?

Should reviewers stop posting thier actual feelings about a game because someone might be offended by them?
Why the fuck would anyone get offended over a game review or score?

Kagey K

Banned
Nobody cares what you think here everyone already knows youre an xbox astroturfer

Your opinion regarding death stranding or the last of us II doesnt have any weight or significance since we already knew you always have ulterior motives against playstation in general
That’s untrue, and the same can be said about you in reverse, yet it doesn’t stop you from interjecting in Xbox conversations.

My opinion in Sony conversations is the same as yours in Xbox ones.... True?

TeamGhobad

Banned
A15YOo5.png

klosos

ill hold off judgement until i get around to playing it , so i can make my own judgement( ps i don't like kojima , MGS is overrated).I bet this is the opposite to Dragon age Inquisition when games media said its brilliant and everyone i spoke to hated it .

Kagey K

Banned
I went and searched through all reviews and not one ever says the game is fun or the game is enjoyable.

They all seem to slog through the same tedious stuff to get cutscenes. What is that?
How does not one review say it is fun? Isn’t that what games are supposed to be?

Geki-D

Banned
Nobody cares what you think here everyone already knows youre an xbox astroturfer

Your opinion regarding death stranding or the last of us II are meaningless and doesnt have any weight or significance at all since we already knew you always have ulterior motives against playstation game in general
Kagey K jacking himself off over the fact the game got some low scores yet the game will no doubt still have a higher metascore than most Xbox exclusives.

Soon to come: Kagey K crying in the Ban Review/Justice Project thread about the unfair "Sony GAF" mods because they got sick of his console warring BS for the 600th time. The Kagey K cycle just keeps going on and on.

Last edited:

GV82

I think I understand the meaning behind this game now after Giant Bombs Quick look.

It’s a subtle commentary on Japanese gamers possibly others around the world too, how they don’t get out often enough and need to make more connections with humans and meeting people, making Delivery jobs look cool which is also a hint that getting a delivery job will make you less anti social because you’re in constant contact usually one on one, face to face contact (e.g food or bigger parcel delivery) unless of course more than one person comes to the door but on the other hand there’s some delivery jobs (postman or cargo delivery) where you have even less human contact and yet you do still have to have some contact with people at base for example, but not contact with humans on a level of say a retail server which can be overbearing for someone who hasn’t been out in a while.

Also tries teaching gamers how helping out others in your community by helping build items such as bridges etc is rewarding.

This thought that it’s commenting on modern anti social Gamers is backed up with the monster energy drinks & Pizza in the game which is a stereotypical gamers food choice oh and before I forget.

The idea of making the baby an integral part of the game & it’s connection to the character , probably an attempt at making gamers empathetic towards the idea of caring for a baby if I’m not mistaken haven’t they said in Japan the youth are having less children than ever? Because not enough of the younger generations are having meaningful relationships?

All filtered through the mind of Kojima.

Stranding means being social with other! In a cool futuristic package that’s telling you to get out & connect with people more itl, by teaching it to you through a cool game.

Or most likely I could be talking out of my ass & I don’t understand this game whatsoever 😂

I want to add that I haven’t had more than 3hrs sleep last night, just watched this footage and thats what my brain shat out

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Woah there dude.

You think the average player cares about a tight, well balanced game with good mechanics?

Most of these fuckers play FIFA 90% of the time.

Those "fuckers" who play FIFA all the time do so for 3 reasons: they're football fans, they're addicted to ultimate team & they're also addicted to the competitiveness of the multiplayer irrespective of the actual gameplay. Ditto Call of Duty, Destiny etc. In any case it's not about "emotions" when playing those games (i.e. which jeuxvideo.com for example used in its 19/20 Death Stranding score). Even at best, such concepts (i.e. emotions) are entirely subjective to the person reviewing it & should merit a caveat: "I enjoyed the emotional experience, some might not..". Video games are not movies, so they cannot (at least in theory) be judged on the same criteria. Reading some of these Death Stranding reviews makes me think certain outlets have forgotten that.

I just don't think most "gamers" have reached the point where feels > gameplay is a reality yet.

Oddspeak

Motherfuckers see reviews they don't agree with and suddenly they're pissing and moaning about whose definition of "art" or "fun" video games should be pigeon-holed into the most.

mortal

Gold Member
I must say, dude. It seems like you're not in any way interested in playing this game, and that's fair. Most of the published reviews are mostly positive and do cover the game's short comings. Yet you seem very obsessed with hi-lighting the negatives despite them not being the dominate consensus. What's even your point here? Are you posting this out of spite? lol

You're not exactly being constructive here, and I doubt you're convincing many tbh.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Motherfuckers see reviews they don't agree with and suddenly they're pissing and moaning about whose definition of "art" or "fun" video games should be pigeon-holed into the most.

I've been "pissing" on bullshit game reviews for over a decade. But I'm not a "motherfucker" (in the literal sense), so you're only 50% accurate.

So far it seems like most reviewers like it, with a few mixed and a few who don't. Seems like it's one of those games that if it clicks with you, it's a good game.

Overall it's a good result, certainly not the disaster some people were expecting, I cannot wait to play it.

Oddspeak

I must say, dude. It seems like you're not in any way interested in playing this game, and that's fair. Most of the published reviews are mostly positive and do cover the game's short comings. Yet you seem very obsessed with hi-lighting the negatives despite them not being the dominate consensus. What's even your point here? Are you posting this out of spite? lol

You're not exactly being constructive here, and I doubt you're convincing many tbh.

He's so determined to argue in bad faith, that his brain changed all the 9s, and 10s into 3s.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That’s untrue, and the same can be said about you in reverse, yet it doesn’t stop you from interjecting in Xbox conversations.

My opinion in Sony conversations is the same as yours in Xbox ones.... True?

I think we had enough of your console war for now

I think its time for you to pull aside from here

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
"delivery is most of the game, countless stretches where there's little other than the quiet and an objective marker, it's a sort of intentional boredom that can be off putting which seems to be the point"

Easy skip.
Thats the exciting part. I wanted a game like this. I still launch gta iv to just roam at night or fuel to roam around and relax while listening to podcast. Its relax, its something different

mortal

Gold Member
the good reviews are just people too chickenshit to call out kojima for what he really is a hack.
You do realize how fucking childish you sound? You think other people enjoying a game you're not interested in is indicative of shilling?
Do you huff your own farts while typing out your posts as well?

Wow, hadn't read the thread before, but some people really wanted this game to be crap, huh?
It's bizarre really. TeamGhobad TeamGhobad in particular seems to have a hate boner for this game.

Cato

Banned
Those "fuckers" who play FIFA all the time do so for 3 reasons: they're football fans, they're addicted to ultimate team & they're also addicted to the competitiveness of the multiplayer irrespective of the actual gameplay. Ditto Call of Duty, Destiny etc. In any case it's not about "emotions" when playing those games (i.e. which jeuxvideo.com for example used in its 19/20 Death Stranding score). Even at best, such concepts (i.e. emotions) are entirely subjective to the person reviewing it & should merit a caveat: "I enjoyed the emotional experience, some might not..". Video games are not movies, so they cannot (at least in theory) be judged on the same criteria. Reading some of these Death Stranding reviews makes me think certain outlets have forgotten that.

I just don't think most "gamers" have reached the point where feels > gameplay is a reality yet.

That is a lot of words to just say they are retards.

Konami was right in the end.

But seriously the user score will be so much fucking lower, especially for the ones that buys it a week or two in, when this piece of shit ""strand game"" has materialized and people have put bridges and ladders EVERYWHERE so you can just ride you bike to make deliveries 90% of the times, the game will almost exclusivly be cutscenes then. Thats the shitty part, if you want to experience it the best way you have to buy it at launch or else you will play with ladders and bridges to every delivery point. It will be piss easy.

I dont want to buy it at full price, but i dont want to buy it for 30 either and play in a world where people has allready built everything for me.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Seems like gameplay is utter shit but everything else is amazing and in an age where gameplay has become extremely important, it's not shocking that it's getting criticized roughly for it. I'm actually more interested in getting it now. I was expecting critics to suck Kojimas dick but I'm quite impressed with the outcome. You can feel the sadness in that IGN reviewer, he really wanted this to be the best game ever.

Orta

Banned
Sounds like the kind of game that would bore me and my ten minute attention span to tears.

No thanks.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's a shame. Guess it's bargain bin material for me. I'm sure confused customers who don't get it will quickly reduce the price at used game stores.

Kagey K

Banned
Youre not doing us any favor either by making this place toxic and inhospitable to gamers and fellow enthusiast
As are you sir.

it’s not a one way street, just look at your comments in this thread.

Im here to talk about this game, you don’t seem to be.

Dargor

Or they saw it for what it was.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Glass half empty, glass half full.

Huh? What it was? What does that even mean? The people who played the game so far, the reviewers, seems to think its good to great. So I can only assume "what it was", for you, is a poor game?

If so, look, not liking it is one thing, acting like a toddler having a temper tantrum is another.

Kagey K

Banned
Huh? What it was? What does that even mean? The people who played the game so far, the reviewers, seems to think its good to great. So I can only assume "what it was", for you, is a poor game?

If so, look, not liking it is one thing, acting like a toddler having a temper tantrum is another.
What?

Top Bottom