• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

ethomaz

Banned
If there are purposeful 0 scores put in, is it safe to say there are purposeful 10 scores put in?
Yeap but I don't think they remove the 10s or maybe they have some way to do that.
But they sure remove most of 0s some weeks after the launch I just can't say about the 10s because I never checked.

Well user scores never worked well... it is too biased.
Maybe if you can vote only if you brought the game but there is no way to Meta check that.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Yeap but I don't think they remove the 10s or maybe they have some way to do that.
But they sure remove most of 0s some weeks after the launch I just can't say about the 10s because I never checked.

Well user scores never worked well... it is too biased.
Maybe if you can vote only if you brought the game but there is no way to Meta check that.
Yeah like the “verified purchase” reviews on Amazon.

The way Metacritic could implement that would be to have the user/reviewer put in the SKU number/barcode of their purchase or something along those lines

Bkdk

Highly recommend to just watch the playthrough on youtube, skip all the boring gameplay and just enjoy the cutscenes, same goes for many sony big exclusives especially those from naughty dog. You get a more enjoyable experience actually.

Shifty

Highly recommend to just watch the playthrough on youtube, skip all the boring gameplay and just enjoy the cutscenes, same goes for many sony big exclusives especially those from naughty dog. You get a more enjoyable experience actually.
Already posted this in the OT, but fuck it. It fits.

3fgjnl.jpg

HelpYouFall

But I'll absolutely defend his new game from people attacking it who haven't even played it because that stuff is the worst.

What exactly means attacking though? I spend three hours watching streams and decided it looks boring, filled with faux deep meta nonsense and that it's not for me.
I also (kindly) voiced Kojima circlejerks Kurosawa, Sergio Leone and Kubrick all the time, yet doesn't have the narrative talent to stand on the shoulders of these giants in visual storytelling, in my opinion.
I'm very happy games like these are made, hope everyone that does play it enjoys it and still think it looks incredibly pedantic and pompous.

Is that attacking the game?

I mean there isn't much more to do than laugh at people still thinking the archaic practices of Nintendo are top drawer.

Arbitrary metric? What's more arbitrary than the 83 Metacritic gives you? A game could get all 83s and end up with 83, or a game could have 15 critics give it 10/10, the most of any game in 2019 and end up with an 83. The 83 doesn't tell you shit. Like the T-Meter it's a way to celebrate safe, mediocrity that everyone can enjoy, that's why Nintendo games always score so well and that's why Marvel movies always score so well, they don't upset anyone but they don't really challenge them either.

Archaic practices? LOL yeah, you're right, when you put it like that I suppose it is pretty funny.

Your example is hilarious because Marvel movies don't score particularly well at least as far as MC is concerned. I don't even know how to answer your other point. Like Nintendo produces "mediocrity that everyone can enjoy"? And you say that nonsense to defend a fucking walking simulator where the main mechanic is the possibility of tripping on some rocks? The idea of the aggregated score is to generate some sort of consensus, it isn't about how many people gave it a 10/10. It's about how many people enjoyed it overall, which should give you an idea if you're going to enjoy it. The proper way to defend your shit game made by a mega corporation is to say that review scores don't matter, which is valid. Creating a random set of rules to gauge the quality of the game using those review scores makes no sense and borders on idiotic. At the end of the day, you can deal with the fact that fucking Luigi's Mansion 3 was better received than your precious Amazon courier extravaganza. Because it's a videogame that features good gameplay, it's that simple, it's not because it doesn't "upset anyone but don't really challenge them either". What the fuck does that even mean?

Eiknarf

Banned
Yeap at least the first hours are amazing.
The mistery and atmosphere of the game is something else.
The game has that weird power of not left your head even when you are not playing it.
It is still early but I'm liking the delivering gameplay loop.
In the 80s I liked that popular game PAPERBOY, which was essentially a delivery game.

So I may like DS

8ppPIwq.jpg

I finished episode one just now, that's all I can squeeze in for today and I've enjoyed it so far.

What I'm most surprised about is the controls. I was expecting the fucking worst, even worse than RDR2. While the game tries to simulate momentum, it's a far cry from RDR2. It feels actually very responsive and the "stealth" passage was pretty much like Metal Gear Solid 5.

The only thing which is really bad in terms of controls is how you tilt the fucking map. Holding a finger on the touchpad and then tilting the gamepad is awful. Why can't I press a shoulder button and tilt it with the analog sticks? WTF Kojima?

I like it, let's see how this holds up over the next 20 hours.

ethomaz

Banned
You know I'm loving? You can take different routes to reach you delivering point.
In the case below...

CxcPaWt.jpg

• I can cross the mountains using the ladders developed by others online players.
  • I can go thought the waterfall using the ladders developed by others online players.
  • I can go left, cross the river and avoid both the waterfall and mountains.
Love <3

Ogbert

You know I'm loving? You can take different routes to reach you delivering point.
In the case below...

CxcPaWt.jpg

• I can cross the mountains using the ladders developed by others online players.
  • I can go thought the waterfall using the ladders developed by others online players.
Love <3

Genuinely not having a dig, but can't you do that in any Open World game?

Also, and not to purposefully raise BoTW (plenty to dislike in that game for certain people), but there you could go in any direction you saw fit. And jump off and fly. Anywhere.

The attraction of this game seems to be solely how beautiful you find the world and how much time you want to spend in it. I can't see much else.

ethomaz

Banned

Also, and not to purposefully raise BoTW (plenty to dislike in that game for certain people), but there you could go in any direction you saw fit. And jump off and fly. Anywhere.

The attraction of this game seems to be solely how beautiful you find the world and how much time you want to spend in it. I can't see much else.
If you think so.

Walking in this game is satisfying like no other open world game I played before
I choose to climb the mountain and for my surprise I found a rappelling rope there (and a glitch the rope pass over my body lol)... so fun.

WNr0iwu.jpg

Fly to any place is so boring and unsurprising lol

Last edited:

Doom85

Sorry to get off-topic, but god this is one of those perfect movie magic moments. To clarify (sorry if you already knew this), they blew up an actual building when shooting this scene so obviously they'd only get one take. Well, the explosion was supposed to be continuous. So when it stopped early, Heath stays in character, turns around and appears confused, messes with the remote, and then when the explosions start again he was legit surprised and did a little jump and quickly moved away.

Granted, this was never officially confirmed, but since the script simply said Joker was to walk away from the building and mentioned nothing about him stopping or messing with the remote, it seems likely to be true.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“Uber Eats Breath of the Wild”

That reminds me. I ordered Uber Eats last night from a dope ass Jamaican/Caribbean place I always get from. She was more than halfway to mi casa, and then I get an "order cancelled - refund" message. The reason was, "could not find your location". Like what?

I am platinum on that shit between ordering for my office staff all the time and my home. I guarantee the fat bitch was salivating over the delectable jerky smells emanating, and she just caved it in her face.

First time that has happened. Thank goodness Sam is not a hungry bitch.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sorry to get off-topic, but god this is one of those perfect movie magic moments. To clarify (sorry if you already knew this), they blew up an actual building when shooting this scene so obviously they'd only get one take. Well, the explosion was supposed to be continuous. So when it stopped early, Heath stays in character, turns around and appears confused, messes with the remote, and then when the explosions start again he was legit surprised and did a little jump and quickly moved away.

Granted, this was never officially confirmed, but since the script simply said Joker was to walk away from the building and mentioned nothing about him stopping or messing with the remote, it seems likely to be true.

I never knew that, nice! It was my favorite scene of the film too! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Psykodad

Banned
In the case below...

CxcPaWt.jpg

Love <3
Lol on my way back, I ended up on top of that mountain on the side of the waterfall.
Was fun to figure out how to get down with the gameplay mechanics and all.

Map design deserves praise as well.

Verdanth

Anybody with the collectors edition managed to redeem the avatars?

The code worked on my end, but no avatars on the download list.

No where to be found.

FranXico

Anybody with the collectors edition managed to redeem the avatars?

The code worked on my end, but no avatars on the download list.

No where to be found.
Avatars are only enabled, not downloaded. You should see them in your avatar list when you edit your profile.

Verdanth

Avatars are only enabled, not downloaded. You should see them in your avatar list when you edit your profile.

Nop, they're not there on my Avatars list. Every purchased avatar I got is under specials avatars. The Death Stranding ones are not there.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this is so wrong and true at the same time. currently watching the 8:30 hour long deathstranding cut.
i think i enjoy this

Ogbert

If you think so.

Walking in this game is satisfying like no other open world game I played before
I choose to climb the mountain and for my surprise I found a rappelling rope there (and a glitch the rope pass over my body lol)... so fun.

WNr0iwu.jpg

Fly to any place is so boring and unsurprising lol

Fair enough.

I could actually be down for a delivery simulator in a beautiful setting. What’s putting me off at the moment is there seems to be all manner of shit on top of that, which gets in the way.

I’ll pick it up eventually.

Hotspurr

Banned
This looks absolutely terrible. So basically all the criticisms of this game came true - it's a walking simulator with bad gameplay and pretty graphics. You guys spending $60 on this garbage? damn. I can see how a small minority of folks will enjoy this, but most fanboys who will praise this will play this game through in constipated resentment.

Edit: Sony games often get criticized for being walking simulators, but now they went ahead and made a whole game into one. LOL

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This looks absolutely terrible. So basically all the criticisms of this game came true - it's a walking simulator with bad gameplay and pretty graphics. You guys spending $60 on this garbage? damn. I can see how a small minority of folks will enjoy this, but most fanboys who will praise this will play this game through in constipated resentment.

Edit: Sony games often get criticized for being walking simulators, but now they went ahead and made a whole game into one. LOL
2npran.jpg

ethomaz

Banned

Actually the gameplay is pretty good.
I was surprised by that after the reviews but it turned out very good, refined and responsible.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Honestly? 8.5 seems about right. Visually stunning, music and audio is good, controls and animations are smooth and the characters seem interesting. The games atmosphere is amazing and I can fully understand why Digital Foundry compared DS to a Team ICO game.

As for the gameplay, it controls rather smooth and the "fun" is in planning your route and hiking.
It migh sound boring and vague, but it is exactly what it is and tbh it's far more fun than I personally expected it to be.

On the other hand, I can easily see how this can become tedious and frustrating (especially with the balance-mechanics) and I haven't even gotten to a point where I can get some action or whatever.

If you're looking for a more traditional action/adventure game or something like MGS, this is not the game for you.

But if you're interested, like Kojima games, don't mind less action-focused games and/or want something different, just buy it.
I think this is one of those games that needs to be experienced first hand.

Thank you for this write up. The team ico thing had me worried as really I’m not a huge fan of their games. Too slow paced for me personally.

I knew the music would be top notch, but bad traversal kills open world games for me, and the system in place for this game does not look fun for me.

I find it interesting based on what I’ve seen and read that this game seems a hundred times worse then any naughty dog title as far as being walk around for a bit until the next cutscene. At least I get to shoot guys there. Maybe I’ll wait for a deep sale or used copy

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Are you taking a piss and saying the gameplay is responsible in terms of delivering packages safely or responsive?
The gameplay, how do you control Sam, is pretty good.
It is intuitive, responsible and works pretty well.

The menu are a bit confusing and the menu letters are small for these that play a bit longer from the TV.

BTW transversal movement is what made the game good imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You can, but Death Stranding "gamifies" movement with a variety of systems and mechanics and requires that you engage with them, which makes it all feel meaningful and gives a sense of accomplishment.

I totally understand this is not appealing to a lot of people.

Phase

I'm trying to rush through RDR2 so I can get to DS (as I prefer to play and finish one game at a time) but I'm starting to think it's not possible in this game lol.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm trying to rush through RDR2 so I can get to DS (as I prefer to play and finish one game at a time) but I'm starting to think it's not possible in this game lol.

YO! I'm doing the EXACT samething. RDR2 is super long lol. I know I'm about 95% through the story, but I hate playing more than one single player story-based game at a time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Holy shit, this game is definitely a love it or hate it.

Look at this, only a small percentage of reviews are mixed. Kind of a microcosm of how everyone reacts to everything nowadays. It's like there's no place for nuanced thought anymore.

That is the current social climate we live in, especially online. No nuance, no context, just one extreme or the other. Whether it is sports, politics, film, music, etc., etc..

Well shit I was planning on picking this up later at a deep sale, but I had a discounted amazon pre-order that I forgot about. Gotta pay for shipping to return it or just keep it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That is the current social climate we live in, especially online. No nuance, no context, just one extreme or the other. Whether it is sports, politics, film, music, etc., etc..

From what I can tell, that actually seems to be a major theme of the game? I've only played two hours, but I think it's trying to tell me that the Internet connected the world, but ultimately led to stark divisions that led to the collapse of society...

What exactly means attacking though? I spend three hours watching streams and decided it looks boring, filled with faux deep meta nonsense and that it's not for me.
I also (kindly) voiced Kojima circlejerks Kurosawa, Sergio Leone and Kubrick all the time, yet doesn't have the narrative talent to stand on the shoulders of these giants in visual storytelling, in my opinion.
I'm very happy games like these are made, hope everyone that does play it enjoys it and still think it looks incredibly pedantic and pompous.

Is that attacking the game?
your opinion of a game based on watching streams isn't worth anyone's time even if you watch the entire game.
Archaic practices? LOL yeah, you're right, when you put it like that I suppose it is pretty funny.

Your example is hilarious because Marvel movies don't score particularly well at least as far as MC is concerned. I don't even know how to answer your other point. Like Nintendo produces "mediocrity that everyone can enjoy"? And you say that nonsense to defend a fucking walking simulator where the main mechanic is the possibility of tripping on some rocks? The idea of the aggregated score is to generate some sort of consensus, it isn't about how many people gave it a 10/10. It's about how many people enjoyed it overall, which should give you an idea if you're going to enjoy it. The proper way to defend your shit game made by a mega corporation is to say that review scores don't matter, which is valid. Creating a random set of rules to gauge the quality of the game using those review scores makes no sense and borders on idiotic. At the end of the day, you can deal with the fact that fucking Luigi's Mansion 3 was better received than your precious Amazon courier extravaganza. Because it's a videogame that features good gameplay, it's that simple, it's not because it doesn't "upset anyone but don't really challenge them either". What the fuck does that even mean?

I don't think you understand my point about mediocrity only telling people that people like the game doesn't tell you much. Metacritic is slightly more illustrative than rotten tomatoes but they're both designed to create a consensus and turn it into a numerical value. The consensus on death stranding still ends up a higher score than many games. The nuance of what went into that score includes the fact that it has more perfect scores than any other game in 2019. I don't see how that's a arbitrary metric that's like me telling you a game has the most game of the year awards of any game how how would that be arbitrary? I'm guessing there isn't very much you understand in life, though so trying to clarify to you that a game that's divisive is more exciting to some people than a game that's safe and everyone simply enjoys but few people love is probably a fool's errand. why would saying review scores don't matter be the proper way to defend it when based on actual review scores it's doing quite well by the way just so you know the metacritic average is not a review score metacritic doesn't review games and they give we weighting to different review sites based on some kind of priority that not everyone agrees with. like how giant bomb has massive importance even when it's Navarro reviewing it.

Top Bottom