• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Bodatan

Banned
Complete different games.

Try DS first after that try to post again about BotW.
How is that different? You claimed DS is a dynamic open world adventure which described BOTW perfectly with it's ground breaking open structure and dynamic.

Or DS is basically the same with other open world games in gameplay structure of going from point A to point B in order to complete the task?

KOMANI

KOMANI
Actually the walls are not invisibles... they are a red barrier created to protect the territory.
If it become blue you can cross it.

You can see the barriers and even shows in the map.
No, they’re are invisible walls too, specifically during a boss fight.

ethomaz

Banned
You can see them when you hit them. Pretty much the same thing.

Still stands, you can't go anywhere in DS. It's not an "open world".
You can go anywhere since you have skill, equipment or help.

Can you go anywhere in real life?

BTW the open design where you fly everywhere is just too boring... unless you are playing a super man like character.

Last edited:

FMXVII

I find it utterly fascinating how language evolves over time.

Shillings were actual coins back in the day.

But, despite the coins no longer being currency, nonetheless the term endures, much like birds for want of dinosaurs.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not really interested in one individuals deciding process for buying a game. I also don't think of this a place where we language police people to the point that arguing is more offensive to them than just using the term debate. yes there's some syntax problems it's not because English isn't my first language it's because I'm using neogaf on my phone right now. the point is you are not the problem so you really don't need to keep responding this is about people actually judging a game is worth based on what they've seen in a stream it's not about you making informed decisions about what you should and shouldn't buy I already said I haven't bought it myself.
Dude I'm just saying it was hard to understand you that's all. I get it. My thumbs are huge too. Phone forum banging with my thumbs is the equivalent to trying to type on a keyboard with my nose.

You can see them when you hit them. Pretty much the same thing.

Still stands, you can't go anywhere in DS. It's not an "open world".

You actually can go everywhere, even without equipment (harder though). except ofcourse the external map barriers like everygame.

Your comparison with BOTW doesn't stand because DS has a structured story you must follow and ΒΟΤW doesn't. In the end they serve the same purpose.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How is that different? You claimed DS is a dynamic open world adventure which described BOTW perfectly with it's ground breaking open structure and dynamic.

Or DS is basically the same with other open world games in gameplay structure of going from point A to point B in order to complete the task?

This is so fucking silly. Star Wars and 2001 are both "space" movies, but they are poles apart in tone and intention.

Death Stranding's world is not a fun playground by design, because that doesn't suit the fiction or the overall type of experience it seeks to be.

There is no singular perfect form for what a game should be in the exact same way there is no perfect movie. It all depends on what the viewer is looking for. I don't mind saying that I find Nintendo's output personally to be entirely irrelevant to my interests, but I appreciate the appeal for other people.

ROMhack

Lest we forget, BotW was designed as a very open game to mirror the original Legend of Zelda, which sought to conjure into our hearts and minds a grand sense of adventure.

Death of Stranding is clearly not the same type of experience with its insistence on awakening a thought dynamic akin to a challenging Sudoku.

Last edited:
But I don't :messenger_grinning_smiling: I'm pretty vocal on this forum about my hatred for the Nintendo Switch.

Yeah but you're pointing out a hindrance in DS' open world design not present in BOTW, so you fall in line with what I said about people diluting this thread with the idea of BOTW as a better game, even if you're no Nintendrone and I still can't wait for BOTW 2's threads to have no one bring up Death Stranding ever.

Bodatan

Banned
This is so fucking silly. Star Wars and 2001 are both "space" movies, but they are poles apart in tone and intention.

Death Stranding's world is not a fun playground by design, because that doesn't suit the fiction or the overall type of experience it seeks to be.

There is no singular perfect form for what a game should be in the exact same way there is no perfect movie. It all depends on what the viewer is looking for. I don't mind saying that I find Nintendo's output personally to be entirely irrelevant to my interests, but I appreciate the appeal for other people.
I'm not asking you, I'm asking Ethomaz, he claimed DS is a dynamic open world and not your usual generic open world games.

What so dynamic about DS stranding other than wandering around different path like xenoblade x in order to complete the task.

Bodatan

Banned
BotW was designed as a very open game to mirror the original Legend of the Zelda, which sought to conjure into the hearts and minds of players a grand sense of adventure.

Death of Stranding is clearly not the same type of experience with its insistence on awakening in the player thought dynamic akin to a Sudoku.
Or Xenoblade Chronicles X

Roni

Gold Member
If you guys want an honest to God take on this, here it is:

Setup:
The world ended... No one knows why, but reality is broken and the dead can roam the world of the living. This happens to a highly advanced civilization that had automated away most jobs. So, most people are soft and afraid. Even to walk outside.

Bridges is trying to step into the shoes of the US govt', trying to connect everyone back together through something called the Chiral network. How it works and stuff is detailed in the game.

Gameplay:
It's very slow. Let's get that out of the way. There's a clear focus on traversal over combat or even stealth. The game features a brand new gameplay system based on terrain, stamina and cargo. So, basically, instead of avoiding gun fire and anticipating where enemies will come from you'll instead focus on watching your step, making decisions of using or not equipment you brought with you and reacting to random shit that happens to you: Timefall, BT's, MULE's, coming up on a cliff with not enough ladders, descending a mountain loaded to the tits with cargo and no rope or stamina....

Shit like that.

If you can immerse yourself and roleplay while playing, you'll be in heaven. If you're looking for something to min-max, there's that too. you can simply challenge yourself by always travelling with maximum cargo. This makes the game very difficult in all aspects: combat, stealth and traversal.

Birdo

Banned
so you fall in line with what I said about people diluting this thread with the idea of BOTW as a better game

I never said BOTW was a better game (I don't like BOTW). I just said that they are two very different games.

Let's get something straight here, you fucking lunatics. I ACTUALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF DEATH STRANDING, AND WILL PROBABLY PICK IT UP SOON.

But I'm still free to question people calling it "Revolutionary" and "Like nothing else". I can't stand that crap. Get your feet back on the ground.

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
The only similarity of DS and BOTW is the dynamic encounter that made you planning before taking any step further.

In BOTW you can engage against the enemy directly in fight or stealth or using terrains and object or dynamic wind and physics or just hiding and slowly avoiding them.

Last edited:

ROMhack

If you guys want an honest to God take on this, here it is:

Setup:
The world ended... No one knows why, but reality is broken and the dead can roam the world of the living. This happens to a highly advanced civilization that had automated away most jobs. So, most people are soft and afraid. Even to walk outside.

Bridges is trying to step into the shoes of the US govt', trying to connect everyone back together through something called the Chiral network. How it works and stuff is detailed in the game.

Gameplay:
It's very slow. Let's get that out of the way. There's a clear focus on traversal over combat or even stealth. The game features a brand new gameplay system based on terrain, stamina and cargo. So, basically, instead of avoiding gun fire and anticipating where enemies will come from you'll instead focus on watching your step, making decisions of using or not equipment you brought with you and reacting to random shit that happens to you: Timefall, BT's, MULE's, coming up on a cliff with not enough ladders, descending a mountain loaded to the tits with cargo and no rope or stamina....

Shit like that.

If you can immerse yourself and roleplay while playing, you'll be in heaven. If you're looking for something to min-max, there's that too. you can simply challenge yourself by always travelling with maximum cargo. This makes the game very difficult in all aspects: combat, stealth and traversal.

Interesting take, thanks for sharing :)

I never said BOTW was a better game (I don't like BOTW). I just said that they are two very different games.

Let's get something straight here, you fucking lunatics. I ACTUALLY LIKE THE LOOK OF DEATH STRANDING, AND WILL PROBABLY PICK IT UP SOON.

But I'm still free to question people calling it "Revolutionary" and "Like nothing else". I can't stand that crap. Get your feet back on the ground.

People who played it have more of a perspective on such a thing than you do, though.

BTW part of what makes it dynamic is the ability to change the open world as well as experience changes others have made through asynchronous co-op.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not asking you, I'm asking Ethomaz, he claimed DS is a dynamic open world and not your usual generic open world games.

What so dynamic about DS stranding other than wandering around different path like xenoblade x in order to complete the task.

If you want a private conversation do it via PM, don't make asinine comparatives in a public forum and expect noone to comment.

DS is somewhat unique for the genre because the open world is a literal blank canvas, where the userbase itself dynamically creates the paths of least-resistance through their own efforts. Its also not just Souls'-like asymmetry where you can simply throw down messages to aid or troll those who come after, everything has a material cost here, both to construct and to carry to their point of deployment.

Bodatan

Banned
If you want a private conversation do it via PM, don't make asinine comparatives in a public forum and expect noone to comment.

DS is somewhat unique for the genre because the open world is a literal blank canvas, where the userbase itself dynamically creates the paths of least-resistance through their own efforts. Its also not just Souls'-like asymmetry where you can simply throw down messages to aid or troll those who come after, everything has a material cost here, both to construct and to carry to their point of deployment.
In other words, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Where you just landed on the undiscovered world and needed to fill the entire navigation system with your adventure, its also has the same message system as soul game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In other words, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Where you just landed on the undiscovered world and needed to fill the entire navigation system with your adventure, its also has the same message system as soul game.

You are missing the point. DS whole gameplay system orbits around transporting materials in order to build up the network. Weight is the critical risk/reward metric and it needs to be factored in at all times, especially insofar as the amount of aid you can offer to your fellow porters (players). There's a lot of subtlety to how it works that can only really be appreciated by playing the thing.

Its not just a layer on top of the core-loop, it is intrinsic to it.

ethomaz

Banned

DS world I'd dynamic because each step you do is different, is a challenge, is a puzzle... and the world dynamic changes thought the time lol.

You can wake up today and have a bridge to cross a place faster or that you didn't go... or the same place you took 5 minutes to cross yesterday today will take 1 hour because you don't have a rope there anymore... it is a dynamic open world.

The world is alive.

It is not these flat out static open world.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
You are missing the point. DS whole gameplay system orbits around transporting materials in order to build up the network. Weight is the critical risk/reward metric and it needs to be factored in at all times, especially insofar as the amount of aid you can offer to your fellow porters (players). There's a lot of subtlety to how it works that can only really be appreciated by playing the thing.

Its not just a layer on top of the core-loop, it is intrinsic to it.
That just sounded like Xenoblade X field skills where you needed to do in order to fill the white whale networking system in the NLA for their new civilization.

Bodatan

Banned
DS world I'd dynamic because each step you do is different, is a challenge, is a puzzle... and the world dynamic changes thought the time lol.

You can wake up today and have a bridge to cross a place faster or that you didn't go... it is a dynamic open world.

Dude that's what I just posted above, dynamic encounter of enemies and terrains.

ethomaz

Banned
Dude that's what I just posted above, dynamic encounter of enemies and terrains.
It is different.

It is not about enemies only lol
It is not about terrain only lol

It is the gameplay.

Your example of open world Xenoblade is basically static without any variation in gameplay.

Play it for better or worst you will understand that there is nothing like Death Stranding so comparisons are useless.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned

You can wake up today and have a bridge to cross a place faster or that you didn't go... or the same place you took 5 minutes to cross yesterday today will take 1 hour because you don't have a rope there anymore... it is a dynamic open world.

The world is alive.

Could you please show the video that showcased this dynamic thing that exclusive only to death stranding, I'm really interested to know about it.

Bodatan

Banned
It is different.

It is not about enemies only lol
It is not about terrain only lol

It is the gameplay.

Your example of open world Xenoblade is basically static without any variation in gameplay.

Play it for better or worst you will understand that there is nothing like Death Stranding so comparisons are useless.
Gameplay? What kind of BS are trying to say here dude 😂. The whole BOTW is a big dynamic puzzle.

ethomaz

Banned
Could you please show the video that showcased this dynamic thing that exclusive only to death stranding, I'm really interested to know about it.
There is no way to see the gameplay mechanics though videos.

But I can show you bridges being build and destroyed from one to other for example but that won't help to understand how the gameplay works.

Gameplay? What kind of BS are trying to say here dude 😂. The whole BOTW is a big dynamic puzzle.
That is hilarious lol

Play the game first and after come back here to face your own mistakes and comparisons.

Nothing I say will make you understand the gameplay in the game and you will continue making wrong and bad comparisons.

There is no game like Death Stranding so comparisons are pointless. because won't help you understand it.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned

But I can show you bridges being build and destroyed from one to other for example but that won't help to understand how the gameplay works.
I don't think that's dynamic, you just described Xenoblade X field skills and skells that used to skip past the tedious way of running around.

Bodatan

Banned

That is hilarious lol

Play the game first and after come back here to face your own mistakes and comparisons.

Nothing I say will make you understand the gameplay in the game and you will continue making wrong and bad comparisons.

There is no game like Death Stranding so comparisons are pointless. because won't help you understand it.
Minecraft 🤣😂🤣😂 dynamic lmao

ethomaz

Banned
Some user's lives must be as lively as DS' world.
It is a futuristic desolated World... so that is impossible to mimic in real world.

Minecraft 🤣😂🤣😂 dynamic lmao
More like it.
Now think how the gameplay works in each step you do due the BB humor, your stamina meter, the different surfaces (like stone, flowers or wet in the middle of your path... if you change one step it is another kind of surface).
Add the package weight physics gameplay.

You will have something similar to Death Stranding.

Play it... even if you get bored wit it you won't be disappointed.

I don't think that's dynamic, you just described Xenoblade X field skills and skells that used to skip past the tedious way of running around.
They are not similar.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Here is the equivalent of building a bridge and leveling up transportation for ease of use in Xenoblade X like Death Stranding in order to traverse the world safely and faster.

13085.gif

1tHMrZI.gif

Petrae

Videos are pretty much all there are, aside from reviews and word of mouth, which are both biased. If gameplay videos cannot accurately convey gameplay mechanics in a game, then there’s no fucking way I would ever throw $60+ at the game.

It’s not enough that it’s a Kojima game, either. Blindly buying shit because of some dude’s name on a box is not something I’m ever going to do.

I’m not going to “just trust” that it’s a good game, or a game that I can get into.

Money is a finite resource, as is free time— and there are way too many options out there that can better be represented and explained without having to trust and buy them first so that those resources aren’t totally wasted.

Bodatan

Banned
It is a futuristic desolated World... só that is impossible.

More like it.
Now think how the gameplay works in each step you do due the BB humor, your stamina meter, the different surfaces (like stone, flowers or wet in the middle of your path... if you change one step it is another kind of surface).

They are not similar.
In BOTW you have Stamina meter, temp monitor, wind physics simulations and Dynamics weather system that affected the terrains and objects. In other words chemistry engine.

I've been playing Battlefield V quite a bit lately, most of the time i'm walking or either running

Does that make it a walking and running sim?

Disingenuous. IN first person shooters even if you're not shooting, you're scanning the area for potential targets, i.e you're doing something constantly. By this metric you can also call mario odyssey a walking and running sim. Both bf5 and mario have about 1000x more gameplay than poop stranded.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
It is a futuristic desolated World... so that is impossible to mimic in real world.

More like it.

They are not similar.
BOTW has a similar system where you need to micromanage your gear, stamina, temp, and etc in order to tackle a certain part of the world.
I don't consider the survival micromanagement system as a dynamic thing.
Is there anything in DS that has the same level when it comes to environment interaction like BOTW.

JIiCB3N.gif

xQupJLluqvoRy.gif
we-played-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-four-times-and-still-didnt-see-it-all-146643901907.gif

tumblr_occ7fheFmE1vy313ho1_500.gif
937ef0ce740b9cac463af767f257e43b.gif

vtnO5Wg.gif
BelovedWarmBrahmancow-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Instead to post BotW pics that everybody already know how it works.

Play Death Stranding.

You will see how your posts looks foolish lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom