• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Roni

Gold Member
Yeah exactly, if Kojima truly believes that "likes" are in any way, shape or form beneficial to society then he's a fucking imbecile. Maybe it's wishful thinking, like how social media approval could be used in an actual productive way in an alternate dimension. Maybe it's used as a sign of the times kind of thing, this is just how we live now and shit. I hope it's one of these because if he actually thinks that the real life like hunting culture is healthy then just WOW.

You should play the game and find out.

I think it's interesting, because in the game you're not getting likes for sitting on your ass. You're getting likes for actually stuff that's directly beneficial to society. The main character in the game is actually making a difference, and risking his life to do so. Compare that to reality, where someone posts a picture of a cat burping and gets a million likes.

That's much better, sounds he went the idealized route of depicting social media interaction instead of the real life nightmare it is.

You should play the game and find out.

I definitely will, just waiting for a price drop.

imsosleepy

''"this isn't a review of death stranding, this is how death stranding convinced me video games have potential beyond belief" ''

uhm... I think this review has 1 massive, massive, massive spoiler in it? Careful with it
dead mama?

I like how she talked about when u enter chapter 3, the map opens up, and kojima reveals his masterpiece. true story haha. Al though I loved chapter 1 and 2 but I can see how many people hated that beginning

but dam i watched jim sterling review before this one. Geezus, this one is already 10000 times better then his shitty clickbait video
This really is one of the best reviews out there

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
''"this isn't a review of death stranding, this is how death stranding convinced me video games have potential beyond belief" ''

uhm... I think this review has 1 massive, massive, massive spoiler in it? Careful with it
dead mama?

I like how she talked about when u enter chapter 3, the map opens up, and kojima reveals his masterpiece. true story haha. Al though I loved chapter 1 and 2 but I can see how many people hated that beginning

but dam i watched jim sterling review before this one. Geezus, this one is already 10000 times better then his shitty clickbait video
This really is one of the best reviews out there

I'm at the end of Chapter 2, so without spoiling anything.....what is it about the first 2 chapters that makes you understand why some people hate them?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The game's not been out that long, and is really time consuming to play. Unless you've been literally playing it all night, every night since it came out, there's a very good chance you wont have finished it yet.
I've clocked thirty three hours, only just finshed episode three! :/

I fooking love this game.

MiguelItUp

The game's not been out that long, and is really time consuming to play. Unless you've been literally playing it all night, every night since it came out, there's a very good chance you wont have finished it yet.
I got it on launch day and have been playing it about 1-3 hours every day for the most part. I'm only at Episode 7/8. Not to mention I'm strictly on the campaign and main objectives. I can't wait to finish it. SO CLOSE. I'll be done by next week or early next week I'm sure. Took a week off, so excited.

That being said, I still think it's amusing that there are a number of posters that have posted in this thread only sharing "negative" reviews/posts. Then the others that are essentially just DS haters that have always hated the game and/or Kojima and never cared to play the game in the first place like the posts, lmao. Give up already folks, for as many people that don't like the game, there are double, triple, if not quadruple the amount of people that do. Not sure what your end game is. 🤷‍♂️

OrangeSun77

Neo Member
Dunkey makes the best criticism, I think he is the only one who understands what the core of the game should be and unfortunately, this time Kojima was wrong, especially with those statements about "Americans have no artistic sensibility like Europeans"

MiguelItUp

I can only agree with too much skipping and menus and maybe some story rambling was a but too much at the end... but the game is a masterpiece. Is he supposed to be cynical?
Honestly I've only ever thought of Dunkey as pure entertainment. I'm not a big reviewer/journalist chaser to begin with, so I suppose I'm not a good source... 🤷‍♂️

Dunkey is something I've never taken seriously, and I go to him for lols.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

is it true story is dumped on you mainly at the start and the end of the game? If so that’s very disappointing to here, sounds like the worst part of MGS V
Eh, I don't agree with that at all. To me the experience feels a lot like an onion where more layers are peeled back as you continue on. You get more of an understanding of what exactly the Death Stranding is/was. Who the characters are, more about their backstories, etc. Nothing has felt like filler or anything pointless to me per se.

That's also kind of weird to me though, isn't that not how stories really work? The beginning and ending are usually the most fruitful portions of a story. But that doesn't mean the things that happen in-between are pointless, shallow, or filler.

1 out of 5

He is just being nitpicky.

is it true story is dumped on you mainly at the start and the end of the game? If so that’s very disappointing to here, sounds like the worst part of MGS V
No, that's a lie. The end is very exposition heavy yes. But you have bits peppered throughout the game. I think it was well paced.

Last edited:
No, that completely depends on how you play the game.

It's true that you can spend 50 hours between chapter 3 to 7 (or was it 8?)..., so you don't really get to see much story progress, but you don't have to. You are not forced to 5 star each prepper, you are not forced to build roads, or waste time with other things. You can set your own pacing and simply follow the story. If you do that then you'll find that the pacing of the story is actually not that bad.

But it does pick up quite a bit with chapter 7 (or 8).

1 out of 5

I welcome his video - in the lake of hideo worshipping on this forum some good ol' cynicism is healthy to balance things out. And yeah, I know he tends to over exaggerate problems with games and nitpick.

Reading some posters here claiming it's second coming of christ and revolutionary you can't help but chuckle a bit...
Honestly I from what I've seen (and I've seen plenty of streams and videos of DS) it just reeks of boredom to me. I feel like if this game wouldn't have kojima writen all over it it'd be a laughing stock of AAA games lol (not really but i'd be viewed way differently imo). All in all maybe someday I'll change my mind because I'm gonna borrow it one day from a friend, but still :p

stickkidsam

I can only agree with too much skipping and menus and maybe some story rambling was a but too much at the end... but the game is a masterpiece. Is he supposed to be cynical?
"Cynical" seems a bit much for disliking the game. Remember that reviewers are just people with their own tastes. Sometimes they just won't enjoy how a game is, especially with something as niche as Death Stranding's gameplay.

Honestly I've only ever thought of Dunkey as pure entertainment. I'm not a big reviewer/journalist chaser to begin with, so I suppose I'm not a good source... 🤷‍♂️

Dunkey is something I've never taken seriously, and I go to him for lols.
I'd say he has pretty well informed opinions on games and he's even put out a decent video on how people should approach game reviews. The dude has his biases like anyone else and is pretty up front about it. Enjoying him for the lols works just as well though.

SleepDoctor

Banned
No score?

Plenty of reviewers shitted on it and still gave it 8s and shit like they're scared of this overrated dude.

"Only im smart enough to know what's going on here" lol.

I knew he was going to hate it since he hates when Assassin's Creed games make him walk around.
One of my favorite Dunkey videos, haha.

"You know what isn't badass? Building these villains up forever to be the biggest, most arrogant assholes on planet Earth and then when you finally kill them, it cuts to slow-motion and you're holding them like a baby, reading them their last rites. " :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Birdo

Banned
Just like trolls have been repeatedly, incessantly, posting negative reviews and calling them "well thought out and articulate".

4723da9cc66f090c36a787844e612ce3.gif

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not giving him a view. Give me a summary.

For context, dunkey loves MGS and MGSV was in fact even his game of the year 2016. So he is not a Kojima hater or anti-open world games. But for his review he covers:

- Poor traversal mechanics in a game which is 90% traversal.
- The other 10% combat is also poor.
- Nonsensical story that even Kojima admits he doesn't understand.
- Pacing issues where much of the plot development is concentrated in the beginning and the end, with a barren middle.
- And to top it all off you got dialogue such as:

He gives it a 1 out of 5.

Do the vehicles in the game really control that janky? That looked legitimately terrible.

I have working vehicle mods in Fallout that work better than what I just watched, and they were made by one person in a game with an engine that is known for being a jank-fest.

I won't even get into the player character clipping through the terrain in almost every shot of the video.

I found this review way better.

BTW GOTY!

Doesn't she WATCH her boyfriend play games. That's literally Kojima's audience... he wants people to WATCH his games. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Also, I've NEVER seen her be critical of a game. The most I've ever heard is that some game is not for her.

All she does is help you validate your own opinions.

Last edited:

Gun Animal

This is like watching a GTAV review where all the recorded footage is of running over pedestrians and going on random shooting sprees. I know he's just trying to be funny, but there's lots of funny to be found in DS's gameplay. Like whipping your dick out and peeing on ghosts to pacify them, throwing cargo at people, the sticky gun, creative use of ladders and so on.

You know what I never tried? Peeing on non-hostile porters. There's a lot of other funny ideas that I haven't seen anyone attempt yet. Would have liked to see Dunkey actually take the time to try something interesting and not just clip on geometry and drop cargo for 30 hours. No wonder he hated it.

RealGassy

Banned
Dunkey is one of the very few reviewers that I trust.
If he thinks a game is a complete piece of shit, he'll say it and won't hold back any punches.

Last edited:
Dunkey is one of the very few reviewers that I trust.
If he thinks a game is a complete piece of shit, he'll say it and won't hold back any punches.
He likes to exaggerate problems, which make his reviews funny but rarely represent the average experience.

I've tripped over 3 or 4 times in 50 hours (that is actually being tracked by the game, so you can look it up)... why not more often? Because the average human being learns what he can and can't do... just like he is jumping around on a cliff in the mountains and then loses cargo to apparently show "how bad it is". If you do that, or if you jump down impossible slopes, then you are a moron and you shouldn't play such a game anyways as the game gives you enough tools to overcome obstacles.

If you lose shit in a river then this is entirely on you as well, since the game tells you with bright red dots that you shouldn't cross there... and if you try to cross a river with no stamina, then this is on you as well... again, the game gives you tools to overcome rivers.

His example with the bomb is also extremely stupid. The game tells you to be extremely careful and you shouldn't use vehicles (or if you do, be even more careful)... of course it blows up for him in a vehicle when he's cheesing his way through the mountains.

If you play the game, you will typically not do that... and if you feel compelled to do what he apparently did in the game, then the game is clearly not for you or you are literally too dumb to play it.

Top Bottom