• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Spoiler Thread - 'Careful, the contents are fragile'

Bryank75

Banned
I think it was about time we had a place where we can (pee) freely talk about the entire game!

Some reactions to key parts in the game'

First boss

Clifford boss fights

Reactions to Diehardman's performance

Reaction to end of Cliffs story

How was your experience?

What did you think of the game references and breaking the fourth wall?

What parts were your favorite and least favorite?

whyman

Been waiting for this!

Here are some questions I hope smarter people than me can answer!

1. Is BB aka Lou aka Louise Sams actual baby?

2. Did the EE bring back Lou from the dead, just like Sam?

3. Did the EE or Higgs plan for Sam to get the BB all along.

4. Was Amelie and the president total constructions of the EE and never actually existed. (Read as having parents etc)

Coconutt

Been waiting for this!

Here are some questions I hope smarter people than me can answer!

1. Is BB aka Lou aka Louise Sams actual baby?

2. Did the EE bring back Lou from the dead, just like Sam?

3. Did the EE or Higgs plan for Sam to get the BB all along.

4. Was Amelie and the president total constructions of the EE and never actually existed. (Read as having parents etc)

1. Your BB seems to just be a random baby, I highly doubt it's Sams baby since they mention earlier that the BB needs to connect with it's stillmother from time to time and we know Sams wife and child were caught in a voidout. The reason why Sam sees memories of Cliff when connecting with his BB is due to him being a BB in the past and when he connects to his BB, he is able to recall his past memories.

2. Can't say for sure, the BB doesn't actually react until you hold him against the gold necklace thing (forget the name)

3. I don't see this being the case, the BB was meant to be incinerated but Sam decided not to do that, don't see how they could have planned that.

4. This part confuses me, the red one is Amelie and the one in white is Bridget. The one in black could be the EE itself or it could just be Amelie decided to change her clothes :goog_unsure:

whyman

1. Your BB seems to just be a random baby, I highly doubt it's Sams baby since they mention earlier that the BB needs to connect with it's stillmother from time to time and we know Sams wife and child were caught in a voidout. The reason why Sam sees memories of Cliff when connecting with his BB is due to him being a BB in the past and when he connects to his BB, he is able to recall his past memories.

2. Can't say for sure, the BB doesn't actually react until you hold him against the gold necklace thing (forget the name)

3. I don't see this being the case, the BB was meant to be incinerated but Sam decided not to do that, don't see how they could have planned that.

4. This part confuses me, the red one is Amelie and the one in white is Bridget. The one in black could be the EE itself or it could just be Amelie decided to change her clothes :goog_unsure:

1. Ok but if 2 was the case then the stillmother might not have to be alive anymore. (Sams mom died before BB Sam was shot) Louise is maybe also a repatriate?

I don’t know but it’s nice to hear someone elses views on this!

Coconutt

1. Ok but if 2 was the case then the stillmother might not have to be alive anymore. (Sams mom died before BB Sam was shot) Louise is maybe also a repatriate?

I don’t know but it’s nice to hear someone elses views on this!

Yeah some things definitely need to be cleared up, how does the EE choose who becomes infected with Dooms and how are repatriates made? I don't remember any other repatriate being brought up. I thought Sam became one because Amelie decided to send him back to the world of the living when it was his time to go, did Amelie do the same thing with other people? Was Higgs a repatriate as well?

rofif

Banned
I loved the game. Here are some of my thoughts:
-The BB is just some random BB and Sam just names it Louise because he lost his kid
-The memories are of Sam. They show us the BB to fool us or because BB also sees Sam memories
-At the end, the extinction entity managed to stop the next big bang and stopped the passage of ghosts. So there are no more BT's and no more timefall
-Not sure why Lou came back to life - maybe Amelie helped
-Not sure why Sam is so harsh to Fragile at the end. She loves him
-Die-Hardman's face is the most realistic face and performance in gaming ever

molasar

Banned
-At the end, the extinction entity managed to stop the next big bang and stopped the passage of ghosts. So there are no more BT's and no more timefall
-Not sure why Lou came back to life - maybe Amelie helped
-Not sure why Sam is so harsh to Fragile at the end. She loves him
IMO
Amelie only stopped her Death Stranding (all life extinction) by sacrificing and isolating herself from the world of living thanks to Sam. It only gave people more time until human extinction event occurs or next EE/EEs are born.
Lou just got into autotoxemia state without being connected to Sam for a month but still physically alive. And they could not fix it.
Sam is a burnout traumatized man - he loses everyone he gets emotionally attached to in his life. That is why he keeps his distance (physically and emotionally) but it starts to slowly change by the end of the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The all surprise of sam being mads sons is forced and bullshit onestly.

Why in the fuck mads calls his son bb and not sam in every flashback? You really want me to believe that a father doesn't know his child's name or that he let bridges choose a name for his child? Lol...

That thing was so obvious...also if you have the harmonica, if i remember well, sam play the song that cliff sing even before you see that flashback, so sam already knows the song...

Onestly the plot and writing was the worst thing about the game, especially everything related to amelie and higgs.

Best parts of the plot are the moment to moment interaction scenes between the character, thanks to the incredible performance of some of them...the diehard final scene is powerfull just because the actor does a hell of a job on selling all the shitty writing from kojima, same for mads, deadman, heartman etc.

Before the purchase i was sure of enjoying at least the plot of this game even with a boring gameplay loop...it was exactly the reverse...

Last edited:

Holdfing

The all surprise of sam being mads sons is forced and bullshit onestly.

Why in the fuck mads calls his son bb and not sam in every flashback? You really want me to believe that a father doesn't know his child's name or that he let bridges choose a name for his child? Lol...

That thing was so obvious...also if you have the harmonica, if i remember well, sam play the song that cliff sing even before you see that flashback, so sam already knows the song...

Onestly the plot and writing was the worst thing about the game, especially everything related to amelie and higgs.

Best parts of the plot are the moment to moment interaction scenes between the character, thanks to the incredible performance of some of them...the diehard final scene is powerfull just because the actor does a hell of a job on selling all the shitty writing from kojima, same for mads, deadman, heartman etc.

Before the purchase i was sure of enjoying at least the plot of this game even with a boring gameplay loop...it was exactly the reverse...

I liked the story better than MGS4 and 5's. Game is kind of easy, even on hard.
Regarding the lullaby, maybe it's not an uncommon one in this world? Who knows.
Also, Die-hardman ending scene was probably the best facemocap/acting I've even seen in a videogame. The hands pushed me back into the uncanny valley (no pun inteded), but the face is top notch work.

GymWolf

I liked the story better than MGS4 and 5's. Game is kind of easy, even on hard.
Regarding the lullaby, maybe it's not an uncommon one in this world? Who knows.
Also, Die-hardman ending scene was probably the best facemocap/acting I've even seen in a videogame. The hands pushed me back into the uncanny valley (no pun inteded), but the face is top notch work.
I saw better hands on days gone or rdr2 tbh, but yeah his face is by far the better in the game and top 3 of this gen.

Story in mgs4 and 5 are trash, but mgs1-3 and maybe even 2 shit on ds plot from the higher sky...

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i bought the ps4 pro special edition in a blackfriday deal,
anyone knows if you can flip the game? that was included.

and how easy is it to transfer your saves from your old ps4 ?

Fake

When you put the same login/password in another console don't Playstation Network ask you if you want backup?

Spukc

When you put the same login/password in another console don't Playstation Network ask you if you want backup?
i have no clue dude
i have a 4tb hdd hooked to it

Last edited:

Holdfing

Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage
Then you can choose to upload to online (if you have ps plus) or to usb device, select the game and the individual save file, then copy.

Edit: if you have PS Plus, you can just press the options button on the game's icon and choose Upload/Download Saved Data

Last edited:

Spukc

Settings -> Application Saved Data Management -> Saved Data in System Storage
Then you can choose to upload to online (if you have ps plus) or to usb device, select the game and the individual save file, then copy.

Edit: if you have PS Plus, you can just press the options button on the game's icon and choose Upload/Download Saved Data
Thanks usb it is

Roni

Gold Member
Fuck, I just realized every single time we "fought" Cliff, it was just Sam wrestling with the memory of how his father died.

The battlefield scenes intermingle with the actual events. The first battlefield is wild and violent and fierce and not much can be made out: the baby is being taken by Cliff forcefully and Sam must protect it.

He then remembers the dog tags in WW2. Actually producing them in the real world... Then comes Vietnam, where they exchange more words. But even in Vietnam, Sam still can't understand what's going on. During the cutscenes, Kojima actually teases us by having that flashback already occur towards Sam's eyes...

It isn't until the very end when he can actually remember the whole thing.

The nightmares become more and more tame as the story progresses, until Sam can actually talk to Cliff and start to understand (and see!) what he has to say: that Sam is his son.

One could say Cliff's final moments reminded him so much of what he did for a living that his connection to Sam was shaped on his Beach as a battlefield. Every time Cliff caused the supercell and dragged Sam into his Beach, war and violence was all there was...

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really hope a sequel because I really really want to Heartman find his family.

If you continue doing stuff in the post-game you unlock numerous "what happened to" journal entries. So its all kinda laid out in there already.

Gotta say after 20 plus hours in post-game I'm really struck by how warm-hearted the game. It's a game where rewards are given in likes and the sound of a baby laughing, humanity is saved by a hug, not guns and violence.

Fake

It's a game where rewards are given in likes and the sound of a baby laughing, humanity is saved by a hug, not guns and violence.
Ironic, if you use a gun for kill humans you're fucking your life in the game.

Psykodad

Banned
I just want to say how amazing Chapter 14 is, especially coming from chapter 13 which must be one of the most boring sections I've ever experienced in gaming.

Running all over the place, listening to boring backstories delivered in a terrible way.
No idea what Kojima was thinking there.

And then chapter 14 where it's revealed what exactly happened with Clifford and BB and the reveal of Sam being Clifford's son, only to see em both get killed and Sam pretty much being a living ghost all this time.

Loved the ending, but the game is a rollercoaster from start to finish, with great highs and deep lows.

Definitely a memorable experience regardless.

molasar

Banned
If you kill humans and don't burn their bodies, a BT born from them. If you figh that BT and die a voidout happen, so kabum.
If you manage to kill all BTs born from dead bodies of MULEs, is this area free from BTs permanently or they are back after some time?
Or if you kill MULEs in their camp and they turn into BTs, do an elimination of the BTs make the camp inhabitated by new MULEs?
BTW I have finished the game but I have not tested this stuff, yet.

Last edited:

Fake

If you manage to kill all BTs born from dead bodies of MULEs, is this area free from BTs permanently or they are back after some time?
Or if you kill MULEs in their camp and they turn into BTs, do an elimination of the BTs make the camp inhabitated by new MULEs?
BTW I have finished the game but I have not tested this stuff, yet.
From that particular area they're gone I guess, but normal BT area have respaw if I remember right.

Wow just finished and yeeesh it was obvious amelie and bridget were the same person, and only existed in the beach, and is evil! Made most of the game's story a drag for me but the stuff about sam was a big surprise. By the end I didn't hate the story but goddamn is amelie stupid, if she just stopped pushing it with her powers none of this would have happened! If she hadn't fucking shot sam the baby! Lol

Oh and I don't think amelie was reviving every time it seemed she just severed sams connection to his own beach so he's simply unable to pass over.

I do wonder about other repatriates though, higgs made it sound like he was one?

Also who are the ppl floating inthe sky only shown a few times, were they the other BBs watching sam?

Fuz

Banned
Since this is the spoiler thread, can anyone summarize the whole story for me? I have zero intention to play it but I'm intrigued (for better or for worse) by the story.

Terenty

I liked the story overall, but does anyone else think that Cliff calling his own son BB like some kind of device is pretty fucking stupid? Who in their right mind would call their child by some term like a lab rat?

At first i thought it can't be, he must have named his child BB and it just coincided with the term, but after some consideration its obviously not the case.

Its just Kojima trying to keep the player in the dark by not using Sam's name. Some stupid bullshit if you ask me.

And another thing, why does Diehardman blame himself for the death of Cliff if he wasn't the one who pulled the trigger?

Last edited:
Has anyone found Higgs house? Very cool.

Yeah we delivered that mofo so much pizza

I liked the story overall, but does anyone else think that Cliff calling his own son BB like some kind of device is pretty fucking stupid? Who in their right mind would call their child by some term like a lab rat?

At first i thought it can't be, he must have named his child BB and it just coincided with the term, but after some consideration its obviously not the case.

Its just Kojima trying to keep the player in the dark by not using Sam's name. Some stupid bullshit if you ask me.

And another thing, why does Diehardman blame himself for the death of Cliff if he wasn't the one who pulled the trigger?

Lotta dumb shit happenin, doesn't make sense for him to call him bb the whole time. And he blames himself for convincing Cliff to try and make a run for it.

Do they ever explain why people in certain months get stronger dooms? Like if its amelie giving people dooms is she just more inclined to in the summer or...?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
whew... finally beat this late last night. it took 120+ hours and even then i still have some stuff left to do.

still a lot to take in! i'm not sure i understand it all yet. need to listen to the final Interviews and stuff. maybe play the game all over again. overall i'm really happy with it. ending took me by surprise!

yeah the five people floating, that was for the past 5 extinctions. Cliff calling his son BB... i kinda figured the guy had lost his mind after dying over and over and going through so many combat scenarios and stuff. the whole game is filled with mistaken identities and stuff so this fits fine for me.

Terenty

Cliff calling his son BB... i kinda figured the guy had lost his mind after dying over and over and going through so many combat scenarios and stuff. the whole game is filled with mistaken identities and stuff so this fits fine for me.

But he calls him BB before dying in the lab.

Another thing i didnt get is, apparently Death Stranding, chirallium and BTs were causes of previous 5 extinctions too, but Amelie said that all these phenomena are the result of her ressurecting Sam.

But he calls him BB before dying in the lab.

Another thing i didnt get is, apparently Death Stranding, chirallium and BTs were causes of previous 5 extinctions too, but Amelie said that all these phenomena are the result of her ressurecting Sam.

I think her resurrecting sam is how shs accidentally made those things happen, but the previous EE's did it on purpose

Psykodad

Banned
I think that those figures are the 5 previous extinction entities. That’s what I think.
It's speculated that those are the five Extinction Entities who caused the previous five mass extinctions.
L
Makes sense.

For some reason, after the ending, I thought those 5 figures represented Die-Hardman, Deadman, Heartman, Fragile and Heartman.
Like Sam was stuck in some kind of Limbo.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

For some reason, after the ending, I thought those 5 figures represented Die-Hardman, Deadman, Heartman, Fragile and Heartman.
Like Sam was stuck in some kind of Limbo.
I was thinking that briefly until Deadman grabbed him in the ocean. Then I immediately figured those were the 5 extinction entities.

Top Bottom