• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Voted Game of the Year 2019 by 132 Japanese Developers & Celebs on Famitsu.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today’s issue of Weekly Famitsu included the traditional survey among Japanese game developers to see what is the title they appreciated the most in 2019.

The survey is joined by a handful of gaming celebrities, for a total of 132 voters, the vast majority of whom are well-known game developers from all areas of the Japanese industry.

Here’s the full list of games they voted, combined with the survey performed by the editorial department, ranked from first to thirtieth. Do keep in mind that ofter developers are short on time, so their vote may go to games released before 2019.

1. Death Stranding
  2. Dragon Quest Walk
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  5. Ring Fit Adventure
  6. Polkemon Swird & Shield
  7. Days Gone
  8. Monster Hunter: World Iceborne
  9. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  10. Apex Legends
  11. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  12. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
  13. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
  14. Judgment
  15. Persona 5 Royal
  16. Resident Evil 2
  17. Kingdom Hearts III
  18. Astral Chain
  19. Borderlands 3
  20. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
  21. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  22. Tetris 99
  23. Archer Densetsu
  24. Fate/Grand Order
  25. Splatoon 2
  26. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  27. Samurai Shodown
  28. Detroit: Become Human
  29. moon
  30. GRIS

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
for years the japanese had the attitude that their games were superior and western games were trash. but western tech has now surpassed them by miles.
I wouldn’t call western games “trash” but I vastly prefer Japanese games because most of the time they actually make fun gameplay with proper level design. Western games have better tech but for most part they would use that tech to have more “realism” and “cinematic” experience rather than give us interesting gameplay. I mean these days it’s very rare to western game with proper level design instead just going open world.

ethomaz

Banned
for years the japanese had the attitude that their games were superior and western games were trash. but western tech has now surpassed them by miles.

I believe that was not true when he make the video and today Japanese developers até even even better than three years ago.

Last edited:

Danjin44

3d ffvii
top down ff3
Well at this point this either this just internet act or you are just that ignorant to think every 3D JRPG plays like FF7 or 2D plays like FF3. Explain to me what part game like Xenoblade, Persona 5 or DQXI plays like FF7?

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Well at this point this either this just internet act or you are just that ignorant to think every 3D JRPG plays like FF7 or 2D plays like FF3. Explain to me what part game like Xenoblade, Persona 5 or DQXI plays like FF7?

they all have a male protagonists that look like a 14yo girl, and the story is some bullshit about saving the world

Last edited:

Danjin44

they all have a male protagonists that look like a 14yo girl, and the story is some bullshit about saving the world
I guess people this blind do exist you don't even look at each game's mechanic or each game's individual story beats, basically you just don't like JRPGs and justify it by saying they all look the same.

Like I said its like talking to a wall, but whatever this was complete waste of time which is my own fault.

Last edited:

CuNi

Why are you even bothering talking with someone that said all Japanese games are remakes, in a thread about a completely 100% new IP, new genre Japanese game winning GOTY?

I was confused who everyone was talking to until I pressed "show ignored".. I should have known lol. Best practice is just just block him and move on. All he does is complain and post nonsense, ignoring arguments and to troll and derail. 🤷‍♂️

@topic
Inoreferred Sekiro and re2 to DS but seeing that list shows how much content japanese developers can churn out each year without losing much on quality while the west is known for its yearly installments :/

Danjin44

How could anyone say with a straight face that Death Stranding is better than Sekiro?

😂😂😂
I personally love, LOVE Sekiro, its my favourite FROM game right there with Bloodborne but you do know the difficulty on that game can be turn off for some people...right?

Top Bottom