• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding will be 'really fun', says Kojima – once you're halfway through

Verdanth

"When you play the game, you are driven in very slowly at the start," Kojima told Gamereactor. "It's not like Terminator or Star Wars. There is no explanation or anything. It's very easy to do it that way and I can do it, but the story progresses slowly. Especially at the beginning."

So when do things start to pick up? According to Kojima, things get "really fun when you have completed 50% of the game".

Source: here.

Kojima, are you getting anxious? Talk to us. Half way through seems too much.

Last edited:

FranXico

source.gif

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Boy, this game is just somthing..
Some parts look good but when kojima says stuff like this, the game is going to have divided opinions.

To bad I have gamepass though, just got to much to play, not much point in spashing out $60 for a game I probably won't complete in months.
Might play it on PS5 if it comes to a Sony gamepass (psnow)

Shaqazooloo

That could be a good thing honestly. If the first half is dedicated to build up for the second half it could make the latter more impactful and fun sort of like Doki Doki Literature Club. First half is boring as hell but the second part makes up for it and then some. He could pull it off, the second part has to really knock it out of the park though.

I'm trying to be positive here.

dilbag

the guy has a multi decade career of amazing console selling games. could be that.

IMO mgs4 was not very good, but even if you count that game it came out in 2008 that means the last amazing he had was release 10 years ago. MGS 3 came out in 2008, which is even longer. That being said I do hope death stranding is incredible but honestly if his name was not attached to it, the game standing on its own merits would be getting the hype it is.

I wont get into MGS5 cause so much happened behind the scenes, that its not fair to blame for him its short comings but at the same time we dont know how much of the game flaws were his fault either.

Last edited:

alienator

i friggin love this, honestly some people reacting in ways like they have no other options that to just troll because they dont have any idea how to react to this game, because its a game thats unlike any "normal" AAA game buildup ( fancy trailers with lotsa explosions and dubstep woop woop ) i love Kojima taking the piss out of this whole industry almost in this way (talking how he pissed blood once a while ago during the presentation in japan the other day when sam pee'd blood ingame)

This game is gonna be weird as f and i have still also no idea whats its about. But i love games and i will just play it anyways, just to see what his warped mind came up with, good or bad. Open your mind.

I bet a lot of people wont "get"this game and just trash it without even playing, but i really dont care for that. Am i a Kojima Fanboy? Maybe. my first game was his Penguin Adventure , u know where the ending of the game always had the princess penguin dying because u didnt go for some obscure route or bought the wrong items ingame. It was a game where u just were a penguin that jumped over logs and cracks in the ice... (analogy for the "u just walk around and do nothing' type of comments) ... Until u found out what u really had to do... and it blew my mind as a kid, so much hidden layers and depth to it..

Than he did Snatcher and metal gear which where unlike anything in that period of time.. (yeah im an MSX kid)

He does his own stuff and doesnt follow trends. he sets them. Still its incredible fun to see how ppl gang up on him like he owes them something. Just stick with your western AAA games that offer very little depth (IMHO) but have huge explosions and all kind of trendy MTX ruined gameplay if u cant handle something different than the mainstream.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Sounds like he's worried people will find it boring... His comment reminds me of some JRPGs, where fans unironically state "it gets really good 20 hours in". I don't have time for that, I'm a busy man (well not really, but there are other games I could be playing).

flacopol

I think that the game received a little backlash (fedex simulator blablabla) so maybe SONYone is "recommending" to sell a little more the game...

I don´t thing is a walking simulator imo , I want to see a new idea . But maybe is time to wait and let the game do the work

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
The fist hour of MGSV was so bad that I almost quit it.

I'm glad I didn't. But why does he do this to his games?

That could be a good thing honestly. If the first half is dedicated to build up for the second half it could make the latter more impactful and fun sort of like Doki Doki Literature Club. First half is boring as hell but the second part makes up for it and then some. He could pull it off, the second part has to really knock it out of the park though.

I'm trying to be positive here.

there's 'trying to be positive', & there's 'sounding delusional'. i'm thinking you crossed the line, here...

doki doki is a 5-6 hour game. death stranding looks to be quite a bit longer than that...

ExpandKong

Banned
i friggin love this, honestly some people reacting in ways like they have no other options that to just troll because they dont have any idea how to react to this game, because its a game thats unlike any "normal" AAA game buildup ( fancy trailers with lotsa explosions and dubstep woop woop ) i love Kojima taking the piss out of this whole industry almost in this way (talking how he pissed blood once a while ago during the presentation in japan the other day when sam pee'd blood ingame)

This game is gonna be weird as f and i have still also no idea whats its about. But i love games and i will just play it anyways, just to see what his warped mind came up with, good or bad. Open your mind.

I bet a lot of people wont "get"this game and just trash it without even playing, but i really dont care for that. Am i a Kojima Fanboy? Maybe. my first game was his Penguin Adventure , u know where the ending of the game always had the princess penguin dying because u didnt go for some obscure route or bought the wrong items ingame. It was a game where u just were a penguin that jumped over logs and cracks in the ice... (analogy for the "u just walk around and do nothing' type of comments) ... Until u found out what u really had to do... and it blew my mind as a kid, so much hidden layers and depth to it..

Than he did Snatcher and metal gear which where unlike anything in that period of time.. (yeah im an MSX kid)

He does his own stuff and doesnt follow trends. he sets them. Still its incredible fun to see how ppl gang up on him like he owes them something. Just stick with your western AAA games that offer very little depth (IMHO) but have huge explosions and all kind of trendy MTX ruined gameplay if u cant handle something different than the mainstream.

I hope you put on your kneepads before you typed up that post.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i'm guessing the infamous first-person hospital part...
if you have so little attention span you can't make it through a 45 min intro, then i don't know what to tell you. have you played a Kojima game before?

also while some people may have a problem with MGSV, it got amazing reviews, it sold a shit ton of copies, and people universally praised the gameplay.

but yes if you ignore the last two mega huge games he headed, he hasn't done anything since 2008. :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Kojima you need to stop talking already bro what are you doing dawg

I think he's obligated to talk this close to release. No way Sony is letting this game out into the wilderness with no marketing push.

The road to November 8th is going to be packed.

MDSLKTR

Which part? The cutscenes?
For me the intro was a master class opening, one of Kojimas best. Camera work, performances and graphics were absolutely pristine in the medium. But as a game it was unbearable because:
-if you followed phantom pain trailers you saw half of it already
-you don't get to play at all for an hour. You can skip cutscenes but forced walking/crawling is an extension of the cutscenes
-you have to replay the exact.same.sequence later in the game

The real game begins in Afghanistan, I'm itching to replay it on pc but only if there's a mod that allows you to skip that chapter.

if you have so little attention span you can't make it through a 45 min intro, then i don't know what to tell you. have you played a Kojima game before?

also while some people may have a problem with MGSV, it got amazing reviews, it sold a shit ton of copies, and people universally praised the gameplay.

but yes if you ignore the last two mega huge games he headed, he hasn't done anything since 2008. :messenger_dizzy:

what in the hell are you on about? i played, & enjoyed, mgsv. i've played, re-played, & enjoyed, almost all of kojima's games (including policenauts & snatcher). that said, in my opinion, & in the opinion of others, the first 45-60 minutes of mgsv was fucking awful!!! & me being a huge kojima fan doesn't change that, because what's awful's awful, imo, no matter who does it...

now go take a chill pill, son...

Last edited:

ROMhack

For me the intro was a master class opening, one of Kojimas best. Camera work, performances and graphics were absolutely pristine in the medium. But as a game it was unbearable because:
-if you followed phantom pain trailers you saw half of it already
-you don't get to play at all for an hour. You can skip cutscenes but forced walking/crawling is an extension of the cutscenes
-you have to replay the exact.same.sequence later in the game

The real game begins in Afghanistan, I'm itching to replay it on pc but only if there's a mod that allows you to skip that chapter.

Probably true. I didn't follow any of the press for MGSV and things like the opening were honestly a pleasant surprise. I didn't even know the game was open world until I played it.

Last edited:

ROMhack

what in the hell are you on about? i played, & enjoyed, mgsv. i've played, & enjoyed, almost all of kojima's games (including policenauts & snatcher). that said, in my opinion, & in the opinion of others, the first 45-60 minutes of mgsv was fucking awful!!! & me being a huge kojima fan doesn't change that, because what's awful's awful, imo, no matter who does it...

now go take a chill pill, son...

He's right though. The arguments in this thread so far about the intro have been pretty shallow and I don't agree with them.

Edit: Well, he's not factually correct. It's just an opinion.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Basically his reference point was Alien, which of course has a long suspenseful setup and is oft-cited as a movie that couldn't be made that way these days as the assumption is the audience has the attention span of gnats.

Once again, I'm of the impression that this really is Silent Hills, and its actually a horror game in disguise. Support for this comes from the darker stuff being relegated to the 2nd behind closed-doors showing at TGS, and the rumour that the giant BT shown in the 3rd trailer is always around and actively starts hunting the player in the latter stages of the game.

Idk I'd say shit started happening as soon as Newman's boss Colonel Sanders shows up in that main character's trailer.

yeah, i'm not seeing the comparison, either. 20 minutes into jurassic park, you get to see the dinosaurs. 20 minutes into mgsv, you get out of your hospital bed...

maybe ROMhack's implying that, rather than making mgsv, had kojima instead made a new dino crisis game, the opening would've worked better?...

Hostile_18

Banned
So if you have a bucket of fun and then later two buckets of fun it's completely fine because the first bucket if fun wasnt there you wouldn't of been able to set up the second bucket of fun.

One bucket of fun = groundwork
Two buckets of fun = safety rails off.

Ps buckets of fun (tm)

Top Bottom