• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding will be 'really fun', says Kojima – once you're halfway through

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lmao. poor kojima. hes feeling the heat for the first time in his career. i think he needs to trust his game and stop talking. hes not doing himself any favors.

The trailers have all been masterful. most people will buy the game based on that alone.

the few stranglers on the internet needed to see the game at TGS, thats people like me. i wasnt wholly convinced but what i saw was interesting enough. Just stop talking now. dont listen to everyone on the internet. especially the outrage squad. there will be some who will like your games, some wont.

Source: here.

Kojima, are you getting anxious? Talk to us. Half way through seems too much.

Does repeating " Hi Gaf, I'm Batman " convince you I really Am Batman?

No? Well...

Why saying a game is fun without even showing WHY it is, should convince us it really is?

Kojima is managing to get worse to me everyday lol
I was much more hyped before all the latest info, then my hype dropped badly, and reading him continuosly repeating phrases about the game being a totally new genre ( spoiler: it's not, at least for what we've seen so far) and the game not being boring, actually MAKE me think it is boring, and not a new genre at all

Last edited:
The more he talks the worse his game sounds.

what's weird is: it's turned out that the only thing worse than kojima not really saying anything about death stranding? kojima finally saying something...

i'm completely in the 'let the game speak for itself' camp. more video, less hideo...

bigol

Unless there is some really secret element to the game everything they showed looks well made, detailed but ultimately boring. And it's absolutely far from groundbreaking, or "you are not ready" level all those actors were talking about.

If the groundbreaking new feature is the asynchronous multiplayer, sorry, Kojima but Miyazaki did it in 2008.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Starting to sound like a wait until it’s on sale game.
I want a game to be good right off the bat and not have slog through the first half to be better.

Arachnid

LMAO Kojima always shoots himself in the foot with his statements and phrasing. He said shit like this for every Metal Gear too. He's not a PR man.
The game will still be fantastic and lmao @ the people here taking it as "the first 50 percent is terrible!".

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why would you make a game that is slow from the beginning? No less admit this is the case. I mean I guess I appreciate the candor, but this is not a selling point.

mortal

Gold Member
I understood him for the most part. Ideally, by the half way point players will have adapted to the gameplay loops well enough, and will be emotionally invested in the narrative. Makes sense to me 🤷‍♂️

I imagine it won't be "fun" in the most conventional sense where we hit the ground running, as we would in games with more bombastic introductions. It'll be s slow burn, and I'm all for it.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't get why people get mad at him talking about his game. The launch is less than 2 months away, this is marketing.

I'm in day 1, no matter what. I liked his previous games so much that even if I get burned I wouldn't get mad. I'd see it as funding for the next game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The first half is a cut scene!
MGSV was "trash" because not enough cutscenes, this one is "trash" because it has too many.

you really can't please everyone. least of all people that hate your games (?). luckily Kojima doesn't care. they won't be buying them, just helping fuel the online promotion of them.

he and his team was getting death threats 10+ years ago over MGS4. by now he knows he can't please everyone. please need to stfu about it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
players shouldn't need to get that far into a game before they start enjoying it – a debate that was also raised around Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
lol i played that game. you play a Roman centurion murdering enemies in a brutally violent spear fight with dozens of dudes like 5 minutes into starting a new game. that was pretty fun.
the auteur likened Death Stranding to the Alien movie, revealing that things only start to get truly enjoyable in the latter half of the game - after a long and slow intro
"oh, yeah, Alien, that movie is awful, only starts getting interesting 50% through the movie." wait, what the actual fuck? sounds like a mistranslated interview TBH. Alien is still enjoyable during the slower intro, in fact it's essential to the atmosphere. what is with this paraphrasing? what did Kojima say about "the Alien movie"? why would you even call it that? has the interview ever seen Alien?

lol like who are these ADHD meth addicts who are so hollowed out and bored they turn into stone faced shells unless you tickle their pineal gland with a giant robot exploding ever 5 minutes?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Some people say it's almost like the movie Alien, where you are gradually finding out what the whole world is about, what you can do and not do. Maybe it gets really fun when you have completed 50 percent of the game.

quote from the original interview. sounds like he is talking about tone and exploration. Alien is mostly a film about slow discovery, culminating halfway through into an action horror thriller about killing & escaping xenomorphs, leading to a stunning climax. it's like 45 minutes before you see a full alien, but it's all really cool and worth the build up. hardly seems like a bad way to structure a game.

if he means you just finish unlocking everything in the game gameplay wise halfway through, then that seems pretty normal.

Last edited:
he and his team was getting death threats 10+ years ago over MGS4. by now he knows he can't please everyone. please need to stfu about it.
Take a deep breath now please, it's very possible to think that the cut scenes in MGS 4 were too much and not have sent Kojima death threats! I just didn't play the game because
I'm not a big fan of the MGS games in general, but I also appreciate how the guy is messing with everyone's mind.

Seriously, that was a joke (but it seems it hit too close to home for some, and I am not sorry about it).

This dude is basically saying don’t buy my shit.

because every time he talks that’s what I hear.

It's like masturbating. You have to wait for the good stuff to happen.
750182.jpg

That's what I tell my wife everytime we have sex. She's as unimpressed with the argument as I am with Kojima's. I understand him now.

Kojima-dono I understand!

This dude Kojima is somethin else..adorable confidence.."it gets really fun midway through" I mean you can't script this if you tried 😂😂😂😂😂😅🤧😂😂😂🤭

Last edited:
Start game - Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, really fun, really fun, really fun, really fun, really fun - completed

Calm your tits

Last edited:
Top Bottom