• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathblow! Silicon Knights ordered to destroy all software with unreal code.

Eusis

I'm surprised by this. That's spiteful and mean. But hey, laugh it up fellas.
I imagine it's standard operating procedure for these kinds of suits: when Nintendo won against Atari Tengen over Tetris all copies were recalled and destroyed, making it extraordinarily valuable.

hatchx

Banned
I will never forget what I have learned about Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights, and the shame and arrogance they have shown.

'deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting'

Right Denis?

dani_dc

I'm against the idea of destructing the code in principle, you wouldn't see any other medium being told to destruct things such as scripts, storyboards or the original film master itself over a lawsuit.

LiK

I'm against the idea of destructing the code in principle, you wouldn't see any other medium being told to recall and the destruction of things such as scripts, storyboards or the original film master itself over a lawsuit.

Dyack is probably keeping a one copy of each in his home.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Opa, mentioned by name in OP. My mistake.

Well.. this is fucked.. here's how you kill a game studio.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, don't sue them if you're not a reasonably large publisher/developer, or at least don't try if you don't have a great legal team.

Or don't try when you have a lacklustre case and believe you'll win purely base on your grossly inflated sense of self-worth.

Eusis

Or don't try when you have a lacklustre case and believe you'll win purely base on your grossly inflated sense of self-worth.

or if you made software with their stolen code, modified or not.
Yeah, something that can be proven objectively really isn't the kind of thing you want to fight over, and it hurts more when you're being grossly confident.

Jawmuncher

If activision wanted to for the case of Xmen couldn't they just say they'll pay the licensing fee for UE3 and that game? Same with MS and Too Human?

Im sure it would go licensing fee, plus extra for the sales the game acumulated or something.
(Don't know legal so im just guessing here)

vazel

Banned
If activision wanted to for the case of Xmen couldn't they just say they'll pay the licensing fee for UE3 and that game? Same with MS and Too Human?

Im sure it would go licensing fee, plus extra for the sales the game acumulated or something.
(Don't know legal so im just guessing here)
It's a 1+ year old game. There's not much more money they can make from the game. So why save it.

Xenon

I have no idea what happened, first time hearing about it.
Somebody mind explaining?

SK sued Epic for licensing the and unfinished buggy engine, Unreal 3, and using the money to fund the development of Gears of War instead of supporting the engine's licensees. I feel it was pretty much true, just not illegal. Epic counter sued because SK used a modified version of the U3 engine to make their games.

The result is the dry reeming listed in the OP.

Kazerei

Banned
I've never even heard of The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, and Siren in the Maelstrom.

And I shall never hear of them again.

Top Bottom