• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathblow! Silicon Knights ordered to destroy all software with unreal code.

Eusis

I was so hyped for Too Human prior to the 360 launching. It (and Mass Effect) were planned trilogies at the time. I *knew* I would love Too Human. At it's initial E3, I defended SK as they were "forced" to bring an unfinished demo, but then it just didn't click.
Yeah, it sounds like it'd be really interesting. Hell, maybe the story really would have been amazing or at least interesting, but that'll never be finished and a lot of it is their own fault. Or Dyack's anyway.

Elginer

Really enjoyed Too Human, even with it's problems. Man, me and a buddy put like 70 hours into that game in co-op. I loved SK back in the day and Blood Omen is still my fav Legacy of Kain title. Such a damn shame it came to this. Too Human has so much potential. I wish MS would buy the damn IP and give it to one of their internal studios or even another smaller studio that could do wonders with it. The Too Human sndtrk is still fucking tits to this day.

Stat!

Yeah, it sounds like it'd be really interesting. Hell, maybe the story really would have been amazing or at least interesting, but that'll never be finished and a lot of it is their own fault. Or Dyack's anyway.

It's a shame really cause it had a lot of interesting ideas. A loot based game, with innovative stick controls (at the time, stick controls were coming into this big idea from sports games to fighters), with a Norse/Sci-fi mythos, RPG mechanics, full co-op? What could go wrong? It's a shame, it needed more polishing, and for being a hardcore game that would rely on initial word of mouth from hardcore gamers, less developer talk back.

RaffAO

Why would anyone rush to buy this game based on this news? It's already been out of print for FOUR YEARS and only SK is required to destroy its copies (of which it probably has 4).

Eusis

Why would anyone rush to buy this game based on this news? It's already been out of print for FOUR YEARS and only SK is required to destroy its copies (of which it probably has 4).
It's been ordered to buy back unsold copies. And we can get it for like $6 from Gamestop, worth it for a curio. Or you can just get it for $3 used, I did that while running off with the (too beat up to pass for) new case.

Cheerilee

man the main programmer or the core programming team really screwed SK over big time. Plagiarizing code...wtf were they thinking?
Dyack ran everything. It all falls on him.

Dyack had to have been the one in charge of the decision to work with Epic and UE3.

When the work was too slow/not good enough, Dyack had to have been the one who gave the programmers permission to stop working on game content, and start rewriting UE3 in the hopes that it would make their output faster/better (although maybe someone suggested it).

Dyack had to have been the one who decided that their modified UE3 wasn't really UE3 anymore, and that they no longer needed Epic. He's also the one who decided to sue Epic, which might have provoked Epic's countersuit.

SK (and probably Microsoft/Activision, through their publishing agreements) were ordered to recall all unsold product. And since some stores are already refusing to sell people the stock they have on shelves, "sold" means sold to the customer, not sold to the store shelves.

Retail is probably going to try and make Microsoft/Activision buy the unsold copies back for the price retail originally paid.

Vamphuntr

Karma is a bitch, eh?

Overall it's more sad than funny. That guy's ego lead to many people losing their jobs and now their work is going to be destroyed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It sounds like SIlicon Knights is a real dumpster fire but I guess its really just one small office trash can.

.la1n

Let someone else develop Eternal Darkness 2, SK would have never been able to make a game to live up to the original, the staff isn't there.

I remember playing a friends copy @ launch and really enjoyed Too Human. I never beat it though. This thread actually reminded me about this game. Went ahead and ordered a copy.

It probably won't be rare or crazy expensive on eBay but I figured I'd snag a sealed copy before they are all destroyed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Let someone else develop Eternal Darkness 2, SK would have never been able to make a game to live up to the original, the staff isn't there.

I want Retro to do it. They're one of the few studios clever enough to really pull off some sweet sanity effects and you could do some amazing stuff with the Wii U controller.

when the mayans said humanity would be killed on Dec 21st, they surely meant "Too Humanity"

huah huah.

Jesus that's so bad.

Large Kotaku article.

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

TL:DR: SK is dead, and had less than five people left (including Dyack) before they were ordered to shred their games.

And the fan-favorite game was Eternal Darkness 2. Nintendo owns the rights, but SK was stealing development resources away from Xmen Destiny to make it anyways (if you build it, they will come), until Activision forced them get back to working on what they were getting paid to work on.

Ontario didn't give them money. They promised they would, but then they said the SK didn't meet the requirements, so they didn't.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/31/sil...-canadian-government-withholding-grant-money/

I guess it has finally caught up with SK, Dyack can't expect to milk their Legacy of Kain reputation forever while overselling their ideas, then end up pushing out mediocre games like Too Human and XMD.

Xisiqomelir

Hi gang, haven't posted in gaming in forever, but I have to say I'm happy for the legal framework which exists to protect against frivolous lawsuits.

Well done Judge Dever.

More like Judge "NEVER" amirite?

Top Bottom