• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop blocks the PS5 DualSense controller triggers when your weapon jams (Innovative feature of the PS5 DualSense)

As cool as this may appear I can see this becoming a huge issue with usage over the course of the generation. For it to block your input that means there is a mechanical servo in the controller. What do we know about mechanical servo's? They wear out, and each time the input locks up and you apply force to it it's going to put stress on that servo. Stress will lead to a physical mechanical break or simply wear out the servo and motor which operates it.

This is Joycon drift 2.0 in the making.

You know that kid that thought it was a neat idea to lick a frozen metal pipe in school? How he'd look cool doing it and nothing could go wrong with it? You ever wonder if someone told him, "hey that is fucking retarted" rather than all the other kids cheering him on like mongoloids? Before you say anything how about you think why people believe the idea is

Maybe, people are just extremely optimistic and I'm wrong here though. Yeah! Maybe people will love getting their weapons to jam like irl which is something that people that shoot all day love. Yeah, yeah! They shoot all day just so that on the off chance the weapon jams, THAT makes your day. Now imagine it, jamming 50 times in one sitting? But with a plastic controller with not so durable triggers. Ebin, simply ebin.

tide-laundry-detergents-003700000935-64_1000.jpg

This is truly the best generation YET!

Oooor we could just wait until we've actually tried it to see if it's innovative and fun, or if it's a stupid and pointless gimmick. Or something in between, or a feature that can be toggled.

Must be fun being so negative all the time and just assume the worst!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
What about if I want to remap the buttons?

For example I don't use R2 to run in FIFA, and I'm pretty sure that they'll come with an ass feature that the harder you press R2 the faster and stronger you will run.

This is innovative but restrictive in some situations.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I wonder if it would work on PC also with a DS controller. Then again, still not as good as M&KB so perhaps it doesn't matter.

longdi

Banned
As cool as this may appear I can see this becoming a huge issue with usage over the course of the generation. For it to block your input that means there is a mechanical servo in the controller. What do we know about mechanical servo's? They wear out, and each time the input locks up and you apply force to it it's going to put stress on that servo. Stress will lead to a physical mechanical break or simply wear out the servo and motor which operates it.

This is Joycon drift 2.0 in the making.

Yap!
Also dont forget DS needs to be built cheap, so i doubt Sony puts in the highest quality servo parts.
This is just another gimmick to be dropped later, i betcha.

bitbydeath

You know that kid that thought it was a neat idea to lick a frozen metal pipe in school? How he'd look cool doing it and nothing could go wrong with it? You ever wonder if someone told him, "hey that is fucking retarted" rather than all the other kids cheering him on like mongoloids? Before you say anything how about you think why people believe the idea is

That kid probably grew up to be Jeff Bezos. Risks are required if you want to succeed in life, not all risks work out though.

longdi

Banned
How many PS4 games use the touchpad of DS4?

At least i think that is a useful feature since it adds more input controls.

And at worst, we get wear and tear on the surface, no need for replacement buys.

Tulipanzo

This actually sounds rather neat. Not sure on the adaptive force, where they get harder as you pull, but just stopping motion seems like it'd have much more of a purpose, as the dev highlights.

Personally really curious to see haptic feedback in action, apparently it's really good in 1,2 Switch.

TBiddy

I honestly don't understand why people are downplaying (or are acting 'concerned' about) this. This will turn out to be either a ridiculous gimmick that most people disable rather fast or an innovative feature that will increase the immersion in games - especially VR. Either way, I don't think it's something to fight about.

Zoro7

Banned
The responses here are proof that companies just shouldn't try and add something new to controllers.
People write it off as a gimmick before they even try it.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I see this as a way to push innovation further and I am perfectly ok with that. It doesn’t sound like something I would be into necessarily, but I can’t understand why someone would be angry about it.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I wonder if all those brand new features will have a noticeable negative effect on durability.
Mechanic components are not eternal.

GenericUser

I look forward to this feature. Unlike the touchpad, which basically offered nothing new, the haptic feedback could be really cool thing to have. I guess devs will utilize it a lot more then the touchpad, which quickly devolved into a glorified select-button.

I really like the idea of this, although I doubt very many games will actually use it.

So mamy dumb idiots are going to end up breaking their controllers though.

Hudo

That's interesting and nice to see some new stuff that isn't "muh graphix!". But I also remember how devs praised the touchfield on the back of the Vita and barely anyone really used it. I only remember Tearaway using it for cool things.

Mr.ODST

Get ready for broken controllers, issue is with people not being used to it and thinking their trigger is stuck to then heavily jamming on it

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Genius way to sell more controllers, broken triggers is the new thumbstick rubber wearing off :lollipop_squinting:

This is some big brain max IQ play from Sony.
They are geniuses.....sell the controller for more than anyone should be willing to pay for a standard controller.

Makes sure "they" break it.
Cant complain or return it, because they broke it.
They have to buy another one.
????
Profit

I bet you the PS5 and PS5DE will be pocket change.....everyone who buys one will have 10 controllers by the end of Year 1 and Sony will be back in the Green.

GHG

Gold Member
Imagine having so little to be excited about that all that's left to do is downplay anything that's potentially new and interesting on the horizon.

Yes lads, Sony will cancel all the new features in the controller just so that your feelings don't get hurt and we can have parity all round.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
When you get a trophy a little robot hand should pop out of the controller and jerk you off

longdi

Banned
yeah like everything from that shit tier current gamepad. i have 4 defect ds4's

You bring up a nice point.
Unlike something like ipad pro or note 20, consoles have the limitations to be cheap.
So corners have to be cut to bring down the price points.

You cant win them all, something has to give with more side features thrown in. Thats why i kinda appreciate what MS did with Series X, simply concentrating on a functional boring gaming console.

Dodkrake

Banned
yeah like everything from that shit tier current gamepad. i have 4 defect ds4's

Maybe your concerns for breaking triggers + 4 broken DS4's show that the problem is you, not the controllers.

If we are going with Ad-Hoc experiences, my 2 DS4's are perfectly functional after 4y and thousands of hours of gametime.

yurqqa

There should be a thread on ResetEra about discrimination of strong people by Sony.

These toxic wussies with weak hands are majority that just ignore the issue strong people have with the gamepads !

Stupud bigots !

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
What about if I want to remap the buttons?

For example I don't use R2 to run in FIFA, and I'm pretty sure that they'll come with an ass feature that the harder you press R2 the faster and stronger you will run.

This is innovative but restrictive in some situations.

They already have that ass feature, it's called analog sprint and you should have it turned off, hopefully.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You bring up a nice point.
Unlike something like ipad pro or note 20, consoles have the limitations to be cheap.
So corners have to be cut to bring down the price points.

You cant win them all, something has to give with more side features thrown in. Thats why i kinda appreciate what MS did with Series X, simply concentrating on a functional boring gaming console.
Yeah not buying that it's cheaper stuff. I returned 3 DOA xbox elite pro v2 controllers.
that's a 180 euro controller. QC means nothing these days.

Maybe your concerns for breaking triggers + 4 broken DS4's show that the problem is you, not the controllers.
Oh do fuck off. Non of my older console's gamepads are broken. Just do a quick google on malfunctioning charging ports or sheit battery life on ds4's. Both my day 1 dualshock 4's had peeling rubber sticks. This was a known issue. Keep that fancrap to yourself.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wonder if it’s a stop like Xbox elite controller or just the motor? If it’s just a motor I doubt it will be strong enough to stop anything but a child from pulling the trigger.

Hope they tested this stuff seems like a lot of points of failure.

or maybe it’s just HD rumble 2.0 and like nintendo Sony will forget about it in a year.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
What if you map the use of the weapon to R1 instead of R2? F*ck the system.

I can see an online multiplayer shooter when one of the abilities/perks of a character is to jam the trigger of the opponent in sight xD
For the tears alone I already love this.

Data Ghost

In 2 years time when you are sitting there playing your PS5 and getting the standard vibration feedback you have known for years, remember these comments. The functionality will be mostly forgotten about.

Also, lots of broken controllers initially as people use all their strength to squeeze past the resistance the controller is putting out and snapping the trigger or burning out a component inside.

In all seriousness though, I like the sound of all the DualSense features and I think it will be a joy to use. I also like the idea of having a mic built in so I can speak freely during a game rather than wearing a headset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom