• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

tommib

8qrkocx.png

You wake up on a beach, no memory of how you got there or even who you are.

A mysterious message floats before you, urging you to “break the timeloop.” You’re trapped on an island full of people who are trying to kill you. You die, then wake up back on that same beach. Day ends. Beach. Die. Beach. It’s enough to make you sick of beaches. Sick enough to start listening to those floating messages and do something about this timeloop. That’s Colt’s journey in DEATHLOOP. Break the cycle by killing the people responsible for keeping it going, and maybe find a way off the island of Blackreef.
Are you prepared to venture down the rabbit hole? DEATHLOOP launches exclusively on consoles for PlayStation 5 on September 14, and will launch on PC at the same time. Get all the launch details – including PC specs, pre-load info and unlock times – here.

v2tFt7P.png
VEhi8IN.png
NRcncza.png
N52zuQu.png

lI9vsuH.png

88: Top Critic Average
94%: Critics Recommend

Information about multiplayer and invasions here.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
You could probably add in the OpenCritic scoring/rating, but otherwise nice! I'll be picking my copy up tomorrow after work and have a few friends that are getting it so we can invade each other.

Last edited:
I'll definitely be trying it on Xbox. I don't really like FPS games, so I'm not the target market anyway - but it'll be nice to give this a chance.

I think I'll probably try Prey or Dishonored soon. Haven't touched any of these.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Who is going to play with the controller features on? I'll play with both haptics and adaptive triggers as I really like them when implemented well.

I'll also be playing in the performance mode. I need that 60 fps when available.

FunkMiller

Gonna pick this up now. Enough decent reviews, and I love me a good multiplayer invasion (which I had no idea you could do).

Was going to wait on the inevitable GamePass PC release down the line, but everything I’m seeing is convincing me to jump in now on Ps5. Even the price isn’t too egregious.

tommib

Who is going to play with the controller features on? I'll play with both haptics and adaptive triggers as I really like them when implemented well.

I'll also be playing in the performance mode. I need that 60 fps when available.
Yeah, I'm going for performance mode. Raytracing has constantly underwhelmed me. I did the same with Resident Evil 8. Rock solid frame rate everyday.

Can't wait to feel the haptics and adaptive triggers. If they're on the level of Returnal, we're in for a treat.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I love me a good multiplayer invasion (which I had no idea you could do).
Yep, you can set it to AI invasions, randoms, or friends only.

I'll be setting it to friends only when they are wanting to play, otherwise I'll always keep it set to online as it's more fun. I might try the AI a few times just to get a comparison. The ability to "disguise" yourself as an NPC as the invader is going to be great.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Apparently most of the Dualsense features are supported when using the controller on PC. Good for those who are going that route.

I should have seen this sooner. I only got on ps5 because of DualSense. Its cheaper on PC. Oh well

DonJorginho

Banned
Contemplating whether to get a case of imaginary diarrhea so I don't have to go into work tomorrow 🤔

SO fucking pumped to play this game, Arkane are one of my all-time favourite developers and they've never missed the mark for me.

Hope everyone has a great time sinking their teeth into this gem and I apologize for all the loops of yours I am about to invade and end 😉

SLB1904

Banned
Contemplating whether to get a case of imaginary diarrhea so I don't have to go into work tomorrow 🤔

SO fucking pumped to play this game, Arkane are one of my all-time favourite developers and they've never missed the mark for me.

Hope everyone has a great time sinking their teeth into this gem and I apologize for all the loops of yours I am about to invade and end 😉
I'm off work tomorrow. Perfect timing. And next week death stranding directors cut. Already booked holiday for it.

MaKTaiL

I've been playing an early copy and I think this might be one of my personal GOTYs. I love Hitman so the narrative structure and the numerous kill opportunities are just pure fun. The way you uncover new hints and how they actively affect your next cycle has been beautifully crafted, it just flows. Can't wait to find out more about the story and where this is going.

Last edited:

ebevan91

And we got Kena next week too and then Far Cry 6 to open October.

And if you're a stinky casual like me, FIFA 22 for your Football fix! a great time for gaming

After having nothing to play on my PS5 I now have so much that I can't even fit it all in. Not only PS5 games but I also have AoE4, Halo Infinite, Pokemon DP remakes, SMTV, and Metroid Dread coming too.

arvfab

Banned
Apparently most of the Dualsense features are supported when using the controller on PC. Good for those who are going that route.

Good to know. Still not sold on the game, even though I love the Dishonored games. Might get it on a Steam sale or if it's going to PS+/Epic Free Games.

ClosBSAS

To unluck early via VPN: Been playing for a few hours.

1; Steam only) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change (not to be confused with reset) your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Asia, Australia, or New Zealand (some trial/free services may not offer servers in these regions)
4) Restart Bethnet/Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6; optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
To unluck early via VPN: Been playing for a few hours.

1; Steam only) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change (not to be confused with reset) your password via the the desktop client
2) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Asia, Australia, or New Zealand (some trial/free services may not offer servers in these regions)
4) Restart Bethnet/Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6; optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)
By the time you done with that the game will unlock normally:p

M.W.

Hmm, some people are 20 hours in and barely done anything, others say they beat it already and it took them 6-7 hours. Wonder where I'll end up.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

GHG

Gold Member
Played a couple of hours, having a blast so far.

Just escaped the 2nd main area and not shot a single gun so far, machete ghost for life. Seems to be very much true to the standard we've come to expect from Arkane in terms of level design and stealth gameplay - plenty of verticality and multiple routes into each area/building.

I'm coming across several items that are flashing a purple metallic colour but I can't seem to interact with them? Anyone got any ideas or is it something I'm yet to unlock?

Last edited:

elliot5

Played a couple of hours, having a blast so far.

Just escaped the 2nd main area and not shot a single gun so far, machete ghost for life. Seems to be very much true to the standard we've come to expect from Arkane in terms of level design - plenty of verticality and multiple routes into each area/building.

I'm coming across several items that are flashing a purple metallic colour but I can't seem to interact with them? Anyone got any ideas or is it something I'm yet to unlock?
yet to unlock.

Reactions: GHG

bender

What time is it?

I forgot what it is called but it collecting this stuff allows you to keep skills/weapons across multiple runs. I think Karak Karak mentioned in his review that it isn't unlocked until you progress in the game a bit.

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks guys, will probably prioritise pressing on with the missions instead of exploring too much until I get whatever that is unlocked then.

envyzeal

all the reviews made it go from an easy pass to a maybe i'll try when its really cheap or free - just to mention i'm not an FPS guy, never played dishonored or prey and no hard feelings on bethesda, chill

GHG

Gold Member
all the reviews made it go from an easy pass to a maybe i'll try when its really cheap or free - just to mention i'm not an FPS guy, never played dishonored or prey and no hard feelings on bethesda, chill

By definition Arkanes games aren't FPS's, they shouldn't be seen as such and I'd imagine that people who play them as if they are pure FPS games will have a bad time. For done reason they like to market them as if they are which is really silly IMO but I guess they are going for something relatable for most people there.

At the very least you should play Prey.

You want a cookie? You can wait a year after release on most non-Nintendo games and get them for next to nothing.

These guys are clowns, ignore them. The game isn't even $70 anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom