• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop thoughts?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just picked the game up on sale for $25 on Amazon a few days ago. I have only played it a few hours and still really don't know what to think of it. It's like a sci-fi version of groundhogs day. Graphics kinda remind me of a supped up version of borderlands. It's critically acclaimed but rarely gets talked about.

Game play is tight and it's a unique idea. It also does not do anything special or unique from the game play perspective.

Solid game and worth a play. Though I found the enemy AI to be lacking. Also, I wish the challenge would ramp up as you got more powerful. By the end of the game, it's very easy to get by with stealth or mowing everyone down.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there is
only one real path you have to follow to get all the targets lined up for the perfect day. Would've been cool if there was a bit more variation with this

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Excellent game with a great visual style and gameplay so long as you aren't coming into it expecting Dishonored/Prey levels of immersive gameplay. It is a puzzle game where you are teasing apart the puzzle and eventually figuring out "the one true path. . ."

. . .the multiplayer stuff though was hit or miss (mostly miss for me and I didn't enjoy it).

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good game, bad time loop game. Especially in a year where The Forgotten City came out. At least it wasn't as bad at 12 Minutes.

• Thoughtful

Josemayuste

A really underrated game, GOTY contender.

Awesome level design, depth, customization, gameplay loop, fresh mechanics and superb artistic direction, inmersive sim at its finest.

A must have for inmersive sim fans (as PREY 2017 is.)

TexMex

I enjoyed it. No idea how it got 10/10s, but it's definitely a good game, if not forgettable.

Same. I was shocked when I woke up and every review was 10/10. I picked it up and it was…fine? Probably one of the most confusing critical receptions I can remember. The $25 you paid is about what it’s worth.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Arkane has become one of my favorite developers in the past few years. I had played through Dishonored 1 & 2 and Prey when they first released, and approached them basically like Bioshock games, aka mostly straighforward shooters with magic powers. It wasn't until I replayed them and started experimenting with the powers, stealth vs aggressive styles, finding new ways to approach problems and really getting into the worldbuilding, story, and lore that they became something very special to me. Arkane are among the best, if not THE best, at what they do in the biz, in my opinion.

With that being said, I thought Deathloop was not on the same level as the Dishonored games and Prey, but, then again, not many (any?) games really are. It went for a streamlined, arcadey version of Arkane's strengths, and for that, I had a really good time with it. One thing I really appreciated about Deathloop was that it took away the ability to Quicksave/Quickload. I 100% understand that this is entirely my doing, but I tend to fall into chronic, compulsive Quicksaving/Quickloading when it's an option. As a tradeoff, Arkane made Deathloop MUCH easier--enemies go down like softies and are pretty dumb, which was fine by me. Not having QS/QL forced me to roll with my mistakes and come up with solutions on the spot instead of resetting. For that, I had a lot of fun actually playing it. I just don't think it gives back what you put into it like Prey/Dishonored do, where exploration, investing in the world, and experimentation are deftly rewarded. The story was light and fun. Good game, but it's not going to be in my list of all-timers like Prey/Dishonored are.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Prey: Mooncrash is infinitely better. I don't understand the praise Deathloop is getting. The game is on rails. There's only one way to complete it. Mooncrash is smarter.
How would you compare Mooncrash against Dishonored and/or Prey? I want to play it, but I hardly ever see it going on sale.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Deathloop is a good game. Was a bit short for my liking, but the story is cool, the main characters and their back and forth is entertaining. I like the gunplay as well (Played on PC, so Mouse and Keyboard). The guns themselves could have used a bit more variety IMO, though.

Soundtrack is awesome, sound design in general is good as well. PVP was janky at launch, but they've since cleaned that up. AI was dumb at the beginning, but they've since brought that up a bit too. Definitely worth a buy, though I don't see myself downloading and finishing it again anytime soon. Replayability comes in the form of PVP invasion a la Dark Souls.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just picked the game up on sale for $25 on Amazon a few days ago. I have only played it a few hours and still really don't know what to think of it. It's like a sci-fi version of groundhogs day. Graphics kinda remind me of a supped up version of borderlands. It's critically acclaimed but rarely gets talked about.

Game play is tight and it's a unique idea. It also does not do anything special or unique from the game play perspective.
What I think happened with the critical reception was an overcorrection/patronization of Arkane. When Prey came out to somewhat middling reception, only to be widely recognized in the years to come as one of the GOAT immersive sims, I think critics wanted to correct their "miss". I saw the 10/10s as a kind of "vote" for more immersive sims in the industry and market by inflating review scores. That's how I read it, anyway.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How would you compare Mooncrash against Dishonored and/or Prey? I want to play it, but I hardly ever see it going on sale.

Prey is possibly my favourite game ever so it's hard to be objective. Mooncrash is the same outstanding level design and immersive sim goodness but with roguelike time-loop twist.

I enjoyed it less compared to the main game simply because I like to take things slow and explore but in Mooncrash you have a corruption timer so you need to move fast. If you on PC, you can disable it with mods.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Prey is possibly my favourite game ever so it's hard to be objective. Mooncrash is the same outstanding level design and immersive sim goodness but with roguelike time-loop twist.

I enjoyed it less compared to the main game simply because I like to take things slow and explore but in Mooncrash you have a corruption timer so you need to move fast. If you on PC, you can disable it with mods.
I just went through and replayed the entire Dishonored series and still am looking for more. I might have to pick Mooncrash up and give it a go.

Valt7786

Its great but I was really disappointed to learn the "correct" route for taking out the targets was the only route in the end.

Certinty

Loved it and I was never a huge fan of the Dishonored games.

Story was meh but the actual gameplay and loop of doing the same things over and learning maps was actually surprisingly fun.

Any longer and I think the repetitive nature would have become a chore but it lasts long enough where it stays fresh and fun.

Arcadialane

Pretty underwhelming. Felt like mostly dishonoured with rouge like. All the fake pre-release hype was awful, not surprising its mostly already been forgotten, which goes to show just how fake the 'best game ever 10/10 narrative are there just to get you to buy then forgotten and on to the next

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Its great but I was really disappointed to learn the "correct" route for taking out the targets was the only route in the end.

Yeah, this. It's not even like the player needs to figure it out. It's all telegraphed to you in a magic board in a menu that populates itself with answers.

That's why Mooncrash is better.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it. The banter between the main characters was great, the abilities were fun, and many of the hidden stuff was actually fun to solve.

Also, the invasion mechanic was super fun, especially with a friend. Has me looking forward to the invasion mechanic in Sniper Elite 5.

I consider a waste for a day-one buy. Type of game that belongs on PS+/gamepass.

10 are extremely misleading. Game is extremely easy because of the stupidest AI I ever played against. Idk why everyone calls a puzzle game. The game solved it self. I platinum’d the game cause it was short and easy. The voice acting is good, but they sorta made Juliana a bit annoying for no reason.

Im happy I didnt preorder Ghostwire or whatever its called. I will now beware of “horrible AI” games.

Otre

Banned
Its a good game but it gets tedious with the repetitiveness and dumbass AI. The shooting is bad but the movement and stealth are great. Once you figure out the 2 OP powers you can just sleep through the game, never using the rest of the arsenal. The games spoils how to kill the visionaries, treating you like a dumb child in the end. I had fun, but dont believe those 10's.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I think Dishonored has some problems with intrusive lore and notes and the combat is all over the place, based on which ability you use. I also thought some of the later levels aren't that great. It also has, like Prey and Deathloop, A.I. that doesn't hold up. The story also falls apart after the first game. The intro to Dishonored 2 is absolutely ridiculous.

Prey had some weak last few hours, the game suffers too much when the military comes.

I didn't have any problems like that with Deathloop, brilliant maps, and better combat than their previous games. The opening is too tutorial-heavy, the story doesn't deliver, the humor sucks and the A.I. is bad, but it plays well and got top-tier player direction.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A good game with a solid idea, but one that would have been many times better if the game gave you multiple endings and multiple ways to end the loop.

The banter between Julianna and the main character was hilarious at times. Annoying at others.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
An overly simplistic and incredibly limited game with subpar level design, forgettable narrative, and repetitive gameplay. If you want a game that is similar and is actually *good*, go play Dishonored.

Daytonabot

Banned
I saw the AI was pretty retarded so I probably won't be playing it.
Though I found the enemy AI to be lacking.
There was a major patch that really beefed up the AI. Unfortunately, it came after I was pretty much done with the game. Even without this, this was in my top two games of 2021, alongside Village. No, it wasn't as good as Dishonored or Prey, but neither was anything else released last year.

Filben

Starts very strong and is probably the most accessible immersive sim, for those who have troubles getting into these kind of games.

However, some time into the game you start to just going to places and follow the markers and it gets kind of repetitive. Although that's partly the point of the game, the gameplay keeps roughly the same once you passed the "tutorial" part of the game. And you end up going the same places and killing the same guys like five loops before.

Still like it very much, though. Prey is IMO a completely different game and more role playing game so each games may tick someone else's boxes.

SJRB

Gold Member
Top 3 biggest disappointments ever.

Has the pretense of a galaxy-brain IQ game yet its mechanics, story, gameplay, AI, """puzzles""" are completely subpar. A profoundly mediocre game that tarnishes Arkane's otherwise pristine legacy.

The artstyle, voice acting and music is top notch, but these can't bloom the extremely poor and boring experience. A spectacular looking failure.

Borowski_1

It's the best example of how a game isn't the sum of its parts

Every isolated component is great, but the game doesn't come together as a whole, imo

And that ending....

It is an alright game that got WAY too hyped last year for some reason. Definitely the worst Arkane game of the last decade, worse than Prey and the Dishonored games. Somehow it got perfect scores, but they are in no way warranted.

scydrex

Good game. I give it an 8 out of 10. Had my fun an kept me interested but at one point it started to get boring. Ending is weak. I brought it for $23 in Amazon. No way is a 9 or 10 game.

Top Bottom