• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop Tops 5 Million Players

Draugoth

Gold Member
Publisher Bethesda Softworks and developer Arkane Studios Lyon announced Deathloop has topped five million players.

"5 Million Players!" reads a tweet from the official Deathloop Twitter account. "Thank you for joining us on this adventure to Blackreef. We hope you enjoyed your stay."

Deathloop first released for the PlayStation 5 and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store in September 2021, followed by the Xbox Series X|S, PC via the Microsoft, and Xbox Game Pass in September 2022.

FpqPIH9XgAES9p2

5 million is surprisingly low after retail sales + extremely heavy marketing by PlayStation + PS Plus + Game Pass.

I thought the game would have north of 20 million players by now, at least.
That's funny. After playing it, I feel just the opposite. I would've thought it had LESS than 5 million players/owners/"whatever the fuck mysterious metric they're using". It was Arkane's worst game, by a long shot.

5 million is surprisingly low after retail sales + extremely heavy marketing by PlayStation + PS Plus + Game Pass.

I thought the game would have north of 20 million players by now, at least.

20m? Naw but at least 8-10m

5 million units would have been a commendable victory for a two year old heavily marketed game but player count is honestly nothing special. Maybe it will make Redfall look better when they announce they have 5 million players for the week

Last edited:

Fbh

That doesn't sound too impressive given that it's on Ps+ AND gamepass AND frequently on sale for really cheap.

Personally I didn't finish it. Had fun with it for a few hours but once I had a decent arsenal (which didn't take long) I quickly grew tired of the gameplay loop

Gaiff

Gold Member
That doesn't sound too impressive given that it's on Ps+ AND gamepass AND frequently on sale for really cheap.

Personally I didn't finish it. Had fun with it for a few hours but once I had a decent arsenal (which didn't take long) I quickly grew tired of the gameplay loop
So for you, the loop was the *puts on sunglasses* death of the game?

Dthomp

It was also a part of a Humble Bundle.
Between this, Gamepass and PSN+, Bethesda was almost giving it away.

These are the reasons numbers don't really matter and we need to stop getting all riled up. The game was discounted by 50% within months of its release at Black Friday, then free to all PS+ Members (which I imagine is a large number) and then added to GP (Also a ton of people who just want to try stuff) and Humble, then by the second year it was selling to own for around 15 bucks. I'd be embarrassed that only 5 million people played this, it was an average at best game that grew stale quickly for me but forced myself to finish it at least.

My #2 game of 2021 after It Takes Two. Prey is still better.

Edit: Game Pass is basically free if you VPN to Turkey where it is $1.59/mo

Last edited:

theHFIC

It took me a bit to figure out all of the mechanics and find / save my favorite weapons but by my final runs to kill everyone I had a blast with it. Never got to try multiplayer though.

sachos

Man, feel bad for Arkane. 5 Million seems low after being offered in so many ways and services, specially when knowing a lot of people just try things for less than an hour.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not sure what you could really get out of it in that time. Once you get into the meat of the game, it's pretty addictive though.
I just wasn't having fun, and there were too many other games to play. I was on Chapter 3 I guess, finding Cole's home (I think). Thought I'd come back to it later, but there is always something else and more fun to play, and it just keeps sitting in my backlog.

I might get back to it someday, hopefully.

SkylineRKR

Not bad but far from Arkane's best game, I would give it a 7 or so. Starts off good, but then you are endlessly replaying the same sections with the same enemy placements to get a small tidbit to advance the plot. I eventually put it down.

wOs

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people say it isn't good int his thread. So I'll just put out there that I really enjoyed it and it felt different and unique. Best game ever, no. Worthwhile experience, absolutely.

Robb

Gold Member
Good on Arkane.

I love the concept of it but the progression system with Residiuum collection etc. really didn’t do it for me. Gave it up 1/3 in.

I want to be able to keep abilities and weapons between loops and sneak around and enjoy the level design. It all felt way to gimped for me constantly - even if the AI is very forgiving.

I would much rather have had a lot more difficult AI alongside getting to keep abilities etc.

Last edited:

Roberts

5 Million sound a bit low. I'm aware this game is not for everybody, because it often feels like work (I didn't mind - I adore this game) and is not a straightforward action game, but surely more people should have at least tried it considering it was on both subscription services.

Anyway, Colt is an amazing character. His hangover antics made me laugh pretty much constantly.

Pretty sure this game is on both PS and GP sub plans. So out of those 5M gamers, who knows what the actual sales are. Maybe 2M?

Looks like it was #6 in it's release month and then fell right out of the top 20 for the month after. Tales of Arise, which debuted at #4 that month and then also disappeared off the top 20, has sold just over 2M. So probably looking at something like 1.5M actual sales for Deathloop.

Top Bottom