• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debate moderator for third debate, Kristen Welker, has deep Democratic ties

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013

All eyes are turning to NBC News White House correspondent Kristen Welker as she prepares to host the third and final presidential debate Thursday.
But Trump supporters who took issue with hard questioning by previous moderators like Chris Wallace and Savannah Guthrie may find themselves pining for those combative hosts after Welker is done with the president.
Welker comes from an established Democratic family — who have poured cash into party coffers, and to Trump opponents, for years.

Her mother, Julie Welker, a prominent real estate broker in Philadelphia, and father, Harvey Welker, a consulting engineer, have donated tens of thousands of dollars to Democratic candidates and close to $20,000 to Barack Obama alone.

There was also $3,300 for Joe Biden’s 2020 campaign and $2,100 for Hillary Clinton’s doomed 2016 presidential effort against Trump. Another $7,300 was contributed to the Democratic National Committee between 2004 and 2020.
In 2012, Welker and her family celebrated Christmas at the White House with the Obamas.

Her mother and father.
Though Kristen Welker’s party registration is not listed today, she was a registered Democrat in Washington, DC, in 2012 and in Rhode Island in 2004.
Throughout Welker’s tenure as a White House correspondent, she has earned a reputation for a scathing style of questioning.

“Mr. President, yes or no. … have you ever worked for Russia. Yes or no?” she demanded during a confrontation in January 2019.
The treatment stands in stark contrast to her handling of Democratic politicos.

In March 2016 Welker was busted on live television tipping off Hillary Clinton’s Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri about at least one question she planned to ask her during a post-debate interview in Michigan. At the time Clinton was locked in a fierce fight for the Democratic nomination against Sen. Bernie Sanders.

“I’m going to ask you about Flint,” Welker said of the Michigan city’s infamous water crisis.

Welker deleted her Twitter account last week, heading off a more complete look at her past statements and views. It was later restored.

“Anyone who’s ever dealt with Welker knows she’s an activist, not a reporter. The White House press team views her the same way they would AOC or Pelosi if they walked in the office,” a senior White House official told The Post.

Reactions: Punkster88

dkny1121

Mar 23, 2018
Of course Biden we be told the questions in advance, she has a history on tape of giving Hillary the questions. Trump should skip it and go on the Rogan Podcast.

Reactions: Punkster88

Sejan

Sep 28, 2018
How is it that not a single debate moderator is a Republican? I truly don't understand this, and I would like someone to clarify how exactly the Democrats are always the debate moderators (at least for this year).
Some people actually believe that these people have journalistic integrity. As if somehow they’ll put aside their personal feelings and grill each candidate equally. It never plays out that way, but that’s the claim anyways. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these journalists are so biased that they genuinely believe they are being fair and unbiased.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
How is it that not a single debate moderator is a Republican? I truly don't understand this, and I would like someone to clarify how exactly the Democrats are always the debate moderators (at least for this year).
They think Chris Wallace checks this box since he works for Fox.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Which should tell you something about Fox.
Chris Wallace was an embarrassment though. His questions were bad and he handled the debate terribly. The Vice Presidential moderator was far, far better and that's coming from someone who listens to Fox News Sunday every week.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Brian had a good idea. Just get rid of this pretense of partisanship and have 2 moderators. One left and one right.

Its a sham to expect anyone in the MSM to not suffer from mass amounts of TDS. I just wonder if when Trump is gone will the hatred continue or is it a Trump thing.

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Chris Wallace was an embarrassment though. His questions were bad and he handled the debate terribly. The Vice Presidential moderator was far, far better and that's coming from someone who listens to Fox News Sunday every week.
Fox News is an embarrassment. I can't believe so many of you on here still watch that shit.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Fox News is an embarrassment. I can't believe so many of you on here still watch that shit.
I don't watch any news; unless I'm channel flipping or something. I listen to the Podcasts of Fox News Sunday and The Five though. Prior to this year, Chris Wallace was actually pretty respectable and would go after each side pretty equally, but this year Covid kind of broke him. The Five is fun just to see what kind of manure Juan Williams will say. Most all of my news is gleaned from aggregators.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
THEY ALL DO.

You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone active in media or journalism that does not.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I don't watch any news; unless I'm channel flipping or something. I listen to the Podcasts of Fox News Sunday and The Five though. Prior to this year, Chris Wallace was actually pretty respectable and would go after each side pretty equally, but this year Covid kind of broke him. The Five is fun just to see what kind of manure Juan Williams will say. Most all of my news is gleaned from aggregators.
The Walt Disney coporation owns all of Fox. They're no different than CNN. They're just better at branding.

sackings

Jul 22, 2020
Fox news is not owned by Disney. It became its own entity after the sale. Disney got Fox sports, movies, etc. Rupert Murdoch family owns Fox News, along with a few other right-leaning outlets (NYPost)

Reactions: Boss Mog

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Fox news is not owned by Disney. It became its own entity after the sale. Disney got Fox sports, movies, etc. Rupert Murdoch family owns Fox News, along with a few other right-leaning outlets (NYPost)
This is correct. I apologize for the misinformation. I thought Fox News fell under the 21st century umbrella.

Still shit though. Helped get us into iraq. Anyone who dissented was labeled anti-American, among other things.

mid83

Mar 4, 2014
Part of the issue is that a lot of people in the mainstream media believe they are “unbiased”.

For example, I saw a WaPo article the other day that was highlighting how on-air reporters who have been at Fox News have a hard time getting hired by mainstream networks (CNN, MSNBC, the three broadcast networks etc..). One reason given by somebody at one of the mainstream networks said that former Fox employees have to adjust to being more “impartial” compared to when they were at Fox. That of course alludes to the idea that Fox reporters are biased to the right while mainstream reporters are in the middle. That of course is absurd.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
The thing with Fox is they have a lot of Never Trumper people. If you look to the first 2 years of the Trump presidency and ask why he didn't get much done with GOP control of multiple branches of government look no further than Paul Ryan the speaker of the house at the time who is now on the Fox board of directors. He even stated that his goal was to rein in Trump on Fox news. Guy is as never Trumper as it gets. So is Chris Wallace. During every big event during the presidency (impeachment, Mueller, etc) he was always brought on to be the anti Trump perspective. (he was always wrong too) They should have gotten Bret Baier who has no love for Trump either but at least is somewhat fair but the selection of Wallace just shows that the stronger Never Trumper faction at Fox has some traction in the decision making processes. At least they have a mix of people which is healthier than CNN who won't even bring on an opposing viewpoint and if they do they interrupt them to the point of insanity. It is all garbage though.

Last edited: