• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, January 10th

Told ya Prim. :)

So PS4 > 1.37m but < 1.6m

Lol at the MS pr spin, but it gives us good info to dig in.
Looks like it was a narrow win probably.

23kXlZr.gif

Am I destined to be forever wrong?

No, I must double down again!

Edit: Looks like a small gap, wonder if it's sub 100k or sub 50k?

Futurematic

Price promotion in holiday does work.

Absolutely. We saw that last year and the year before. The question is how much damage that does to Q1 sales? We saw Xone collapse hard in Q1. I'm incredibly curious to see if Sony has the same problems, or if their line-up of games can counteract that. Switch in March also may drastically change spending patterns… smart move on Sony (and some other publishers) to roll out their big games H1 before that occurs.

Loris146

This bodes well for the next holiday season anyway where there will be ( hopefully ) more "compelling" games ( sales wise ).

Welfare

Price promotion in holiday does work.

They haven't really done much besides keeping sales flat from November in previous years, so November must have been an odd month for hardware purchasing.

With such a big increase in sales for both, I wonder how Pro performed this month.

so ps4 less than 1582k
and xb1 more than 1376k
gap below 206k units or 13%
actually, as xbox is the best selling console in H2CY2016, the gap is below 166k

so while November was a bad month, December did pretty good

Kill3r7

Not sure where these sales came from after a lackluster November but more power to them. Do we know if either one of the twins is up for the year?

he means those who said ps4 would be down from November because the slim is not desirable and there was no pro launch this month

They said this seriously? A high priced, high spec SKU like the Pro isn't meant to appeal to the holiday mass market consumer. I guess some people think the world doesn't extend beyond their own interests.

They said this seriously? A high priced, high spec SKU like the Pro isn't meant to appeal to the holiday mass market consumer. I guess some people think the world doesn't extend beyond their own interests.

People thought (including me) Xb1 could edge out December because November was very close and Sony had a "big" new hardware release with the Ps4 in November. So the Ps4 Pro launch and preorder numbers could be the deciding factor

Elandyll

Banned
I admit I'm anticipating (Yuge) sales for next year's Holiday period.
Not only will we see the Scorpio released (not expecting it on fire, but it could do well) and probably a push on XB1S bundles (new AC?) as well, but also likely to see SIEA repeating the 2015 tactics: Imagine Battlefront 2 bundles... COD ... And dare I say... Red Dead Redemption 2 bundles?

Welfare

Not only will we see the Scorpio released (not expecting it on fire, but it could do well) and probably a push on XB1S bundles (new AC?) as well, but also likely to see SIEA repeating the 2015 tactics: Imagine Battlefront 2 bundles... COD ... And dare I say... Red Dead Redemption 2 bundles?

I can see a RDR2 Pro bundle this holiday if it makes this year.

People thought (including me) Xb1 could edge out December because November was very close and Sony had a "big" new hardware release with the Ps4 in November. So the Ps4 launch and preorder numbers could be the deciding factor

I can see how one could get to that perspective. Both boxes are performing quite well, and it's certainly a close race every month recently.

just imagine $199 ps4 slim and xbox one s
+ whatever better bundles sony will do

both should outperform this year.
question is, if one (or both) could outperform sony 2015 and sell over 3.1 million units

Another 100k difference, is my guess.

the gap is below 166k
how low exactly, i don't know

edit:
this numbers is using the rounded 1.1m and 1m numbers from windows central for ps4 and xb1 sales in November
the real number could be a little different, tho

and welcome back. last time i saw your name it was grey

RexNovis

Banned
So much for the Pro drop theory.

I seriously doubt the difference between the predicted range and the actual range is due to better than anticipated pro sales. If anything it's likely to be the extended price cuts onthe Slim SKU that drove the majority of sales growth.

allan-bh

So much for the "X1S is a more desireable product" narrative that was going around. Good to see the month was bigger then expected.

I think it was more desirable than PS4 Slim in this holiday season, but not enought to overcome the combo Slim+Pro.

Still, being the only console with YoY growth in december shows that XBO S had a positive effect.

I think it was more desirable than PS4 Slim in this holiday season, but not enought to overcome the combo Slim+Pro.

Still, being the only console with YoY growth in december shows that XBO S had a positive effect.

We don't know what Pro did no? x1S did well yes, but more desirable? No, we will see as sony takes the next few months as well, a large part of the bump with x1s was existing owners upgrading, I mean the ps4 slim is not much of an upgrade for current ps4 owners, ps4 is already small.

Ms had far better bundles this year. we have no idea what sony may have done had they not launched the pro.....

Futurematic

You're really reaching. The release date of most of those games was decided when the hot topic was "Switch is launching in 2016 for sure"

Fair point, I agree I overreached. They got lucky would have been a much a better way of phrasing it :).

RexNovis

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa wait hold the phones.the only console with YOY growth could just be talking about the base PS4 slim SKU not being up YoY. Is it possible that Slim + Pro is up YOY?!? That would be insane!

cakely

Hey, Amazon US Monthly for December was right, again.

You had a rough year, AMZN, with two bad months but you're coming back.

Welfare

Whoa whoa whoa wait hold the phones.the only console with YOY growth could just be talking about the base PS4 slim SKU not being up YoY. Is it possible that Slim + Pro is up YOY?!? That would be insane!

Nah, because I doubt MS is removing OG XB1 from their PR, so if they are combining OG + S, then they are comparing it to PS4 + Pro.

Also, there was no S in 2015, so how can it be up YoY going by that?

blakep267

Id like to see how MS does these next 3-4 months. If the Xbox can stay above yoy continuing I'd say the S would be considered a success in that it stemmed the decline until Scorpio

Elandyll

Banned
if they would do that, they would go all in and say xbox one s was the best selling console in december. either spin really hard, or not at all
I don't think it did (XB1S> to PS4S that is).Between low stock and price sensitivity, I don't expect the Pro to have done much at all in Dec.

RexNovis

Banned
Nah, because I doubt MS is removing OG XB1 from their PR, so if they are combining OG + S, then they are comparing it to PS4 + Pro.

Also, there was no S in 2015, so how can it be up YoY going by that?

There was no PS4 Slim either. Going by the wording I think it's possible they are counting Pro as a separate console due to it being a completely desperate SKU instead of a revision like S. I mean don't get me wrong it's incredibly unlikely that PS4 would be up YoY after such a strong year last year but I think the possibility is there given the wording we have currently.

I don't think it did (XB1S> to PS4S that is).Between low stock and price sensitivity, I don't expect the Pro to have done much at all in Dec.

me neither, but at least 100 - 150k units
and there're still original ps4 and xb1 units

but all this does not matter at all. it's just a joke and hypothetical
some one with the detailed report could tell us, tho

XboxOne S absolutely was successful. Without it, it would have been awful. Now it's okay.
The pro wasn't the decisive factor, but added some upgrader sales. It was the topping on the icecream, not more, not less.

watdaeff4

Good month for both systems. (and I'm assuming 3DS had a good month too)

Id like to see how MS does these next 3-4 months. If the Xbox can stay above yoy continuing I'd say the S would be considered a success in that it stemmed the decline until Scorpio

I think it has a chance because the XB1 was not doing well at all the first half of next year.

RexNovis

Banned
if they would do that, they would go all in and say xbox one s was the best selling console in december. either spin really hard, or not at all

Ehhhh but that is directly contradicted by the NPD announcement so the spin wouldn't be ass effective. Spin thrives on uncertainty as it seeks to fill in the gaps of known info. And it's also possible that PS4 Slim was the best selling console SKU so if that was the case then they could t say that as it would be an outright lie.

Top Bottom