• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2020 NPD: Nintendo Switch was the best selling hardware platform in units and dollars for December and 2020.

ethomaz

Banned
Unless there is a paid remaster for PS5 TLOU2 won’t reach TLOU sales.
A lot of PS4 sales were double dip.

MagnesG

Banned
Again some of these bundles were very limited and only in certain countries. Heck that $199 PS4 bundle didn't last long at all as stock on it wasn't great. Tons of games get bundled so no real reason to call out TLOU. We could talk about Mario Kart 8 numbers on the Switch and all the holiday bundles it has been in for 3 years too.
Those bundles MK8D are priced $360 until the recent Black Friday ($300), once.

TLOU bundles were on sales multiple times throughout the years, with at least 15 different types of bundles released across the countries (from wiki), even with its limited availability.

What's your take on XBOX launching in more countries but selling less in comparison to the XB1 in it's established markets and biggest territory? So far from all the info suggests the only place they sold more than the XB1 was the UK and only by a margin of 5K.

People blame production and covid and the latter is definitely a factor. But I'm also sensing a lack of momentum, particularly in comparison to how Sony's PS5. But that's not easy to quantify this early into launch.
Microsoft dropped the ball on production and supply.

In every major country, Xbox Series console sales are below Xbox One for launch year.
Nearly 2 months and no restock in Japan.
Everything else is super dry, too.

That's not how you make up ground.

Rolla

Banned
Production is half of the issues because while Series X is sold out the Series S is available is most places... of course there is a lot of people that wants the Series X so they will wait and won’t buy the Series S.

About selling in more country I believe Ms Didi made the right more... they were criticized a lot with the “tier 1 countries” on XB1 launch and selling in country A instead country A & B ends the same number of sales.

I believe all the backslash with Halo Infinite and not having a plan B for launch is hurting more compared with the good XB1 launch lineup.

But of course that is the biased opinion.

Biased opinion but still grounded in truth. At some point we'll reach market saturation and we'll be able to see how our theories bare out.
Microsoft dropped the ball on production and supply.

In every major country, Xbox Series console sales are below Xbox One for launch year.
Nearly 2 months and no restock in Japan.
Everything else is super dry, too.

That's not how you make up ground.

XBOX did go + 5K here in the UK but everything else we've seen suggests it's below X1 launch year. Again, although it's just an opinion, I think the momentum outside of the hardcore community isn't where it needs to be.

Elios83

I believe he is guessing based in mat posts.
That is what we know.

PS4 in 2013: ~2m
XB1 in 2013: ~1.82m

PS5 in Nov 2020: > 1.14m (PS4 Nov 2013)
XBS in Nov 2020: < 0.91m (XB1 Nov 2013)

PS5 in Dec 2020: < 0.86m (PS4 Dec 2013)
XBS in Dec 2020: < 0.86m (PS5 Dec 2020)

Zhuge is guessing that (>1.14m) + (<0.86m) is lower or equal to 2m (PS4 2013).
That is not necessary true.... it can be over 2m (eg. 1.25m + 0.8m is more than 2m).

Now XBS 2020 is indeed lower than XB1 2013 (it did lower numbers in both months compared with 2013).... how much lower is the big question.

I don't know if he's speculating, he actually is an analyst now ( I mean it's not vgchart or benjisales...) with some access to datas.
Anyway hints from UK sales and NPD + Sony's total silence on the matter even at CES seem to hint that they have not been able to sell/ship as many PS5s as PS4s in the Nov+Dec but it should be close.
We'll find out during their fiscal results report, also maybe production will be ramped up during Q1 so that in the end they'll still reach their target of shipping more PS5s than PS4s in the fiscal year ending in March.

Last edited:
Biased opinion but still grounded in truth. At some point we'll reach market saturation and we'll be able to see how our theories bare out.

XBOX did go + 5K here in the UK but everything else we've seen suggests it's below X1 launch year. Again, although it's just an opinion, I think the momentum outside of the hardcore community isn't where it needs to be.
Launch week, yes. Im talking about the full launch year.

So 2013 vs 2020

Hardware, switch vs ps4 (year 0 to 4 in USA)

Er2gPUpXEAADevr

Yc9DG0n.png

More here:

Last edited:
I'm curious, what made you pick those two games for that statement?
ACNH sold gangbusters over lockdown - the perfect game for that kind of situation I might add.

Super Mario Odyssey is just a fantastic game. Since completing it, I've hardly touched my switch. Not even 3D Collection has really made me pick it up.

Woopah

ACNH sold gangbusters over lockdown - the perfect game for that kind of situation I might add.

Super Mario Odyssey is just a fantastic game. Since completing it, I've hardly touched my switch. Not even 3D Collection has really made me pick it up.
That's fair from a personal perspective, but for the general market it's clear there is a lot of games people would buy a Switch for.

In terms of other 2020 games to play on Switch, I'd recommend Ori and the Will of the Wisp if you haven't played it already.

Top Bottom