• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dedicated ray tracing cores for Xbox Scarlett?

Microsoft don't have a clue what they are doing 80 percent of the time by this time I think only windows is keeping them alive the rest departments are just wasting Microsoft's money!
Azure, office 365

Most businesses fail at most of what they do, so 80% fail rate is not as bad as it seems... I would only wish they did not fail so hard in gaming, it seems the only thing they do really really well is twiter and Spencer interviews.

Shin

Banned

Not that interested in reading next-gen news at the moment as there isn't anything beefy, but seeing where AMD is heading or wants to along with MS Azure I can see a nice fit.
Anything related to the cloud hasn't impressed (to my knowledge), yet every company and their mother keeps pushing it so perhaps there's some truth to it all but no one has been able to capture it just yet.

amd-ray-tracing.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This was already known. PS5 only has Software based RT. It’s the same as this gen:

Xbox oneX native 4K
PS4 pro checkerboard crap fake 4K
There is nothing confirmed about that... the opposite both seems to have hardware based ray-tracing.

And both machines you listed has more fake 4k games than native.

pawel86ck

Banned
I'm not against raytracing I'm against wasting console resources and money on gimmick dedicated cores, they've done it on older cards using cry engine they've done it on a degree xbone and PS4 aswell so why spend costs making dedicated cores
RT is not a gimmick, just the opposite. Standard lighting methods are gimmicks, because developers try to replicate with various techniques how RT would look like. RT is expensive but no one should call it a simple gimmick. Minecraft shows how drastic difference RT GI can make, and Metro exodus also looks great although they have limited GI RT to the extreme (sun was the only source of RT GI, and on top of that light bounces were limited to "2" and that's not enough to lit evenly certain high contrast scenes).

Journey

Banned
I'm not against raytracing I'm against wasting console resources and money on gimmick dedicated cores, they've done it on older cards using cry engine they've done it on a degree xbone and PS4 aswell so why spend costs making dedicated cores

You do understand that it's not Microsoft's or Sony's decision on the direction these GPUs are heading, right? heck nVidia has nothing to do with the consoles and they're actually leading the way with RT. Can you picture going back in time and complaining that GPU manufacturers are wasting money by adding dedicated shader cores to their GPUs?

Last edited:
Very funny, but I guess you missed the news about all of the studios that they acquired, so it's clear that they're covering that as well, but let's go off topic and place a jab here to look cute and deflect. :pie_eyeroll:
The problem is that we have had the same "rumor" for a couple of months, nothing new is coming out - so what is there to talk about? We may as well make fun of the empty PR non-sense until we have something that will make us eat crow.

As for their studios - I will stop making fun of MS/xbox when they have started delivering a stream of amazing games on par with Sony or Nintendo - not just one - the delivery has to be both excellent and constant.

Microsoft don't have a clue what they are doing 80 percent of the time by this time I think only windows is keeping them alive the rest departments are just wasting Microsoft's money!
Azure, office 365

Most businesses fail at most of what they do, so 80% fail rate is not as bad as it seems... I would only wish they did not fail so hard in gaming, it seems the only thing they do really really well is twiter and Spencer interviews.

lukilladog

You do understand that it's not Microsoft's or Sony's decision on the direction these GPUs are heading, right? heck nVidia has nothing to do with the consoles and they're actually leading the way with RT. Can you picture going back in time and complaining that GPU manufacturers are wasting money by adding dedicated shader cores to their GPUs?

Sony and MS decide in conjunction with selected game developers which features they want in their GPUs, for example, Sony first parties were asking Mark Cerny to avoid ray tracing GPUs during PS4 development. So it makes no sense for AMD to push hard for tech that Sony and MS don´t want, not only because they are not selling it to them, but because multiplatform games are developed with MS and Sony hardware as the baseline. I doubt they want to put themselves in a position where they have to pay game devs for injecting RT effects on PC ports, they are not as rich as nvidia.

That being said, RT nvidia type cores are not a big deal in die space, they should be called RT asics instead I think, and should be relatively cheap to have in gpus. But I´d rather have 25% more shader cores and 25% percent better perfomance in shader intensive games than a couple of rt effects from time to time, which is ultimately the bite of what nvidia is doing.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
The problem is that we have had the same "rumor" for a couple of months, nothing new is coming out - so what is there to talk about? We may as well make fun of the empty PR non-sense until we have something that will make us eat crow.

As for their studios - I will stop making fun of MS/xbox when they have started delivering a stream of amazing games on par with Sony or Nintendo - not just one - the delivery has to be both excellent and constant.

I gotcha, but this is a technical thread, you can complain away in threads talking about games and exclusives. No one goes to an AMD or nVidia thread to complain about exclusives, people are just excited about the hardware, but I get it, consoles and warZ lol

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That's all well and good but this is why I haven't played my xbx1 in a year because it's in a storage bin and why I have no interest in their next system and won't buy it. Because Microsoft seems to think hardware is what makes a good game. It's all they have talked about for quite some time now, occasionally they talk about games but not often.

I don't care if it has ray tracing or be "the most powerful console ever created" or how many tera flops it puts out. All I want is good games and xbox has so few ones that are exclusive I want to play I wrote them off a while ago.

Now it's all about playstation, PC, and occasionally switch.
Hold up....youre not interested in Xbox so you come into an Xbox related thread to tell us youre not intersted in Xbox, only PS, Switch and PC?

Do you have ANY idea how fucking odd that sounds?? The irony alone is staggering...

meirl

Banned
Something, something on XboneX Gears 5 1080p at minimum, something, something 1800p max. during gameplay. Yeah, that's native 4k i presume.

Did you just say Red Dead Redemption 2? 😉

Gears is an FPS game. FPS is King there. It’s running at 60fps.

It's pretty clear at this point that both PS5 and Scarlett will have dedicated RT HW.

No , Sony confirmed. Software only for PS5

Last edited:

Gavon West

You do realize that Gears 5 is just one example of the new Microsoft agenda for ALL their studios, right? More time, more money, more resources equal better games. Gears 5 is a direct testament to that. Forza 8 and Halo Infinite will more than likely see the same results as Gears 5 has - not to mention the rest of the XGS family. People who think this is still the Microsoft of old are going to be in for a huge shock in the coming months/years..

Journey

Banned
You made the statement. The burden of proof is on you to provide the evidence.

So, present it. Since we have a comprehensive thread here, with no mention of it.

What is this, a court of law? lol. There is word from a developer that Scarlett has dedicated RT cores, just as it was rumored based on comments made post announcement. It was also speculated, before this comment by the developer, that only Scarlett had these dedicated RT cores because there was no official comment from Sony regarding this, the language was just "supported" but no specific mention of having hardware support like MS implied, and now confirmed by a dev.

Gavon: Ori and the Will of the Wisps announced by dev, coming to Xbox
DeepEnigma: This is a must own game, so clearly coming to PS4 as well, its logical
Gavon: Nope, this is only coming to Xbox console.
DeepEnigam: Receipts?
Gavon: Find it yourself. Its out there. Google some shit!
DeepEnigma: You made the statement. The burden of proof is on you to provide the evidence. So, present it. Since we have a comprehensive thread with no mention of Ori NOT coming to PS5.

Me:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cool

but let's be honest. neither console will have a good experience when it comes to Raytracing. if raytracing is still so demanding that a £1,000+ GPU can only manage 1080p then what chance do these consoles have? They are based on a much weaker GPU. yes, consoles will have support for raytracing but chances are they will be severely limited and most people won't even be able to the tell the difference. either they tone it right down so they can hit 4K resolutions, they do what the Pro/X do and run at 1440/1800p and upscale (even then they'll need to limit it), or ray tracing will have it's own setting or be tied in with a setting that lets the system run at a lower resolution and unlimited framerate and/or "higher settings".

still...the more support for Raytracing the better because it really is the future. it might be hard to run today but eventually it'll be the norm.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What is this, a court of law? lol. There is word from a developer that Scarlett has dedicated RT cores, just as it was rumored based on comments made post announcement. It was also speculated, before this comment by the developer, that only Scarlett had these dedicated RT cores because there was no official comment from Sony regarding this, the language was just "supported" but no specific mention of having hardware support like MS implied, and now confirmed by a dev.

Gavon: Ori and the Will of the Wisps announced by dev, coming to Xbox
DeepEnigma: This is a must own game, so clearly coming to PS4 as well, its logical
Gavon: Nope, this is only coming to Xbox console.
DeepEnigam: Receipts?
Gavon: Find it yourself. Its out there. Google some shit!
DeepEnigma: You made the statement. The burden of proof is on you to provide the evidence. So, present it. Since we have a comprehensive thread with no mention of Ori NOT coming to PS5.

Me:
giphy.gif

So tales the the ass then.

Got it.

Gavon West

cool

but let's be honest. neither console will have a good experience when it comes to Raytracing. if raytracing is still so demanding that a £1,000+ GPU can only manage 1080p then what chance do these consoles have? They are based on a much weaker GPU. yes, consoles will have support for raytracing but chances are they will be severely limited and most people won't even be able to the tell the difference.

still...the more support for Raytracing the better because it really is the future. it might be hard to run today but eventually it'll be the norm.
Okay, I'm thinking you missed the bit of "DEDICATED RAY TRACING CORES".

This means ray tracing responsibilities will be handled seperately from the GPU, which is hands down more efficient.

First you guys say ray tracing isnt coming next gen. It is.

Then you say it won't be very good.
Microsoft Dev confirms DEDICATED. RAY. TRACING. CORES.

I mean, dude? Really??

Last edited:

Gavon West

Got it.
Sure. I guess. So long as you won't look it up yourself. Believe what you want to believe. Not searching for the answers yourself is one way to cement a misinformed perspective. Have at it...

ethomaz

Banned
Incorrect. PS5 is said to have software based RT. And XOX patently has more native 4K games than the latter. Dont spread misinformation breh
That was never said.

"The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing"

That for me hints more about hardware than software but maybe it is just me.

Sony never confirmed software ray-tracking lol
Lies.

Last edited:
People who think this is still the Microsoft of old are going to be in for a huge shock in the coming months/years..
Have you seen the trailer for ninja theorie's next game? It looks horrible, and is apparently an MP only game, so not really.

And they have promised SO much over the current generation, every year 1 or 3 really nice looking trailers of upcoming games - yet so few actually delivered, both in quantity and quality... Yet all you have to fall back to is their latest release, which as I said is not a trend... Even if this is their plan, what they talk about the most is their streaming service (old news, Sony/Steam/Nvidia had that YEARS AGO), their monthly subscription service (games something or other), online gaming with other revenue streams, etc. liberty to play those games I don't care for anywhere I want.

That looks more like you got caught in a bait and switch if you think this is their plan -- they need to do much more to regain actual trust.
Xbox oneX native 4K
Xbox fans: nobody can see 1080p - 720p to 900p is fine!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sure. I guess. So long as you won't look it up yourself. Believe what you want to believe. Not searching for the answers yourself is one way to cement a misinformed perspective. Have at it...
Dev says RT cores in Scarlett.... Check
No dev or source has mentioned RT cores for PS5... Check.

Saying RT cores likely coming to Scarlett because dev mentioned it is nomral.
Saying RT cores also coming to PS5 = tales from your ass, so you are correct sir!

Purposefully obtuse.

My question was, where was it confirmed it was software like stated in here.

But carry on...

Call me crazy but I doubt that there's going to be a very big difference in the Scarlett/PS5 architecture. At this point it's more of what is supposedly leaked about either. I'd think they would have pretty much the same features with maybe just a slight difference in means to achieve the same ends.

ethomaz

Banned
Just a little review from Sony of what they confirmed until now.
They never said it is Hardware or Software Ray-tracing... is probably hardware but we will see soon.

s2ruAbtGviEft9LQu8LcJC-1366-80.png

Last edited:

Gavon West

Have you seen the trailer for ninja theorie's next game? It looks horrible, and is apparently an MP only game, so not really.

And they have promised SO much over the current generation, every year 1 or 3 really nice looking trailers of upcoming games - yet so few actually delivered, both in quantity and quality... Yet all you have to fall back to is their latest release, which as I said is not a trend... Even if this is their plan, what they talk about the most is their streaming service (old news, Sony/Steam/Nvidia had that YEARS AGO), their monthly subscription service (games something or other), online gaming with other revenue streams, etc. liberty to play those games I don't care for anywhere I want.

That looks more like you got caught in a bait and switch if you think this is their plan -- they need to do much more to regain actual trust.

Xbox fans: nobody can see 1080p - 720p to 900p is fine!
You keep posting shit that would be more accurate in 2013.

And Im still baffled how youre in an Xbox related thread yet, you arent interested in the platform, console or it software. Salty much bruv? That's exactly what you look like when you blatantly admit that you dont care for the platform and yet, here you are.

Congratulations...

demigod

You keep posting shit that would be more accurate in 2013.

And Im still baffled how youre in an Xbox related thread yet, you arent interested in the platform, console or it software. Salty much bruv? That's exactly what you look like when you blatantly admit that you dont care for the platform and yet, here you are.

Congratulations...

lol.

Did you just say Red Dead Redemption 2? 😉

Gears is an FPS game. FPS is King there. It’s running at 60fps.

Didn't mention RDR2 in any way, but not 4K like MS advertised for Gears 5. They even didn't wrote at the bottom like Sony did for RDR 2 on TV's "Play in 4k on PS4Pro. Game outputs 2160p. 4K TV required." This is technically correct ad when some game isn't native 4k. Well, MS didn't do that with Gears.

080zyuod.jpg

Got it.

Okay, I'm thinking you missed the bit of "DEDICATED RAY TRACING CORES".

This means ray tracing responsibilities will be handled seperately from the GPU, which is hands down more efficient.

First you guys say ray tracing isnt coming next gen. It is.

Then you say it won't be very good.
Microsoft Dev confirms DEDICATED. RAY. TRACING. CORES.

I mean, dude? Really??

Dev says RT cores in Scarlett.... Check
No dev or source has mentioned RT cores for PS5... Check.

Saying RT cores likely coming to Scarlett because dev mentioned it is nomral.
Saying RT cores also coming to PS5 = tales from your ass, so you are correct sir!

Gears 5 dev. BACKTRACKED that statement! So, it's just RT hardware.

As predicted yesterday, the gamespot article with the interview with Colin Penty, Technical Art Director The Coalition is now changed in wording and "dedicated RT cores" are gone!

SJmD8bU.png

But about PS5 RT hardware based. Since you, Boners always bitching out of your ass.

Kleegamefan :

PlayStation 5 has hardware Ray Tracing (edit) hardware as well.

The only Next-gen hardware that doesn't have built in RT(yet) is Stadia

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didn't mention RDR2 in any way, but not 4K like MS advertised for Gears 5. They even didn't wrote at the bottom like Sony did for RDR 2 on TV's "Play in 4k on PS4Pro. Game outputs 2160p. 4K TV required." This is technically correct ad when some game isn't native 4k. Well, MS didn't do that with Gears.

080zyuod.jpg

Gears 5 dev. BACKTRACKED that statement! So, it's just RT hardware.

SJmD8bU.png

But about PS5 RT hardware based. Since you, Boners always bitching out of your ass.

Kleegamefan :

Whelp, we are back at square one again like we were before this thread. :pie_roffles: :messenger_ok:

GustavoLT

I hope devs go for a cleaner look in their games! Don´t want a ray tracing effect that works but looks like shit!

I wish I would care for it - this is why I am here - and I like to play The Console Wars™.

Back in 2013 - especially before the PS4 reveal - I was set on buying Microsoft's console for the next generation, I remembered how rocky the early years of that gen were for Sony, how the complexity of the PS3 caused all kind of troubles, the poor performance of the machine on most 3rd party titles, etc. and I remembered how MS were so strong out of the gate, everything seemed to be just working, the games looked all right, had better frame rates, and they offered their own very good lineup of exclusives. Then I started to pay attention to the rumors, it seemed their machine would be weaker, not a deal breaker, but given that they are on the same exact architecture it was pretty clear from the start that the benefit of platform accessibility would not be much of a point this time around, but you think, well I'll be able to catch up on their games, etc. Then they launched their console, what a mess that was, so I ended up in the line to buy my PS4 day one! I have no regret, every single of their big exclusives look like it was a disappointment - if it was not outright cancelled - and the new ones are on PC (my PC is not an xbox, sorry MS).

I'm not sure where the salt is, I am actually pretty happy with my choice of platform.

This was already known. PS5 only has Software based RT. It’s the same as this gen:

Xbox oneX native 4K
With this in mind, I think the PS5 would need to be heftier in the GPU to manage ray tracing, whereas the Xbox would not to a degree. I would expect Xbox games to look better solely due to the dedicated RT Cores. Lighting does a lot to add realism to a scene.

With this in mind, I think the PS5 would need to be heftier in the GPU to manage ray tracing, whereas the Xbox would not to a degree. I would expect Xbox games to look better solely due to the dedicated RT Cores. Lighting does a lot to add realism to a scene.
It does, given that all the rumors apparently point in the same direction (I have not followed them that closely) it would seem Sony may not have this feature, the question would then be: What does it do to performance? and How close is it to the older techniques when they are pushed to their absolute limits? (the RTX games shown so far seemed like they gimped their old style renderer).

Mass Shift

Dedicated Cores, dedicated hardware. I really don't care how they do it, I'm just glad that it's in there. And that Microsoft is willing to confirm that it is in fact IS dedicated ray tracing hardware.

You really couldn't ask for more at this early point. I'm sure MS will spill all the juicy details once the deep dives get under way.

Dedicated Cores, dedicated hardware. I really don't care how they do it, I'm just glad that it's in there. And that Microsoft is willing to confirm that it is in fact IS dedicated ray tracing hardware.

You really couldn't ask for more at this early point. I'm sure MS will spill all the juicy details once the deep dives get under way.
So is this a case of Physical Core vs Logical Cores? Would that apply in this scenario?

Top Bottom