• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver is pulling Metro Exodus from Steam, makes it Epic store exclusive.

GrayChild

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-pc-launching-exclusively-on-epic-games-store

Another big PC game is skipping Steam, as Deep Silver and Epic Games today announced Metro Exodus for the PC will launch February 15 exclusively on the Epic Games store.

"Epic's generous revenue terms are a game changer that will allow publishers to invest more into content creation, or pass on savings to the players," Deep Silver CEO Dr. Klemens Kundratitz said. "By teaming up with Epic we will be able to invest more into the future of Metro and our ongoing partnership with series developer 4A Games, to the benefit of our Metro fans."

The Epic Games store takes 12% of all revenues earned on the platform, while Steam commands a 30% cut that scales down to 20% on revenues once a title surpasses $50 million in sales. As for passing the savings on to the consumers, the standard edition of the game will sell for $50 on the storefront, as opposed to the $60 preorders had been listed for on Steam. (Deep Silver and Epic said those who have already preordered Metro Exodus through Steam or other digital storefronts will be able to download and play the game as they had expected.)

Not this shit again.....

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't care what launcher a game is on. Keep moneyhatting devs/publishers with that Fortnite cash, probably end up with better games.

I already had 4 launchers, a 5th isn't a problem.

Last edited:

Easlye

Neo Member
While I don't agree with the decision, at least they made it cheaper. Far too often they just pocket the profits and run.

Ribi

however steam has this to say,

"Later today, sales of Metro Exodus will be discontinued on Steam due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The developer and publisher have assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

We think the decision to remove the game is unfair to Steam customers, especially after a long pre-sale period. We apologize to Steam customers that were expecting it to be available for sale through the February 15th release date, but we were only recently informed of the decision and given limited time to let everyone know. "

so you can still play it on steam if you preordered?

Shin

Banned
The onslaught is real, Steam might need to lower the fee and get their shit together or there might not be much left of it.
As big as they might be, everything has to fall at some point.

Caayn

Can't blame the devs/pubs for jumping ship. The fee difference is huge. Costumers will follow, especially which this amount of games switching. They're will always be a few stubborn ones who'll stick with one launcher (a kind of console warrior but on PC).

I've got to applaud Deep Silver for passing on (part) of the savings to the customer.

Last edited:

Dunki

Can't blame the devs/pubs for jumping ship. The fee difference is huge. Costumers will follow, especially which this amount of games switching. They're will always be a few stubborn ones who'll stick with one launcher (a kind of console warrior but on PC).

I've got to applaud Deep Silver for passing on (part) of the savings to the customer.
Yes beccuase the epic store has no real features is decades behind steam and has terrible refund policies. Yeah great move for any customer who likes comfort

Woo-Fu

Banned
The onslaught is real, Steam might need to lower the fee and get their shit together or there might not be much left of it.
As big as they might be, everything has to fall at some point.

Steam isn't going to fall just because Epic moneyhats some publishers for store exclusives. For every limited-time exclusive Epic buys there are probably more than a 100 other games that will be on Steam and not on Epic's launcher at all, at any time. This business isn't about who offers the best deal taking it all, it is about reaching a critical mass necessary to be profitable without constant money-hatting.

zwiggelbig

They just lost a customer....

Its quite crazy how epic with that much money and a good position to really challenge steam is not really bothering to add all those features right now to gain massive market share. All steam has to do now is lower their cut and epic lost because steam is superior in terms of functions and services

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well fuck this game then, I ain't buying shit on this goddamn store.

Fuck you, Sweeney!

fxS2J6V.gif

Last edited:

Helios

Just how much are they paying them that they can just take their game off the shelf two weeks before the release? Christ.
While I don't agree with the decision, at least they made it cheaper. Far too often they just pocket the profits and run.
This is just what I read on reddit but apparently this only applies in the US. Everyone else is still paying the same price as on Steam.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes beccuase the epic store has no real features is decades behind steam and has terrible refund policies. Yeah great move for any customer who likes comfort

They changed the refund policies to match Steam almost 3 weeks ago. But yes, the features are bare-bones. If Metro turns out to be unmissable, I'll play it through this, sure. Otherwise, I'm not ready to start building a second library. They already got Satisfactory and that's something I'm really looking forward to.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I feel like this is the equivalent of consumers raging against microstransactions and xp throttling but from a developer's standpoint. Paying 30% to Steam probably feels like highway robbery. Even more so now because the Epic Store exists.

Its a war being waged and we are the innocent civilians getting caught in the crossfire.

Only feature I use on Steam is the launch game option.. I think I have refunded once.

The sales on PC just aren't there for most games so making up some money with a massive drop in fees is a no brainer.

renzolama

This approach of poaching existing preordered games from steam doesn't seem like a very good strategy to build consumer good will for the Epic launcher.

Helios

lol...that's hysterical...some guy overheard a conversation in a bar and it turned out to be right :D
People spend years trying to build connections inside the industry in order to find these leaks and this guy just wants to get shitfaced on a weekend and hears it. What a legend.

Game looks pretty amazing and the publisher feels the need to pull this bullshit. I swear to God being a video game enthusiast is like being in an abusive relationship.

GrayChild

They just lost a customer....

The difference being that there is no competition to speak of. I'm not against the option for the game to be purchasable on the Epic Store, provided that it remains on Steam as well.

Hell, leave the game 60 USD/EUR on Steam if Valve wants a bigger cut. Metro can be sold cheaper on the Epic storefront for those who want to support the competition or get the game for less cash.

I swear to God, these moneyhat shenanigans can fuck right off.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

The difference being that there is no competition to speak of. I'm not against the option for the game to be purchasable on the Epic Store, provided that it remains on Steam as well.

Hell, leave the game 60 USD/EUR on Steam if Valve wants a bigger cut. Metro can be sold cheaper on the Epic storefront for those who want to support the competition or get the game for less cash.

I swear to God, these moneyhat shenanigans can fuck right off.
Thing is, it isn't about selling it cheaper. Epic just paid Deep Silver for exclusivity deal for a year, it even says in a FAQ that the game will be sold on steam after february 14 2020. This is some mafia level shit they are pulling with no oversight from anyone.

Futaleufu

True competition would've been selling the game for $50 on the Epic Store and $60 on Steam, but the people working at Epic are too cowardly to try that.

As for passing the savings on to the consumers, the standard edition of the game will sell for $50 on the storefront, as opposed to the $60 preorders had been listed for on Steam.

It's only cheaper in the US. As a dirty European I don't enjoy such privilege.

ROMhack

Negative post alert:

Yeah nah fuck this. It's generally becoming a major pain in the butt to keep track of which games I have on which platforms and examples like this are why.

Epic Games arrival on the market has complicated the process tenfold because unlike GoG and Humble Bundle they absolutely insist on you accepting their own launcher in order to play. Origin was always fairly limited even though nobody liked it to begin with. I don't see games aren't getting cheaper because of the competition. In this instance, Epic are being anti-consumer because they've taken an aggressive approach in monopolising the sale of the game. They obviously know it too because they've been trying to butter us up with free games.

Oh well. PC Mustard race, etc.

P.S. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't used Epic Store yet so I could well be mistaken on a few things.

Last edited:

badblue

welp... fuck Deep Silver. Not for moving the game over to another store for more money, but for keeping the game up for presale on steam for so long while working in the back ground to make a deal with Epic. And seriously, it's still up for presale on Steam even right now....

Last edited:

Ridaxan

PC gaming's really going down the drain with regards to this silly exclusivity. This year's gonna be super bad for those titles exclusive to the platform.

I'm guessing EA gave them some... incentive to be exclusive.

But this is exactly the future that was predicted when EA Access happened. Several fragmented services with exclusivity. I'm sure Activision is working on their own stuff.

Domisto

So many bitches gonna be using the Epic store this time next year.

However, I agree if they don't sort out community features they will remain a minor player.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This might suck, but Valve need a wake up call. I'm still waiting for the new Steam UI they hoped to release almost two years ago. They cancelled the next Half-Life episode without even bother telling anyone, their Android app is outdated, and they don't care.

Stuart360

I'll laugh my arse off if like 95% of the people that wanted the game, now rush and buy it on Steam, and the game tanks on the Epic store.
Fuck Fortshite.

Top Bottom