• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver is pulling Metro Exodus from Steam, makes it Epic store exclusive.

Sorry, I'm no pc guy, all this meltdown cause people dont want to install a launcher? Sounds like a lot of manchilds complaining.

Let me get this straight. You're the one walking in here, doesn't even play on PC, completely uninformed, not even bothering to keep up with the discussion, not even trying to formulate an argument while throwing around insults, but we are the "manchildren"?

GermanZepp

Well guys, im aware of all the situation and your responses prove me right. I will let myself out so you keep the rant, sorry the discussion going.

Kenpachii

Because the main base of this niche hardcore shooter is on PC. And after the backlash they already said that it will be available on Steam and CO on February 15th 2020. But when they release it in one year they will not e able to sell much with the full Price. Again games are very front loaded and with Steam users really being pissed and review bombing Deep Silver games now on Steam they most likely have lost even more potential Sales on Steam. Right now Everything released by Deep Silver and Koch media is done for a while at least.

The backlash is already so hard they they deleted the new gameplay video from their Steam side.

Unless you can show me numbers, i can't see how PC is there main focus for a triple A single player game that is based around current console visuals in 2019. PC is a afterthought for these titles. Last light made this shift happen it was no longer a hardcore visual powerhouse focused on PC hardware first`( metro 2033 ). It was very much a console shooter.

And with demonstrations of the game which always feature controllers you can't honestly believe its still a "hardcore pc shooter' specially when its not even remotely competitive or online focused which are hardcore PC shooters in 2019.

Also why would they care about reviews even remotely? only forums like these care. Sure its negative press and it can push people off buying. But honestly if they get hefty compensated to make this whole project risk free why would they care.

What's steam specific reviews say isn't interesting towards them its a non issue as they can easily drop the whole page in 2020 with a "redux or remaster version" and have a new page.

Sony and Microsoft mostly develop their own exclusive content. They usually don't buy third party from other publishers or developers.

Google alan wake. Company's buy talent, buy Company's, bribe them and invest in them or even buy shares all the time and lock content behind there gated walls. It's nothing new.

Wow! Forums, chat, social media, reviews, cloud storage, streaming, image hosting, and guides? Steams' value-add here is really incredible. Can't even imagine what it was like before videogames could benefit from any of these things.

yea honestly it starting to get a bit cringe, people bloating about those shitty steam features that are absolutely laughable as some kind leverage. The only thing this game has to do is download + install + update + play. Nothing more.

Steam was also utter trash when it launched, epic client is just out give it some time.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Of course it's a monopoly. If you want to play Metro: Exodus on PC, you have to use the Epic Store. Otherwise, your only other choice is to not buy the game on PC.
This is not a competition between Valve and Epic for who can bring the most customers. This skullfuckery is about who can secure the most exclusives, effectively fracturing the store front market in the same way streaming sites are. Why do you think both Daredevil and Game of Thrones became some of the most pirated shows on God's green Earth?

This is not gonna force Steam to "suddenly" get better. More than likely, they're gonna drop to Epic's level and start making the same exclusive contracts with developers to only release games on their platform.

You wanna make sure people pirate your game? Because this is how you make sure people pirate your game.
Either that, they wait for it to be on a Steam sale, or simply don't buy it. Just like what happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider when it became a timed exclusive for the XBOX ONE.

That's not a monopoly dude, you are using that term WAYYYYYY TOO loosely. It's on the PC simple as that, a wide-spread platform. Just because it doesn't run on your favorite free launcher as a consumer within that platform doesn't change this fact. You don't pay a monthly fee for these launcher programs. Comparing Metro to Game of Thrones has got the be the most utterly ridiculous comparison I've seen in awhile with nothing having to do with the other in any sense, shape or form. Enough with the self-entitlement.

Oh, and yes it'll force Steam to get better once EPIC nabs more developers, exclusives, start funding smaller companies for original content & put tons of work into the store. It's pure fact and simply common sense for any two competing businesses in the game Industry. Especially Sony & MS. Anyone thinking otherwise is simply butt hurt & needs to get Steams pee pee out of their ass & look at the bigger picture. Until a company comes along and says, "hey, we're going to make you pay a monthly fee to use our launcher, to use the game you paid for" then it's an absurd notion to expect anything less than better competition eventually making their way to consumers.....for free, be it on purpose or not.

Furthermore, people who were already going to pirate the game, are going to pirate the game. This literally changes nothing. If anything it almost brings a "cringe" worthy attention to hardcore Steam whi-....err, users. I don't think their going to lose sleep over PC pirates. Especially when the majority of the sales will be coming from console owners. Better yet, I'm sure they looked at the PC pre-orders & based on estimates saw it was going to bring in disappointing PC numbers, so they simply took a lump sum. Not surprising, considering this was the main reason the series launched on consoles in the first place & why we got Redux due to poor sales of Last Light. Regarding ROTTR, it sold nearly as much as the original in the end, even with a 1-year handicap on the user base (which forced people to BUY something they didn't already have). Completely different & yet, it still worked & got a nice lump sum. Nevertheless, I'm glad they are getting theirs & eating their cake too, on top of Valve getting a taste of real competition from a business perspective. Love their Metro series. As someone with over 100 steam games (which isn't much over 10+ years tbh), it's not because I like steam or care which launcher launches my game, but because the lack of competition, I welcome this 100% w/ open arms. Giving developers more options & incentives to succeed is never a bad thing. Epic is just getting started. Whether you agree with how business is done in the real world, that's on you.

Last edited:

Helios

Oh, and yes it'll force Steam to get better once EPIC nabs more developers, exclusives, start funding smaller companies for original content & put tons of work into the store. It's pure fact and simply common sense for any two competing businesses in the game Industry. Especially Sony & MS. Anyone thinking otherwise is simply butt hurt & needs to get Steams pee pee out of their ass & look at the bigger picture. Until a company comes along and says, "hey, we're going to make you pay a monthly fee to use our launcher, to use the game you paid for" then it's an absurd notion to expect anything less than better competition eventually making their way to consumers.....for free, be it on purpose or not.
No, it will not force Steam to "get better". It will force Steam to just buy more exclusivity rights. You can see the same shit happening on Crunchyroll. They have barely improved their service in the last years. Why? Because they don't need to. As long as they just buy the rights to the popular anime people will come to their site no matter how trash it is. Same thing that's happening right now on consoles. Don't bring this shit on PC.
Furthermore, people who were already going to pirate the game, are going to pirate the game.
Dead wrong. There are plenty of pirates that have been switching to Steam because they offer things that cracked games can't. Even something as benign as Achievement.
Better yet, I'm sure they looked at the PC pre-orders & based on estimates saw it was going to bring in disappointing PC numbers, so they simply took a lump sum.
Better yet, this is how you oust yourself as a console warrior who comes here with hot takes and no sources.

brian0057

Banned
But it was OK and totally not a monopoly when steam did it?

Of course it was ok when Steam was doing it and it wasn't a monopoly. The game was also being sold on the Humble Bundle and in Fanatical. And since Steam doesn't profit from keys sold in those places (https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/keys), they gain nothing from it. If Steam was a monopoly, why would they let those places sell their keys when they could make more money by selling the keys themselves?

Steam being the biggest online game store on the market doesn't make them a monopoly. Deep Silver and 4A Games can sell, if they want, their game through GOG (which they don't due to their DRM-free motto and Exodus has Denuvo), using physical copies, through themselves as a direct download, or (as they did with Epic) go to another store front. AT NO POINT IN THIS WHOLE AFFAIR IS VALVE FORCING DEEP SILVER AND 4A GAMES TO ONLY SELL THEIR GAME THROUGH STEAM.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Better yet, this is how you oust yourself as a console warrior who comes here with hot takes and no sources.

It's common sense. Any company who takes a lump 2 weeks from launch clearly doesn't like the numbers their seeing on said platform. Clearly they didn't want the same thing happening to the PC version, as what happened to Last Light. Poor sales, simple as that. Take your hands off the bottle.

FYI, I'm a console warrior? Don't embarrass yourself dude. I'm well respected in the PC community to go along with PC enthusiast forums & even trended #1 for a week on the biggest PC subreddit recently. Shoot, I've been plastered all over the internet for builds & contributions I've given over the years.

Dead wrong. There are plenty of pirates that have been switching to Steam because they offer things that cracked games can't. Even something as benign as Achievement.

And yet, the majority of sales will continue to come from consoles for Metro. Plenty of pirates doesn't outweigh the lump sum their about to receive. Which clearly was enough to take it off steam in the first place 2 weeks before launch lol.

No, it will not force Steam to "get better". It will force Steam to just buy more exclusivity rights.

Your opinion. Just as spoke mine. Agree to disagree. Actually wait no, let me pull a trick out of your bag. Sources from Valve please? Go ahead & link them, thanks!

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
yea honestly it starting to get a bit cringe, people bloating about those shitty steam features that are absolutely laughable as some kind leverage. The only thing this game has to do is download + install + update + play. Nothing more.

Well, we can't all be friendless misanthropes.

Steam was also utter trash when it launched, epic client is just out give it some time.

Steam was the only game in town when it launched. It makes zero sense to release a bare-bones product in an attempt to rival it.

octiny

Banned
Just wanted to say that this is one sexy build. I'm more of an #RGB off kinda guy, no flashy colors, no gaudy crap, just pure elegance. All this neatly packed inside an equally stylish Fractal case, good job!

*Street cred restored*

Thank you! Appreciate it. Agreed, I keep all lights off myself, only wanted "red" as an option to represent AMD colors.

Cramming all of it into a MATX case was an absolute chore (Meshify C Mini) but worked out well. Will be switching out the 64's for VII's next month once some EK blocks come out.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
FYI, I'm a console warrior? Don't embarrass yourself, dude. I'm well respected in the PC community to go along with PC enthusiast forums & even trended #1 for a week on the biggest PC subreddit recently. Shoot, I've been plastered all over the internet for builds & contributions I've given over the years. !

Hardware doesn't mean shit. Let's see your Steam profile. Seach show nothing for your name.

octiny

Banned
Hardware doesn't mean shit. Let's see your Steam profile. Seach show nothing for your name.

Clearly, because people just build shit for no reason :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Because it's not under that name & it's private, duh.

And ew, you actually just searched for me? What's wrong with some of these people on this forum? Lol.

Kadayi

Banned
Clearly, because people just build shit for no reason :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't care what your reasons are, and nor does the forum.

Because it's not under that name & it's private, duh.

Why so shy? One minute you're all big I am and now suddenly you're reaching for the leaves to hide your modesty. Let's see your big dick gamer credentials hardware man. Then maybe we'll give a damn. I mean, shit Looking at your post history here I don't see one post in the last few months about playing a game. Do you just benchmark?

And ew, you actually just searched for me?

Absolutely. At least one person stanning hard for the Epic Launcher on this forum hasn't logged into Steam in over 11 years if their profile is anything to go by. Kind of hilarious given some of the things they've been saying against it as if they even have a clue.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
I don't care what your reasons are, and nor does the forum.

Why so shy? One minute you're all big I am and now suddenly you're reaching for the leaves to hide your modesty. Let's see your big dick gamer credentials hardware man. Then maybe we'll give a damn.

Absolutely. At least one person stanning hard for the Epic Launcher on this forum hasn't logged into Steam in over 11 years if their profile is anything to go by. Kind of hilarious given some of the things they've been saying against it.

Ouch. Seriously, if you're going to call someone out. This is possibly the worst way to do it especially when it comes to proof of ownership.

On that note,

Kadayi

Banned
Ouch. Seriously, if you're going to call someone out. This is possibly the worst way to do it, especially when it comes to proof of ownership.

On that note,

LOL. You basic Bitch. I asked for a profile, not petulance.

Still good of you to confirm our suspicions about you being a complete casual. Judging by that scroll bar, and that you're showing your actual games folder, you've got about 80 - 90 game max. Which given you've been gaming since UT is a woeful amount. Also gotta love just the one friend as well. No wonder you don't get why people like Steam.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

Gotta benchmark them all I guess. Every FPS counts., :unsure:

Edit: If you call someone out on a forum, the way you did. Especially, and I mean ESPECIALLY, when it comes to ownership. Expect a negative response. Respect is earned.

982917c3abad6a3ff834e5399f10bc00128c7c3f94c86e7fb1786a6e5c41cd5e.jpg

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Gotta benchmark them all I guess. Every FPS counts., :unsure:

I'm a huge bench marker too. I'm your all-in-one guy when it comes to PC. I play a lot of console too with my One X. Really depends on sales, availability & comfort for said game but I've been a PC gamer for nearly as long as I've consoled. Still remember my Geforce 3 Unreal Tournament days around when PS2 originally launched. Ah, good times.

Edit: Unsure what you're still going on about with your constant edits. You called someone out on a public forum & lost. No amount memes will take attention away from that. Suck it up, take the L & just move on my dude.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm a huge bench marker too. I'm your all-in-one guy when it comes to PC. I play a lot of console too with my One X. Really depends on sales, availability & comfort for said game but I've been a PC gamer for nearly as long as I've consoled. Still remember my Geforce 3 Unreal Tournament days around when PS2 originally launched. Ah, good times.

When you start making posts about actual games maybe I'll give a damn. Respect is earned after all.

Helios

It's common sense. Any company who takes a lump 2 weeks from launch clearly doesn't like the numbers their seeing on said platform. Clearly they didn't want the same thing happening to the PC version, as what happened to Last Light. Poor sales, simple as that. Take your hands off the bottle.
And yet Metro was the top selling game on Steam a few days ago. But it's just common sense, not the fact that Epic threw bags of cash at koch media without informing Deep Silver.
Speaking of the poor sales, since you keep mentioning those and it's your main argument on this whole page. Maybe you can give some actual sources since what I found is that the game only underperformed in the UK and was a major hit in the US. In fact the Steam version sold 3 times more than the original and this is with people complaining about the DLC.

Your opinion. Just as spoke mine. Agree to disagree. Actually wait no, let me pull a trick out of your bag. Sources from Valve please? Go ahead & link them, thanks!
I already told you how this happened before in other industries and you chose not to quote that because you want sources on something that hasn't happened yet. But I guess we can always go in circles on this. It's common sense !

Last edited:

sol_bad

I meant their launcher. You can't access games offline.

This is another point to make. Steam has an offline mode. You go away for holidays or on a business trip without internet? That's ok, you can still access your games.

Epics launcher? You're screwed and can't access your games? Very good competition there.

Kadayi

Banned
This is another point to make. Steam has an offline mode. You go away for holidays or on a business trip without internet? That's ok, you can still access your games.

Epics launcher? You're screwed and can't access your games? Very good competition there.

No, no no, I've been assured it's a feature. They planned it that way for maximum engagement. They're blue-sky thinkers you see.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Of course, you don't. You don't give a damn about what anyone thinks. you're a regular badass. Hardware Man.

gina-carano.gif

Someone called me out saying I'm a console warrior, showed them I'm not by ten football fields. You thought you could call me out regarding Steam, made you eat your call out.

How much ass kicking do you need? My gawwd.

giphy.gif

P.S. Thank you very much. I already know I'm a bad ass, just thought I'd present it as a reminder for people who enjoy calling out others on forums. Such as yourself. Next.

I just don't understand why they can't sell the game on multiple marketplaces like Ubisoft. I can buy any Ubisoft game on Steam or Uplay store. It's nice to have the choice and option of where I buy from. Their route now is garbage, exclusivity is not the way to go about it.

Kadayi

Banned
Lol yes because I spent 80 hours benchmarking ROTTR. Holy f*ck, take the obvious L & move on.

Probably. Squeezing as many FPS as you can trying different configurations so you can brag about it on Reddit by the looks of things. I mean whatever floats your boat I guess.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Probably. Squeezing as many FPS so you can trying different configurations so you can brag about it on Reddit by the looks of things.

Funny you mention that. I had like 5 posts on Reddit prior to that, but someone suggested to me to share it on there from another forum. I was nice enough to answer 99% of the questions & thank all 1,000+ comments, even the dumb ones. I don't go "bragging" about my sh*t unless I'm called out on, involves making a point or it's an actual PC enthusiast forum/site where people don't go after each other for sharing their builds.

Anything else? Or you do you have a fetish for taking L's? I'm here all day :)

octiny

Banned
In truth, I'm still waiting for you to post your actual Steam profile.

Already did, and no thanks. I think I'll keep my user name to myself instead of sharing it with the likes of you, hence why I took the picture :messenger_grinning_sweat:

However, If a mod is interested in checking out my profile, no problem! You? No thanks.

So please request a mod to check out my Steam profile....oh, and if they say no & tell you to take the clear L., you can always scroll up to my steam picture above provided.

Until then, move along & get back on topic instead of trying & failing miserably @ calling people out.

*secretly hoping you fall for this trap for another L*

Edit: This goes for Origin too.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

They are still getting more money soooooo

That is only assuming the same number of sales and not taking into account that steam gives a bigger cut once a certain number of sales revenue comes in. Down to as low as 20%.

They are only making more money if they can sell enough on Epic Store to offset the lossed sales from moving from Steam(or Epic paid them a lot of cash).

Last edited:
Top Bottom