• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Def Leppard Prep Remastered 'Hysteria' for 30th Anniversary Box Set

Cranster

Banned
Def Leppard will celebrate the 30th anniversary of their best-selling LP, 1987's Hysteria, with a remastered box set out August 4th via Universal.

The reissue will be available in multiple formats: the 1-CD "Vanilla" version, a 3-CD Deluxe version, a 2-LP set on black vinyl, a 2-LP "Direct to Consumer" version on limited-edition colored vinyl and a massive, 5-CD/2-DVD Super Deluxe Edition. he Deluxe edition includes a slew of additional rare tracks, including B-sides, radio edits, extended versions, alternate mixes and a BBC Radio "Classic Albums" documentary on Hysteria.

The Super Deluxe Edition also includes four books (Story Of, a Ross Halfin photo book, vintage tour program and poster). The two additional CDs include an audio version of the band's 1989 concert film, Live: In the Round, In Your Face, recorded during the U.S. Hysteria tour. The two DVDs feature a series of promotional videos and live performance clips, along with the "Classic Albums" doc.

Def Leppard singer Joe Elliott enthused about the reissue to Rolling Stone, calling Hysteria "that mammoth of projects."

"During our 40-year career, we've been blessed to have experienced some incredible highs, work with some amazing people and enjoy success beyond our wildest dreams," he said. "The Hysteria album was a labour of love, of that there is no doubt. But we've always believed you get what you give, and the longevity of the album is testimony to our sold belief in ourselves and the music."

Hysteria, the British band's fourth LP, followed their 1983 breakthrough, Pyromania. The group worked with producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange on Hysteria over three years, enduring numerous delays – including drummer Rick Allen's December 1984 car crash that resulted in a lost arm. The album spawned seven hit singles – including "Pour Some Sugar on Me," "Animal" and "Love Bites" – and sold over 30 million copies worldwide.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...hysteria-for-30th-anniversary-box-set-w485833

6c66344c-ce4e-4772-a7a9-2165a7e03556

I'm leaning towards the boxset if my budget permits a purchase.

Quite possibly the greatest album of all time. It's so over-produced and indulgent that it transcends the genre it perfects.

I thought they didn't have access to the original Hysteria material because of some dispute and that's why they re-recorded that Hysteria "Redo" in 2013. Huh, well I guess that's cool. I can't find any stream for Hysteria or Pyromania so maybe this will change things?

I hated this album. I actual thought Def Leppard was cool as very young kid back in 1983 with Pyromania and High 'n' Dry, and I looked forwarded to this album (it was a long wait due to the accident). That said in early 1987 I started to listen to Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and pretty much anything thrash. By comparison hair metal and pop rock was pure garbage to my ears. This was the album the jock or cheerleader that hated metal listen to. This album is as bad as pop country. I just wished Pyromania and High 'n' Dry were available streaming.

Another funny thing in my older years I enjoy listening to Hair Nation (give me some old Crue or something cheesy like Ratt) on Sirius at times. That said anything post-Pyromania comes on I turned the channel.

Luschient

Def Leppard is one of those bands I never really "liked" but I won't change the station if their songs come on the radio.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hysteria isn't even like Top 2 Def Leppard albums.

*folded arms*

I actually do think High N' Dry and Pyromania are better.

Cranster

Banned
I thought they didn't have access to the original Hysteria material because of some dispute and that's why they re-recorded that Hysteria "Redo" in 2013. Huh, well I guess that's cool. I can't find any stream for Hysteria or Pyromania so maybe this will change things?
I think the dispute is more to do with itunes and streaming as the band felt that they were getting ripped off by Universal.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You don't remaster a Bob Ludwig mastering job unless your name is Bob Ludwig and last I checked, he doesn't do the work anymore.

pfft.

Mikef2000

Quite possibly the greatest album of all time. It's so over-produced and indulgent that it transcends the genre it perfects.

Truth.

I was a huge Def Leppard fan growing up, and even though I probably love Pyromania more( because it's a bit more raw). The first time I listened to Hysteria, it blew my mind. Yes, it was overproduced, but in the best meaning of the word. I stayed with Def Leppard up until Slang(which I actually love because for the first time in ages, they experimented with their sound). But they lost me to Pearl Jam once I heard Ten(PJ is still my favorite band).

Def Leppard was my first favorite band as a child and this was the album. I did go on to get their previous albums and enjoy them. This was my band... up until the 90's when grunge hit and I became a music obsessed teenager. But I will always look at Def and remember the "good ol days"

gappvembe

I'm a huge Leppard fan. Not sure where I stand on this. I have the all audio that's on the disc, plus the videos. I might get it for the collection. Still the super deluxe is a whopping $125.

My first live show was Def Leppard at the Joe in Detroit in late 1987. Whitesnake opened for them. Got to see them again in the Summer of 88 in another show in Michigan with Europe opening for them. Also got to see Van Halen, The Scorpions, Metallica and Dokken at the Pontiac Monsters of Rock show that Summer.

My first live show was Def Leppard at the Joe in Detroit in late 1987. Whitesnake opened for them. Got to see them again in the Summer of 88 in another show in Michigan with Europe opening for them. Also got to see Van Halen, The Scorpions, Metallica and Dokken at the Pontiac Monsters of Rock show that Summer.

Man I wanted to go to that Monsters of Rock so bad that year, but it didn't come anywhere near me. That was prime Metallica, and I did get to see them in 89 on the Justice tour.

My first live show (by myself, not with my parents) was Aerosmith with White Loin.

CREMSteve

Aren't the band separated from the original distributor and no longer own the rights? Hence why I have shitty remade versions of their best songs on Spotify?

Sobriquet

My first was also Def Leppard in 1987! Ames, IA. Tesla opened.

For some reason, I've always hated "Pour Some Sugar on Me." Why does it annoy me so?

You have no soul? That opening riff is the shit. On another note, I am incredibly grateful that I got to see the Band when Steve Clark was still with us. I love Vivian Campbell as a guitarist and he was great whenever Ive seen Leppard since he joined but Clark and Collen's chemistry was sublime.

FinKL

Oh man I feel compelled to buy this. My dad had a huge CD collection, but I SOMEHOW managed to find this in his collection and loved it. The cover kinda scarred me too

Whoyouare

Awesome first concert! A buddy of mine was at that monsters of rock show. Is that the one where Alice In Chains was the opener?

winjet81

Doesn't hold a candle to Pyromania, but launched them to superstar status.

In retrospect, Mutt Lange's overboard production of Hysteria really leaves us with an album of diminishing returns.

Cranster

Banned
Can somebody explain to me what "overboard production" means?
Overboard production or overproduced is what they call an album that isn't rough, layers of guitars/vocal harmonies/electronic drums and is basically perfect note for note with no obvious mistakes left in. Most Heavy Metal fans use the term to trash the album as it's more pop sounding than the bands first three albums.

Top Bottom