• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defense Grid: The Awakening - Official Minithread of Tower Defense Bliss

pilonv1 said:
Scoring on this game is still flawed IMO

I completed Flight Plan with 8 towers - 6 red, 2 yellow and got a score of 34,650.

I completed Flight plan with about 20 towers - 5 yellow, the rest green and scored 35,750

I know the score is based on tower resell value, money left at the end and cores left. It just seems like having an efficient killzone isn't as valuable score wise as spamming green towers all over the map.

Anyway I have a higher score on flight plan now than Rlan and alistairw so it was worth it.

It all depends. It's about efficiency for money spent. It's also about WHEN you spend it. When you have a bank of supplies left, the amount of supplies you gain per second increases. Save up and use it the very last second for maximum moneys.

FerranMG

I'm pretty disappointed with this game.
The main reason being that I can't for the life of me tell two different towers apart.
If you play with the farthest camera, they all look exactly the same. I can only either try to remember were I placed all of them, or get the camera closer (which sucks because the you are missing a huge part of the battlefield).

I'd love that they had different colours or whatever. :(

xbhaskarx

I agree that the towers are all a bit too similar in color, even though I can tell them apart.
More liberal use of colors for the different towers, and greater variety in tower designs would have been nice. I also wish upgraded towers looked different beyond just a simple color change.

xbhaskarx said:
I agree that the towers are all a bit too similar in color, even though I can tell them apart.
More liberal use of colors for the different towers, and greater variety in tower designs would have been nice. I also wish upgraded towers looked different beyond just a simple color change.

Upgraded towers do look different. Cannons have triple barrels, for example.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just played the demo, and this game is seriously fun.

BUT

The framerate is horrific. On the first 2 levels, fully zoomed in you get a locked 60fps, but the other levels it jumps all over the place, and I'd rather not use the fully zoomed in camera, anyway.

No buy; framerate is way too annoying.

Brakara

xbhaskarx said:
I just checked the Leaderboard: ~1750 entries.

More people need to buy this game!

Huh? There were more than 7000 people on the leaderboard (total kills) when I checked earlier today.

xbhaskarx

Brakara said:
Huh? There were more than 7000 people on the leaderboard (total kills) when I checked earlier today.

:lol I'm screwing everything up today.

It's now at 8,600

The game is selling well, don't bother buying it, false alarm...

pilonv1

cjelly said:

BUT

The framerate is horrific. On the first 2 levels, fully zoomed in you get a locked 60fps, but the other levels it jumps all over the place, and I'd rather not use the fully zoomed in camera, anyway.

You're doing it wrong if you're playing it at full zoom.

KaYotiX

Banned
anyone else getting a white screen lock up?? It works fine on my Elite in my living room but in my bedroom when i boot up the game is freezes on a white screen and i have to manually power down my 360.

Nelo Ice

Banned
finally decided to buy it and its just as fun as ever :D

and now i dont have to worry about my laptop overheating while playing it :lol

This game is boring me a bit.

I absolutely hate predetermined build points. Really takes a lot of the strategy out of the equation and limits what you can do.

Really all you gotta do is manage your money and upgrade the towers that are placed in the best position, which isn't hard to do considering the limited options. Oh and adjust for the different wave types.

People saying this is the best TD game ever are crazy. It's not even the best on 360. Crystal Defenders wipes the floor with this in everything but presentation.

LocoMrPollock said:

I absolutely hate predetermined build points. Really takes a lot of the strategy out of the equation and limits what you can do.

Really all you gotta do is manage your money and upgrade the towers that are placed in the best position, which isn't hard to do considering the limited options. Oh and adjust for the different wave types.

People saying this is the best TD game ever are crazy. It's not even the best on 360. Crystal Defenders wipes the floor with this in everything but presentation.

Did you play the demo? You seem to complaining about what the game is purposely set up to do.

Lothars

LocoMrPollock said:

I disagree especially about Crystal Defenders are better than this, but I thought Crystal Defenders was alright but nothing compared to Defense Grid.

Defense Grid is a great TD game but takes some getting use to, I haven't played it on 360 yet but I really like it on the PC.

Stoney Mason said:
Did you play the demo? You seem to complaining about what the game is purposely set up to do.

Playing the full game.

Just seems very TD-Lite. Don't get what all the fuss is about, besides the somewhat interesting story/setup and the graphics which are good.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a bad game. But it's hardly the best of the genre. Unless it suddenly gets about 10x better before it ends.

pilonv1

LocoMrPollock said:

Come back after you've tried The Last Stand and say this. There's also the Grinder levels and the max tower levels.

Pixel Junk Monsters is like my first tower defense game compared to this.

lothars said:
I disagree especially about Crystal Defenders are better than this, but I thought Crystal Defenders was alright but nothing compared to Defense Grid.

Defense Grid is a great TD game but takes some getting use to, I haven't played it on 360 yet but I really like it on the PC.

Crystal Defenders has a ton more depth and strategic options than Defense Grid. So in that sense, it's better, at least in my opinion.

pilonv1 said:
Come back after you've tried The Last Stand and say this.

If I don't die of boredom before I get there, then we'll see.

pilonv1 said:
Pixel Junk Monsters is like my first tower defense game compared to this.

Yeah, I'd rate Pixel Junk above this, also.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LocoMrPollock said:

I didn't like the predetermined spawn point either... until getting further in. When you're actually allowed to use towers to force enemies to walk in your own pathways, it feels a lot more dynamic. I think it's a smart design ethic for a 3D game like this.

The more I get into the game, the more I feel like I can find my own way to play, rather than having to do things in what seems to be a pre-set style.

The Credits are cool. (Or "These people are AWESOME!") Concept art.. and rasberries. I like the idea.

Was annoyed by the lack of Health bars... until I saw they had them, and ability to check enemy status, though options and button presses. By the time I figured this out, though, I had adjusted...

I still wonder about the logistics of tower defense in general, though! WHY are all these creatures running through LIVE FIRE!?!?! WITHOUT fighting back?!? I'd love to see a tower defense game that toys with the idea, and actually has enemies desperately trying to take out your towers... which end up being invincible XD Just because it'd make more sense.

I wish I could understand that japanese XBLIG Tower defense thing with the game developers VS Viruses + Awesome Cover/Title Screen Art... that game had such personality in it's towers and enemies! Indivual animations all about. And COLOR!

Anyway, this is quite a quality game for $10...

SAB CA said:

I still wonder about the logistics of tower defense in general, though! WHY are all these creatures running through LIVE FIRE!?!?! WITHOUT fighting back?!? I'd love to see a tower defense game that toys with the idea, and actually has enemies desperately trying to take out your towers... which end up being invincible XD Just because it'd make more sense.

Savage Moon my friend. Its only on PS3, but its a great TD game. You drop your turrets in from orbit and it has a real Starship Troopers feel. But one thing it has that other TD games don't have is attacking enemies. If you have a PS3 try it out, I highly recommend it.

Oh and just wondering, I was doing Grinder or whatever its called where they just keep on coming until level 99, I could not get past level 50 or so, it just got so ridiculously hard, and the frame rate goes to crap when you have a million turrets with a million baddies running around. I tried for an hour to stomp it but could not. =(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
InfectedZero said:
Savage Moon my friend. Its only on PS3, but its a great TD game. You drop your turrets in from orbit and it has a real Starship Troopers feel. But one thing it has that other TD games don't have is attacking enemies. If you have a PS3 try it out, I highly recommend it.

Oh and just wondering, I was doing Grinder or whatever its called where they just keep on coming until level 99, I could not get past level 50 or so, it just got so ridiculously hard, and the frame rate goes to crap when you have a million turrets with a million baddies running around. I tried for an hour to stomp it but could not. =(

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out when I get a PS3! Sounds pretty cool.

I haven't touched survival mode yet... probably won't till I finish the game... when I saw that there WAS one, I just had to imagine the chaos in my head... ( o_O)

xbhaskarx

I only played through about half the game on PC and didn't really pay attention, but I did like how you could shape the enemy's path with towers, particularly on
Focal Point
. Now I'm further along and it just blew my mind that on
Turnabout
you can
create a really long path and a straightforward path that's closed off at the end with a cheap $100 tower, then when the enemy is going through the long path you can sell the tower for $75 to make the enemy units change course, only to buy it again when they're almost through.
That is brilliant. :lol
I'm not sure that's what you're supposed to do, or what other people are doing, most people seem to have used 20-40 towers, but I created a maze of 80 cannons/meteors.

Also there are 11,000 entries on the leaderboard now.

Nelo Ice

Banned
massing cannons along with throwing in a few other towers is pretty much unstoppable :lol also i wish there were more waves so i could see how long my mazing holds up

pilonv1

Nelo Ice said:
massing cannons along with throwing in a few other towers is pretty much unstoppable :lol also i wish there were more waves so i could see how long my mazing holds up

Try the Grinder levels.

DodgerSan

cjelly said:

BUT

Eh? I can understand some of the criticisms, but framerate? No problem here.

Rlan

The only problem I've had with framerate is when you zoom right in and you've got a billion turrets around. Normal view is fine - it tends to me the collection of effects that only really appear when zoomed - like electrical crackle around hidden enemies.

Snowball

Banned
I'm enjoying this beautiful game.

I'm trying to beat each level getting the Gold Medal. It is taking time (I'm not a TD expert). Anyway there's one thing I don't get.

In order to get the Gold you need to reach a fixed score (between 31000 and 33000 in the first stages). In order to reach a big score you need of course not to loose any nucle but moreover you need to save money.

Now my question: is there a difference in the final score between:
- a player that beats the level using (let's say) 5 towers and don't sell any of them
- a player that beats the same level using 5 towers but that before ending the stage sell all the towers

???

I don't get if it gives you the same money in the final money list if you sell or not the stuff.
Moreover, what is the key to gain more money (and points)?

[] Using less towers as possible
[] Using different towers
[] Leveling all the towers
[] Something else

Thanks for your help! :)

Jonsoncao

Banned
19k on leaderboard nao

also anyone already got the Nail Biter achievement? is there a certain stage requirement or sth? cuz I managed to satisfy wat it says in the second stage and it just wont unlock....

Brakara

Snowball said:
Now my question: is there a difference in the final score between:
- a player that beats the level using (let's say) 5 towers and don't sell any of them
- a player that beats the same level using 5 towers but that before ending the stage sell all the towers

There is basically no difference (*), since the score for a tower is the same as the amount of resources (and thus score) you get for selling it.

Snowball said:
I don't get if it gives you the same money in the final money list if you sell or not the stuff.
Moreover, what is the key to gain more money (and points)?

[] Using less towers as possible
[] Using different towers
[] Leveling all the towers
[] Something else

Spend as little resources as possible without losing cores. Remember that a tower is only worth 75% of what you spent on it. Also, having resources "in the bank" gives you interest, and thus more resources.

(*) Only difference would be if you managed to sell the towers so that you gained any extra interest before the level ended.

Snowball

Banned
Brakara said:
(*) Only difference would be if you managed to sell the towers so that you gained any extra interest before the level ended.

Thanks for your hints.
I just completed mission #dunno (it is the last mission you get in the demo, the one with a lot of spot to place towers). I did the same mission a lot of times in order to get the highest score I could. After a few attempts I'm now #26 in the worldwide ranking but I cannot level up anymore :)

Anyway the replayability of this (kind) of game is really awesome. Just if you like to play the same level a lot of times (at least to gain the gold).

When I first saw the "Checkpoint stuff" I tought it was a way to cheat but now I'm really loving this opportunity the game gives you to master your match without frustrate you.

A lot of levels. A lot of way to play. A lot of modes.
The best 10 bucks I've spent since Plants Vs Zombies (that is not as cheap as this one).

If you are not a TD Master, this is your game. I dunno what an expert could think about this Defense Grid.

Jonsoncao

Banned
selling the towers at the end of a stage wont affect the final score, since the tower resale value will be counted

pilonv1

Snowball said:
Anyway the replayability of this (kind) of game is really awesome. Just if you like to play the same level a lot of times (at least to gain the gold).

When I first saw the "Checkpoint stuff" I tought it was a way to cheat but now I'm really loving this opportunity the game gives you to master your match without frustrate you.

It also allows you to experiment and see what works best. It's a godsend if you're trying to beat your friends scores.

If you are not a TD Master, this is your game. I dunno what an expert could think about this Defense Grid.

If you've played a lot of TD, the story mode doesn't get very hard until the last level. The Grinder and other modes can get quite challenging, but I think the scoreboard is the biggest draw for tower defense experts.

Rlan

Bugger, got to the 99th round of a level and then lost all my cores.

And to change my stance on the framerate - it's fine for most single player levels, but for Grinder play it's fuuuucked. So many things on screen and it goes to 5-10 frames a second. Fast forwarding is a slideshow.

Not that I can blame the game as it's got a billion enemies on screen :D

KaYotiX

Banned
Jonsoncao said:
19k on leaderboard nao

also anyone already got the Nail Biter achievement? is there a certain stage requirement or sth? cuz I managed to satisfy wat it says in the second stage and it just wont unlock....

I got it. It has to be your FINAL orb meaning you lost 19 of them then win the stage when the last orb is basically going out the door.

Jonsoncao said:
selling the towers at the end of a stage wont affect the final score, since the tower resale value will be counted

Of course it will. Your resources you get per second increases the more resources you have. You should sell the towers immediately after they're not being used and you should keep the last enemy alive as long as you can so to keep that resource interest going as long as possible. Also, the more cores that you don't have in "green state" the more that interest rate decreases.

Haven't gotten #1 in anything yet but i got #2. Haven't played any of the obscure challenges yet, just regular campaign and i'm only half way through that.

xbhaskarx

Brakara said:
Spend as little resources as possible without losing cores. Remember that a tower is only worth 75% of what you spent on it. Also, having resources "in the bank" gives you interest, and thus more resources.

I have a really hard time thinking like this, I usually buy a new tower/upgrade as soon as I have the money for it. :lol

Brakara

KaYotiX said:
I got it. It has to be your FINAL orb meaning you lost 19 of them then win the stage when the last orb is basically going out the door.

Yeah, so it's easier if you try it in the poison core challenge mode (since there's only one core). That's how I managed to get it.

benjipwns

Banned
The fact that this thread keeps getting bumped due to the 360 release makes me sad.

Then I temper it with the fact that more people are playing the maybe best game of the last year.

And then I get over how I used the 360 controller for PC because mouse controls sucked and I ask everyone for a big group hug. Hopefully this will get a sequel now!

I'll have to try this Crystal Defenders that some of you think so highly of. I've largely ignorned it because of the theme. I played PixelJunk Monsters and absolutely hated the mechanic with the little guy running around the map collecting shit. Hated, hated, hated.

Defense Grid ranks up there with the best TD games I've played, and I think it's definitely the best retail TD game I've played.

Rlan

Snowball said:
Could you explain this better?
Thanks!

The more cores that sit in the little core bay, the more money you accrue in interest.

Got my 99 kills, man the framerate makes you feel a little sick in that mode :lol

Getting golds in the "hard mode" versions now for the achievement. I've been so close to get that stupid "last core" achievement. If your good at the game it makes you unlearn everything. I'm trying to get it on the second level at the moment by having all the enemies steal my shit and try to save one, but it's hard.

Top Bottom