• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro's Pacific Rim is the Godzilla movie GINO wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they can pull this off I'd like to see them try (AKA butcher) an Evangelion film.
I seem to remember someone saying earlier in the thread that this is recycling some of the assets/ideas from the previously aborted Eva movie. Someone also posted some spoilers about the plot and claimed it was Eva-ish, but I didn't want to spoil myself so they could have been full of shit.

hteng

Banned
So you were hoping for realistic western military designs when from the beginning everyone following the project has been expecting anime inspired giant humanoid robots with rocket punches and power swords? Okay!

lol who says realistic designs can't swing around big ass swords, throw rocket punches and being flashy overall?

duckroll

I don't mean how they look, as it was expected they would be humanoid from the beginning, but more how they move, I'm expecting some clunky shit, rather then like backflips and crazy sword play, or just about any kind of action scene from EVA.

I'd be totally cool with being wrong though, because honestly I don't really care how the Robots fight, I'm far more interested in the giant monsters.

But you said Gundam, not Eva. Gundams don't do backflips and they don't move like Evas. In fact, when they're not in space, Gundams are traditionally really clunky!

3N16MA

Banned
On the PPDC website it has dates next to all the Jaeger names.

Coyote Tango: 2015 12-30
Gipsy Danger: 2017 07-10
Cherno Alpha: 2018 07-04
Crimson Typhoon: 2018 08-22
Striker Eureka: 2019 11-02

Looks like the Japanese Jaeger was the first built and that explains it's simple design plus 1 pilot. Gipsy Danger most likely introduced dual pilots but is supposedly an obsolete model. Striker Eureka which is the Australian Jaeger is the last to be built and most advanced. Nice to see there is a reason behind the simplistic Japanese design.

hteng

Banned
If they kept the script as close as to the last time I read it, then there'll be lots of references to Evangelion you'll see in this film, thus practically rendering an EVA movie pointless.

so do we get the mind fuck of the last few episodes of eva in the movie?

edit: i just read your link, lol at the ending. I guess I'll have to watch it to see how it stacks up.

Replicant

so do we get the mind fuck of the last few episodes of eva in the movie?

In a big-budget Hollywood production? No one is that crazy.

Also, love that the 1st production of Jaeger starts in 2015. Yeah, there'd definitely be nods to EVA all over this film.

Khezu

But you said Gundam, not Eva. Gundams don't do backflips and they don't move like Evas. In fact, when they're not in space, Gundams are traditionally really clunky!

Oh, well whoops. Never really watched much Gundam, the only one I did watch much of was Seed when it was on Toonami, and I just remember the main character pulling off a lot of just fucking ridiculous bullshit.

nick nacc

Banned
It's hard to image those giant robots in motion not looking cheap and cg. They could always go shaky cam and help that. Then again, I am no director.

3N16MA

Banned
It's hard to image those giant robots in motion not looking cheap and cg. They could always go shaky cam and help that. Then again, I am no director.

They assembled some great talent on this film and have a huge budget. Even though this is a larger scale I'm more confident after seeing films like Transformers and Iron Man.

Platy

Crimson Typhoon bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

705143_520663591285105_1664363563_o.jpg

That arm dispossition don't make much sense ..... why put 2 normal arms next to each other and make the bizarre arm alone on the other side ?

Exchange a normal arm with the claw would make a HUGE sense

inky

So, it's that confirmed to be 2 left arms? I immediately thought it was 2 different views of the same arm. Granted, it's the only blueprint to show it that way, but still... makes more sense to me.

Raptor

That arm dispossition don't make much sense ..... why put 2 normal arms next to each other and make the bizarre arm alone on the other side ?

Exchange a normal arm with the claw would make a HUGE sense

Right arm is a canon or something if you look at it, I guess the other two arms is for grabbing and the other to straight up shoot at the face of the monster :p

duckroll

So, it's that confirmed to be 2 left arms? I immediately thought it was 2 different views of the same arm. Granted, it's the only blueprint to show it that way, but still... makes more sense to me.

Look at the shoulders on the left arms. It's definitely not 2 different views.

Puddles

Banned
Right arm is a canon or something if you look at it, I guess the other two arms is for grabbing and the other to straight up shoot at the face of the monster :p

It would make more sense to throttle the monster with two arms placed on opposite sides of the body, and then use the third arm to blast it in the face.

volpone

Banned
This movie is so completely insane in scope and plot that I can't help but love it.

It also comfortably side-steps the largest pitfall of making an Evangelion movie: having young teens play emotionally and mentally complex roles.

ptolemy

Why does everyone want this movie to be like other properties? Has del Toro said where we drawn the inspiration for the movie from?

volpone

Banned
It's funny how people act as if Evangelion invented the whole Giant Mech vs. Giant Monster thing.

I'm sorry I haven't watched enough obscure anime in my time. For a lot of people, Eva is simply the most visible point of reference. Even for those who haven't watched the show.

W_Dreamer

This movie is so completely insane in scope and plot that I can't help but love it.

It also comfortably side-steps the largest pitfall of making an Evangelion movie: having young teens play emotionally and mentally complex roles.

That's not the main pitfall, the main one would be requiring a predominantly Asian cast.

Amalthea

Banned
Yes, as the previous posters pointed out it's more often live-action than anime.

Here's a small list:

Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot (TV-Show)
tumblr_m6n60qeyb21qa6u1l0v.jpg

The Space Giants (TV-Show) The hero Goldar didn't only have long blonde hair but also could transform into a rocket!
robots_huge_goldar_moa7rto.jpg

King Kong Escapes (Feature film)
king-kong-s-est-echapbrrsq.jpg

Spectreman (TV-Show) A favourite of the Evangelion creator, he was Captain Planet before Captain Planet (just cooler)!
04_morre_ator_11591624eiq.jpg

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Feature film) The classic.
godzilla20vs.20mechagpti3h.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I doubt it will happen unless the marketing really gets people pumped. This whole thing has sort of a Scott Pilgrim vibe. Destined to be a huge cult classic.
I don't know if you're serious or not. If you are I want to know what you're smoking, there's a massive difference between a smaller movie based on a video game themed comic book staring Michael Cera, and a $200 million dollar movie that has giant robots fighting monsters.

Replicant

Yes, as the previous posters pointed out it's more often live-action than anime.

Here's a small list:

Never seen any of those. Besides, the script does contain a lot of EVA-related events/references. Well, at least the one that was out back then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how long do the monsters just wander around fucking stuff up while these countries research and develop giant robots? And what do they do that jets with big missiles can't?

(cant' wait for the movie, disbelief will be entirely suspended)

Amalthea

Banned
how long do the monsters just wander around fucking stuff up while these countries research and develop giant robots? And what do they do that jets with big missiles can't?

(cant' wait for the movie, disbelief will be entirely suspended)

Because Kaijus don't get hurt by conventional weapons. It's one of the reasons why the US Godzilla is hated so much by fans.

You often need melee combat to hit the weak point for massive damage. Missiles alone can't get to the important bits.

I don't know if you're serious or not. If you are I want to know what you're smoking, there's a massive difference between a smaller movie based on a video game themed comic book staring Michael Cera, and a $200 million dollar movie that has giant robots fighting monsters.

I dunno, I kinda get the feeling this is a potential bomba as well.

Ithil

I doubt it will happen unless the marketing really gets people pumped. This whole thing has sort of a Scott Pilgrim vibe. Destined to be a huge cult classic.

A bonkers, bizarre video game nerd-based movie about fighting evil ex-boyfriends, versus GIANT MONSTERS fighting GIANT ROBOTS with a 200 million budget?

This is anything but cult.

Scott Pilgrim was impossible to sell to a wide audience. Pacific Rim can be sold in five words, "giant robots fight giant monsters". Seems easy to market to me.

Enron

Banned
I didn't see anyone mention this yet...but....

Doesn't the Striker Eureka remind anyone of anything? Given the name as well...it can't be a coincidence.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think in all my years of coming to gaf, seeing people seethe that robot designs in a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters in the Pacific look too Japanese, is one of the most bizarre sights I have ever witnessed.

Ithil

From everything del Toro has said about how he shot the film, it sounds to me like the fights will be less Neon Genesis Evangelion and more Bokurano.

Which is fine by me.

Platy

A bonkers, bizarre video game nerd-based movie about fighting evil ex-boyfriends, versus GIANT MONSTERS fighting GIANT ROBOTS with a 200 million budget?

This is anything but cult.

Scott Pilgrim was impossible to sell to a wide audience. Pacific Rim can be sold in five words, "giant robots fight giant monsters". Seems easy to market to me.

Still only appeal to anime and godzilla fans ... wich IN THE USA is a very small percent.

I bet it will bomb in the USA and make huge money "overseas"

edit :

Yes, the 200 million dollar movie has to make MUCH MORE money to be sucessfull

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Still only appeal to anime and godzilla fans ... wich IN THE USA is a very small percent.

I bet it will bomb in the USA and make huge money "overseas"

edit :

Yes, the 200 million dollar movie has to make MUCH MORE money to be sucessfull

Even one of the most poorly reviewed movies I can even think of, did reasonable bank in the US and made a fortune internationally. And it was SHIT. And everyone thought it was shit. Pacific Rim actually has the opportunity to be GOOD.

Godzilla (Emmerich)

Domestic Total Gross: $136,314,294

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom