• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro's Pacific Rim is the Godzilla movie GINO wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaegers look nice but it would be great if Canada had it's own. However I'm sure that we are so polite that the Kaiju's just left us alone and we had no need to build one.

Hey they just released a photo of the Canadian Jaeger!!

SCIENCE_hockeybot_Lagace.png

3N16MA

Banned
It's been confirmed that the Australian Jaeger is the most advanced. The U.S. Jaeger is a supposedly obsolete model (it was in the synopsis).

EDIT: Also I just noticed the Australian one is easily the tallest at 352 ft.

Hey they just released a photo of the Canadian Jaeger!!

SCIENCE_hockeybot_Lagace.png

I will take it.

ultron87

Aaw, so that means the cool Australian one is going to get killed 1/3 of the way through to show that the situation is serious.

Mondriaan

If you look carefully at the Russian Jaeger, you'll notice that the head (where the pilots are) is underneath a huge ushanka/hat/jet turbine looking thing.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thats exactly whats happening

Yes, basically the movie is about how at some point in the future GIANT MONSTERS start coming out of the ocean and destroying entire cities. To fight back, humanity starts building GIANT ROBOTS to fight them. There will be a variety of different designs for each GIANT MONSTER and each GIANT ROBOT complete with their own unique attacks.

Wow then sign me up because GIANT MONSTERS and GIANT ROBOTS fighting sounds awesome as hell.

mjc

I'd be ok with Hollywood having a giant monster movie movement if this turns out to be a huge success.

The mechs look too japanese and/or humanoid for my taste. Would've preferred a mechwarrior style. This looks kinda silly, why would the giant robots be this humanoid?

Ah well. Still hyped. I LOVE monster movies. Hope it's like Jurassic Park in terms of cheese, i.e. slightly cheesy but not too much.

duckroll

So I checked the old Comic Con liveblogs, and it says there'll be about 9 monsters, and 6-7 robots in the movie. They've shown 5 blueprints so far. Are they done, or are they going to reveal 2 more in the next day or so?

So I checked the old Comic Con liveblogs, and it says there'll be about 9 monsters, and 6-7 robots in the movie. They've shown 5 blueprints so far. Are they done, or are they going to reveal 2 more in the next day or so?

There has to be at least one more robot. I'm guessing the main characters get an upgraded mech to use near the end of the film.

hteng

Banned
ew, the designs are ugly, i was hoping for more industrial like design similar to heavy loaders / tanks / walkers ie: Power Armor in Aliens or the prawn power armor in district 9 or armored core 5 designs.

duckroll

ew, the designs are ugly, i was hoping for more industrial like design similar to heavy loaders / tanks / walkers ie: Power Armor in Aliens or the prawn power armor in district 9 or armored core 5 designs.

So you were hoping for realistic western military designs when from the beginning everyone following the project has been expecting anime inspired giant humanoid robots with rocket punches and power swords? Okay!

Khezu

Okay Khezu, what now? :)

I don't mean how they look, as it was expected they would be humanoid from the beginning, but more how they move, I'm expecting some clunky shit, rather then like backflips and crazy sword play, or just about any kind of action scene from EVA.

I'd be totally cool with being wrong though, because honestly I don't really care how the Robots fight, I'm far more interested in the giant monsters.

So the Cherno Alpha is Russian

Striker Eureka is Australian

Coyote Tango is Japanese

Gypsy Danger is American

And the Crimson Typoon is Chinese?

Fuck. I've totally been trying to ignore everything about this film until duckroll started posting stuff on Twitter.

I grew up watching Godzilla flicks. That's part of the reason I ended up studying Japanese and moving to Japan. It's how I got started writing (for old kaiju sites like Gojistomp, Tokyomonsters, Scifi Japan). To see a big budget film like this come together fills me with a deep sense of joy that's hard to express in words.

I cannot wait for this fucking movie. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom