• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deleting the flash memory three times killed my Custom Firmware PSP (who'd've thunk?)

I don't know really, I think it did.

So. Two days ago I read that WipEout Pulse was released in Euroland. I decided to pick it up and once I got home I put the game in my PSP. It required a firmware update, 3.71 to be exactly. I didn't want to go the legal route (i love me some Mega Drive Sonic) so I searched the internet for the latest Custom Firmwares. Apparently Dark_AleX and his team already released a 3.71 M33-4 or something like that. I installed it and everything worked fine. I played some Pulse listening to my own custom soundtrack and then I thought about Beats (the rythm game which is for sale in the PSP store). That's where it went wrong.

It's 8 euro (which is NOT the equivalent of 5USD) on the European PS Store, so I wanted to see what the hype was all about by checking the trailer first (also available in the store). It required to connect my PSP to the PC. I did that and it told me that I had insufficient memory storage, while I had like 462mb of free space. I rebooted my PSP, reconnected it and again ''Insufficient Memory''. So I browsed my PSP and saw that all of the directories were gone (PSP, Music, Photo, etc) instead of the usual directories there were three I had never seen before. One of them was called ''vsh'', I think I saw this mentioned when looking up for info about custom firmwares. So I knew everything wasn't alright. I decided to give up all of my savegames and format my Memory Stick, I did it through my PSP, PC and PS3. So that's three times of formatting for one memory stick. And the three directories were still showing up!! I decided to remove them manually (right click -> remove). That did work. And then my PSP turned into shit. It wouldn't turn anymore since that very moment. All I'm getting now is a black screen and the green power LED. Nothing else.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Did the PlayStation Store somehow detect that my PSP was running Custom Firmware and decided to fuck it up? Does anyone else have had a similar situation? What should I do next, is Pandora's battery a safe option (I'm able to borrow a friend's PSP, but I'm afraid to brick another one)?

Any help is welcome.

Sorry for my broken English btw.

sounds like you were somehow browsing flash0 and when you 'erased everything from your memory stick' you actually erased everything from flash0.

FoxhoundNL said:
So that's three times of formatting for one memory stick. And the three directories were still showing up!! I decided to remove them manually (right click -> remove). That did work.

this is what makes me think you were browsing your flash0. not only because vsh and all that is in flash0, but because you formatted your memory stick 3 times and this was still showing, it couldn't have been on your memory stick. you know?

Link1110

Sounds like you somehow set the usb mode to flash, and you deleted the psp's firmware when you deleted the 3 directories.

The best way is just to get a pc card reader (Not expensive at all) and put the memory stick in there.

Seems like it's my own fault then, if you guys say so. But how in the hell did I get in ''Flash0''? Everything was fine before, I was even able to to put music on my memory stick, before entering the PSStore. I can't remember I've been in Recovery Mode either, I only had the CF installed for maybe two hours.

I can't go back to Sony I guess, my PSP is one and half year old. Would I get a new one if I'd call them the 18th of december (Official FW3.80 release) and say they messed up my PSP with their latest firmware? I know it's an unethical thing to do, but hey if I can get a new PSP I'd do that.

If that doesn't work. How is Pandora's battery? Is it safe to make a Pandora's battery or could I fuck up another PSP? Does it actually work, will it give my PSP a 2nd life?

Hum... you should always format your memory stick before and after installing custom firmwares.

But "vhs" :S That's flash territory. I'm guessing some bug made you access the flash through USB mode and you deleted the flash memory.

*edit* JodyAnthony already said the same :p

Chris_C

PlayStation Store. Services you Right!

Must eat, then poop, then eat some more, then eat while pooping.

M3wThr33

Banned
Is this a joke thread?

You can't possibly be this stupid.

You see files you've never seen before and your first instinct is to DELETE them? Serves you right.

Hitting Select on the XMB brings up a menu to toggle clock speed and flash memory access. You probably futzed around with that menu in your idiocy.

M3wThr33 said:
Is this a joke thread?

You can't possibly be this stupid.

You see files you've never seen before and your first instinct is to DELETE them? Serves you right.

Hitting Select on the XMB brings up a menu to toggle clock speed and flash memory access. You probably futzed around with that menu in your idiocy.
I'm not some geek spending all this spare time on hacking or stuff like that. I'm just a guy who likes to play videogames. And I figured that since the files were on the memorystick (I didn't know I was in my flash, still don't know how I got there) it wouldn't matter what I'd do with it.

Thanks for your help, sir. You were of great help.

Edit. And no I've not hit the Select button, I haven't touched that since the multiplayer of Syphon Filter DM. And, until now, I didn't even know you're able to make adjustments that way. Like I said. I upgraded to 3.71M33-4, popped in WipEout, went to the PlayStation store and then my PSP bricked. I haven't been in the Recovery Mode, I haven't hit the Select button.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
What are your PSP symptoms right know? Does it power on with no display?
If you hold down R-Trigger while turining PSP does it boot to Recovery Menu?

navanman said:
The screen stays black, I can see the backlight turn on though. And the Green Power LED turns on too.

Doesn't boot to recovery.

Edit, I just checked again, and the backlight DOESN'T turn on. I also don't hear any disc spinning. So the only sign I can see when trying to turn on my PSP is the green power led.

navanman

Pandora Battery will fix your PSP back to full operation.
The only problem is do you have access to another modded PSP?

M3wThr33

Banned
navanman said:

Symptoms? He bricked the PSP. He deleted the entire flash0.

navanman said:
Pandora Battery will fix your PSP back to full operation.
The only problem is do you have access to another modded PSP?
I have access to another modded PSP, yes. But I have to be absolutely sure that making a Pandora's battery is safe. I don't really mind my PSP being bricked but I hate to brick the one of my friend.

Is it easy? Is it safe? Will it work? That's all I need to see answered, please.

Mewthree GTFO, please.

M3wThr33

Banned
A Pandora battery is more than safe. Upon release it emptied eBay of all the bricked and broken PSPs.

It writes to a little bit of flash on a battery to make it run a program off of a memory stick to rebuild the flash memory. That means it can recover ANY PSP and can put custom firmware on ANY psp.

The only issue is remembering to convert the battery BACK to normal.

navanman

OK you are in luck, Mejilan and I have been putting togehter a fool-proof Pandora tutorial. Its not fully complete but I'll post it in few minutes.
Its completely safe and noob-proof.

navanman

************* THIS GUIDE WILL NOT WORK ON 3.80, 3.90 M33 FIRMWARE DUE TO CHANGES IN IPL IN SONY 3.80 & 3.90 FIRMWARE ********************

How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Universal Pandora Memory Stick (UPMS):

Intro
Okay folks, this is my first tutorial here. I've decided to write this tutorial as the question how do I install CFW on my new PSP Slim is appearing more and more on these forums. The old downgraders that we used to use on the old phat PSP don't work with the new Slim or any phat PSP with firmware greater than 3.50. As you may know or have heard Dark_Alex and Team C+D came with the Pandora Battery and in this tutorial we are going to make a Pandora Battery setup developed by BRONZ3gh0st and OverfiendX called UPMS. So lets begin,

What you'll need:
- Any PSP with CFW installed, it doesn't matter if its a phat or slim PSP.
- Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 256MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum)

What to do:
1. Download the UPMS package from UPMS webpage at UPMS Project Website
2. Extract the CSO file from the zip package and place in the ISO folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS)
3. We then need to download the Sony 1.5FW and Sony 3.71FW and rename them to 150.PBP and 371.PBP.
4. Place the 150, 371.PBP in root/base level of the MS.
5. Then run the CSO called "UPMS Installer" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
6. A menu will appear with 4 steps, we want to complete the first 3.
7. Select Step 1 (IPL Tools) and install the "Sleep Fix Multi-IPL to Memory Stick", then back to Main Menu.
8. Select Step 2 (Battery Tools) and choose "Create Pandora Battery (Service Mode)", then back to Main Menu.
9. Select Step 3 (Firmware Tools) and choose "Install U.P.M.S with Utilities (Slowest)". It will take a few minutes to install and lots of scrolling text will appear on the PSP screen.
10. When thats finished you can go back to the Main Menu and exit the Installer. Remove the MS and Battery from CFW PSP.

How to use:

For Slim: (MS and Battery removed)

1. Turn off PSP and insert Pandora MS.
2. Slide PSP power switch to Hold Position with yellow dot showing.
3. Hold down L-Trigger.
4. Insert Pandora Battery.
5. When MS light starts flashing orange, release L-Trigger.
6. Despertar Cementerio V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash to Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
7. Move PSP power switch to regular position.
8. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 64MB of free space for this. When this is finished your PSP will power off.
9. Repeat steps 2-7 and you will be presented with Despertar Cementerio V3 menu again.
10. Press X to flash PSP with 3.71 M33.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

For Phat:(MS and Battery removed)

1.Turn off PSP and insert Pandora MS.
2.Hold down L-Trigger.
3.Insert Pandora Battery.
4.UPMS Main Menu should then choose 3rd Menu Option, Despertar Cementerio V3.
5.DC V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
6.Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 32MB of free space for this. Your PSP will power off after this.
7.Repeat steps 2-5 and press X to flash PSP with 3.71 M33

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This UPMS package has one great feature in that if you don't hold down L-Trigger when you insert Pandora Battery it will boot your PSP as per normal. The MS will act as normal, you can put all your ISOs, emulators on it and play them fine. In the event you brick your PSP, you can repeat the steps in "How to Use" and re-flash your PSP.

Updating 3.71 M33 firmware:
At the time of writing this tutorial, 3.71 M33-4 has just been released and includes some important fixes for your CFW PSP.
1. Download the M33-4 update from Dark_Alex website.
2. Extract the contents and you should have a folder called UPDATE.
3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
4. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the M33-4 updater.

Installing POPSloader for 3.71 M33:
1. Download the POPS archive that Mejidan uploaded and extract the contents.
2. Copy the SEPLUGINS folder to root of your Memory Stick (ms0:)
3. Download the multi-disc pops fix from here.
4. Copy the SEPLUGINS folder to root of your MS, overwriting the files when prompted.
5. Bring up M33 VSH MENU by pressing SELECT.
6. Hold down R-Trigger and select RESET DEVICE.
7. M33 Recovery Menu will appear, scroll down to Plugins and enable popsloader.prx [POPS].
8. Select BACK and then EXIT to reboot PSP.

Installing 1.5FW (homebrew) addon:
WARNING: THIS IS FOR PHAT PSP ONLY, DO NOT RUN ON SLIM
1. Download the 1.5FW V2 addon from Dark_Alex website.
2. Extract the contents and you should see an UPDATE folder.
3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
4. Copy the Sony 1.5FW called 150.PBP that we used to make UPMS to root of MS (ms0:)
5. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the 1.50 V2 installer

Remote play fix for PSP with PS3 FW 2.10:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rrybif
1. Open recovery menu on PSP (Reset PSP with R-Trigger held down)
2. Connect USB cable from PC to PSP
3. Go to Advanced
4. Select Toggle USB (flash0). A new window should pop up on your PC. Make sure you have "show hidden files and folders" selected and untick "hide protected operating system files" also in tools/folder options.
5. Replace premo_plugin.prx (vsh\module) and premo_plugin.rco (vsh\resource) with the ones you have in the download link.
6. Select Toggle USB (flash0) to disable
7. Restart PSP

bryehn

I've downloaded two games from the PSStore onto my 3.71 M33-4 PSPs. Well two games twice...seems it "signs" the game when you download it. If you have 2 PSPs, you need to download twice.

Anyways, other than having to toggle USB from the XMB instead of recovery I've had no issues at all.

Gattsu25

Banned
navanman said:
How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Universal Pandora Memory Stick (UPMS):

Intro
Okay folks, this is my first tutorial here. I've decided to write this tutorial as the question how do I install CFW on my new PSP Slim is appearing more and more on these forums. The old downgraders that we used to use on the old phat PSP don't work with the new Slim or any phat PSP with firmware greater than 3.50. As you may know or have heard Dark_Alex and Team C & D came with the Pandora Battery and in this tutorial we are going to make a Pandora Battery setup developed by BRONZ3gh0st and OverfiendX called UPMS. So lets begin,

What you'll need:

What to do:
1. Download the UPMS package from UPMS webpage at MaxConsole
2. Extract the CSO file from the zip package and place in the ISO folder of your PSPs Memory Stick (MS)
3. We then need to download the Sony 1.5FW and Sony 3.71FW and rename them to 150.PBP and 371.PBP.
5. Then run the CSO called "UPMS Installer" from your PSP by browsing to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB.
7. Select Step 1 (IPL Tools) and install the "Sleep Fix Multi-IPL to Memory Stick", then back to Main Menu.
8. Select Step 2 (Battery Tools) and choose "Create Pandora Battery (Service Mode)", then back to Main Menu.
9. Select Step 3 (Firmware Tools) and choose "Install U.P.M.S with Utilities (Slowest)". It will take a few minutes to install and lots of scrolling text will appear on the PSP screen.
10. When thats finished you can go back to the Main Menu and exit the Installer. Remove the MS and Battery from CFW PSP.

How to use:

3. Hold down L-Trigger.
6. Despertar Cementerio V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash to Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
8. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 64MB of free space for this. When this is finished your PSP will power off.
9. Repeat steps 2-7 and you will be presented with Despertar Cementerio V3 menu again.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

2.Hold down L-Trigger.
5.DC V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
6.Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 32MB of free space for this. Your PSP will power off after this.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This UPMS package has one great feature in that if you don't hold down L-Trigger when you insert Pandora Battery it will boot your PSP as per normal. The MS will act as normal, you can put all your ISOs on it and play them fine. In the event you brick your PSP, you can repeat the steps in "How to Use" and re-flash your PSP.

One word of warning though. I cant confirm 100% but I've heard that if you make Pandora Battery using Slim PSP battery and try to use it on phat PSP, your phat PSP will blow an internal fuse, damage the power circuits.
That is most useful, indeed!

Thanks Navaman and Mejilan, I think I'll be able to do this, doesn't look too hard.

Just one last question: Does it matter what Custom Firmware I'm running on the PSP I will use to make the Pandora Battery? That friend I was talking earlier about still has 3.03OE-A on it, do I have to upgrade to a greater CF, or will this work just as fine?

Many thanks again, you just saved me 169$ :).

bryehn

FoxhoundNL said:
Thanks Navaman and Mejilan, I think I'll be able to do this, doesn't look too hard.

Just one last question: Does it matter what Custom Firmware I'm running on the PSP I will use to make the Pandora Battery? That friend I was talking earlier about still has 3.03OE-A on it, do I have to upgrade to a greater CF, or will this work just as fine?

Many thanks again, you just saved me 169$ :).

Pretty sure it really doesn't matter what CFW you're using to create the battery. Think I was at 3.5 when I did it.

navanman

I fixed the link to the UPMS program as the link had changed since yesterday. The change is reflected in my original post.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Whoa, I never even saw this thread. For the record, I had nothing to do with that tutorial above. Navanman is being kind in partially crediting me. All I did was proofread it and suggest a couple of changes/clarifications. The structure and content of that readme are 99% Navanman's, and he did a truly fantastic job on it.

Much clearer and simpler than the tutorials I wound up using a few weeks ago. I do hope it helps you guys, however! UPMS is pretty damn amazing.

Mejilan

NO!

This battery and mem stick are now paired, and need each other. Especially, do not delete the folders added to your mem stick!

You can get rid of the UPMS CSO though, if you really want to free up 25mbs of space.

Banned
Great tutorial. So, I've just used it to "downgrade" my custom firmware PSP to the official firmware. Am I ok to just install the latest official one? Should I leave the battery as is, or restore it to being a "normal" one again?

EDIT: Tells me it can't find the memory stick when I try to upgrade to 3.73

Mejilan

Sorry, can't help you there. I'd rather castrate myself than gimp my PSP like you propose. :lol

navanman

Mejilan said:
Sorry, can't help you there. I'd rather castrate myself than gimp my PSP like you propose. :lol

HAHA. Can I ask why you want to put OFW 3.73 firmware on your PSP?
3.71 M33-4 includes all the minor fixes and improvements in 3.72/3.73

Banned
Mejilan said:
Except for the updated Remote Play, which is easily added in manually.
Ah, didn't know you could add it in. Any info on how to do it?

Back to 3.71 M33-4 now anyway, battery back to normal and wiped the stick. Re-activated the console on PSN and everything seems ok.

gtmax

I had reformatted the stick shorty after that post i made. I had backed up all of the info, but now i don't remember where all the folders belong.

I'm now going to smash my head against the wall. I have an extra battery though. My original PSP is not playing the ISO of games right now. my friend's PSP is perfect.

navanman said:

Intro
Okay folks, this is my first tutorial here. I've decided to write this tutorial as the question how do I install CFW on my new PSP Slim is appearing more and more on these forums. The old downgraders that we used to use on the old phat PSP don't work with the new Slim or any phat PSP with firmware greater than 3.50. As you may know or have heard Dark_Alex and Team C & D came with the Pandora Battery and in this tutorial we are going to make a Pandora Battery setup developed by BRONZ3gh0st and OverfiendX called UPMS. So lets begin,

What you'll need:

What to do:
1. Download the UPMS package from UPMS webpage at UPMS Project Website

How to use:

3. Hold down L-Trigger.

2.Hold down L-Trigger.

This UPMS package has one great feature in that if you don't hold down L-Trigger when you insert Pandora Battery it will boot your PSP as per normal. The MS will act as normal, you can put all your ISOs on it and play them fine. In the event you brick your PSP, you can repeat the steps in "How to Use" and re-flash your PSP.

One word of warning though. I cant confirm 100% but I've heard that if you make Pandora Battery using Slim PSP battery and try to use it on phat PSP, your phat PSP will blow an internal fuse, damage the power circuits.

hey so this worked great. my question is: how do i un-pandora my battery?

navanman

Run the UPMS program again; Step 2 and either restore eeprom from ms0:/eeprom.bin or convert to normal.

"hey so this worked great. my question is: how do i un-pandora my battery?"

Why unpandora it? If you use the same memory stick it'll work like a normal battery.

Mejilan

Could potentially be a pain in the ass if someone owns multiple memory sticks that they rotate in and out.

whats the deal with cps2 on slim? i downloaded the new emu, but all of my caches no longer work. fair enough, but where do i get the new cache creator?

wow, i totally missed this thread... dude deleted his flash0 lol!

did he ever get it unbricked!?

Barkley's Justice said:
whats the deal with cps2 on slim? i downloaded the new emu, but all of my caches no longer work. fair enough, but where do i get the new cache creator?
you don't use caches on the slim, the emu uses the extra ram the slim has.

Top Bottom