• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delivery charge age: I just paid $19.00 for a $12 pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Large pizza: $11.99

Tax: $1.98 (welcome to Canada)

Delivery charge: $3.25

Total: $17.22 + tip.

Really? There's a mandatory surcharge of 27% just to have some guy drive the pizza here? A guy who then expects to be tipped an additional 10-15% of that total? It's like I just paid 50% tax.

This was Pizza Pizza, for those wondering. I basically have two choices here: either I don't order from them again (I'm stuck at the office most weekends and they're one of only two choices for pizza delivery in my area) or I don't tip the driver and tell him to address his concerns to his organization.

When did this sort of thing become okay? Sure, it's "only" $3.25, but not too long ago it was $2, and I'm sure by this time next year it'll be $4. This shit's getting out of hand.

I'm guessing that's a result of shitty tippers.

Any places that have a significant delivery charge I tend to give a smaller tip. The drivers usually do see most of the delivery charge. (The places I'm familiar with anyway)

I agree, pizza prices are outrageous. $12.00 for a large pizza is pretty expensive IMO, I usually use coupons and get one topping pizzas for about $8 or so, then go pick it up. I had one for a $6.00 large one topping from Papa John's a week or so ago, pretty kickass.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SlaughterX said:
That's why you pick it up yourself if you don't want to pay extra for the delivery fee and tip...
^

Delivery typically doubles the price in my experience and that's not including the tip.

I've never tipped a pizza delivery guy in my life. The most they get is the less than 50p change I can't be bothered waiting for. You North Americans are being taken for a ride.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Our Pizza places have been ratcheting up costs. An extra large pizza now costs $25, basically (Pagliacci) and I have kinda had it with them.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I basically have two choices here: either I don't order from them again

Uh, no duh, homeslice. Don't order from places with a delivery charge. If you can't find a place that doesn't charge one, you live in East Podunkistan and you're stuck driving to get your own damn pizza.

LukeSmith

OuterWorldVoice said:
Our Pizza places have been ratcheting up costs. An extra large pizza now costs $25, basically (Pagliacci) and I have kinda had it with them.

Seattle Pizza industry is recession proof.

OuterWorldVoice said:

I love Pagliacci and Zeke's, but they've gotten too pricey lately. Especially Zeke's. We typically get pizza from Papa John's or Garlic Jim's now. Every once in a while we'll splurge and get the best pizza in Seattle at Zagi's or Tutta Bella.

Oh, I always pick up the pizza. Eliminates delivery charges and having to tip the guy.

Articate

Banned
In Norway a large pizza costs 30$ and delivery is 8$.

So, yeah.

Oh, and dear god. Domino's is the worst pizza I've ever had. I've got Norway's best Pizza place really adjacent, though (there a large pizza is 20-30$ and I pick it up), so I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to pizza.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
20.gif

Comedyworks said:
Yeah if I were the driver I would have gave him the biggest "What a D-bag" look ever.
I used to do that all the time at this pizza place on my college campus.

I need the dollar for the pop machine dammit!

gwiz210

I remember this one time a delivery guy complained about his $5 dollar tip on a $9 pizza. That guy has delivered to me many times sense then and I haven't tipped him sense.

eznark

Banned
gwiz210 said:
I remember this one time a delivery guy complained about his $5 dollar tip on a $9 pizza. That guy has delivered to me many times sense then and I haven't tipped him sense.

that is sinceless

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
TheGreatDave said:
I've never tipped a pizza delivery guy in my life. The most they get is the less than 50p change I can't be bothered waiting for. You North Americans are being taken for a ride.
Pretty much, though do we really need another tipping thread.

LukeSmith said:
So you gave the guy a 20 and really needed that dollar back?

No, I gave him $19 because I had change, and because that works out to a 15% tip on the actual pizza. I suppose I could have paid $20 for a $12 pizza to show how cool and above petty concerns like money I am though.

SlaughterX said:
That's why you pick it up yourself if you don't want to pay extra for the delivery fee and tip...

Like I said, I'm stuck in the office. If I could have left, I would have gotten real food.

eznark said:
you are a cheap mother fucker

:lol Post a recording of the next time you order pizza or GTFO.

Pizza chick on the phone: "And the delivery charge will be $3.25"

eznark: "What!? Do you think me homeless? A flea-bitten vagabond wandering the streets, festering in my own excrement-stained zoobaz? A $5 delivery charge, and I'll accept not a whit less. And is it alright if I tip the driver in platinum bars? Only cheap motherfuckers have any sense of economic scale."

gwiz210 said:

Why in the fuck would you still get pizzas delivered?

There's no telling what you have eaten.

WickedAngel said:
Why in the fuck would you still get pizzas delivered?

There's no telling what you have eaten.
Please tell me you have some paranoid delusion about the quality of your food when it's delivered.

I've never understood the delivery charge.

If you want me to order your $15 pizza that costs you $3 to make, delivery better be included.

I get far less delivery than I used to. If I order a pizza, I pick it up myself.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I've never understood the delivery charge.

If you want me to order your $15 pizza that costs you $3 to make, delivery better be included.

I get far less delivery than I used to. If I order a pizza, I pick it up myself.
It all comes down to whether I want to leave the house or not.

Blader5489 said:
That's my stand on it.

I'm willing to bet that the delivery guy doesn't see a cent of that "delivery charge".

sublime085 said:
Please tell me you have some paranoid delusion about the quality of your food when it's delivered.

Please tell me you aren't stupid enough to believe that stiffing a minimum wager on his tip and continuing to order food through that business via delivery is anything but a bad idea.

Food tampering isn't common among sit-down restaurants because there is usually too much activity and supervision, but a delivery driver? They're alone with your food for quite some time.

WickedAngel said:
I'm willing to bet that the delivery guy doesn't see a cent of that "delivery charge".

Please tell me you aren't stupid enough to believe that stiffing a minimum wager on his tip and continuing to order food through that business via delivery is anything but a bad idea.

Food tampering isn't common among sit-down restaurants because there is usually too much activity and supervision, but a delivery driver? They're alone with your food for quite some time.
When I delivered pizzas in HS I got 1.50 of the 2.50 delivery charge.

And pizzas are wrapped and stapled shut at the restaurant. How could you even open a pizza without someone knowing?

edit: and I never tampered with a single item of food in my 6 years in the food service industry. you're a touch paranoid.

WickedAngel said:

I'm developing a new theory here, hear me out:

You see, this whole notion of tipping delivery guys for a job for which they are already paid commensurate with the experience, training and skills required suggests that they are of a lower class and need to be supported by those with "real" jobs.

This is classism plain and simple, which creates a recurring feedback loop to their sense of powerlessness and a lack of self worth which manifests as not just as an expectation of financial support, but a sense of moral outrage should it not be forthcoming to a sufficient degree, projecting their own false notions of impotence outward.

Therefore, by not tipping, one is actually saying that they recognize the delivery guy as a socioeconomic equal, one who is worthy of respect and belief in their capability for independence, self sufficiency and inner strength. The non-tip becomes a token of empowerment, which leads to growth of character and social competency.

They'd buy that if I said that at the door, right? It works for right wing political parties.

Tobor

eznark said:
you are a cheap mother fucker

BINGO.

I bet the OP is also one of those guys who bitches that a small bottle of soda at the convenience store costs the same as a whole 2 liter at the supermarket.

demigod

sublime085 said:

And pizzas are wrapped and stapled shut at the restaurant. How could you even open a pizza without someone knowing?

edit: and I never tampered with a single item of food in my 6 years in the food service industry. you're a touch paranoid.

Most of you are missing the point. Why is there even a delivery charge? Who is getting that other $1, the company? WHY?

Anyone even remember the days when there were FREE DELIVERY? I used to tip 3-4 dollars, now only 2 because there's already a delivery charge for god knows why.

Tobor said:
BINGO.

I bet the OP is also one of those guys who bitches that a small bottle of soda at the convenience store costs the same as a whole 2 liter at the supermarket.

:lol I fucking love this site.

GAF Poster: I don't like my Christmas gifts, they suck.

GAF: You're an asshole! My father throws bricks at me for Christmas! So many people like us don't have the money to give anything!

GAF Poster: Wow, this service charge is way out of whack for what I'm actually getting.

GAF: You're a cheap motherfucker! You should throw money around! I ate a $10 bill this morning just because I could! Pizza guy shows up? Make it rain, motherfucker!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sublime085 said:
uh what?

Is this a foreign concept?

Pizza sealed and stapled shut? I have never heard of this until now. I have only ever seen pizza delivered in a large, flat, cardboard container, unsealed except by gravity and friction.

sublime085 said:

I don't know where you worked, but none of the big-name pizza stores do this on delivery. Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Little Caesars, Hungry Howie's (And so on and so forth) do not wrap and staple their delivery pizzas. They throw them in thermal pouches, give them to the delivery guy, and have him fulfill the order.

I love how you project your personal experiences onto the entire realm of the food service industry (As if you're the only person who has ever worked within it). Hell, I've never had a flat tire on any vehicle that I've owned...does that mean that flat tires are a myth?

WickedAngel said:
I don't know where you worked, but none of the big-name pizza stores do this on delivery. Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Little Caesars, Hungry Howie's (And so on and so forth) do not wrap and staple their delivery pizzas. They throw them in thermal pouches, give them to the delivery guy, and have him fulfill the order.
Really? Everywhere around here staples the two ends of the receipt around the seam of the box, so you have to rip the receipt off to open the box. Or the pizza is put in a paper bag and stapled at the end. I guess it's not like that everywhere?

I love how you project your personal experiences onto the entire realm of the food service industry (As if you're the only person who has ever worked within it). Hell, I've never had a flat tire on any vehicle that I've owned...does that mean that flat tires are a myth?
No of course not. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop driving because I may get a flat tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom