• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats Are Desperate for Bernie Sanders' Email List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

What do you think the all out offensive will entail? Will it include not going after rogue senators that broke ranks? Will it include being passive because "we don't have a chance anyway?" It's this yellow-bellied, roll over and beg for an ass beating from the republicunts that makes the Democrats look like fools. The current president is perhaps the most scandal ridden, most hated, easily unraveled person to ever sit in the Oval Office. And yet, they aren't currently attacking him. They should be on fire right now, burning this orange buffoon and provoking him into making more mistakes. Being silent tells the nation they are weak and have no power. Just because they do not command a majority, they aren't powerless. They are only powerless because they choose to be so.

What in the hell? Are we looking at two different Democratic parties?

tbm24

It's pretty hard to stomach the back and forth in this thread given how the first 3 weeks of the Trump presidency has gone. Either you work against him or you don't at this point. If an email list is a net positive towards that, then I'm not understanding the problem.

Savitar

The Democrats need massive changes and so far, have they done anything to really correct the reasons why they didn't win?

So far it feels like they're still in denial and not really making the steps they need to do.

It's pretty hard to stomach the back and forth in this thread given how the first 3 weeks of the Trump presidency has gone. Either you work against him or you don't at this point. If an email list is a net positive towards that, then I'm not understanding the problem.

I agree. Its just kind of frustrating. Real lives are at stake and we are still stuck in 2016 dealing with hurt feelings.

The DNC didn't earn the e-mail list. Or something. That's what I've gathered from most.

Again.

This is a strategy of trying to say that jeb! or Rubio is no different than an extremist like Cruz or Trump. It's leading Jeb! or Rubio to take more extremist positions that would hurt them in the general. It's not, like, somehow promoting Trump on cable news.

The flaw of that theory is in thinking Cruz or Trump's views are seen as "extreme". I think Jeb, Kasich, O'Malley etc prove that there is no appetite for a "moderate" candidate on either side any more. Both sides want ideologues.

Oh no, don't mistake me; I have nothing BUT scorn for the Democratic party right now. They keep crossing lines to "work with" scummy Republicans foolishly thinking that they'll be rewarded with some crucial "leverage" later, only to get nothing but a frustrated base in return. The Democratic party right now is deserving of scorn and is in dire need of a culling.

But I'm not wasting that scorn on the DNC wanting Bernie's email list. Of course they want it. Who wouldn't want it?

Yeah, I don't get all the ridicule and incredulity in this thread. It seems pretty obvious that they'd want his list, and considering that he basically ran as a Democrat and presumably works a lot with it's party members, from a legislative perspective, I don't see the problem with them sharing resources or collaborating.

Let's be real

There were a lot of Hillary supporters here that were pretty biased and had a tendency to shout down other posters during the campaign last year

it's my humble observation that this is still happening

like, why people. why

The flaw of that theory is in thinking Cruz or Trump's views are seen as "extreme". I think Jeb, Kasich, O'Malley etc prove that there is no appetite for a "moderate" candidate on either side any more. Both sides want ideologues.

Oh definitely. I'm just saying that it wasn't some nefarious backfire that was another example of the DNC's incompetence. It just was like, trying to saying Jeb or Marco were just as extreme as the rest of their party. Which is a fine campaign decision? Though it became clear relative early that lol Jeb and Rubio's 3-2-2-4-5-4-1!-6-4 strategy was lol.

royalan

Let's be real

There were a lot of Hillary supporters here that were pretty biased and had a tendency to shout down other posters during the campaign last year

like, why people. why

The reverse is also true.

MIMIC

Banned
I say give them the dang list. I will literally vote for the first person that stands a shot against Trump, unqualified or not. Just as long as they aren't incompetent.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
A email list is not that hard to make..... at all.

The issue is would people want your email? Which is usually no unless they signed up for it directly..... also fun fact most people let emails go to spam unless its work related or from a personal acquaintance.

I say give them the dang list. I will literally vote for the first person that stands a shot against Trump, unqualified or not. Just as long as they aren't incompetent.
Yeah, I mean, there are downticket candidates who need it and the energy is there.

Though maybe it'd be better to have Bernie send an email to his donor list about said candidates.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When you quote words without understanding context, does it actually matter? Because that's what you've spent countless pages doing.

Did I take the quote out of context? Does it require extra context to spin that strategy to look like it wasn't actually a mistake? A lot of other publications seem to view it similarly.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-2016-donald-trump-214428

https://medium.com/@CaptainStack/if...-it-should-bother-you-cf470429885d#.1wo6grzdk

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/10/11/elevating-trump/

Let's be real

like, why people. why

The reverse is also true.

Yes there was bad behavior on both sides. Can we just get over hurt feelings and move the fuck on?

This is the correct mindset.

Miracle

Let's be real

like, why people. why

It's shameful. What makes it even more disappointing is most here still have yet to realize that. And as long as that mindset continues, the GOP will continue their rise in power corruption while this country keeps becoming fascist by the day.

KingV

This has been posted ad nauseum in this thread. Do people really not realize that this email list can help the DNC learn from what Bernie did? In fact, it's probably the best resource in existence to do exactly that!

How though? It's just a bunch of names. I'd be surprised if half the names aren't already on the dnc list.

Having the list isn't going to tell the dnc how not to suck at being a political party.

Did I take the quote out of context? Does it require extra context to spin that strategy to look like it wasn't actually a mistake? A lot of other publications seem to view it similarly.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-2016-donald-trump-214428

https://medium.com/@CaptainStack/if...-it-should-bother-you-cf470429885d#.1wo6grzdk

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/10/11/elevating-trump/

The Politico article you linked does not say the thing you think it does.

A medium article is not a "publication".

Again, you have failed to understand the strategy, you've completely overstated its effects, you've overestimating the competency of the DNC, and you've taken an innocuous strategy and turned it into yet another dastardly mistake of the simultaneously cunning-yet-incompetent DNC. It's been explained to you multiple times what this strategy entails, and if you want to put your fingers in your ears while screaming READ THE EMAILS!!! without understanding any context, then I feel bad for you.

KingV

Yeah, I mean, there are downticket candidates who need it and the energy is there.

Though maybe it'd be better to have Bernie send an email to his donor list about said candidates.

This is how I feel, let someone who is trusted by the people on the list utilize the list to find common objectives. I don't need dnc and Daily Kos and whoever else sending me sensationalist emails asking for money and to sign online petitions four times per day.

Ms.Galaxy

How though? It's just a bunch of names. I'd be surprised if half the names aren't already on the dnc list.

Having the list isn't going to tell the dnc how not to suck at being a political party.

To understand demographics of different regions and position candidates that would suit those demographics.

If that list shows that Region X in Pennsylvania have been hankering for some Bernie like candidate, then they will know that information and try to run progressive candidates in that region for local elections.

A email list is not that hard to make..... at all.

The issue is would people want your email? Which is usually no unless they signed up for it directly..... also fun fact most people let emails go to spam unless its work related or from a personal acquaintance.

I think that's the rub, here. Having the list is one thing. Using it in a way that engages voters instead of spamming people about fundraising deadlines is another.

Email lists are much more than just names and emails. Can have things like demographic data, location, interests, etc

But yeah, the vast majority of the names in the list are probably also on DNC lists. I've said that multiple times in this thread. The important part is the people that are on Bernie's list but not the DNC'S. This is in all likelihood a small number, but it's an incredibly important one. Bernie not sharing that with the DNC is detrimental to his goal of advancing progressive politics, in addition to being just plain selfish. Especially since he doesn't need voters in states other than Vermont in the future, unless he runs for president in 2020 (he won't)

I think that's the rub, here. Having the list is one thing. Using it in a way that engages voters instead of spamming people about fundraising deadlines is another.
Sort of agreed. My guess is it's a similar list, but there's an urgency in terms of finding those voters who might not be on anyone's radar who live in swing districts.

rec0ded1

Warren and Bernie are not a unit.

I'd bet money that Warren would more likely work with Franken than Bernie at this point.

That's a fine choice as well. Get Dems that will straight up call shit out and power up.

You realize the Democratic Party is much larger than the senate. You oust Pelosi, minority leader in the house, to then focus on two Senators who are not in the house.....?

I'm just picking on people that are visible since they represent what the masses see.

to anyone asking why would the dnc want a list of potential supporters

like what? did you even read the above sentence?

what?

It makes perfect sense. I think the issue people are having is that the dems seem more pressed about being given this list rather than earnestly garnering the support of these voters. "If you build it, they will come" is markedly different from "If someone else builds it and then they give it to you, a few might bite"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Politico article you linked does not say the thing you think it does.

Yes it does. Maybe you're the one not understanding my point.

A medium article is not a "publication".
Irrelevant semantic argument.

Again, you have failed to understand the strategy, you've completely overstated its effects, you've overestimating the competency of the DNC, and you've taken an innocuous strategy and turned it into yet another dastardly mistake of the simultaneously cunning-yet-incompetent DNC. It's been explained to you multiple times what this strategy entails, and if you want to put your fingers in your ears while screaming READ THE EMAILS!!! without understanding any context, then I feel bad for you.
The strawman here is quite strong indeed, intentionally imagined or not.

Blader

The Democrats need massive changes and so far, have they done anything to really correct the reasons why they didn't win?

So far it feels like they're still in denial and not really making the steps they need to do.

Well the Democratic Party can't retool its campaigning, fundraising, recruiting and organizing apparatus until they elect a new party chair, which isn't happening until the end of the month. So until that happens, no, they can't really do anything to correct the reasons why they didn't win. That doesn't mean there aren't people working hard to identify and act on those reasons.

That's a fine choice as well. Get Dems that will straight up call shit out and power up.

I'm just picking on people that are visible since they represent what the masses see.

Pelosi is very good at her job, and the people who think she needs to be ousted usually can't give me a reason as to why other than she's been there a long time.

It makes perfect sense. I think the issue people are having is that the dems seem more pressed about being given this list rather than earnestly garnering the support of these voters. "If you build it, they will come" is markedly different from "If someone else builds it and then they give it to you, a few might bite"

Based on what? Do you seem them still pushing Hilary Clinton? Do you see them shunning Sanders? Are they not being vocal about Trumps appointments? Are they not looking for a new DNC chair? What have they done that shows they're not trying to earn it?

tbm24

I'm just picking on people that are visible.
Youre gonna need a long term strategy if picking on people = kick them out. All democrats are not going to be vocal
about the same things the same way. That's a reality of different people representing different parts of the country. The question now should be what to do with what's available, not look to purge a group that's already in the minority while those in power do everything in their power to make people's lives worse.

tbm24

Based on what? Do you seem them still pushing Hilary Clinton? Do you see them shunning Sanders? Are they not being vocal about Trumps appointments? Are they not looking for a new DNC chair? What have they done that shows they're not trying to earn it?
I've been wondering about that conclusion as well since it's pretty prominent throughout most of this thread. How is anyone coming to the conclusion that democrats are sitting on their hands waiting for someone to give them the magic book of answers, or in this case email list.

Why are we still having the Hillary V Bernie arguments?

We already know who lost big time and who's pertinent right now. That immediately invalidates like 85% of opinions here.

Blader

The people who are looking to lead the party are out in the field trying to do exactly that. Trying to get Bernie's email list has not been the one and only thing that DNC has been doing over the last three months.

Why are we still having the Hillary V Bernie arguments?

We already know who lost big time and who's pertinent right now. That immediately invalidates like 85% of opinions here.

They both lost.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Relevant I say https://youtu.be/h2wcUGeHnT0 Pelosi has way overstayed her welcome as an example. Reorganize around Warren and Bernie ffs. As was said earlier, DNC should give their lists to them.

You are suggesting replacing the head of the Democrats in the house (not actually their campaign head for either house or senate, and not in any sense a leader of the party in terms of recruitment, and not remotely anyone concerned with the presidency) with two Senators, and it's not even clear those two Senators would be interested in working together, also all three of the people being discussed are one foot in the grave due to age. This doesn't seem like a very thought through plan.

royalan

I've been wondering about that conclusion as well since it's pretty prominent throughout most of this thread. How is anyone coming to the conclusion that democrats are sitting on their hands waiting for someone to give them the magic book of answers, or in this case email list.

It's not a question of Democrats being immobile. They're not.

But they are making a lot of the wrong moves. They're failing to read both their base AND the Republican party they're opposing.

Democrats in Congress are desperately trying to play politics as usual. We give a little here, you'll give a little there. We'll work with you where we can and gently oppose you where we can't. We'll all play by the established rules and respect norms.

Meanwhile, Republicans have shown no intention of working with Democrats on anything or playing by the established rules. At the same time, liberals are literally marching in the streets while Democrats in Congress stay silent or give sideline support because they're too afraid of being painted as obstructionist by a demographic that already hates their guts regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom