• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Democrats Introduce Articles Of Impeachment

Will the Senate Impeach Trump if this reaches them ?

• Yes

• No

• I Really Dont Care

Results are only viewable after voting.

AfricanKing

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2017
Wakanda

House Democrats on Monday introduced an article of impeachment against President Trump for inciting a mob that attacked the Capitol last week, vowing to press the charge as Republicans blocked their move to formally call on Vice President Mike Pence to strip him of power under the 25th Amendment.

The dual actions came as Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her caucus sought to ratchet up pressure on Mr. Pence to intervene and push Mr. Trump to resign. If they did not, the Democrats vowed immediate consequences for Mr. Trump’s role in an attack that put the lives of the vice president, members of Congress and thousands of staff working on Capitol Hill at risk as they met to formalize President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory.

As expected, Republicans objected to a resolution calling on Mr. Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment, meaning that the House would have to call a full vote on the measure on Tuesday. Democratic leaders were confident it would pass, and pressured Republican lawmakers to vote with them to beseech the vice president, who is said to be opposed to using the powers outlined in the Constitution, to do so.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Jul 11, 2018

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
Let me get this straight. We let degenerates loot and destroy all summer and even have politicians calling for the public harassment of other politicians. Instead of condemning this behavior we reward it by saying protests are a right and we shouldn’t expect them to be peaceful. Meanwhile, we crack down on businesses, schools, and private gatherings that violate government lockdowns due to COVID and are silent on the risk of COVID transmission risk for mass protests with many people not wearing masks. We have people murdered during these riots and degenerates are rarely charged and are out back destroying property. I could go on.

We have all of this in 2020 and think that Trump is the reason for the Capitol riot? Did he likely contribute to getting people frenzied, yes. However, I’d say most of the scum who rioted in the Capitol were inspired by the failure of local governments, mostly with Democratic leadership as well as a pass from federal Democratic leadership and the media. Come on, let’s be realistic here. When you reward bad behavior, you get bad behavior. Impeach Trump for this and every political leader that failed to condemn the riots this summer should be charged as well.

Jan 2, 2011
You'd think Biden, knowing he's on borrowed time already, would rather just get the ball rolling on whatever the hell he actually wants to get started. I'm assuming vaccination rollout would be number one on the list. Show people they're your first priority instead of sticking it to the other side because everybody is tired of the bullshit that stems from the latter.

Last edited:

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I'm curious how this works as far as any carry-over into the next admin. If the impeachment proceedings start under the house, under the current admin, but don't finish in time until the next admin (where dems have the senate), how does that work? Is there some law that says they have to impeach before the next admin takes office or does it just carry-over? Or are they able to rush it before the 20th?

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
You'd think Biden, knowing he's on borrowed time already, would rather just get the ball rolling on whatever the hell he actually wants to get started. I'm assuming vaccination rollout would be number one on the list. Show people they're your first priority instead of sticking it to the other side because everybody is tired of the bullshit that stems from the latter.

Why would Biden want people to get vaccinated? Both he and Kamala said they didn't trust the Trump vaccine.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: smorgasbird

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I'm curious how this works as far as any carry-over into the next admin. If the impeachment proceedings start under the house, under the current admin, but don't finish in time until the next admin (where dems have the senate), how does that work? Is there some law that says they have to impeach before the next admin takes office or does it just carry-over? Or are they able to rush it before the 20th?
It's something of a constitutional ambiguity. In all likelihood it will run into the next admin, but it's all very unprecedented.

It isn't explicitly forbidden, but the idea that a president would need to be urgently impeached to prevent him from running again -- that someone could be both an apparent threat to the national security and still broadly popular enough to be a major party candidate -- is such a deeply strange circumstance that I doubt the founders considered it.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
I mean, how do you remove someone who is no longer in office? After the 20th Trump is a private citizen. So who would the Senate be voting to remove?

Last edited:

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I mean, how do you remove someone who is no longer in office? After the 20th Trump is a private citizen. So who would the Senate be voting to remove?

this is complete conjecture and may not be a valid comparison (b/c i don't know how this process works) but:
let's say i worked for Target or something, but I only had a week left before I gave my 2 week notice
I go in Target and punch the manager in his face with about a week left until I was supposed to leave
do you not charge that person because he only had a week left anyway?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
I don’t know how I feel on this just yet. It’s going to be a lifetime until the 20th.

Edit: I think this passes in the House, fails in the Senate just like last time. I think it sets an important precident. Whether or not this should happen, it seem to be within the right to bring the articles. I believe I said it when Trump was impeached the first time--we are going to see Presidents impeached with greater regularity going forward.

Last edited:

Catphish

Jan 13, 2017
Chicago, IL, USA
I fully admit that I don't know shit, but I would think that the Republicans would join the vote to have him impeached.

I doubt he would pick up the Republican nomination if he ever did run again, which would leave him to align with (or create) a 3rd party, which would then only split the Republican vote in the next election. Thus, if he is impeached again, I suspect it will be successful. And I'm ok with that. His experiment failed. Obviously it's not all his doing, but for every volley of bullshit fired at him from the left, he dumped an equal helping onto himself. He's his own worst enemy and not really what anyone wants as a president. Most people only support him for what he isn't. Not for what he is.

While I did vote for him in the last election, I won't be sad to see him go, hopefully forever.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
They don't. Nor do they have the votes or the time. And it goes to show what a fucking sham the first impeachment truly was.

I disagree. From my perspective, this is definitely the best argument to impeach since Nixon. Whether it meets the bar of "high crimes and misdemeanors" or not is for them to decide, but I do believe they can make a pretty good case that the president knowingly incited dangerous violence directed at Congress.

CGiRanger

Jun 23, 2017
this is complete conjecture and may not be a valid comparison (b/c i don't know how this process works) but:
let's say i worked for Target or something, but I only had a week left before I gave my 2 week notice
I go in Target and punch the manager in his face with about a week left until I was supposed to leave
do you not charge that person because he only had a week left anyway?
From what I understand Impeachment isn't quite a "Legal" process and is separate from the Department of Justice laws. So if Trump is a private citizen then any such action would need to be initiated by the Justice department.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
From what I understand Impeachment isn't quite a "Legal" process and is separate from the Department of Justice laws. So if Trump is a private citizen then any such action would need to be initiated by the Justice department.

makes sense. i guess we'll see how it plays out. i bet constitutional scholars had to break out their books to look this one up

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
While I am skeptical that they have the votes, I do think the Republicans might seize the opportunity to distance themselves from Trump's now poisoned brand, and McConnell is basically on record about hating Trump now. Still, getting 25 of them to vote for impeachment? Definitely a high bar...

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

shoplifter

Jun 7, 2004
ohio

It's a vote to convict on the charges, which would remove him from office as well. It's not a vote to remove from office, that's just the effect of voting to convict.

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
The ol' double impeach maneuver. Not a waste of time or money at all. Good thing there's nothing else they could be meeting and voting on like pandemic relief or literally anything else because Trump's out in a matter of days anyways. Nope.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
The ol' double impeach maneuver. Not a waste of time or money at all. Good thing there's nothing else they could be meeting and voting on like pandemic relief or literally anything else because Trump's out in a matter of days anyways. Nope.

It would be stupid for them to try to vote on any legislation until after the new administration comes in.

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

Texas Pride

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Texas
I disagree. From my perspective, this is definitely the best argument to impeach since Nixon. Whether it meets the bar of "high crimes and misdemeanors" or not is for them to decide, but I do believe they can make a pretty good case that the president knowingly incited dangerous violence directed at Congress.

We can agree to disagree then on the validity of the charges and the bar needed to justify them. To my knowledge the Senate doesn't reconvene until the 19th even if they had the votes which I very much doubt. Biden is due to be sworn in on the 20th and Trump will be gone. This is nothing but a symbolic gesture and again Impeachment was never meant to be a political blugeon to smite your enemies with but the Democrats have ensured it is the new norm.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Zefah

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
The democratically controlled Senate? I would say definitely. Whether any impeachment after someone is out of office counts for anything or is even a 'thing', I don't know.

sackings

Jul 22, 2020
I guess they'll be impeaching Biden day one then for calling Senators Nazis. A comment one could easily argue is an incitement for violence. If they are literal nazis, its ok to assault them right?

Reactions: Brazen
Aug 23, 2010
Florida USA
The democratically controlled Senate? I would say definitely. Whether any impeachment after someone is out of office counts for anything or is even a 'thing', I don't know.

The conviction will require 2/3rds of the Senate, and that is a tough ask but it can be done.
For those whining about the impeachment and it being a waste of time as he would be out of office anyway. The impeachment is meant to not only hold him accountable but prevent him from ever holding office again, removing him from office is just a perk.

th4tguy

Feb 17, 2013
I think the President needs to be impeached and tried but even with a dem controlled senate, I don't think the numbers are right to guarantee he is prevented from holding office again.
This is all so different and crazy. The kind of different and crazy people hoped and feared would come from Trump as President.
With all said and done, you can't deny that Trump stirred the pot and definitely will result in some changes to come.

Reactions: BarringGaffner

th4tguy

Feb 17, 2013
I guess they'll be impeaching Biden day one then for calling Senators Nazis. A comment one could easily argue is an incitement for violence. If they are literal nazis, its ok to assault them right?
"I guess they'll be impeaching Biden day one then for calling Senators Nazis."
No

"A comment one could easily argue is an incitement for violence."
Could be, yes. But hasn't.

"If they are literal nazis, its ok to assault them right?"
No, even if someone walked up to you and self proclaimed to be a Nazi, you still don't have the right to assault them.

If the result of BIden calling some Senators Nazis and then called for them to be intimidated in some vague form and then it actually resulted in people breaking the law to do it, yes we would be talking about impeaching Biden.

Although, even then, unless he did it while holding the title of President, I don't think you can impeach a President for something he did while he wasn't President. Not sure though.

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
If successful he cant run in 2024
What are they so afraid of? Either what he did is so awful the American people will never elect him again. or the American people thinks he did nothing wrong and it is undemocratic to basically preclude them for electing the person of their choice.

If the Democrats wanted to act like the Establishment party and prove to the world they're afraid of the will of the people, they would not act any differently.

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Don't impeach him :(

I want to see this but with Biden :(

It would be like the ultimate thing of all ultimates in the history of ultimate things and you can't take that away from any of us :(

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dacon