• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrats lost November Election (and down ticket) by giving GOP talking point that the Democrats blocked government checks to workers during Crisis

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
It's basically a campaign ad that runs itself and the GOP can mobilze all the "statements" democrats made opposing the stimulus to small businesses and checks to American workers which actually hocked many anti-trump politicians and improved Trumps ratings.

Once things stabilize all the Democrats bad moves but mostly this particular one, will hang over there heads. There's no possible way they can run against Trump after screwing over the American workers with no better (or any) replacement solution. They didn't even want to "modify it" they just blocked it outright.

Reelection still in the bag. #DemocratineseVirus

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
There's people that are facing homelessness and hunger and the Dems do not care. The Democrats' hate for President Trump outweighs their desire to help the American people. I think we all knew that, but now we definitely know that.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Helpful thread on Twitter about the reasons Democrats are blocking this bill:

And then there's this beauty a few days ago:

This line in particular stands out: "This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,” Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told lawmakers, according to a source on the call."

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

This line in particular stands out: "This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,” Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told lawmakers, according to a source on the call."
Never let a crisis go to waste,

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

The country is on the verge of collapse and all the Progressives care about is fixing piddly issues instead of the government doing its basic fucking job.

I'm getting to where I want Trump to declare martial law on these shitstains and lock them away Lincoln-style. After all, all these sorts defend what Lincoln did.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I actually agree with Democrats only slightly for not passing it.

There's no control over loans to corproations, meanwhile there's lots of means testing for your everday person to get their checks ranging from $600 to $3500.

What business is receiving money, and how much are they receiving? We need stipulations and transparency.

I also think unemployment benefits should be in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidgarBlowedUp

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I actually agree with Democrats only slightly for not passing it.

There's no control over loans to corproations, meanwhile there's lots of means testing for your everday person to get their checks ranging from $600 to $3500.

What business is receiving money, and how much are they receiving? We need stipulations and transparency.
They do have stipulations - no wasting money on stock buybacks, and the government may become a shareholder in suspect cases.

And the "means testing" is literally just an income limit that almost all of the lower and middle class meet, and all the ones below $75,000 get the same amount. And everyone gets the same per kid.

Reactions: Oner

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
They do have stipulations - no wasting money on stock buybacks, and the government may become a shareholder in suspect cases.

And the "means testing" is literally just an income limit that almost all of the lower and middle class meet, and all the ones below $75,000 get the same amount. And everyone gets the same per kid.
But I mean who gets the money, and how much. There isn't enough oversight, since it's just based on what the treasury wants to do.

The 350 for small businesses is perfect. 50billion to airlines? Go ahead. $17 billion for firms important to national security? Go ahead.

The everyday person getting a check? Go ahead as is.

Just make sure that there's unemployment money too, and have a few more checks on that 500b to corporations.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Both democrats and republicans are scumbags holding American people hostage amidst this crisis, if you cannot see this, good for you.
This. It isn't a left or right issue. Both sides are trying to weaponize this crisis and the desperate need surrounding it in order to get things they want.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
LOL you have to fact check yourself by leaving your echo chamber:
Republicans don't control the House and didnt block the 60 vote threshold in the Senate because they want abortions.

And that's a separate bill, "fact checker".

Edit: Speaking of facts, here are the contents of the bill:

DIVISION A—SECOND CORONAVIRUS PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2020
DIVISION B—NUTRITION WAIVERS
DIVISION C—EMERGENCY FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE EXPANSION ACT
DIVISION D—EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE STABILIZATION AND ACCESS ACT OF 2020
DIVISION E—EMERGENCY PAID SICK LEAVE ACT
DIVISION F—HEALTH PROVISIONS
DIVISION G—TAX CREDITS FOR PAID SICK AND PAID FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE
DIVISION H—BUDGETARY EFFECTS

REFERENCES
What is your problem? I thought Democrats like family leave?

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
This. It isn't a left or right issue. Both sides are trying to weaponize this crisis and the desperate need surrounding it in order to get things they want.
Exactly how are the republicans doing anything comparable with tying aid to new airline emissions?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Republicans don't control the House and didnt block the 60 vote threshold in the Senate because they want abortions.

And that's a separate bill, "fact checker".

Edit: Speaking of facts, here are the contents of the bill:

What is your problem? I thought Democrats like family leave?
The idiots who rush to play Both Sides™ to cover for their party's failure make themselves look more foolish by the day.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Are we sure that the GOP bill already did that? Can you link me to the language in the bill?
I'm trying to find the article I read yesterday, but the GOP bill had two restrictions:
  • Companies are not able to buyback stock with the bailout funds except at the discretion of the Treasury Secretary
  • Companies must maintain employment within practicality
Democrats seem to think this means that Trump will immediately let companies buy back stock and fire everyone immediately. It's idiotic and paranoid.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I'm trying to find the article I read yesterday, but the GOP bill had two restrictions:
  • Companies are not able to buyback stock with the bailout funds except at the discretion of the Treasury Secretary
Democrats seem to think this means that Trump will immediately let companies buy back stock and fire everyone immediately. It's idiotic and paranoid.
The people running their party do not think that, and that is the furthest thing from their actual concern. Their sole concern, 100% only concern they have, is trying to make Trump look bad and them look good. That is the beginning, middle, and end of their agenda. Some of the rank and file are good eggs, but Chuck, Nancy, and the other party leaders don't care 1 smidgen about anything other than power.

Reactions: autoduelist
May 22, 2018
If Trump truly has no interest in allowing them to do that then the Republicans should have no problem changing the language to what the Democrats want in order to get the bill passed.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
I actually think they don't want Trump giving money to his own businesses just because. So they wanna see how much and to who. The how much and who isn't required to be made available right away.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I actually think they don't want Trump giving money to his own businesses just because. So they wanna see how much and to who. The how much and who isn't required to be made available right away.
Do you honestly think Trump hotels are going to get any of that?

If Trump truly has no interest in allowing them to do that then the Republicans should have no problem changing the language to what the Democrats want in order to get the bill passed.

May 22, 2018

I'm not moving anything I'm just pointing out the obvious. If the Democrats are upset about that particular language in the bill and Trump has no desire to let companies actually do it then obvious solution is to just change the language of the bill to make the Democrats happy. Then the Democrats get the language that they want inside of the bill that Republicans want and then everyone wins. It's an easy fix.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Both Sides™ even harder Nobody_Important Nobody_Important

The only thing missing is a platitude about "if Republicans really cared about people, they would cooperate with the Democrats"

This is why your party is trash. Idiots like you make up the constituency, never willing to hold them accountable. So they keep playing games even if it means hurting their own cities and states. Meanwhile, people need money yesterday due to shutdowns and job losses.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not moving anything I'm just pointing out the obvious. If the Democrats are upset about that particular language in the bill and Trump has no desire to let companies actually do it then obvious solution is to just change the language of the bill to make the Democrats happy. Then the Democrats get the language that they want inside of the bill that Republicans want and then everyone wins. It's an easy fix.
You asked for what the text of it was because you didn't believe they restricted the aid, then said that Republicans should just go with Democrats' rewording without admitting you were wrong.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Or the democrats can pass the bill as is and fuck off.

You're proving the posters shitting on Pelosi to be right. This isn't about helping the country. This is about putting your language in the bill, and trying to take credit. Its nothing but politics.

Of course you can't see that

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019

It's possible. But anything goes at this point. It can be easily manipulated by picking winners and losers to unfair degrees, or it could be done perfectly fair.

So imo we just need some transparency. Trump hotels are hit hard, so they should get something.

May 22, 2018
You asked for what the text of it was because you didn't believe they restricted the aid, then said that Republicans should just go with Democrats' rewording without admitting you were wrong.
Oh I didn't realize you were waiting on some kind of apology or something. Yes I was wrong. I was unaware there was such language in the bill.

The solution is still a simple one though by the sounds of it. Once the Republicans change the language surrounding the buybacks then it sounds like the two sides are very close to agreeing.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Oh, thank god, I thought you meant they actually cucked to the cunt.

At least when martial law has to be declared because half the country is jobless and starving we will have the distinct pleasure of knowing that vaginas and genderqueers and multiple systems were not denied from government mandated quotas in corporate America. Thanks bitch!

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Oh I didn't realize you were waiting on some kind of apology or something. Yes I was wrong. I was unaware there was such language in the bill.

The solution is still a simple one though by the sounds of it. Once the Republicans change the language surrounding the buybacks then it sounds like the two sides are very close to agreeing.
Faced with undeniable proof that the Dems have conditioned relief on absurd poison pills, you still run to the bothsides mountain and suggest Republicans adopt the remaining (almost certainly) nonsense that you haven't seen yet?

Bladed Thesis

Jun 7, 2019

Sounds to me like the Dems are working pretty hard on behalf of the workers now that I look at it. Why would the GOP say no to this? This protects businesses and the workers. Everyone wins.
This was already in the bill they canned.

Keep in mind, the bill that was canned was negotiated by both parties and agreed upon until Pelosi flew in and cancelled it. The bill already was fully negotiated until she wanted more concessions.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007

Holy shit at that Twitter thread. Glad someone had the time to delve into that massive bill.

These people are fucking villains. Using this as an opportunity to try to enact everything they ever dreamed of.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Holy shit at that Twitter thread. Glad someone had the time to delve into that massive bill.

These people are fucking villains. Using this as an opportunity to try to enact everything they ever dreamed of.
And they doubled their previous individual stimulus and increased the limits to sell it to the American people and use it as a cudgel.

Reactions: DeepEnigma
May 22, 2018
Faced with undeniable proof that the Dems have conditioned relief on absurd poison pills, you still run to the bothsides mountain and suggest Republicans adopt the remaining (almost certainly) nonsense that you haven't seen yet?
No? I'm talking about the language surrounding buybacks. I don't want any of the money going to these companies to be used for buybacks. I assume that's a common sentiment.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
No? I'm talking about the language surrounding buybacks. I don't want any of the money going to these companies to be used for buybacks. I assume that's a common sentiment.
It is a common sentiment shared by all. But please don't play dumb with the appeal to emotion. There's page after page of reading material you can find in these related threads about all the poison pills in the Dems "language." This is not an issue about Republican language in any respect and you know it. This is about the people you carry water for INTENTIONALLY preventing any bill from passing unless it somehow makes them look good and Orange Man look bad. Not even the best mental gymnast can deny that HONESTLY after reading the crap they are trying to include.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Hopefully they can get that into the Senate bill, but this House bill is a complete pipe dream non-starter.

Reactions: Nobody_Important
May 22, 2018
It is a common sentiment shared by all. But please don't play dumb with the appeal to emotion. There's page after page of reading material you can find in these related threads about all the poison pills in the Dems "language." This is not an issue about Republican language in any respect and you know it. This is about the people you carry water for INTENTIONALLY preventing any bill from passing unless it somehow makes them look good and Orange Man look bad. Not even the best mental gymnast can deny that HONESTLY after reading the crap they are trying to include.
I agree with you. That's why I have already said that Congress is trying weaponize this crisis in order to get things they want.