• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls’ devs considered, and ultimately left out, an easy mode

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The “easy mode” would be farming and leveling up; the option is there for those that need it. In other words, the systems are flexible enough to help people with lower skill levels given some persistence. So I think this conversation is less relevant to something like Sekiro, where this conversation originated, and inarguably From’s most challenging and least flexible game.

Knightime_X

Why would you speak up for those who need a neutered version?
Those people know just how fast the community can turn toxic over such things.
Zero fear and not afraid of that community.
but you know full well this discussion is pointless because it's never going to happen anyways.
This "Easy mode".
And if Blue Point did do it the community at best would bitch for 5 seconds and quickly stop caring because many of them would secretly use it anyways but wouldn't tell anyone.

Just like the bloodborne community telling others to git gud while they look up hacked chalice dungeons for easy gems and blood echoes.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This and basically just a magic build is easy mode in DeS
Any tips or basic pointers for a magic build in this? Starting class, stat allocation, etc?

I only played a magic user in Dark Souls II. Wasn't bad but didn't feel like "Souls" to me (I've always played melee monsters).

I also know that magic users have been unbalanced in some Souls games, which translates to fun if you ask me.

Lux R7

Any tips or basic pointers for a magic build in this? Starting class, stat allocation, etc?

I only played a magic user in Dark Souls II. Wasn't bad but didn't feel like "Souls" to me (I've always played melee monsters).

I also know that magic users have been unbalanced in some Souls games, which translates to fun if you ask me.

Royalty starting class (spam magic attacks), after the first boss go to shrine of storms and look for the crescent falchion there. Go for int and magic for mana and magic damage.

Collin

Banned
easy mode is totally fine for some games but the difficulty and challenge is such a huge part of the experience in a souls game, like that’s such a giant part of what makes the games what they are. so no thanks on this.

plus i just beat demons souls remake and yeah, shits hard for sure, but i did find it easier than the other souls games i played (especially the bosses who i basically beat first or second try most times with the exception of maneater who gave me lots of trouble and the false king whose soul level removal move is fucking stupid)

Unpopular opinion: I don’t see the harm in including an easy mode.

Make it so you can’t plat the game or get all achievements in the easy mode, and don’t make it too easy. What’s the harm?

Let people enjoy the atmosphere and art without being able to Plat or 100% it in the easy mode. The purists will still play the normal mode.

Saber

Gold Member
The problem with having an easy mode is the core of the game itself. The game's intention is to be unforgiven, so people can't simply hack and slash and midless running like dumbass. You have to be aware of your surroundings, learn enemy patterns, etc. If you take this away, then the game is no longer a Souls game. It's a misconception that came from stupid people thinking that being souls = hard game. I remember people calling Sonic 2 for Master System a "Souls game". If difficulty was an isssue, why there are so many Dark Souls clones out there?

The problem with asking an easy mode is that people either don't want to learn or don't care about what made Souls game so iconic. No... instead people think this is nothing but a snarky remark from those who like this genre or simply think the devs are evil people who want certain gamers away from their games(as if the dev made the game to make them mad).

And the game is not even that difficult. There are ways to "trick" certain enemies or abuse of certain places. For instance, Father Gascoigne is a very hard boss, even more if you don't like or don't learn how to stun him. This doesn't mean you can't beat him fair. You can use certain tombstones to block and protect yourself from his attacks and retaliate him endless without a scratch. I didn't learned this from internet, I learn this myself when died countless times.

But how can someone learn this if they don't want to try or aren't interested in invest in the game(the old "don't have time" excuse)?

nowhat

Generally speaking though, I think it's bizarre that people get worked up about modes or options that they don't have to go anywhere near. Don't worry, everyone will still think you're awesome for beating the game as intended, even if others are playing on easy mode.
There are reasons why not to like NieR: Automata (IMHO all of them invalid, but that's just me), but among them the most bizarre ones I've seen is that the chip system makes combat too easy, you can have heal on hit/kill and all that, even things like auto-dodge or auto-attack (never mind that those are only available if you play on easy).

Like... don't equip those chips then? Problem solved. Unequip some default chips even to make the game harder if you want. I just can't understand what the problem is.

(this is on a general level, I think Bluepoint respecting the original artistic vision is fine)

Saruhashi

Banned
Unpopular opinion: I don’t see the harm in including an easy mode.

Make it so you can’t plat the game or get all achievements in the easy mode, and don’t make it too easy. What’s the harm?

Let people enjoy the atmosphere and art without being able to Plat or 100% it in the easy mode. The purists will still play the normal mode.

I think it depends on how you frame it. Is it "harmful" when games have difficulty options? Objectively not since most games have these options.

I wouldn't say its a good thing if developers need to compromise their vision for a game because of social media outrage though.

Demon's Souls is a 2009 videogame that was followed by Dark Souls Trilogy, Bloodborne and Sekiro. They all share similar elements and all have a singular difficulty mode.

So we can say its obvious that the developers hold a particular view on gaming, challenge and difficulty and this is part of their game design.

For some reason people were kind of fine with this for a good few years. The games were seen as difficult but that was fine.

Now there are more and more voices basically putting pressure on developers to include easy modes in every game. That's a bit weird.

Plus there's a big contradiction here. The games get really good reviews and sell a decent number of copies. Yet there's this thing of suggesting the developers are "doing it wrong".

If Sekiro and Demon's Souls had flopped then maybe there's a point here. If every game, or even just a lot of games, was shipping with brutal difficulty there theres a point here.

For now I'm just not seeing why a small number of games can't just be allowed to do their own thing.

Top Bottom