• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Souls: Remake for PS4 popped up on the PlayStation database

ZywyPL

Banned
Why are you people okay with Sony lying about a game only being possible on next gen hardware, again?

That’s the issue. Stop making fun of current ps5 owners, this is Sony being shitty as hell. Stop Defense forcing them for cucking you

This is what happens when you blindly believe big corporation when all the signs on the sky tell you otherwise, and not even that, but blindly defend them. Everyone with a common sense saw/knew there's nothing new the game was doing, that's it's an old PS3 game under a new coating, that it's any different than CoD4 remaster for example, there was even a Bluepoint's dev diary where they themselves openly said that because the game's (PS3) code was already there they had all the time to focus on the visuals, but some folks were in such a denial they simply rejected even that, because they needed ammo to drive their console battles, repeating over and over how PS5 is the only TRUE next-gen system, with TRUE next-gen games, not available and not possible elsewhere. Well next-gen my ass, consoles are nothing but closed spec x86 PCs now since 2013 will forever remain as such, they will continue to be both backwards and forward compatible going onward, that was one of the main reason behind switching to x86, that's what allows the devs porting the games back and forth, and the publishers to reach wider audiences and earn more money, which is why we're getting the games in the first place.

SSfox

Hard to blame them in this case with ps5 lack of stocks, also it's launch game and started dev on ps4, just don't put on PC or it's gonna be a new very low bar for Sony.

Hopefully BTW that GT7 and GOWR will be the last crossgen games. It's time Sony start working on true next gen games after Ratchet and returnal.

Last edited:
If the remake was done by From, I would think so. But no.

No. It is a remake.
Resident Evil 2 is a remake. Final Fantasy VII is a remake. The games were remade from the ground up hence the term remake. This isn't a remake. The base code is the same as the PS3 version (I believe). The visuals were enhanced. Is Shadow of the Colossus a remake? Is Halo Anniversary a remake? This is a remaster.

skit_data

It's a remaster, not a remake.
This might possibly be trolling but you never know because a lot of people really mix these things up.

bEktRFb.jpg

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are remakes.
Spyro Reignited Trilogy are remakes.
Shadow of the Colossus is a remake.
Demon’s Souls is a remake.

skit_data

The game is literally the same. They updated the visuals. What are you talking about?
Read the definition.

What you are talking about can be categorized as a reimagination and remake in FF7s case, it’s gameplay is completely revamped. RE2 is somewhere in between ”just” a remake and a reimagination. Halo CE is a remake.

Just because you keep everything as is gameplay wise doesn’t mean it’s not a remake. Remastering means keeping original content (just like remastering in music, you keep the recordings and touch them up for clarity etc.) and chamge finishing touches like resolution and framerate.

A remake is swapping all assets from bottom up. The framework can stay the same, as in Demon’s Souls, but it is a remake.

This article sums it all up pretty well:

Edit: It would’ve been considered a remaster if all Bluepoint did was take the files of textures, sounds and and enhanced the resolution of the textures, had higher bitrate audio with changed final master touches. But that’s not what they have done, they went back and remade every asset, sound and everything and fit it on their custom engine that they made sure replicates the PS3 version in the fundamentals.

Another thing is that it does actually not replicate the PS3 version exactly. Some stuff have changed.
-Brand new riposte and backstab animations for all weapons
-Omnidirectional rolling. This is a pretty big change mechanics wise.
-Better drop rates on some of the items (Pure bladestone was fucked up in the original).
-They modernized the co-op system to be more like DS3, with more players etc.
-They have also added weapons, items, rings and armors that were not in the original at all.
-A shortcut in 1-4 that wasn’t there in the original.
-Now you can actually just ”send to storage” stuff that is too heavy to pick up. Pretty big change.
-There is an actual character/world tendency screen. No more guess work.

I can probably list more stuff I noticed from playing the original back to back with the remake

Last edited:

HAL-01

Resident Evil 2 is a remake. Final Fantasy VII is a remake. The games were remade from the ground up hence the term remake. This isn't a remake. The base code is the same as the PS3 version (I believe). The visuals were enhanced. Is Shadow of the Colossus a remake? Is Halo Anniversary a remake? This is a remaster.
You’re entitled to your opinion but the general consensus is all of these are remakes.

FranXico

The base code is the same as the PS3 version (I believe). The visuals were enhanced. Is Shadow of the Colossus a remake? Is Halo Anniversary a remake? This is a remaster.
The base code is new, even if running part of the original game logic in parallel. Controls and combat animation are slightly different compared to the original. Assets were completely remade. Shadow of the Colossus was remade the same way.

Don't know about MC Collection, but I assume the older games also were remade.

longdi

Banned
i now wonder if the mgs and sh remake are xgen too? both rumor to be done by the same bluepoint studios!

The game is literally the same. They updated the visuals. What are you talking about?
What do you think a remake is? They redid EVERYTHING except the story, the animations are all new they are just timed to be the same as the old ones, the graphics have been completely redone, some artistic changes were made, physics upgraded and they made a small addition to the gameplay. A remake is remaking something it's not making a totally new game and recycling the title. A remaster is just something like Halo MCC or that ME legendary edition where it's the same base visuals with some things set higher, maybe some other things cleaned up etc a remaster has nowhere near the same amount of effort (or cost) put into it as a remake.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are few new armors and the art is way different.
new music and voices too.
imo remake as everything is brand new.

Uncharted trilogy i only touched up and up res. Seems more like a remaster.

i think people miss the point that road to ps5 was targeting developer and the "revolution" talked in it was more for "how" they produce content than the "what"

Right but that isn't hinging itself on simply just the SSD, and even there a lot of people mistake its role. It's a device to facilitate data transfer accesses in and out of main system memory. In that respect it is fundamentally similar to a hard drive, or a ZIP disk, or a floppy disc. The differences are in how it performs this task.

That said, I did also list some methods in how something like, say, cloud streaming, also facilitates the "how" in development of gaming software, not just what the end results for the end user can be. Over time there will be more use-cases of this and the range of that potential is quite big.

So yeah, even in terms of how this stuff fits into dev pipelines, SSD I/O is on the lower end of that stack, but it has a lot of importance. Honestly I would like to see some big breakthroughs in APT-style AI-driven batch programming for text, audio, graphics, animations etc where complex data models can be trained to generate bulk asset contents that can then be curated by professionals to give them artistic flair and unique personality. That would help significantly speed along game development and also reduce budgets drastically, but there are some ethical quandaries to work out there (workforce displacement has to be minimized as much as possible).

That said, that type of thing isn't something you can advertise to gamers as a direct end-user benefit to their QoL experience with a system (I think some people keep forgetting that Road to PS5 was advertised to gamers even if it may've been meant for developers, so it was also serving as marketing as well as a call to developers).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Wonder how the PS4 will handle all that ray-tracing goodness. 😆

Seriously, I’m starting to feel duped in buying a PS5 with all of these titles going to the PS4 now. I’m fully expecting a Returnal and Ratchet and Clank SKU to show up for the PS4 by this holiday…at which point I’ll be asking what was the point of this whole PS5 console releasing in 2020?
Why does it matter to you if someone else gets a dumbed down version? Can you imagine the load times jumping in and out of the Nexus on the PS4?

scydrex

I think it will be more like a remaster like TLOU. PS4 version like a remaster and the PS5 version a remake. If not the PS5 version with all downgraded.

Zathalus

Who honestly thought the game couldn't run on PS4? It is a remake of a PS3 game. Drop the resolution to 1080p/30FPS, lower texture/lighting quality, and call it a day. The only games so far this gen that cannot run on previous gen hardware is Ratchet and Clank and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Banned
What do you think a remake is? They redid EVERYTHING except the story, the animations are all new they are just timed to be the same as the old ones, the graphics have been completely redone, some artistic changes were made, physics upgraded and they made a small addition to the gameplay. A remake is remaking something it's not making a totally new game and recycling the title. A remaster is just something like Halo MCC or that ME legendary edition where it's the same base visuals with some things set higher, maybe some other things cleaned up etc a remaster has nowhere near the same amount of effort (or cost) put into it as a remake.

I think something like Halo 1+2 Anniversary, Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls should be called "Graphics Remake" since the game code was just taken as is and what was enhanced was the presentation not the game's systems.

a full remake is coded from the ground up, based on the original of course but not using all the code for the systems of it.
if you run the original code of the original game, and just slap a new coat of paint on it, that's not a remake.
otherwise Perfect Dark on 360 would also be a remake, and I never heard anyone call it that. but the graphics in that game are also completely remade

Last edited:
I really wish that everytime something appeared on the store that it meant it was actually a real thing, it was only a few months back that there was a PS5 listing in the store for Bloodborne.
I can't explain how happy I'd be with that, absolutely the best game of that kind but it was from back in time where From seemed to have very little concern for performance, at least they seem to have realised how important it is now with Sekiro and I really hope that it's still important to them when Elden Ring is released.

DrAspirino

Banned
Said it before and I'll say it again: x86 is scalable AF, and it's quite easy to make a game backwards and forwards compatible on this architecture. If a game engine is REALLY WELL MADE (like GTA V engine, for example), it can run (and play) on an intel 6000 integrated graphics all the way up to a GeForce 3070 (or more), just by changing the assets and the graphics quality settings on each platform. No recode required.

So everyone here saying that "exclusive" games on PS5 only run there "because of technical limitations", are blind to the real reason why some of those games are exclusive: either developers are lazy and don't want to do additional work to downgrade assets to make the games run on previous gen consoles, or Sony is just being an asshole with their policies (or both).

Getting the cross-gen technical possibilites out of dicussion, there is absolutely no technical reason why Demons Soul Remake can't be on PS4. Period.

Last edited:
Top Bottom