• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls (4K/30, Dynamic 4K/60, Photo mode, PS3 filter) - can now store characters in the Nexus

Man watching that trailer brought back so many old memories!!

Parts of the game I totally forgot about. Or that I thought I played in Dark Souls was in this game! The squid faces with the bells! OMG that world was so freakin scary and dangerous my first time through!

I might play this in 30fps mode in my first run. Since I could enjoy the original in under 30fps I am sure I could enjoy this at 30. And then I can save 60fps mode for my NG+ runs. Will give me something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I wonder if stock pile Thomas is going to be where you store the characters and if they lift the weight restrictions

Dodkrake

Banned
I went into stats and res in sub menu. Yeah, it’s 1440p video. 2560x1440@60 Looks really good.Cinematic mode will look better than anything else out by far.
So youtube is saying the video is 4k for shits and giggles?

rV9gpdA.png

FrankWza

So youtube is saying the video is 4k for shits and giggles?

rV9gpdA.png

I don’t know. My stats were2560x1440@60 on the YouTube app watching the PlayStation channel feed from eu because the us one requires sign in to view. It’s listed @4k in the description but I got those stats.

-Arcadia-

Banned
A shocking amount of people in here that don’t understand ‘dynamic 4K’ can dip well below 4K and stay there most of the time, yes, even at 1440p. This is nothing new.

Anyway. Lol.

I’m really glad to see a locked 4K mode in here (the options that came in with the mid-gen upgrades are the best thing), but... I don’t know. 60 FPS looks so good, and YouTubed on my TV, better than any game I’ve ever played. I may genuinely take the lower res.

Plus, wasn’t there some talk about how 60 FPS gives you higher ‘motion resolution’ in the non-CRT era? I’m definitely feeling that here.

Dibils2k

sometimes I wonder where they get anything from. Their analysis is pretty inconsistent in what they are able to definitively determine from videos.
they literally said in the video that its hard to confirm but said it looks like 1440p in some parts... nothing official or concrete since they dont have the game

its not their fault idiots spread fake news

dynamic 4k can still mean 1440p majority of the time as we saw with PS4 Pro

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Call me a pussy, but I was kind of hoping for an easy mode.

Also, how can anybody watch that and still think PS4 had a better launch line up?

Reposting for your benefit: roll a Royalty class character, stack the Magic stat, cast Soul Arrow until you get the Crescent Falchion from 4-1 which has A scaling from Magic. None of these words will make sense to you now, but it'll make the game easier while still retaining most of the challenge. It's just a great starter build while you get used to the game rather than a full on easy mode which will hamstring the experience.

jaysius

Banned
I think the real winners of early next gen are people that are holding onto their 1080p tvs, as 1080p will probably have amazing performance.

A framerate that's stable and you can actually SEE what the fuck is going on in the game now, well there's your easy mode right there. The original ran like shit and was murky all the time, which added to the difficulty.

This game look pretty damned amazing $103(CND when you've added the 15% tax) I'm not sure. Great time to pick up this and PS5 might be when there's a "greatest hits" collection.

Last edited:

tfur

That trailer looks so good, it made me feel high.

That looked amazing. Never played the original.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think the real winners of early next gen are people that are holding onto their 1080p tvs, as 1080p will probably have amazing performance.

A framerate that's stable and you can actually SEE what the fuck is going on in the game now, well there's your easy mode right there. The original ran like shit, which added to the difficulty.

This game look pretty damned amazing $103(CND when you've added the 15% tax) I'm not sure. Great time to pick up this and PS5 might be when there's a "greatest hits" collection.

But there's no advantage to it in this context. Demon's Souls isn't going to run at 1080/120. At dynamic 4K you're getting the same framerate with increased resolution.

Besides which, 4K TVs are really fucking cheap now. If you can afford a PS5 and a game at launch, you can probably afford a new TV before that. Not always, but probably.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

A framerate that's stable and you can actually SEE what the fuck is going on in the game now, well there's your easy mode right there. The original ran like shit, which added to the difficulty.

Not sure. If it’s like the One X (I’m not aware of what the Pro does), theoretically, it should just output the same 1440p or 4K image to your 1080p TV, but downsampled.

So, you should get the exact same performance, but with some beautiful (for 1080p) image quality from the downsample, which is basically the best form of AA there is.

Last edited:

Lysandros

A shocking amount of people in here that don’t understand ‘dynamic 4K’ can dip well below 4K and stay there most of the time, yes, even at 1440p. This is nothing new.

Anyway. Lol.

I’m really glad to see a locked 4K mode in here (the options that came in with the mid-gen upgrades are the best thing), but... I don’t know. 60 FPS looks so good, and YouTubed on my TV, better than any game I’ve ever played. I may genuinely take the lower res.

Plus, wasn’t there some talk about how 60 FPS gives you higher ‘motion resolution’ in the non-CRT era? I’m definitely feeling that here.
Yes a dynamic 4K solution can 'possibly' (depends of the implementation and range of DRS) on specific scenes. What's there to understand? That doesn't make Demon's souls' 4K DRS=1440P by a result of a butchered logic.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
In for the PS3 piss filter!

This is what's so good about Bluepoint, they give so many options in their remasters to please fans of the originals.

I’m really interested to see what this looks like. I’m all in for playing it in Bluepoint’s reimagined vision first time through (and giving it a proper chance), but as someone who was a little cranky about the changes, I’m curious if they can recapture that original PS3 vibe with the filter.

M_A_C

So where did Digital Foundry got the 1440p number from? 🤔

When they said that, after watching a youtube video, and providing ZERO information or proof, they lost all credibility they had left in my eyes. I watched it in 4K on my tv and it looked fantastic with no way to tell it wasn’t a full 4K image.

Geki-D

Banned
Call me a pussy, but I was kind of hoping for an easy mode.
I don't want an easy mode but man, I hope the game is more balanced because the original was cheap as hell at some points. Like, compared to Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, Demon's Souls is like a parody of Soulsborne game difficulty in how stupidly unfair it could be at times just to kill you.

Also, OP as fuck magic using black phantoms, fuck that shit.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
But there's no advantage to it in this context. Demon's Souls isn't going to run at 1080/120. At dynamic 4K you're getting the same framerate with increased resolution.

Besides which, 4K TVs are really fucking cheap now. If you can afford a PS5 and a game at launch, you can probably afford a new TV before that. Not always, but probably.

"Really fucking cheap 4K tvs" are shit if you're coming from a mid-high tier 1080p tv, there are differences in the price ranges, don't trick yourself there. Also while 4k TV's might be "really fucking cheap" 4k tvs+ new AVRS aren't "really fucking cheap" together by any means.

I don't care about 4k tbh, I've seen it a few times at people's houses and meh, they've had middle of the road sets(slightly more than CHEAP AS DIRT because again CANADA), my 1080p tv costs a chunk of change when I bought it and it still produces amazing pictures in 1080p. I'm not in for a shitty tv with half assed eyebleeding HDR, I'm only interested in a good one with proper implementations. I'm also not in for buying more expensive Netflix just so it looks good on my set because "CHEAP AS DIRT 4K tvs" scale 1080p like shit, I'm also not into 4k blurays either. Also "cheap as dirt 4k Tvs" are a different market in Canada than USA, there are tvs that are made for a "budget" and are actually reasonable prices in USA while it translates poorly when it comes to Canada.

4K is more than hype, I agree with that, but "cheap ass 4k" has glaring flaws and issues, like all the panel lottery in some of the cheaper hyped sets, and all the backlight bleeding even if you win said lottery, dimming zones that aren't working right, the list does go on, even in the TOP "Cheap ass dirt 4k tv", also HDR is a shitshow on the low end right now, I don't buy half-assed anything. One thing that is positive in this "CHEAP ASS 4K" is that at least they've figured out how to make low input lag for those sets.

There is an advantage to a 1080p tv, 4K DYNAMIC well you know what? I won't even notice when that DYNAMIC part happens and the P's drop ever, and that will be great(I didn't think this part had to be spelled out but I guess so).

Last edited:

Roufianos

I don't want an easy mode but man, I hope the game is more balanced because the original was cheap as hell at some points. Like, compared to Dark Souls and especially Bloodborne, Demon's Souls is like a parody of Soulsborne game difficulty in how stupidly unfair it could be at times just to kill you.

Also, OP as fuck magic using black phantoms, fuck that shit.

Ah really? I've played all of them to some extent and I actually remembered Demon's Souls being the easiest, though I barely got 4 hours in.

I recently discovered that game mode is a thing so I'm hoping that plus 60FPS will be enough for me to actually master it this time. I beat Nioh and heard that's just as hard as any Souls game so there's hope.

AV

Wow! ON top of the fact that it's $10 more than games anyway they're EDITION locking gear, that was available in the original game... this is the darkest timeline.

Uh, aren't all those items new?

"Really fucking cheap 4K tvs" are shit if you're coming from a mid-high tier 1080p tv, there are differences in the price ranges, don't trick yourself there. Also while 4k TV's might be "really fucking cheap" 4k tvs+ new AVRS aren't "really fucking cheap" together by any means.

I don't care about 4k tbh, I've seen it a few times at people's houses and meh, they've had middle of the road sets, my 1080p tv costs a chunk of change when I bought it and it still produces amazing pictures in 1080p. I'm not in for a shitty tv with half assed eyebleeding HDR, I'm only interested in a good one with proper implementations. I'm also not in for buying more expensive Netflix just so it looks good on my set because "CHEAP AS DIRT 4K tvs" scale 1080p like shit, I'm also not into 4k blurays either. Also "cheap as dirt 4k Tvs" are a different market in Canada than USA, there are tvs that are made for a "budget" and are actually reasonable prices in USA while it translates poorly when it comes to Canada.

There is an advantage to a 1080p tv, 4K DYNAMIC well you know what? I won't even notice when that DYNAMIC part kicks and the P's drop ever, and that will be great.

Oh I know about set variation, I have an OLED and it cost me a pretty penny. But even good 4K TVs are really cheap now compared to what they used to cost a few years ago. If it's not for you, then it's not for you, each to their own, but to me 4K is now the golden standard and the leap in quality is enormous. It's going to be a long time before anything more becomes both mainstream and affordable, despite what some manufacturers are trying to push.

truth411

I don't care about 4k tbh, I've seen it a few times at people's houses and meh, they've had middle of the road sets(slightly more than CHEAP AS DIRT because again CANADA), my 1080p tv costs a chunk of change when I bought it and it still produces amazing pictures in 1080p. I'm not in for a shitty tv with half assed eyebleeding HDR, I'm only interested in a good one with proper implementations. I'm also not in for buying more expensive Netflix just so it looks good on my set because "CHEAP AS DIRT 4K tvs" scale 1080p like shit, I'm also not into 4k blurays either. Also "cheap as dirt 4k Tvs" are a different market in Canada than USA, there are tvs that are made for a "budget" and are actually reasonable prices in USA while it translates poorly when it comes to Canada.

There is an advantage to a 1080p tv, 4K DYNAMIC well you know what? I won't even notice when that DYNAMIC part happens and the P's drop ever, and that will be great(I didn't think this part had to be spelled out but I guess so).
You can get a 4k Vizio P Series Quantum X for cheap now, that 4ktv line up will blow any 1080p tv picture quality out the water.

There really is no advantage to owning a 1080p tv set anymore.

borborygmus

Really not feeling the music. Sounds too "epic" and "high fantasy." The graphics will probably look spectacular with the classic filter on and I'm hoping the gameplay is mostly untouched. Looking good overall.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Ah really? I've played all of them to some extent and I actually remembered Demon's Souls being the easiest, though I barely got 4 hours in.
Most of the bosses are all-around easier (though a few are silly hard, the difficulty spikes like crazy in DeS) but the enemy and trap placements are pretty ridiculous at times compared to the other games. I guess the fact that the game now has an 8-way roll & a camera that isn't dogshit might help quite a bit. The original was sheer jank.

Top Bottom