• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

This is why the souls genre continues to be niche and not taken seriously

I used to agree with you my brother in arms but since I dove into demons souls and really committed to trying to play it properly I fully understand the need for there not to be any easy mode now. When you accept that dying is meant to happen and you even deliberately let it sometimes to your advantage you will start to understand more and more. It’s quickly becoming one of my top ten games of all time. I am more thoroughly enjoying myself than I thought possible and I’ve barley defeated two demons.

JimiNutz

Banned
Ok so I'm not sure if I've fucked up already lol

I arrive at the Nexus for the very first time and decide I want to explore. I run around, talk to everyone and eventually run up a long flight of stairs until I'm at a great height.

At the top of the Nexus I read a message on the floor, something about 'have a nice flight'.
Now I thought that since I'm in the Nexus and am already dead, surely I can't die in here?
Of course I jump off... And die.

When I then entered my first Archstone I notice that my health bar is only half full?
I hit some grass and it doesn't increase. There's a a small white divider in the middle of my health bar and no matter how much grass I consume my health won't increase beyond it to full capacity.

Have I fucked up less than an hour into the game by killing myself in the Nexus?!

R6Rider

Gold Member
At the top of the Nexus I read a message on the floor, something about 'have a nice flight'.
Now I thought that since I'm in the Nexus and am already dead, surely I can't die in here?
Of course I jump off... And die.

LMAO

Have I fucked up less than an hour into the game by killing myself in the Nexus?!

Nexus is actually the best place to kill yourself in the game.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

JimiNutz

Banned
You are fine. When you are in soul form, your HP is halved. Explore the level you are in, you will find a helpful item.
LMAO

Nexus is actually the best place to kill yourself in the game.

Thank you, Sir Nutz shall continue on!

My initial impressions are that it's a fucking awesome game. I am finding the start a lot easier than I found Bloodborne when I first tried it and having played some Sekiro I'm finding the parrying relatively easy to achieve.

I decided on just plain boring Knight in the end. I was eyeing up Soldier but will save that for another time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Antelope

Thank you, Sir Nutz shall continue on!

My initial impressions are that it's a fucking awesome game. I am finding the start a lot easier than I found Bloodborne when I first tried it and having played some Sekiro I'm finding the parrying relatively easy to achieve.

I decided on just plain boring Knight in the end. I was eyeing up Soldier but will save that for another time.
Agree, although the start of Bloodborne is just plain cruel.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I went Knight this time w/ claymore and it’s very strong. You’ll need to wear a mix of armor types or use the ring of great strength to avoid fat rolling until you’re high endurance. Splashed a bit of magic for range and buffs but you could do faith as a secondary instead if you prefer.
Don't you know that is offensive to say that??!!!

sarcasm alert

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
EnN9_cbVcAEEybt

JimiNutz

Banned
Ok, after wasting a lot of time dying to a red eye knight, I think I'm about to fight the first proper boss and I currently have over 3000 souls.

I will almost certainly die so should I go and spend those Souls in the Nexus now or fight on :pie_thinking:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When I then entered my first Archstone I notice that my health bar is only half full?
I hit some grass and it doesn't increase. There's a a small white divider in the middle of my health bar and no matter how much grass I consume my health won't increase beyond it to full capacity.
When you die you be in Soul Form and cut your health in half, you either beat a boss to gain your body or use the item called Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

Isa

Gold Member
Ok, after wasting a lot of time dying to a red eye knight, I think I'm about to fight the first proper boss and I currently have over 3000 souls.

I will almost certainly die so should I go and spend those Souls in the Nexus now or fight on :pie_thinking:
I would probably save, if its the one I'm thinking of you need to beat it in order to level up.

JimiNutz

Banned
I would probably save, if its the one I'm thinking of you need to beat it in order to level up.

I went back to the Nexus, repaired my weapons and armour and beat that fat blob on my first attempt. Very easy first boss!

That red eye knight did fuck me up a lot though, need to go back and deal with him later I think.

Duellist

So couple questions concerning a magic/DeX build. Should I be trading a boss demon soul for the fire spray spell? Also what sword would be good for a build like this?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Made some good progress today. I cleared 4-1. The boss there pretty much sits still and lets you kill him. His attacks are so slow it is really easy to dodge them. I then made my way through 2-2 Not sure there was much of a level. I just kept jumping down a pit and then there was a boss gate (?). The boss inside was really hard and took me awhile to beat. The 2-3 boss was then really easy. Some really crazy graphics in those two fights. Probably the best I've ever seen in a videogame.

I think that is as far as I ever made it in the PS3 original. Although I don't remember much of what I played all that time ago everything will now be 100% fresh going forward. I'm going to do 5-1 next. I remember not ever trying it much in the original because it was some ugly cramped swamp and it just pissed me off.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm going to do 5-1 next. I remember not ever trying it much in the original because it was some ugly cramped swamp and it just pissed me off.
during my first DeS playthrough a couple years ago, when i got to this level, i didn't know where to go so i just started walking. i immediately fell to my death at the start of the level. lol.

it was only after i died that i looked around and found the ramp leading up.

From loves to punish you for not paying attention :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • LOL

Sinthor

Gold Member
When you die you be in Soul Form and cut your health in half, you either beat a boss to gain your body or use the item called Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

And you are incentivized somewhat to play in soul form, because of "world tendency." You can see it in your HUD along with character tendency. The more bosses you kill, or get summoned to kill, the 'whiter' the world tendency will get. You do more damage and take less damage with white to pure white tendency. When you die in body form, it moves you towards black. At pure black you do less damage and take more damage...there are also "special" strong enemy phantoms that will be in your level. So the game gets harder the more you die in body form. That's why many players suicide in the Nexus (the only place it's safe to do so) and then play the levels in soul form. ;)

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It looks and plays incredible. It also has been long enough that I played the original, so I don't remember much.

It's impressive how much better I'm at it now than I used to be. Back when it came out, I tried playing a knight, but restarted with a royal/magic build because I didn't get anywhere. I also needed help with almost all bosses. Since then, I've played all follow up souls games and Bloodborne and now I basically went through 1-1 and 1-2 killing both bosses without dying once with a melee build. Having so much fun.

Iorv3th

Ok need some guidance in what to do next.

Bosses beat

Phalanx
Tower Knight

Armor Spider
FlameLurker

LeechMan

Having trouble with the first boss in Skeletonville as I am melee and he one shots me.

Mind flayer prison I ran into a section where I get shot by some magic arrow thing from a really long distance away and don't have a way to counter it. Assuming I need some shield?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
that's pretty badass of them to do that, hide that armor set behind some crazy obscure unlock. it doesn't interfere with lore, but it adds to the game just the same. plus this is something fans have wanted for a long time.

i forgot there even was a crow in this one. i need to find him.

hah this is already in the wiki.

IH6GR1g.jpg

Ok need some guidance in what to do next.

Bosses beat

Phalanx
Tower Knight

Armor Spider
FlameLurker

LeechMan

Having trouble with the first boss in Skeletonville as I am melee and he one shots me.

Mind flayer prison I ran into a section where I get shot by some magic arrow thing from a really long distance away and don't have a way to counter it. Assuming I need some shield?
shields will not save you from getting electro blasted by those dudes. if you get paralyzed your best hope is that it wears off by the time they get to you.

you need to take them out before they even fire (since so often you are in a hallway where nowhere to dodge). think projectiles: magic, fire, or regular arrows. they drop magic refilling items, so using magic on them is nbd.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just made it through all of Valley of Defilement, one of the easier imo overall worlds but still so fun to explore and conquer. This was so well done, Bluepoint has successfully captured the thick atmosphere of these place! on to Latria

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I’m getting my machine today. Can ya’ll fucking imagine that.

it’s fucking crazy that I’m soon about to play a remake of Demon’s, something I essentially started dreaming about from 2013. Absolutely crazy.

Malakhov

Banned
I usually don't like very hard games but this one is being an exception. I can't put my finger on it, it's really enticing, I keep going at it and there is a great sense of accomplishment when you finally go over whatever was kicking your ass.

Should I do a mage build or pure strength build as a begginer? I started with the royalist for soul arrow, circlet and mana ring. I think I am going to try to get the 4-1 falchion after I finished 1-1.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Cleared 5-1. Easy level as long as you go slow. A lot of the paths are tiny. The boss was really easy. I tried sniping him from the start but he regened really quick. On the ground my fire attacks could hit so he melted quickly without any problems. I did have plague for half the level. Is there an item that gets rid of that? I didn't have anything so I had to burn a bunch of healing items while I played.

Also, forced PVP is annoying. I'm working through something and some guy name TITYSCHWANG appears and one shots me with a giant sword and does rude gestures over my corpse. Now I have to start over. What was the point of that.

Duellist

Cleared 5-1. Easy level as long as you go slow. A lot of the paths are tiny. The boss was really easy. I tried sniping him from the start but he regened really quick. On the ground my fire attacks could hit so he melted quickly without any problems. I did have plague for half the level. Is there an item that gets rid of that? I didn't have anything so I had to burn a bunch of healing items while I played.

Also, forced PVP is annoying. I'm working through something and some guy name TITYSCHWANG appears and one shots me with a giant sword and does rude gestures over my corpse. Now I have to start over. What was the point of that.
Ya it sucks but it's a part of the souls experience. That's why you play the level in soul form. Can't get invaded and when you die it doesn't affect world tendency.

Last edited:
I haven't played this game in close to a decade and I'm still remembering around 90% of enemy and item placements, yet it's not detracting from my enjoyment whatsoever. In fact, I think I'm having more fun now than I did the first time. It's incredible.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Widow's lotus or the "cure" miracle are the only cures for plague I'm aware of. You can get 3 Widow's lotus in 3-1 if you drop off a balcony...

Top Bottom