• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I play in cinematic from time to time. It’s highly underrated. Game looks like a dream. Difference isn’t so noticeable in videos but close up on a 4k screen you can tell.

Plus, the original was in 30fps. I’ve beaten the old game several times at 30. This is that but with solid performance and full 4K.

U just have to crank up motion blur when you do it.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
One thing I have noticed. The messages in Dark Souls 3 are a million times better. All the messages here are generic and they neutered it to exclude the super silly messages. Either that or it was more generic on original as well and dont remember. No more "Time for two handed and sticky white stuff" messages.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Spent a bit of time this morning in 4-1, and finally got that Crescent Falchion +1. Thanks for the tip cormack12 cormack12 !

I also spent some time grinding on those blue eyed skeletons at the first of this level, and was able to level up about 5 more times. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm making a bit of progress even though I haven't really done anything substantial.

Ooccoo

Did they up the difficulty of the game? I remember beating it on PS3 but now on PS5 it seems way harder, or I've lost my skills. Can't beat Tower Knight or even Fool's Idol, which AFAIK wasn't even a hard boss. It seems like everywhere I go I get completely destroyed.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did they up the difficulty of the game? I remember beating it on PS3 but now on PS5 it seems way harder, or I've lost my skills. Can't beat Tower Knight or even Fool's Idol, which AFAIK wasn't even a hard boss. It seems like everywhere I go I get completely destroyed.
Fool's idol can be tricky. What does Tower Knight do to kill you? His attacks are pretty telegraphed. First get to a point where you understand his attacks and take no damage, then try to actually get in to hit him. He doesn't have that many attacks and is slow, which one gets you so fast you have no time to at least run away?

He should generally do the shield ground bash when you're relatively close up and you can simply run forward to get behind him rather than try to get away to dodge it. Hit his ankle a few times after that then he tries to stomp you slowly lifting his leg first so you just get a bit further away and repeat the whole process.

Last edited:

Ooccoo

Fool's idol can be tricky. What does Tower Knight do to kill you? His attacks are pretty telegraphed. First get to a point where you understand his attacks and take no damage, then try to actually get in to hit him. He doesn't have that many attacks and is slow, which one gets you so fast you have no time to at least run away?

He should generally do the shield ground bash when you're relatively close up and you can simply run forward to get behind him rather than try to get away to dodge it. Hit his ankle a few times after that then he tries to stomp you slowly lifting his leg first so you just get a bit further away and repeat the whole process.
It feels like I don't deal that much damage (iron sword+2) and his AOE is kinda hard to dodge as a melee character. I'll try again soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
didn't have an issue with either of those bosses. don't forget the Fool's Idol fight requires a little exploration. and yeah TK only gets really damaged in a certain area.

vpance

It feels like I don't deal that much damage (iron sword+2) and his AOE is kinda hard to dodge as a melee character. I'll try again soon.

Upgrade your weapon more.

When I played melee classes I remember usually getting Dragon Long Sword first before going on to fight TK, and world 3, 4 and 5. Game is pretty challenging at the start if your dmg rating is that low.

Alexios

You mean you don't do enough damage to the legs to drop him or to the head once he's dropped? Either way he should be doable with some practice even if you're technically too early for him since his attacks are easy to avoid once you get it down so it's just a matter of repeating the cycle few more times than usual.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only one more boss to beat on my first character (Strength build). Only bosses that have taken more than 1 attempt have been Flamelurker, The Penetrator, and Maneater. Had a pretty fun fight for the Old Monk, even though the guy hid behind his Spiked Shield the whole time. He couldn't escape my Dozer Axe.

Second solo character will be magic based I think. I also want to make a fun build for invading at some point.

I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be going to slow... I mean I’m Soul level 32 and I still feel like a wimp when I fight bosses but I guess I am much stronger than most regular enemies I fight lately.

im going to be hammering at the boss of 2-2 today until I take him down. Those tunnels and lava area is creepy. Damn I really love this game, feel like it’s going to last me a looooong time as well. Like even past the launch of cyberpunk long so I could wait for them to patch it and play the next gen version if I’m still going with this (who am I kidding).

R6Rider

Gold Member
I’m not sure if I’m supposed to be going to slow... I mean I’m Soul level 32 and I still feel like a wimp when I fight bosses but I guess I am much stronger than most regular enemies I fight lately.

im going to be hammering at the boss of 2-2 today until I take him down. Those tunnels and lava area is creepy. Damn I really love this game, feel like it’s going to last me a looooong time as well. Like even past the launch of cyberpunk long so I could wait for them to patch it and play the next gen version if I’m still going with this (who am I kidding).

Leveling slows down a lot once you hit like 50 or so. I'm almost done with all the bosses at SL 62 I think (about 21k souls to level). Each of your stats has a point where the diminishing returns aren't worth leveling it up any more unless doing NG+ or PvP or a strict build.

Beating Flamelurker (2-2 boss) is a big step because you can then forge weapons and spells from boss souls

I totally killed Flamelurcker without summoning anyone. Perfect KO, he didn't stand a chance *cough*

Anyways..... Should I be paying attention to the whole tendency thing or not? I'm not even sure what it really does to be honest, or how I'm supposed to know what world is which tendency.

Beating Flamelurker (2-2 boss) is a big step because you can then forge weapons and spells from boss souls
Where!?

Last edited:
Anyone else in love with the 3d audio? I swear I hear sounds in the game and have to pull my headphones off to make sure I’m not hearing something from the real world. This has happened multiple times In 4-1.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I totally killed Flamelurcker without summoning anyone. Perfect KO, he didn't stand a chance *cough*

Anyways..... Should I be paying attention to the whole tendency thing or not? I'm not even sure what it really does to be honest, or how I'm supposed to know what world is which tendency.

Where!?

You talk to Blacksmith Ed (2-1 by using the shortcut, but going down) enough and he'll mention the Searing Soul from Flamelurker. Give to him and he will then allow you to upgrade weapons (weapon tier depends on boss weapon) by using Boss Souls. Such as the Dozer Axe using the Gray Demon's Soul dropped by the Vanguards.

As for World Tendency, it matters if you want certain items or to complete certain events. It's very easy to screw yourself over on a playthrough by being impossible to get back to Pure White or Pure Black. It's highly recommended you follow a guide if you want to experience it fully.

There is also Character Tendency which has separate effects.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I think I maybe made a mistake picking Knight.
My armour is so fucking heavy.

I'm trying to outrun this damn dragon and often I make it but sometimes my fat slow butt is cooked in the flames.

I've pumped a fair few souls into my endurance to increase my stamina so that I can run for longer (endurance is currently at 15 - think I started at 10?) but I still get caught in the flames too often for my liking.

Do the items I carry all slow me down as well? I've picked up a fair few swords, shields and other items that I don't use so I've stuck it all in storage - will that make me lighter or is it only my equipped items that count towards my weight?

Alexios

You should be able to outrun it regardless of your equipment if you time it right (basically follow right behind the flames) but you can always just unequip a couple pieces of gear for that part and then put it back on if you don't have the strength ring or better lighter armor yet, it's not glued on you.

Last edited:

Chiggs

This Infinite Luck glitch totally makes up for the item duplication glitch being removed. I'm level 999 and these fools are dropping everything you can imagine.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I'm trying to outrun this damn dragon and often I make it but sometimes my fat slow butt is cooked in the flames.

I've pumped a fair few souls into my endurance to increase my stamina so that I can run for longer (endurance is currently at 15 - think I started at 10?) but I still get caught in the flames too often for my liking.

Do the items I carry all slow me down as well? I've picked up a fair few swords, shields and other items that I don't use so I've stuck it all in storage - will that make me lighter or is it only my equipped items that count towards my weight?

Only equipped gear slows you down. Just so you know there is also the path below the bridge, that lets you skip some flame running, assuming it's the longer bridge/wall.

Most people just take off their gear and do the run. You can also get really close to where the flame begins to start running, as you have to be close to burn. And almost right after the flame dies down you can then run safely.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Equip Weight and Carry Weight.
Either of those or maybe both are causing issues.
Solutions:
drop stuff off at Stockpile Thomas and increase equip weight limit.

JimiNutz

Banned
You should be able to outrun it regardless of your equipment if you time it right (basically follow right behind the flames) but you can always just unequip a couple pieces of gear for that part and then put it back on if you don't have the strength ring or better lighter armor yet, it's not glued on you.

I'm such a derp.
Why didn't I remove some of these items earlier! I made Sir Nutz all handsome and he's been hiding his good looks under that stupid helmet this whole time.

Alexios

I don't think carry weight affects you. But good tip, storing the crafting mats (smiths still have access to it, no worries about transfering back and forth) and say, keeping 25 of each useful item (100 for arrows) etc. as max for each run should mean you never worry about the limit/loot everything.

Edit: I guess in the remake that's never an issue (I had trouble early on before doing the above in the original, having to drop some items to get some armor loot) either, you can send items to storage right from your inventory instead of visit the nexus and the guy, might as well remove the limit...

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Only equipped gear slows you down. Just so you know there is also the path below the bridge, that lets you skip some flame running, assuming it's the longer bridge/wall.

Most people just take off their gear and do the run. You can also get really close to where the flame begins to start running, as you have to be close to burn. And almost right after the flame dies down you can then run safely.

Thanks.
Yeah I has been using that. I was actually at the fog wall bit where you have to make the run with all the enemies in the way and had managed to skip a lot of the flame running already

I had tried to time the runs as well but it was my first attempt at that particular part and I guess I got it wrong.

Time to try it again, this time naked and pumped full of endurance.

As for World Tendency, it matters if you want certain items or to complete certain events. It's very easy to screw yourself over on a playthrough by being impossible to get back to Pure White or Pure Black. It's highly recommended you follow a guide if you want to experience it fully.

You can always get back to Pure Black. But I agree that Pure White might require a new game+ and some very careful play to get to.

Thanks.
Yeah I has been using that. I was actually at the fog wall bit where you have to make the run with all the enemies in the way and had managed to skip a lot of the flame running already

I had tried to time the runs as well but it was my first attempt at that particular part and I guess I got it wrong.

Time to try it again, this time naked and pumped full of endurance.

Are you pushing on straight to the next boss after defeating the Phalanx? You’re new to the game on PS5? how good is it!

I played for a good 7 hours yesterday and I didn’t defeat one boss but I feel I made a lot of character progress. I haven’t strength and endurance up decently by I feel like I’m probably going to need some vitality also.

I also chose Knight and have been fat rolling the whole time. I only just got to a position where I can have my equipment weight under 50% if I equip the right stuff. I’m using spear as my main weapon it really kicks arse using board and poker as a knight. I’m looking forward to starting again with a new character and seeing what magic is like.

You talk to Blacksmith Ed (2-1 by using the shortcut, but going down) enough and he'll mention the Searing Soul from Flamelurker. Give to him and he will then allow you to upgrade weapons (weapon tier depends on boss weapon) by using Boss Souls. Such as the Dozer Axe using the Gray Demon's Soul dropped by the Vanguards.

Damn, I need to read up on this. I'll probably tackle the Blighttown looking area tonight, but I'll read up on this tendency mechanic and see if I really need to get a grip on it.

decisions

I was really enjoying the game until I got to
Dragon God

As far as I can tell, this boss is supposed to be like a puzzle that you figure out (you don't do any damage to it in the traditional sense). However, I just don't see what I am supposed to do. I am trying to look at visual cues from the boss to figure out where he's going to hit and when it's safe to move but it seems like any determination is wrong. I see that his eyes turn from red to yellow sometimes, so I am guessing that you are supposed to hide somewhere and keep his eyes yellow, but I have no idea where that would be...

Figuring this out has totally sucked the fun out of the game for me. I feel like I just beat
Flamelurker
, which really changed my skills in the game's main mechanics, and got rewarded with nothing.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was really enjoying the game until I got to
Dragon God

As far as I can tell, this boss is supposed to be like a puzzle that you figure out (you don't do any damage to it in the traditional sense). However, I just don't see what I am supposed to do. I am trying to look at visual cues from the boss to figure out where he's going to hit and when it's safe to move but it seems like any determination is wrong. I see that his eyes turn from red to yellow sometimes, so I am guessing that you are supposed to hide somewhere and keep his eyes yellow, but I have no idea where that would be...

Figuring this out has totally sucked the fun out of the game for me. I feel like I just beat
Flamelurker[\SPOILER], which really changed my skills in the game's main mechanics, and got rewarded with nothing.

It’s a little annoying but straightforward. Just slowly head to the right and try to stay out of the dragon’s vision. The debris can be destroyed with range attacks (I used magic), and there are a couple hiding spots along the way. Get to the device, then over to the next device, then carefully coup de grace. Range attacks preferred.

JimiNutz

Banned
Are you pushing on straight to the next boss after defeating the Phalanx? You’re new to the game on PS5? how good is it!

I played for a good 7 hours yesterday and I didn’t defeat one boss but I feel I made a lot of character progress. I haven’t strength and endurance up decently by I feel like I’m probably going to need some vitality also.

I also chose Knight and have been fat rolling the whole time. I only just got to a position where I can have my equipment weight under 50% if I equip the right stuff. I’m using spear as my main weapon it really kicks arse using board and poker as a knight. I’m looking forward to starting again with a new character and seeing what magic is like.

Yes, I'm completely new to the game and started with Knight. Absolutely loving the game so far.

I managed to beat the Phalanx in my first play session last night so was feeling relatively confident that I had got to grips with the basics of combat and the gameplay systems. Woops.

My second session tonight didn't go as well lol

I pushed straight onto the next boss and have been fat rolling the whole time using the long sword and kite shield.

I managed to make my way to the tower knight boss quite quickly but knew straight away that my fat rolling wasn't gonna cut it. I couldn't evade any of his attacks and when I did manage to get close to him it seemed like my weapons did minimal amounts of damage. After two or three attempts at him I decided that I need to try and upgrade my weapons and lose some weight!

So I've spent this evening gathering as many souls and shards as I can to try and upgrade my long sword so that it hopefully does more damage.

I also ditched all of the heavy armour that I was wearing and am naked everywhere other than my torso which is wearing the blue eyed knight piece. Finally I can roll properly!

I noticebly take more damage in combat but being able to roll around enemies is pretty awesome and Sir Nutz feels so much better to handle in combat now as I dance around my enemies and thrust away with my long sword.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having a great time. I also briefly went exploring some mines in the next Archstone and took some miners from behind. Great game.

Alexios

Edit: nm, thought you're the guy who said you had played the original and found it harder this time around in the remake but that was another dude before your first posts I replied to. Tower Knight objective, it should have been evident organically since you can only target lock on these points:
You just hit his ankles and they spew more and more steam or whatever, eventually after doing it enough on both he falls over and you do major damage hitting his head, you repeat this cycle a few times depending on how much damage you do, it's almost like a Zelda boss and fairly easy.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Seems like you've just totally forgotten how the fight went when you first played the game. Spolier:
you hit his ankles and they spew more and more steam or whatever, eventually after doing it enough on both he falls over and you do major damage hitting his head.

I saw some blue liquid looking stuff coming out of his legs but his health bar barely went down at all and Sir Nutz felt too slow and heavy to roll out of the way of his attacks. One or two hits and I was dead.

I assume I'm supposed to roll out the way of his attacks? Sir Nutz wasn't rolling out of anything. His roll looked comically slow in comparison to how he rolls now.

Fuck, I was just about to go to bed but I think I can take him now and want another go! I'm much more confident that I can get behind him now and avoid his attacks, plus my long sword thrusts harder now!

Alexios

Again just try to run around him and bait his attacks to see exactly the animations each has and the attack range and what not. He doesn't have many. When you get close enough he should be doing the shield bash, you want that as he super slowly raises the shield giving you time to get behind. Then he might try to stomp on you if you don't deal enough damage fast enough but you can easily avoid that too from that position, there's really no need to roll either. If there's no convincing effect when hitting one then it's time to move to the other. You might find it easier if you don't lock on?

This guy doesn't even kill the crossbowmen first, hahah. I had not tried doing that and you don't have to.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Dude I just got around to Old King Allant. I am getting trashed. He stole 3 of my soul levels. I forgot about that insane game mechanic. I was literally unable to lift my sword in the middle of a battle. Know I have to grind those levels back. Son of a bitch. Flamelurker and tower knight are a cake walk people. All you have to do is run away and jump in after they ground bash.

Might just come back to King Allant later. He just pissed me off and I pissed myself off for getting grabbed so much.

My PS5 got delayed until today so up until it arrived i was playing Demons Souls on PS3 to get hype. Just booted the remake up and completely floored after playing on PS3 for the last few days.

this game looks damn good, praise the sun for the photo mode!
wSu1Rjx.jpg

hpccSqM.jpg

Alexios

Dude I just got around to Old King Allant. I am getting trashed. He stole 3 of my soul levels. I forgot about that insane game mechanic. I was literally unable to lift my sword in the middle of a battle. Know I have to grind those levels back. Son of a bitch. Flamelurker and tower knight are a cake walk people. All you have to do is run away and jump in after they ground bash.

Might just come back to King Allant later. He just pissed me off and I pissed myself off for getting grabbed so much.
Just always keep your distance with Old King and only do short combos after circling to avoid his rush then getting back away to avoid the grabs and everything else. You'll get down avoiding all his attacks soon enough with some practice. Cool fight but ultimately simple enough AI.

To keep retrying easily in the original what I did was reset the game if it looked like I was about to die and it usually got me back in right at the ghost gate with other bosses, I forget if that one was a bit weirder and I had to redo the elevator or not, dunno if remake has faster ways too.

If it's in the remake at all of course, I dunno. I actually discovered it after the Old King during later bosses which is why I'm not sure if you had to redo the elevator or not when using that trick on him, I didn't know of it at the time since I went way earlier than I was supposed to myself...

Last edited:

timmyp53

Just always keep your distance with Old King and only do short combos after circling to avoid his rush then getting back away to avoid the grabs and everything else. You'll get down avoiding all his attacks soon enough with some practice. Cool fight but ultimately simple enough AI.

To keep retrying easily in the original what I did was reset the game if it looked like I was about to die and it usually got me back in right at the ghost gate with other bosses, I forget if that one was a bit weirded and I had to redo the elevator or not, dunno if remake has faster ways too.
Yep I know I'll have to go in with a mid range strategy for him but I didn't execute well. Losing just really stings on him obviously. I'll have to give it another go later. I was just thrown off because of soul level stealing and losing weapons etc.

Top Bottom