• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Callibretto said:
I made a post about this earlier that the lack of voice chat may actually contribute to the overall atmosphere and immersion which is one of the game's selling point. I mean, I don't really want summoning souls to aid my quest but then the souls start talking, chatting about real life, maybe cursing etc. completely destroy the atmosphere imo

This is true, but if they simply give you the option of ignoring the others or something that would be fine. Imagine playing with your friends who aren't chatting away like morons, it would be nice to actually communicate a little during the game.

Anyway, I don't know why it hasn't been announced for release outside of the original two territories, but because of that I'm picking up the asian version.

RavenFox said:
Pretty much sums it up. So how is it going for those who have it?

Honestly I've been all over the net and have talked to many people that are playing it and the ones that have had issues with it continue to say that the more they play, and the farther they get into the game, the more they love it. I really haven't seen any negative impressions for it -- maybe things like "Oh I wish they did this, instead of that" but nothing extraordinary or swaying. Once some GAFers get a hold of this in two weeks there will be some very good impressions/opinions.

Doctor_No

This game is pretty awesome. I've been playing it more (currently ~Lv40) and I feel embarrassed with my initial negativity. I'd go far as to say it probably one of the best action-RPGs I've played in awhile.

I'm beginning to appreciate how deep this combat system is the more I play. First impressions of the combat system is that its somewhat simplistic, but as you start playing and confront the large variety of enemies in this game you start to appreciate its depth. Every weapon, every move, changes your approach to how you fight enemies, you actually have to think before your approach an enemy and not just button-mash.

Some thoughts on the combat system:

>>The game is challenging. Its not for everybody, you can't think of this game as a hack-and-slash. How you would attack a Chuthulu-like creature, is different then a goblin, and is different then a human or slime. Groups of enemies require different tactics. Its hard but always rewarding.

>> Boss battles are well-thought out and an unique experience. You can't just grind your way to beat them, you have to figure out what strategy works. Part of the reason why this game is entirely open-ended after the first boss is that while player levels do matter, you can't just go to a weaker level and expect to sweep through it without a thought.

>>When you guard an enemy attack, first your stamina gauge gets depleted. So for a strong enemy they will guard break you in a single hit, for that reason its actually worth the risk to parry attacks by stronger enemies since your guard can be overpowered. The risk-reward system is very well done. With a little thought and some skill you can beat a much stronger enemy then you.

>>Running and evasive moves also take up stamina, so you have to consider it before attacking an enemy. For instance, if you're on a bridge with archers at the end and a Wyvern is burning you from above so you have to quickly dash across the bridge; you have to think about how much stamina you will have left after the dash to confront the archers. You have to create a strategy, the good thing about this game is that the level design is so good that there are multiple solutions (you can go within the bridge and avoid the Wyvern, and come out the other side).

>> You can equip different weapons on different hands. For instance, you can equip a rapier in your left hand, and a longsword in your right. You can use the rapier to parry ala Three Musketeer style and attack with your long sword in a combo move. Also, you can equip a wand in your left hand and enchant the weapon in your right. Crossbow in the left, attack with the right. Or you can have one heavy sword/axe and wield it with both arms. Lots of combinations.

ChrisD84

Nice impressions Doctor_No, i'm getting more and more interested in the game after reading all of the positive things being said about it :D

sh4mike said:
I've been watching this guy play for awhile -- bad player but funny guy. He just finished the first playthrough and has started the (much harder) second round.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/10864406

Most players should not worry about the difficulty. If this guy can do it, most anyone can.

I'll check him out for sure, thanks!. Things have been slow, just waiting for the game to release at this point :) the justin.tv user esegk stopped broadcasting since SFIV came out, BUT today I logged in and noticed he was playing again. He had this really cool armor set called The Old Kings armor. Got me psyched up again for the game.

Doctor_No said:
>> You can equip different weapons on different hands. For instance, you can equip a rapier in your left hand, and a longsword in your right. You can use the rapier to parry ala Three Musketeer style and attack with your long sword in a combo move. Also, you can equip a wand in your left hand and enchant the weapon in your right. Crossbow in the left, attack with the right. Or you can have one heavy sword/axe and wield it with both arms. Lots of combinations.

This is awesome, I did not know that. I did know you could dual-wield, but different weapons is a whole different beast. That definitely adds to the depth, great way to strategize. Thanks for your impressions Doctor_No! Very glad you're enjoying it :)

Wrath2X said:
So is this game worth buying??

I wanna know what game its most similar to.

King's Field, but in third person.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Doctor_No said:
This game is pretty awesome. I've been playing it more (currently ~Lv40) and I feel embarrassed with my initial negativity. I'd go far as to say it probably one of the best action-RPGs I've played in awhile.

I'm beginning to appreciate how deep this combat system is the more I play. First impressions of the combat system is that its somewhat simplistic, but as you start playing and confront the large variety of enemies in this game you start to appreciate its depth. Every weapon, every move, changes your approach to how you fight enemies, you actually have to think before your approach an enemy and not just button-mash.

Some thoughts on the combat system:

>>The game is challenging. Its not for everybody, you can't think of this game as a hack-and-slash. How you would attack a Chuthulu-like creature, is different then a goblin, and is different then a human or slime. Groups of enemies require different tactics. Its hard but always rewarding.

>> Boss battles are well-thought out and an unique experience. You can't just grind your way to beat them, you have to figure out what strategy works. Part of the reason why this game is entirely open-ended after the first boss is that while player levels do matter, you can't just go to a weaker level and expect to sweep through it without a thought.

>>When you guard an enemy attack, first your stamina gauge gets depleted. So for a strong enemy they will guard break you in a single hit, for that reason its actually worth the risk to parry attacks by stronger enemies since your guard can be overpowered. The risk-reward system is very well done. With a little thought and some skill you can beat a much stronger enemy then you.

>>Running and evasive moves also take up stamina, so you have to consider it before attacking an enemy. For instance, if you're on a bridge with archers at the end and a Wyvern is burning you from above so you have to quickly dash across the bridge; you have to think about how much stamina you will have left after the dash to confront the archers. You have to create a strategy, the good thing about this game is that the level design is so good that there are multiple solutions (you can go within the bridge and avoid the Wyvern, and come out the other side).

Nice! That sounds fantastic, can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Doctor_No

Wrath2X said:
So is this game worth buying??

I wanna know what game its most similar to.

Honestly. The game isn't for everyone. The difficulty level is pretty high, but its a rewarding game. The general issue is that the beginning of the game is not representative of the whole game. When you first play, you are stuck in one area, and you can't level up, you can't upgrade your weapon, and you can only approach your enemy one way relative to your class. Until you beat the first boss (2-5 hours of gameplay), you are stuck with it. Once you beat the first demon, you are free to go anywhere in the game, level up, play the game the way you want to play it. Its completely open-ended. And the game really starts. (in fact, one of the pre-canned comments you can leave to other players in this game is "This is where Demon Soul really begins".)

The game gets better as you play. At first, unless its your starting class you can't do magic spells or do cleric spells (called 'miracles' in this game) unless you have a wand or a talisman. Magic becomes very useful once you get the Sword of Geri (you get MP for attacking enemies) and the game gets a LOT less tedious when you get healing spells and the Return spell (a spell that sends you back to the Nexus with all your souls). Until you get these items the game is a lot of trail and error. You also need the ring at the first area that gives you 75% of you HP even while in soul form. Once you get them, it gets more enjoyable.

The 9/7/7/6 review by Famitsu is pretty representative of this game. To some people, like me, its absolutely amazing, an easy '9', however, to others it won't be. If I had to compare it, it would close to Monster Hunter which is also another love or hate game that gets better the more you play. Granted, this game does not have a quest system or is as in-depth with the item creation system as MH, but the core-gameplay is far superior imho. This game has an opportunity to become a cult hit.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This is awesome, I did not know that. I did know you could dual-wield, but different weapons is a whole different beast. That definitely adds to the depth, great way to strategize. Thanks for your impressions Doctor_No! Very glad you're enjoying it :)

You can even have two shields, equipped one in each hand, attacking with one, blocking with the other. It doesn't matter how silly it sounds, it'll work.

The general rule is R1 is attack, R2 is heavy attack, L1 is block, and L2 is parry. If you have a weapon in the left hand L1 becomes attacking with the weapon. If you put a shield in the right hand you will attack with the shield. If you have a bow or arrow, R1 will shoot. If you have a wand, R1/L1 becomes casting, and R2 becomes heavy stabbing with the wand. etc.

You can equip two items per hand, and switch them out with the d-pad. So you can have a lot of combinations and you are not stuck with a set. So you could do a double Katana, and switch out to a shield in the left hand on the fly by pressing left, or switch out to a bow on the right hand by pressing right on the d-pad. It works out very well.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Is this game like Kings Field 1 for PSX (the only one I've played) in that it's really hard to figure out where to go next? Or are you generally guided on the right path?

Doctor_No

sykoex said:
Is this game like Kings Field 1 for PSX (the only one I've played) in that it's really hard to figure out where to go next? Or are you generally guided on the right path?

Its not that hard to figure out where to go next. There are five areas you start with once you beat the first demon, and there are multiple ways to beat each level, you can go back and forth between the areas based on your mood. You won't get lost, but its not linear.

Truth be told, I found King's Field a little slow and cumbersome. This game isn't and is more accessible to a larger audience. It's the closest thing to a 3D Symphony of the Night as there possibilty is. You can't jump, but its an action-RPG, with a decent pace and a large variety of enemies in a Gothic setting.

Thanks for the impressions, Doctor_No! It makes the wait for the 24th even more unbearable.

Question: I've noticed in some videos that when you go to pick a stage to port to in the Nexus, some stages have multiple sub-stages you can pick from. Are these just checkpoints or are they whole other stages contained within in the same stage "theme"?

Doctor_No

Diseased Yak said:
Thanks for the impressions, Doctor_No! It makes the wait for the 24th even more unbearable.

Question: I've noticed in some videos that when you go to pick a stage to port to in the Nexus, some stages have multiple sub-stages you can pick from. Are these just checkpoints or are they whole other stages contained within in the same stage "theme"?

Each area in the game is pretty large, so after you beat a boss you have a warp point from that area, so you don't have to walk through the whole area again. Its almost like a whole other stage, its well varied, but its part of the same area. For instance, at the dark tower area, you start at bottom in the torture chambers, which is the first part, and the second part after you beat the first boss opens out to up-top the towers with flying gargoyles, etc.

Doctor_No said:
Each area in the game is pretty large, so after you beat a boss you have a warp point from that area, so you don't have to walk through the whole area again. Its almost like a whole other stage, its well varied, but its part of the same area. For instance, at the dark tower area, you start at bottom in the torture chambers, which is the first part, and the second part after you beat the first boss opens out to up-top the towers with flying gargoyles, etc.

Awesome, thank you sir!

The gargoyles you refer to must be the boss in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Hc85xHMA4

What class is that, btw? It looks like a monk or some such, but is using a sword the size of a canoe.

Doctor_No

Diseased Yak said:
Awesome, thank you sir!

The gargoyles you refer to must be the boss in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Hc85xHMA4

What class is that, btw? It looks like a monk or some such, but is using a sword the size of a canoe.

That's the ManEater, the boss for the second area. The gargoyles are weaker enemies also in the same area. In the game you can look like pretty much any class based on the armor, and you can equip any weapon as long as you meet the stat requirements for the weapon. In fact, I killed Yurd, the Silent Chief, and stole his armor and look like him now. Also, in the video he enchants the sword before the battle.

Sorry, I can't let this thread go for 2 days with no bumpage. Doctor_No, any new impressions to feed us starving folks waiting on the Asian version? I'm trying like hell not to watch any new videos, but the sheer amount up on niconico is hard to resist. I'm going to know this whole game before I ever play a minute of it!

Doctor_No

Diseased Yak said:
Sorry, I can't let this thread go for 2 days with no bumpage. Doctor_No, any new impressions to feed us starving folks waiting on the Asian version? I'm trying like hell not to watch any new videos, but the sheer amount up on niconico is hard to resist. I'm going to know this whole game before I ever play a minute of it!

I'm at Level 82 right now. The game gets better the more you play. Its insanely hard, but the core-gameplay is very good. Best 3D action-RPG in a long time.

#One thing I'm really appreciating is that you can't just level-up or have some super strong weapon and expect to play the whole game with it. This is a problem with many RPGs, you quickly discard weapons/armor when you get a new one, in many RPGs equipment is the the same thing just stronger, weaker weapons get redundant - not so with this game. The game makes you change-out your weapons/strategy and take different approaches to succeed, so just having one strong weapon doesn't work. For instance, at the beginning you have a slash-based weapon(sword), but when you get to StoneFang it does little damage, you need a piercing weapon to do damage to the trolls. You need blunt-weapons to do damage to the hard-shelled fire-mites, and magic based weapons to do damage to the Cthulhu things.

#The enemies inhabit the areas, they live there, and they belong there. This game doesn't have an environment and have random enemies there, all enemies match in with the environment, and not all of them come to attack you. Example, in the torture chambers, many of the prisoners run up to you, but they don't attack you, they pray to you (almost like they are being asked to end their lives), in StoneFang, the trolls are mining ore, only the one with pick-axes will try to kill you, the others will just keep doing their job. Every enemy in this game matches the environment, and there aren't any different colored enemies that are reused throughout the game.

#There are some absolutely EPIC bosses later in the game. Not only are some of the them huge (I don't mean two-stories huge, I mean 8 stories huge), the variation in incredibly entertaining. For instance, there is one boss that basically throws you in a room with a bunch of other players, and to beat it you have to kill each other PvP battle-royale style (If you're offline they have AI characters).

#Level designs are AMAZING. You don't go through this game in a linear fashion, there are multiple routes to every situation. For instance, there is a decrepit castle, and a huge Guillotine monster standing in your way. You could 1.) kill him if your strong enough 2.) run around him 3.) find a secret passage and avoid him altogether 4.) find another way that doesn't take you through that castle 5.) kill him from a distance using a bow-and-arrow or magic. Every stage is like this, every stage has multiple routes.

# Its an online game you play like its offline. This is innovative. Even though you play this game online, its a personal experience, its not like a normal online game. You get tips, you see other players, but you don't have to play like a MMORPG. This game is insanely hard, but you get tips from players, and you can see how other players die and play. Using the online mode right severely cuts down on the trail and error.

I'll post some pics later.

john tv

Doctor_No said:
I'm at Level 82 right now. The game gets better the more you play. Its insanely hard, but the core-gameplay is very good. Best 3D action-RPG in a long time.

#One thing I'm really appreciating is that you can't just level-up or have some super strong weapon and expect to play the whole game with it. This is a problem with many RPGs, you quickly discard weapons/armor when you get a new one, in many RPGs equipment is the the same thing just stronger, weaker weapons get redundant - not so with this game. The game makes you change-out your weapons/strategy and take different approaches to succeed, so just having one strong weapon doesn't work. For instance, at the beginning you have a slash-based weapon(sword), but when you get to StoneFang it does little damage, you need a piercing weapon to do damage to the trolls. You need blunt-weapons to do damage to the hard-shelled fire-mites, and magic based weapons to do damage to the Cthulhu things.

#The enemies inhabit the areas, they live there, and they belong there. This game doesn't have an environment and have random enemies there, all enemies match in with the environment, and not all of them come to attack you. Example, in the torture chambers, many of the prisoners run up to you, but they don't attack you, they pray to you (almost like they are being asked to end their lives), in StoneFang, the trolls are mining ore, only the one with pick-axes will try to kill you, the others will just keep doing their job. Every enemy in this game matches the environment, and there aren't any different colored enemies that are reused throughout the game.

#There are some absolutely EPIC bosses later in the game. Not only are some of the them huge (I don't mean two-stories huge, I mean 8 stories huge), the variation in incredibly entertaining. For instance, there is one boss that basically throws you in a room with a bunch of other players, and to beat it you have to kill each other PvP battle-royale style (If you're offline they have AI characters).

#Level designs are AMAZING. You don't go through this game in a linear fashion, there are multiple routes to every situation. For instance, there is a decrepit castle, and a huge Guillotine monster standing in your way. You could 1.) kill him if your strong enough 2.) run around him 3.) find a secret passage and avoid him altogether 4.) find another way that doesn't take you through that castle 5.) kill him from a distance using a bow-and-arrow or magic. Every stage is like this, every stage has multiple routes.

# Its an online game you play like its offline. This is innovative. Even though you play this game online, its a personal experience, its not like a normal online game. You get tips, you see other players, but you don't have to play like a MMORPG. This game is insanely hard, but you get tips from players, and you can see how other players die and play. Using the online mode right severely cuts down on the trail and error.

I'll post some pics later.

This sounds hot. Must play soon!

Doctor_No said:
awesome impressions

And here I thought that I had maxed out the hype meter! HOLY SHIT! Well, that's it. I'm quitting my job next week when this gets here. Recession? Bah!

Also, Gyoru, that video is beyond awesome LOL, thanks!

Mirimar

I don't agree that you have to constantly change weapons, though. I've seen many play diaries of players that go through it completely using only 1 type. I guess it's a choice you can make, whether or not you actually make the effort to switch weapons.

I ended up finishing KMOT's play diary and now he's going through New Game+ naked (no armor). He initially tried to do it without his old primary weapons too, but yea...that didn't go so well :lol I'm definitely going to try out the 2H ax/ 1H ax + shield combo.

Here's a link to KMOT's mylist if you're interested in his New Game+ naked boss run.
P1 for those without registration:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6160849

And unless he's been reforging his ax throughout his playthrough, he's kept the same one the entire game. I think he's just been upgrading it...but it does massive damage, like 300+

Doctor_No

Mirimar said:
I don't agree that you have to constantly change weapons, though. I've seen many play diaries of players that go through it completely using only 1 type. I guess it's a choice you can make, whether or not you actually make the effort to switch weapons.

I ended up finishing KMOT's play diary and now he's going through New Game+ naked (no armor). He initially tried to do it without his old primary weapons too, but yea...that didn't go so well :lol I'm definitely going to try out the 2H ax/ 1H ax + shield combo.

Here's a link to KMOT's mylist if you're interested in his New Game+ naked boss run.
P1 for those without registration:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6160849

And unless he's been reforging his ax throughout his playthrough, he's kept the same one the entire game. I think he's just been upgrading it...but it does massive damage, like 300+

You don't have to change weapons, but if you're smart you would target each enemies' weakness. The game can be insanely hard, but by approaching each situation right, you can make it much much easier.

I've kept the Scimitar the entire game (currently at Level +8), but I've used different weapons based on the need. The bow+arrow becomes really useful once you can buy arrows for 5-10 souls. You can still beat enemies regardless of the weapon, but using the right weapon can make it much more efficient. Like I said before, you can play this game the way you want, but following the right advice can make this game less tedious. It comes down to the way you play, you can approach each enemy with the axe, or the long sword, or magic, it's up to you.

Doctor_No

Pics... (me taking picture of my monitor. . . sorry for the quality)

My Armour I stole from Yurt, the Silent Chief. . . he's an NPC maybe you shouldn't kill... but I liked his armor. (kinda looks like my avatar. . .)

God Handx2 @ Nexus.

Axe + Claw

Katana + Rapier

kevm3

This game seems amazing. Seems like the sort of gritty, oft-ignored game that I could really dig into. Is this coming to America or would I have to import the Asian version with English option?

I love Sony pumping money into games like this. Reminds me of the PS1 days.

whoa, that looks cool as hell. I've made up my mind, I'm passing Street Fighter 4 to get this instead. don't care if the game's hard, at least the difficulty seems dependent on strategy and not on reflex like Ninja Gaiden game.

Tailzo

kevm3 said:
This game seems amazing. Seems like the sort of gritty, oft-ignored game that I could really dig into. Is this coming to America or would I have to import the Asian version with English option?
I love Sony pumping money into games like this. Reminds me of the PS1 days.

I've googled, checked ign, wikipedia, gamespot, ect. But I can't find anything confirming a western release. I'm afraid this will be another case like ryu ga gotoku kenzan!. If the asian version is already transelated, should it take this long to announce a western release?

There has been no announcement yet. But the voice-acting in the Asian version is in English and there will be English text available. As long as you don't consider importing a hassle, you should probably do it.

Tailzo

templeusox said:
There has been no announcement yet. But the voice-acting in the Asian version is in English and there will be English text available. As long as you don't consider importing a hassle, you should probably do it.

Will be...?

Play-asia doesn't ship to Norway.

Doctor_No

It's funny...

Couple days back, Demon Soul was upgraded to Version 1.01 (via automatic-update)

Before, If I checked my Trophies in-game it was Japanese, but if I checked my Trophies from the XMB (using my US account) it was in English. After the update, its all in English, regardless of where I check from.

This game by all respects seems like it had the English audience in mind from the beginning. The English voice acting is superb, only complaint would be when you return to your flesh-form the text is "You Revive". WTF. . .

I might be wrong, but the game might have global servers. All the text in the game is pre-canned, hence, tips for other players left in Japanese should be easily translated in any language. You can't type stupid 2ch shit like "オワタ\(^o^)/” in this game。The online tips should be relevent for anyone in the world.

2real4tv

DeathGlobe said:
I've never imported a game but judging from those screens above and the impressions I just might.

Yeah Iam in the same boat...any tips or recommended sites for import to US(NY).

Ello

Doctor_No said:
It's funny...

Couple days back, Demon Soul was upgraded to Version 1.01 (via automatic-update)

Before, If I checked my Trophies in-game it was Japanese, but if I checked my Trophies from the XMB (using my US account) it was in English. After the update, its all in English, regardless of where I check from.

This game by all respects seems like it had the English audience in mind from the beginning. The English voice acting is superb, only complaint would be when you return to your flesh-form the text is "You Revive". WTF. . .

I might be wrong, but the game might have global servers. All the text in the game is pre-canned, hence, tips for other players left in Japanese should be easily translated in any language. You can't type stupid 2ch shit like "オワタ\(^o^)/” in this game。The online tips should be relevent for anyone in the world.

So the trophies are not region locked? If so I'll import this game.

eXistor

I haven't watched too many streams (don't wanna spoil myself too much), but is there a focus on exploration like in King's Field or is this more action-orientated? Or perhaps a healthy balance between the two?

ChrisD84

I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere in the thread, but in the asian version, are the ingame menus etc also in english ?

I think i might just give in and take a chance on importing it if they are :D

BadAss84 said:
I'm sure this has already been answered somewhere in the thread, but in the asian version, are the ingame menus etc also in english ?

I think i might just give in and take a chance on importing it if they are :D

100% yes, English everything in the Asian version.

Damn, not much action in the thread since we're all just waiting out the release. Doctor_No, thanks for the impressions and awesome pictures. I didn't realize there were so many sweet weapons. And that armor? Bad-fucking-ass. Can't wait for this one, not long at all. Not one god damn bit. It'll be nice to actually start talking strategy on GAF once many of us have it!

So let's keep this thread alive! And if there is any new information to update with, let me know and I'll go ahead and update OP.

Doctor_No

Ello said:
So the trophies are not region locked? If so I'll import this game.

Trophies aren't region locked. Most of the time Japanese game trophy list will come up in Japanese in your trophy list, for Demon Soul it seems to actually notice you are playing with an English-language account and will automatically translate it into English for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom