• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

vehn

Always-honest said:
so i learned you can beat this can in under 55 minutes..

okaaaay.. But that wll take you MONTHS right?.. GODDAMN..

nah it only takes 55 minutes :D just watch the video and copy his moves!

vehn

ughhh I go to 1-1 and black phantom executioner miralda is not there... Is it the same place from where she was at in pure white? Or is it because I killed her in pure white, she won't show up in pure black??

Also the wiki says that you can't go back to the nexus when entering the world as it will bring the world tendency up... that still true in these events?

vehn said:
ughhh I go to 1-1 and black phantom executioner miralda is not there... Is it the same place from where she was at in pure white? Or is it because I killed her in pure white, she won't show up in pure black??

Also the wiki says that you can't go back to the nexus when entering the world as it will bring the world tendency up... that still true in these events?

She should show up in pure black, standing on the other side of the door (right side if I remember correctly). Going back to Nexus can screw up your world tendency but shouldn't for those events. Don't quote me on this though, I play on servers were you actually have to work for those pure tendencies :D

oracrest

vehn said:

you can change world tendency from the server pure white (or i guess pure black right now) when you are in a level, but it will revert back the next time you leave the level, and go back. (or maybe it's stop the game, and start up again, freshly connecting to the servers.)

Skilletor said:
I guess I started playing at a good time for beginners.

What is world tendency and why should I care?

world tendency is a reflection of key things that you have done in a level. several specific things affect world tendency going to black or white. Once pure white or black is attained, some unique events/characters/items may appear on unlock. As the more basic example, when you start the game in Boletaria 1-1, there is a side passage behind the first left enemy. In white world tendency, the door at the end of this passage will be open, and you can explore the area beyond it.

If is all seems too confusing, don't sweat it. It wasn't until a second playthrough that I really started diving into the world tendency events, and it doesn't hamper the game much to miss out on things like this.

Edit: Skilletor, it's also worth noting that there is a server event happening this month which from now till halloween has the servers set all worlds to pure black. Otherwise, the tendencies would be a reflection of your own actions, mixed in with some influence of the servers, which is in turn a reflection of what other players online are doing.

vehn

the FUCK. All the world tendencies are neutral right now. It was definitely pure white yesterday, and looking at examples online it's not pure black right now. I did die once in 1-1 while alive and now the stone is blacker. Why would they make it neutral right now and not tell us -_- Was hoping to finish everything before new vegas tomorrow, guess I'll just use the remaining stones I have

vehn said:
the FUCK. All the world tendencies are neutral right now. It was definitely pure white yesterday, and looking at examples online it's not pure black right now. I did die once in 1-1 while alive and now the stone is blacker. Why would they make it neutral right now and not tell us -_- Was hoping to finish everything before new vegas tomorrow, guess I'll just use the remaining stones I have
it said PWWT was 6-18th, maybe there's a brief period of neutrality before it goes PBWT?

Canova

Banned
Skilletor said:
I guess I started playing at a good time for beginners.

What is world tendency and why should I care?

The worlds are going to be pure black in a couple of days, just saying...

TP

vehn said:

You had to log on and off the server a few times for it to completely shift, I started neutral and after 3 connections im at Pure Black.

Rabbitwork said:
two questions since i'm back in this game with the WT events going down:

-can you have white character tendency even if everything is PBWT? (as it will be starting tomorrow)
-does character tendency carry through playthroughs?

the idea here is that i didn't really bother with it but with PBWT i'll have a few BPs to take care of and slide my CT toward white so i can work on getting the friend's ring.
can someone kindly answer these for me? much appreciated.

Canova

Banned
Jeo said:
You had to log on and off the server a few times for it to completely shift, I started neutral and after 3 connections im at Pure Black.

so it's already pure black? it's gonna be rough going for our beginner fellows

time to get me some colorless demon's souls

two questions since i'm back in this game with the WT events going down:

-can you have white character tendency even if everything is PBWT? (as it will be starting tomorrow)
-does character tendency carry through playthroughs?

the idea here is that i didn't really bother with it but with PBWT i'll have a few BPs to take care of and slide my CT toward white so i can work on getting the friend's ring.

- yes, character tendency has nothing to do with world tendency
- yes, character tendency carries through

Zzoram

It's too bad they never patched Luck to be useful. IIRC it increases drop rate in general but not the quality of drops. Since you can't sell junk items it just means a lot of scraps left on the ground.

Zzoram

Videogamesplus.ca has a sale for $19.99 so I rebought the game :lol

I originally bought it there for $69.99, traded it in to EB for $40.

Final price paid works out to be $50 (before tax) and I contributed to two new sales of the game.

canova said:
- yes, character tendency has nothing to do with world tendency
- yes, character tendency carries through
thank you kindly. still need to beat the game my first time, probably not the best to try for it during PBWT; we'll see how it goes.

Zzoram said:
It's too bad they never patched Luck to be useful. IIRC it increases drop rate in general but not the quality of drops. Since you can't sell junk items it just means a lot of scraps left on the ground.

Blue-Blood Sword thinks it's useful, as do the many PVP'ers that use it. Otherwise yeah it affects not what drops, but how many drop. so with high luck you'll get multiple grasses etc. but yeah it won't affect your chances of getting a pure bladestone. unfortunately ;)

Zzoram

If there was one thing I could change about the game, Luck improving the quality of drops would be it. Not being able to aggro NPCs would be second (since the game autosaves constantly and all it takes is one jerk friend to take the controller to ruin a character).

It sucks to know that if you don't perfectly hunt every Gecko in the game you'll need like 10 new game+ to get all the weapon crafting achievements.

oracrest

My one change would be More accurate collision. I actually found killing NPC's helpful with the mephistopheles quest.

Actually, thats a second wish. First would be archstone 6. :(

bdouble

Just an fyi for the new people if you don't want to go into pure black you can always play offline. Course then you don't get the blood stains or messages.

Anyways I am sort of new too and on my second stint of the game. Didn't really get into it till the past couple of days and damn is this game addicting. I keep thinking about it all day and what I want to tackle next. Just taking my time though. Cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2 working on 3-1 and just need to kill 4-1 boss.

I have a few questions about gear. I'm a dex character with of course lots of endurance and vitality.

Current weapons are a Dragon Long Sword +1 and the Crescent Falcion because well my Uchi+2 isn't cutting it quite yet (should with +3 and S on Dex just need that damn chunk of blade stone grr).

So the questions come first the shield. I have just the standard Steel Shield currently and can't find an upgrade. I don't want to put points in strength to get Purple. Is the Kite shield good once its upgraded? Should I man up and use adjucator and dodge more? I find right now I value the 100% block more.

Second is my sticky compound long bow. Right now its like +6 or 7. Why do I never see people saying more than a +5? That thing powns right now and I wouldn't be clearing 3-1 so easily with out it. 2 shotting those octopus head bitches.

Btw Damn is 3-x spooky. This game just keeps delivering.

soldat7

bdouble said:
Just an fyi for the new people if you don't want to go into pure black you can always play offline. Course then you don't get the blood stains or messages.

My friend just gave the game back to me because of this. :lol

Time to dust off the old avatar!

bdouble said:
Btw Damn is 3-x spooky. This game just keeps delivering.

I can't say enough nice things about World 3...there is just so much creativity crammed in there...I won't say anymore but I loved it.

Canova

Banned
Fucking black phantoms are brutal in pure black world. they just got stronger and do more damage. Got invaded and killed 3 times in a row, damnit

Zzoram

canova said:
Damn, Lvl 9 character in NG+ pure black world is notorious!!! enemies one-shot me most of the time

How did you get to NG+ at lvl 9?

Enemies 1-shot you most of the time regardless of level usually anyways.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
How did you get to NG+ at lvl 9?

Enemies 1-shot you most of the time regardless of level usually anyways.

I've beaten the game with several low level characters; Lvl 1, 9, 11, and 14.

oh no armor by the way, and a buckler as my shield

ninj4junpei said:
I started a new character today, not expecting the world tendencies to be black yet. FFFFFFUUUU-
start a new character offline. neutral wt.

canova said:
I've beaten the game with several low level characters; Lvl 1, 9, 11, and 14.

oh no armor by the way, and a buckler as my shield
people do some weird shit in this game.

Zzoram said:
If there was one thing I could change about the game, Luck improving the quality of drops would be it. Not being able to aggro NPCs would be second (since the game autosaves constantly and all it takes is one jerk friend to take the controller to ruin a character).

It sucks to know that if you don't perfectly hunt every Gecko in the game you'll need like 10 new game+ to get all the weapon crafting achievements.
i would make the tendency (both character and world) less obtuse. granted, had i the time (or inclination) to pour triple digit hours into the game and do NG+ over and over, i guess it wouldn't bother me as much.

Canova

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
start a new character offline. neutral wt.

no man, pure black world is where it's at. not only the the enemies get much harder, even the invading black phantoms do a lot more damage than you. fun

Rabbitwork said:
people do some weird shit in this game.

no, I'm literally nothing compare to some of the most hardcore Demon's Souls players.

canova said:
no man, pure black world is where it's at. not only the the enemies get much harder, even the invading black phantoms do a lot more damage than you. fun
well sure if you're wanting a challenge; just saying to the above poster if they wanted an easier go of it for a new char, just go offline.

Zzoram

I'm not watching the speed run yet because I haven't beaten the game and don't want to be spoiled. I'll definitely watch it when I do beat the game though.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Time to get me some colorless demon's souls and fully upgrade my Adjudicator's Shield on my Meatcleaver melee duder! These pure tendancy world events kick ass.

oracrest

Are there just the 3 movement speeds? slow as dirt (no running), slight jog, and then being able to roll fast?

I finally got my melee guy with Brushwood armor to be able to roll really fast. Feels strange.

Shinjitsu

Banned
oracrest said:
Are there just the 3 movement speeds? slow as dirt (no running), slight jog, and then being able to roll fast?

I finally got my melee guy with Brushwood armor to be able to roll really fast. Feels strange.

You can sprint by holding down O.

Zzoram

There are only 3 equipment burden speeds. Screw armor, even with tons of HP and armor you'll still die in 2 or 3 hits instead of 1. Might as well go pure offensive and just get good at blocking and dodging.

oracrest

Zzoram said:
There are only 3 equipment burden speeds. Screw armor, even with tons of HP and armor you'll still die in 2 or 3 hits instead of 1. Might as well go pure offensive and just get good at blocking and dodging.

I would, but I am one of those stubborn players that plays the character that I think looks most interesting, and suffers through any downsides. In this game, I really like how the armors look, so I am sticking with them.

I am thinking of doing a Mage character next and go with Sage Freke's hood and robe though.

I find that dodging is a key part of playing a close range melee player. Not dodging out of weapon range, but utilizing the moment of invincibility at the key moment of the enemy's swing. It's very reminiscent of the parry system in third strike, or the running dodge in Monster Hunter.

Maddog

So GAF, I beat 1-1 and now have just been messing around and am soul level 24 and kinda am getting tired of not making very much progress. I've made it to the boss of 1-2 several times but my arrows always seem useless.

What should I tackle next?

ZeroRay

Maddog said:
So GAF, I beat 1-1 and now have just been messing around and am soul level 24 and kinda am getting tired of not making very much progress. I've made it to the boss of 1-2 several times but my arrows always seem useless.

2-1 is a good idea since you'll get a lot of ores to upgrade your weapons with. Or try 4-1 if you're up to the challenge to open up the best level up areas in the game. Also 4-1 gives you the Crescent Falchion; your best weapon for a while if you're a magic user.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
This game is so fun! I started a new campaign with a female knight after about 4 months of not playing so I was expecting the worst...
But I managed to defeat Vanguard(?) in the tutorial and finish 1-1 without deaths! So satisfying to have a great start after flailing around before. Haven't checked my soul level but I brought strength to 16 and want to make my character a mage-priest-knight.

/end bragging

Okay thats it. I am giving in and going to buy this game after work.

Now I just need to find some time to play it with Medal of Honor screaming my name.

Gt5 on Nov. 2nd and the new DLC for Medal of honor.

then Black Ops around the corner.

Maddog said:

4-1.

obtain crescent falchion.

destroy game.

Maddog

MidnightRider said:

Now I just need to find some time to play it with Medal of Honor screaming my name.

Should someone tell him?:lol

_Xenon_

Banned
So if you die in a boss battle you have to start ALL the way back from the beginning of this level? Man this game has issues ... is there an easy mode or something? I don't feel like to repeat the same shit again and again.

oracrest

_Xenon_ said:
So if you die in a boss battle you have to start ALL the back from the beginning of this level? Man this game has issues ... is there an easy mode or something? I don't feel like to repeat the same shit again and again.

Yeah, easy mode is called give up.

_Xenon_ said:
So if you die in a boss battle you have to start ALL the way back from the beginning of this level? Man this game has issues ... is there an easy mode or something? I don't feel like to repeat the same shit again and again.
and yet you bought demon's souls?

also, black phantom giant depraved ones are BULLSHIT. trying to get the primeval demon and bp selen in 5-2 and those fuckers be rough.

MidnightRider said:

well there's one less reason, it slipped and sony don't know when the fuck they're bringing it out (again).

_Xenon_ said:
Which boss are you having trouble on? Devs just forgot to implement easy mode. That's all :p A couple of the bosses are weak to fire, so use turpentine with your weapon.

_Xenon_

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
and yet you bought demon's souls?

also, black phantom giant depraved ones are BULLSHIT. trying to get the primeval demon and bp selen in 5-2 and those fuckers be rough.
I picked it up dirt cheap 5 months ago, beat the first level but paused for quite a while. Restarted the game just now and died like 5 times before the second boss (2 black knights + 3 archers). Finally got to the final boss but died again :( Now I just hope I spent the money on some popcorn movie rather than this.

_Xenon_

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Which boss are you having trouble on? Devs just forgot to implement easy mode. That's all :p A couple of the bosses are weak to fire, so use turpentine with your weapon.
The big ass knight with a shield (should be the 2nd one?). Actually he's not the real issue but the dudes before him are really pain in the ass. I can't image how to deal with the rest of the game if none of the levels has a check point or such.

Top Bottom