• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls (PS5) Sold Over 1.4 Million Units

Lognor

Banned
These numbers look good compared to returnal, but not so great compared to ratchet and clank. The latter was never a huge hit until the ps5 version. But it blew up. And souls games are bigger than they've ever been so 1.4m seems light. I could see this being ported to pc to pick up some additional sales. Souls games do very well on pc. And wasn't there a rumor before that this game was coming to pc?

Airbus Jr

Banned
These numbers look good compared to returnal, but not so great compared to ratchet and clank. The latter was never a huge hit until the ps5 version. But it blew up. And souls games are bigger than they've ever been so 1.4m seems light. I could see this being ported to pc to pick up some additional sales. Souls games do very well on pc. And wasn't there a rumor before that this game was coming to pc?
Demon Souls came out on PS5 release and Rachet came out in 2021?

Also another stealth console warring and port begging comments wich has nothing to do with the thread

This a second warning for you neo member

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It will go far beyond as long as they keep it PS exclusive with no PC porting BS.

266.gif

It was in the geforce now leak which has been proven true with actraiser remake

You? Since pretty much every post you make is you trolling...

No Way Meme GIF

Yeh it was such a bad return on investment that it led to them acquiring the studio.
What does the studio have to do with it. Are you saying that if this remake would have been developed by another studio it wouldn't have sold 1.4 million?

ethomaz

Banned
No they aren't. But these numbers aren't bad considering the shortages.
Yes, they are.

Just check which Souls game sold more than 1.4m units on PlayStation in less than 10 months.

Maybe Dark Souls 3… Dark Souls sold way less.

That is the reason why Bloodborne is considered a huge success in terms of sales… it even opened the doors to Dark Souls 3 sells more on PlayStation.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why are you talking out your ass?
Let me help your foolishness...

Dark Souls 3(alone) 1 month sales number is over two times higher.

While you get educated by googling that also google the Dark Souls series total sales.
How much Dark Souls 3 sold on PlayStation?

This Demon’s Souls (2020) seems to be the best launch for the game there.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes, they are.

Just check which Souls game sold more than 1.4m units on PlayStation in less than 10 months.

Maybe Dark Souls 3… Dark Souls sold way less.

That is the reason why Bloodborne is considered a huge success in terms of sales… it even opened the doors to Dark Souls 3 sells more on PlayStation.
Quoted you before your edit.
You fail

ethomaz

Banned
That's a spin you were wrong man up admit it and move along.
Spin of actual sales? C’mon… just accept you are trying to twist the actual results in something bad lol

If things doesn’t change Demon’s Souls (2020) will probably become the best selling Soulsborne game on PlayStation… that is what the sales tells you outside the usual spin.

Maybe you mistook the franchise as a 10 million seller on PlayStation when it is more like a 2 million series (Bloodborne probably hit 3 million but it is not official).

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Demon Souls came out on PS5 release and Rachet came out in 2021?

Also another stealth console warring and port begging comments wich has nothing to do with the thread

This a second warning for you neo member
My bad on the port begging. But I thought there was a rumor of it coming to PC, but I'll drop it.

As for the Demon's souls and Ratchet comparison, did Demon Souls suddenly stop selling? No? So it's had several months of additional sales and still Ratchet outsold it? Add to that the fact that Demons Souls has been on sale a number of times, and I can't think of Ratchet going on sale yet. So I think it's an apt comparison. Both high profile PS5 exclusives. I guess if you compare it to Returnal Demon souls has done very well. I think Returnal has failed to hit a million yet.

Finally, where can I see warnings I've gotten? As you've pointed out, I'm new so I didn't see a way to see that. thx

It really was a fantastic game for me and I would love to see more of these games get this treatment or even a proper sequel at some point, maybe involving Bluepoint.
I don't really follow sales figures so I can generally only comment when a game either sells really high numbers like GTA does or if I knew that a game was to only 7 copies or something else really low. We'll likely never know if it was successful or not because we don't know what their sales targets would have been so we're not in a position to judge. Obviously they would rather have sold 14 million copies rather than 1.4 million copies, as any company would but that in no way signifies whether they see this as a success or a failure.
Of course we can feel that it should have sold more or that it sold more than we expected but that's no more than opinion and it's difficult to imagine any company being concerned with that.
Although acquiring Bluepoint had likely been going on since before the launch of the console and and I can't imagine that it's happened simply due to sales figures I would think that it would at least have some way in the final decision to own that studio.

S0ULZB0URNE

Spin of actual sales? C’mon… just accept you are trying to twist the actual results in something bad lol
Your edits are time stamped.
Over 3 million ONE month sales vs Demon's Souls almost a years worth 1.4 million sold.

Last posted Dark Souls 3 sales were at 10 million with the last posted Dark Souls series sales being at 27 million.
Keep in mind time has passed since these numbers were posted.

I don't respect people like you who can't admit they were wrong.

ethomaz

Banned
Your edits are time stamped.
Over 3 million ONE month sales vs Demon's Souls almost a years worth 1.4 million sold.

Last posted Dark Souls 3 sales were at 10 million with the last posted Dark Souls series sales being at 27 million.
Keep in mind time has passed since these numbers were posted.

I don't respect people like you who can't admit they were wrong.
You don’t need to respect me… just accept facts.
How much of these 3 million where on PlayStation?

Sales of these games are around 2 million lifetime on PlayStation with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 maybe being the ones to reach 3 million.

Demon’s Souls (2020) with that numbers has the change to be the best selling Soulsborne game on PlayStation.

If you are blind to see the sales potential of that franchise on PlayStation then don’t come here to try to discuss with useless combined platforms numbers.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can we all just agree that 1.4 million doesn't get Jim Ryan + Herman Hulst excited? It's not a needle mover. These types of games, as good as they supposedly are, don't have breakout potential. It's a genre better left to third parties and smaller developers.

Let's stop squabbling about what we disagree on (see: the definition of "good") and start uniting on something we can all agree on.

S0ULZB0URNE

You don’t need to respect me… just accept facts.
How much of these 3 million where on PlayStation?

Sales of these games are around 2 million lifetime on PlayStation with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 maybe being the ones to reach 3 million.

Demon’s Souls (2020) with that numbers has the change to be the best selling Soulsborne game on PlayStation.
Not sure how you aren't banned tbh.

It's 10 million as of a few years ago.

The only on PlayStation spin you are attempting I saw a mile away.

Do you have links to how many sold on PlayStation?

S0ULZB0URNE

Can we all just agree that 1.4 million doesn't get Jim Ryan + Herman Hulst excited? It's not a needle mover. These types of games, as good as they supposedly are, don't have breakout potential. It's a genre better left to third parties and smaller developers.

Let's stop squabbling about what we disagree on (see: the definition of "good") and start uniting on something we can all agree on.
Why are you even in this thread?

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure how you aren't banned tbh.

It's 10 million as of a few years ago.

The only on PlayStation spin you are attempting I saw a mile away.

Do you have links to how many sold on PlayStation?
Man you are really twisting.

It was 10m across all platform.

Demon’s Souls was never released outside PlayStation… c’mon.

What Souls games sells on PC, Xbox, etc has nothing to do with what it sells on PlayStation.

Last edited:

tommib

No, we can’t agree on having these experiences being made only by third parties because they don’t have the money and resources. Demon’s Souls is still arguably the most graphically impressive game out there and that comes at a price. A first party price. Premium tech-showcase + niche genre can only be fuelled by first party money.

S0ULZB0URNE

Nothing to show and you continue to not have a point.

I'm waiting on the numbers for your claims.
I posted mine and again I'll say...I'm not sure how you aren't banned with these types of posts?

ethomaz

Banned
Nothing to show and you continue to not have a point.

I'm waiting on the numbers for your claims.
I posted mine and again I'll say...I'm not sure how you aren't banned with these types of posts?
3rd post in the thread.

More if you wish.

Now why you are with the “10 million” nonsense in this thread is really weird… No Souls game ever reached anywhere close to 10 million on PlayStation.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

Why do you say these types of games don't have breakout potential? Look at Dark Souls. That broke out in a big way. The same *could* happen with demons souls, or it could have. It didn't.

S0ULZB0URNE

No, we can’t agree on having these experiences being made only by third parties because they don’t have the money and resources. Demon’s Souls is still arguably the most graphically impressive game out there and that comes at a price. A first party price. Premium tech-showcase + niche genre can only be fuelled by first party money.
Going by Bloodborne 3 million+
Dark Souls Series 27+
Demon's Souls 1.4+
These types of games aren't niche anymore.

Keep in mind Sekiro and the Nioh games sales(I don't know the numbers)

Elden Ring will be huge.

So you don't have any reports which only means you were making up BS just to argue?

I said most games are successful when they're making a profit. That's a common business practice.
So having a different opinion is arguing? The thread is about the games sales, that's what we are here to discuss.

pratyush

1.4 m is quite impressive at that price range for a niche game. I have PlayStation 5 since February this year and I haven't bought it yet because of the price and the fact that I actually suck at Soulsbourne games. So I didn't want to pay so much for a game that I may give up after some time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
All you have done is (troll) try and diminish Demon's Souls success.

Criticism and skepticism isn't trolling. We're all allowed to give our honest opinion on the numbers and THANK GOD we all come to this at different angles. It would be boring if we all said and believed the same thing.

tommib

Going by Bloodborne 3 million+
Dark Souls Series 27+
Demon's Souls 1.4+
These types of games aren't niche anymore.

Keep in mind Sekiro and the Nioh games sales(I don't know the numbers)

Elden Ring will be huge.
Sekiro sold 4 million. I remember seeing that number somewhere. But that’s on 3 platforms.

NahaNago

Yep. With all the press pushing this game 1.4 million is a really really low figure, I would even say it's a failure.

PS5 sold like 8 million until last April so no, install base is not an excuse.
Failure seems a bit harsh but I would say that the sales seem kind of average to pretty much meh for what looks like a AAA game.
Demon's Souls is a niche title in an already niche genre of games. Even Souls veterans will say that Demons has probably the most convoluted systems of any FROM game. Selling over 1 million copies in less than a year, for this game, is really solid.
So their is what like 1 million souls fans then? The problem though is that this was I guess a AAA game so I seriously doubt 1 million would normally be good enough for a publisher. I guess it is a good thing that released miles morales as well then at launch.

I'm really questioning if releasing demon souls at launch was a good idea since even the new console hype didn't create much sales for the game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So having a different opinion is arguing? The thread is about the games sales, that's what we are here to discuss.

You were not expressing your opinion. You were telling others how Sony expected Demon Souls to sell. You don't say Sony was expecting x amount of copies sold with literally no information to back up your claim.

People who follow video game sales guess the budget of the title and then estimate how much money the game made based on sales figures. It should be common knowledge that Sony would want to recoup their investment in Demon Souls and then start making a profit.

What Souls games sells on PC, Xbox, etc has nothing to do with what it sells on PlayStation.
Since you 2 keep going at it....

Steamspy had PC version of DS3 listed as 900k owners in it's first month back in the day, which would mean 2.1 million were between PS4 and X1. in UK physical PS4 sales were almost 3 times that of XBOX. 500k of that 3 million was from Japan and Asia where PS4 was pretty dominant at the time. Unless NA X1 sales were insanely high, half that 3 million 1 month sales was probably Playstation.

S0ULZB0URNE

3rd post in the thread.

More if you wish.

Now why you are with the “10 million” nonsense in this thread is really weird… No Souls game ever reached anywhere close to 10 million on PlayStation.
Where are the numbers?
I see you posting with no links.
Am I missing something?

tommib

They sell incredibly well, but to a niche audience. That audience buys every game that FROM puts out. The games do not have mass appeal, which makes them "niche", by definition.
Now, Elden Ring may change that, as it should have more crossover appeal.
I’m still amazed that something like Sekiro sold more than 5 million copies by July 2020. Faith in humanity restored.

Why are you talking out your ass?
Let me help your foolishness...

Dark Souls 3(alone) 1 month sales number is over two times higher.

While you get educated by googling that also google the Dark Souls series total sales.
Dark Souls 3 launched in the middle of the console generation, on multiple platforms. Obviously, the sales would be higher due to the wider availability, as compared to Demon's, which launched on one hard-to-obtain console.

Venza

Banned
They sell incredibly well, but to a niche audience. That audience buys every game that FROM puts out. The games do not have mass appeal, which makes them "niche", by definition.
Now, Elden Ring may change that, as it should have more crossover appeal.
I'm one of those guys. Bought BloodBorne first and every single games From has put out. The From soulsborne series is probably the most consistent and well crafted series in gaming. Many people still put BB as their game of the generation over Witcher 3.

I’m still amazed that something like Sekiro sold more than 5 million copies by July 2020. Faith in humanity restored.
That is due to a couple factors. You have the built in FROM player base, who buys all the games. You have a much bigger advertising budget from Activision, as compared to Bandai Namco. Also, the game won many GOTY awards, which naturally bumps up sales over the long term.

Plus, it's a good game.

I'm one of those guys. Bought BloodBorne first and every single games From has put out. The From soulsborne series is probably the most consistent and well crafted series in gaming. Many people still put BB as their game of the generation over Witcher 3.
I'm exactly the same as you then. BB was my first, got the platinum. Then I played DS2 Scholar of the First Sin, then Dark Souls 3, then Demon's Souls on PS3, then Dark Souls on PS3, then obviously Sekiro and I played the Remake.
And I most definitely put Bloodborne over TW3. No contest for me.

ethomaz

Banned
Since you 2 keep going at it....

Steamspy had PC version of DS3 listed as 900k owners in it's first month back in the day, which would mean 2.1 million were between PS4 and X1. in UK physical PS4 sales were almost 3 times that of XBOX. 500k of that 3 million was from Japan and Asia where PS4 was pretty dominant at the time. Unless NA X1 sales were insanely high, half that 3 million 1 month sales was probably Playstation.
Exactly.

The game is sold in several Stores and not just Steam but in any case probably 1 million or more come from PlayStation.

That is like Bloodborne put it at lower results than Demon’s Souls and it is exactly why Demon’s Souls has the chance to be best selling on PlayStation platform… it did have better results in sales than Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3.

This a niche franchise on PlayStation that sells around 2 million per entry with only Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 being the ones to be guessed to reach/cross 3 million.

Bloodborne had an over 20 million userbase to sell.
Dark Souls 3 had a over 40 million userbase to sell.
Demon’s Souls a over 10 million userbase to sell.

It is basically the best results a Soulsborne had on PlayStantion ever.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Yes, all these famous PS5 ports which have never happened.

Sony still busy porting PS4 games, enjoy Uncharted 4, bro.

NonPhixion

Amazing job by Bluepoint, the game looks and plays great. Can't believe they hit 1.4 million in just 10 months on a brand new platform. The original barely hit a million lifetime, and it launched at the middle of the ps360 gen hahah! Excited for what they do next.

Top Bottom